Hail, Britannia

I'm glad to see that you're still working on this. I really think this thread is an impressive piece of worldbuilding and it's good to see you continue to spend time and energy on this. One question I have is the current makeup of programming in the Imperial Federation. Does the BBC act as the central hub of organization for programming or are their Dominion organizations with local control, akin to local television stations?

Glad to see this returning. I love the worldbuilding of this thread, so it's good that you're still continuing this. One aspect I've enjoyed reading about the royalty of the world, so I'm excited to see what new ideas you have regarding them. When in the year are you planning to post the revamped version?

Hi All,

Wow, I cannot believe it has been more than 18 months since I last posted in this thread!

As I mentioned in July 2021, I had fallen out of love with the project and was really daunted by the sheer scale of the retcon and revisions needed to realign the established lore.

Over the last 6 months I have been working on a revamped version of Hail, Britannia which I hope to begin to share with you all this year. Some content and lore will remain the same, but will be updated and modernised (as my skills, knowledge and research have improved), while others will be completely new. I am incredibly grateful to those people here on the forum who have suggested interesting divergences, or allowed me to bounce ideas off of, both with the original and with my planning with the revamped version.

Feel free to ask any questions :) but I won't be spoiling anything - so expect vague answers :)

Leinad
Oh, yeah! What lovely news to hear!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Hail Britannia indeed!
Welcome back! Really looking forward to seeing what you do with the new version of Hail Britannia!
Nice to hear!
Oh, yeah! What lovely news to hear!

Thank you all :D I really hope you enjoy the world of Hail, Britannia 2.0!

I'm glad to see that you're still working on this. I really think this thread is an impressive piece of worldbuilding and it's good to see you continue to spend time and energy on this. One question I have is the current makeup of programming in the Imperial Federation. Does the BBC act as the central hub of organization for programming or are their Dominion organizations with local control, akin to local television stations?

Thanks :D It's been a real labour of love (both V1 and V2) so I am overjoyed that people enjoy it and consider it a good piece of worldbuilding.

I suppose what I had imagined was a sort of situation where there is the overarching BBC organisation, which acts in some ways as a central hub for programming (world news, talk shows, coverage of national events, and other nationwide programming) but that each Dominion has a local organisation (something like BBC Virginia, or the Ohio Broadcasting Corporation) that handles domestic news, programming etc. So sort of akin to local television stations. Or a bt like how the UK BBC of OTL has regional news programmes/divisions like BBC Look North etc.

Glad to see this returning. I love the worldbuilding of this thread, so it's good that you're still continuing this. One aspect I've enjoyed reading about the royalty of the world, so I'm excited to see what new ideas you have regarding them. When in the year are you planning to post the revamped version?

Thanks :D like I say its great to hear people have enjoyed it! Yes as may have been clear I too find monarchies/royalty fascinating. I'm looking forward to expand on them in the new series - with one thing I'm toying with is to initally go through wikipages for each British monarch - to explore the events of their reigns etc. One thing about V2 is that the concept of a "crowned republic" is more mainstream and a recgonised form of government - basically OTL Sweden's system exported internationally.

I don't have a definitive date in mind - and would rather not promise anything in case I can't deliver. What I am doing is producing as much content (mainly wikiboxes and pages) as I can when I can, so that when I do launch the new thread I have plenty to show!

Random question but did you have to redo a bunch of boxes because of the Queen-Empress’s death?

Yes unfortunately so.

Hi All,

Wow, I cannot believe it has been more than 18 months since I last posted in this thread!

As I mentioned in July 2021, I had fallen out of love with the project and was really daunted by the sheer scale of the retcon and revisions needed to realign the established lore.

Over the last 6 months I have been working on a revamped version of Hail, Britannia which I hope to begin to share with you all this year. Some content and lore will remain the same, but will be updated and modernised (as my skills, knowledge and research have improved), while others will be completely new. I am incredibly grateful to those people here on the forum who have suggested interesting divergences, or allowed me to bounce ideas off of, both with the original and with my planning with the revamped version.

Feel free to ask any questions :) but I won't be spoiling anything - so expect vague answers :)

Leinad
Is the new timeline going to diverge from OTL in more ways than the original? For all the unique and original elements it had, it did feel at times like "OTL but the American Empire is supplanted by the British one"

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Excited for the new thread!

Is the new timeline going to diverge from OTL in more ways than the original? For all the unique and original elements it had, it did feel at times like "OTL but the American Empire is supplanted by the British one"

Yes that is indeed the plan. I think V1 was very much about me getting to grips with worldbuilding - hence why it followed a parallel history to OTL. V2 is hopefully going to be very divergent, as I have planned out most of the major events throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. I hope the feel of the TL will be recognisable to OTL, but also feel very different and divergent.

For one, while the British remain a superpower, which comes with caveats and its own issues, there are also several other superpowers still in play, including growing regional and great powers - and an ongoing semi-Cold War equivalent. I hope that doesn't give too much away :)

is there going to be more fictional characters in V2?

Are Europe and America going to be more fractured with more countries?

Will there be more constitulent monarchies like the palatinates in British North America or the constitulent-countries of the Nordic Federation?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Urge to read new version rising.

And don't forget to update infoboxes, especially the monarch.

Of course!

is there going to be more fictional characters in V2?

While there will be more fictional characters in certain parts of the world - the majority of figures will be OTL.

Are Europe and America going to be more fractured with more countries?

Watch this space. America (North, South and Central) has undergone some changes, but generally I was quite happy with how it was mapped out, now Europe on the other hand is very different than both OTL and V1.

Will there be more constitulent monarchies like the palatinates in British North America or the constitulent-countries of the Nordic Federation?

The palatinates themselves have undergone some revisions and developments - changing how many there are and where they are. But yes there are a few more constituent monarchies compared to V1.