Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

Hecatee

Donor
Thus the institutionalization of military logistics is born! And perhaps soon we shall see Legionary war games? And what about an Imperial General Staff?
So, logistics and a crude census of the area. A way to cut expenses and make more money!

Remember that its not because someone has an idea that it is always implemented... But yes, in effect that's the begining of a general staff like thinking, especially alongside the war gaming taking place at the Academia Militaria Practica since the end of Antonine's rule some 25 years earlier

I can but welcome you two. How does it read when read in one session instead of the weekly dose ? Does it seem coherent/consistant ?
I read it I think in 3 days. Work plus chores around the house kept me away. Your story now goes for some time and I am not even sure if can be read in one session. :D
I read it as a book and when had to put my phone away, like with good book I couldn’t wait when I will have time to get back to it. Also pretty educational. It is long time since I read something on Roman history - Slovak autor Vojtech Zamarovsky years ago.

I love it. This is the beginning of a census and other systems.
Didn't the Romans do a census? Other than the one on Senators etc. I'm pretty sure a lot of the figures for the population of Augustan Italy try and use the census of all Roman citizens from around that time, and there's a lot of debate on what exactly it included (e.g. men-only? men+women only? were children included?).

Hecatee

Donor
Didn't the Romans do a census? Other than the one on Senators etc. I'm pretty sure a lot of the figures for the population of Augustan Italy try and use the census of all Roman citizens from around that time, and there's a lot of debate on what exactly it included (e.g. men-only? men+women only? were children included?).
Yes they did, if only for tax purpose given that only citizens had to pay taxes on inheritance while non-citizen residents of the empire had taxes per head, at least until 212 and Caracalla's edict.

Yes they did, if only for tax purpose given that only citizens had to pay taxes on inheritance while non-citizen residents of the empire had taxes per head, at least until 212 and Caracalla's edict.

Just read something interesting actually, full Roman citizens did have to pay a head tax, but only those living outside of Italy (or outside of a city given full Italian rights)

EDIT: Not sure why that posted twice lol

Just read something interesting actually, full Roman citizens did have to pay a head tax, but only those living outside of Italy (or outside of a city given full Italian rights)

oh my bad I forgot they did a census I was just too excited by the innovation itself. I only really remember one census and I think it was from the beginning of commodus rule? I have been slacking off on Roman history for too long

Hecatee

Donor
Well the word "census" comes from latin does it not ? :p
I can't say if they did a census specifically under Commodus, but it would not be surprising given how long he ruled. Census are known from the Republican period onward, with multiple examples known in the 2nd century BCE for instance or those famously mentionned in the Bible for the time of Tiberius if I recall properly

Puzzle

Donor
I’ve just read through this, and it was a very satisfying read showing a nice upwards arc of progress. The steam engines seemed a bit excessive, but overall I’ve hugely enjoyed it.

Hecatee

Donor
I’ve just read through this, and it was a very satisfying read showing a nice upwards arc of progress. The steam engines seemed a bit excessive, but overall I’ve hugely enjoyed it.
Thanks ! Well the steam engines did exist at the time, were experimented with in the first century AD (see Hieron of Alexandria : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria ) and here I have them go somewhat further but I try not to go too far, yet I would think they could make something like the Pyroscaphe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroscaphe) and from there gain in technology. Metalurgy will probably be a limited factor for a time but there were, in this period, better metalurgists in Sri Lanka and China, which are now in communication range of the Empire

Chersonesus Taurica, Regnum Bosphorus, January 173

Hecatee

Donor
Chersonesus Taurica, Regnum Bosphorus, January 173

A man lay dying in his bed. Herodes Atticus, formerly the richest man of the Roman empire after the Emperor himself, had reached the end of his life. And what a life ! From honors to shame and exile, and then to fame and fortune again, if on a much lesser scale.

During the 13 years of his exile he had transformed the kingdom which has received him in more ways than all the legitimate kings who had ruled upon it in the previous centuries. Bringing new ideas from Rome, he had led to military reforms and to a new kind of security that had allowed for massive transformations in the way the inhabitants of the Regnum Bosphorus lived, exchanged, traded, died. The building of the isthmus wall, the creation of roads with inns at regular distances, similar to the roman postal system, the creation of a core permanent royal army that patrolled the hinterland and protected the wall, the prevention of northern raids, all had contributed to radically transform the region.

Herodes had known the remnants of his fortune would revert in large part to the king’s own treasury after he’d died. While he’d tried to have new heirs with the king’s sister, his wife had proven to be barren. Or maybe it was his seed that had dried after the exile. In any case the father of many had no new heir, and so he’d decided to invest in his new land. Many of the new statio alongside the roads were his, while the king had mainly paid for the roads that improved access to the interior of his kingdom.

