Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

Hmmmmm................. hot headed Marcus Aurelius or hot headed Petillius Cerialis. Things are going to get violent out on the steppes - assuming a catastrophe doesn't ensue after Cassius' death.

?
Why did the heir to the Empire think it was a good idea to head out into the steppes of all places? Who supported this idiocy?

hopefully now the Empire can take northern barbarians more seriously. Whoever is second in command might be able to salvage the situation, if not they could use the Goth's victory high to lure them into a trap once they're in roman territory.

A good way to fight off steppe cavalry would be some war elephants. Excellent for scaring horses and people, though sooner or later anti-elephant tactics will develop.

You know I wonder if the ancient world ever had elephant mounted Scorpios or Ballista.

Another innovation that the Romans could develop is some kind of kite shield for their cataphracts along with resting the lance under the armpit like later European Knights.

Why did the heir to the Empire think it was a good idea to head out into the steppes of all places? Who supported this idiocy?

Probably wanted to be like Caesar with the "first Roman general to lead an army over the Rhine/into Britain" mentality.

Hecatee

Donor
I love it’s not all good for the Empire, let’s see what happens now
That's important to me that the Empire also has setbacks. That's one of the reasons why I introduced a strong cavalry allied to the Goths, and this bad fall... The Empire has had too much good times recently, it's time it has a somewhat more cunning foe and does not have it all going for it :)

Brivoluta, Gallia Belgica, July 180

Hecatee

Donor
On the occasion of my birthday a small light update set in my city of Brussels, to whom I've given here a fictious name based on one of the city's etymologies... Enjoy !

Brivoluta, Gallia Belgica, July 180

Amnorix had alway been lucky. Son of the villicus of a large domain in the Senne valley, he had spent his earliest days in the house of his father’s employer for his mother had served as wet nurse to the baby of the domina, born two days later than him. This meant she got fed good food to make sure she had enough milk for the young dominus and her own son.

Amnorix’ luck had held as both him and the young dominus survived the sicknesses of youth and turned into turbulent children running all over the domain under the supervision of their nurses, becoming friends along the way.

Later on his friendship with the young dominus meant he had been authorized to attend to the lessons given by the pedagogue of the child. He had quickly shown good dispositions for his studies even if he was not always as attentive as he should be : the pedagogue’s cane was there for the purpose of teaching him discipline…

Beside the formal lessons that taught him how to read, write and do basic mathematics he was taught by his father who showed him the tricks to running an estate, managing slaves, and other skills expected of a villicus.

The family did not live at the domain : their house was a slightly larger than usual house in the small vicus of Brivoluta, alongside the river. Two dozens families lived there, in the marsh, near a ford and in a spot where fish was abundant : most families lived from the fishing and from providing additional labor to one of the three larger domains that controlled the region.

Amnorix had helped cows give birth, could recognize good wood for building, fish with a spear or a net, identify the good plants that helped stay in health, but knew also Homere and Livius, had read the Commentarii De Bello Gallico and some of the great Cicero’s discourses, in other words he was wise beyond his years.

This had not escaped Publius Claudius Matusegos, a prosperous farmer who was not yet rich enough for the equestrian census but was still one of the dominant land owners of the region. Inviting the father and the son in his tabularium on the 16th anniversary of Amnorix, he made them an offer he could not refuse : he’d send the boy just turned man to the school in Augustodunum, two weeks away from Brivoluta. The Maenianae were famous all over Gaul for offering the best education that could be given.

Matusegos would not even send his son there, for young Petrus’ intellect was a disappointment to his father who reckoned it would be better to invest into a loyal retainer that would keep the families’ fortune safe and improve on it thanks to higher learning. Amnorix would not be learning rethorics or any of the higher arts but would instead spend two years learning the basics of medicine, mechanics and improved agricultural methods…

Last edited:
Van harte proficiat en nog vele jaren in goede gezondheid en voorspoed!
Happy birthday, I wish you many more in good health and fortune!

And google translate:
Félicitations et nombreuses années en bonne santé et prévues!