Of course most of the trade between the cities still took place by sea, on a fleet also largely owned by Herodes, but the roads had allowed for new farms to be created and wheat production had almost doubled in a decade, increasing the kingdom’s revenues in ways that allowed for the maintenance of the wall and its garrison.

Sociologically too the kingdom had changed. The scythian lords had lost in influence as they could no longer easily call on reinforcements from beyond the wall to force their agenda on the royal army. They had no access to ships and had seen more and more land settled by farmers, losing their usual spaces to the sedentary communities. A number of lords had decided to leave the area completely, going through the walls making dire threats but being out of the kingdom nonetheless, others adapted and became more sedentary, establishing themselves as domain owners and horse sellers.

Overall the Regnum Bosphorus was now stronger than ever before, and had only to increase its richness and keep its vigilance against the North and against its ally and protector but potential destructor, the Empire.

I know Nero annexed the Kingdom at one point (but Galba set it free because he didn't want the Empire to have to deal with it's problems) but will a new Emperor decide to also do so? I mean it's one thing to let a collection of old greek colonies that get pushed around by nomads around to go and do their own thing but a well defended (to the north that is) and VERY productive in terms of grain, revenue, and manpower is a different story... After all there are no real downsides and a new conquest is always good reputation for a Young Emperor.

I mean they could justify it by going to the Bosporan king and demanding all the money Atticus made given he was an exile. Maybe even falsify some files to say that he didn't pay all that he was supposed to and that he took far more money than he said to the Bosporus Kingdom.

Though honestly they could just get the King to agree to annexation with some bribes and threats, I mean what chance do you have of winning against Rome?

Hecatee

Donor
I know Nero annexed the Kingdom at one point (but Galba set it free because he didn't want the Empire to have to deal with it's problems) but will a new Emperor decide to also do so? I mean it's one thing to let a collection of old greek colonies that get pushed around by nomads around to go and do their own thing but a well defended (to the north that is) and VERY productive in terms of grain, revenue, and manpower is a different story... After all there are no real downsides and a new conquest is always good reputation for a Young Emperor.

I mean they could justify it by going to the Bosporan king and demanding all the money Atticus made given he was an exile. Maybe even falsify some files to say that he didn't pay all that he was supposed to and that he took far more money than he said to the Bosporus Kingdom.

Though honestly they could just get the King to agree to annexation with some bribes and threats, I mean what chance do you have of winning against Rome?

I don't think Marcus Aurelius is in the mood to act like that, he prefers to have a magnet for barbarians away from his borders that he only has to help when there is a massive threat, which there never is (but may one day may come... can you spell Goths ? :p )

now because it's a beautiful day and because I've got enough texts to do so, I'll offer you a second update :)

Villa Aelia Hadriana, April 174

Hecatee

Donor
Villa Aelia Hadriana, April 174

It was the period of the year when army quartermasters came to the villa to look for new horseflesh, buying 3 years old horses to dress them for the army’s needs. The villa’s large herds of horses meant a lot was on offer, no less than 150 animals, enough to equip four turmae of cavalry, a full cohors quingenaria equitata’s complement…

Near the pen were the animals selected by the quartermasters were put stood the villa’s smith who was heating a small oven built next to the pen’s entrance. A table held a number of tools that excited the curiosity of one of the quartermaster.

“Oh those, well they are one of my invention. I made letters I can fit onto this tool to make a word or a sign, I heat those letters and brand the horse. Given I have a number of letters I don’t need to make a specific brand for each unit that comes here to buy its horses, I can compose the unit name and brand it as soon as a horse is selected. Of course I’ve had to create some letters inverted so that it would brand right, but that was not a big issue”

The man immediately proceeded to demonstrate the concept to the quartermasters, now all standing around him, intrigued. Taking the red hot iron out of the fire, he branded the wood of the table before taking the letters out of the frame, putting five other letters and branding the table again with the new design.

One of the quartermaster laughed “we’d need one for the rapports we have to do in triplicate ! We’d compose it once and then brand it as many time as needed !”

One of his colleagues shrugged : “yes, but you’d burn your papyrus and possibly even your vellum doing it ! You’d better put ink in the letters and press it on the papyrus if you wanted to do that !”

Discussion kept going for some time after that, but the main issue remained the same : one would need a lot of vellum to make a book. Still, it would be worth a try. A short book could be a good material for such a test printing…