Greek Plan enacted, impact on the rump Ottoman Empire

The Russian didn't allow them to stay, they have to petition to re-immigrate back to THEIR OWN LAND.
Thank you for calling my attention to this horrific crime. Sounds frighteningly similar to what my own ancestors did to the native peoples of the area I live in, and what's still being done to the Rohingya and many other groups today. This shatters what's left of the myth of Alexander II as a humane, caring leader.

There were no definitive plans as to the name. By default, it was going to be a Byzantine state. That was going to be its identity. I'm sure Catherine would like to give Constantine an Imperial title and call it the Byzantine Empire, but I similarly imagine that other interested powers would object to that. Something like "Byzantine Kingdom" would be a viable name. This is pure conjecture, though.

Perhaps @alexmilman (whose knowledge of Russian history and politics, certainly as far as the 'Early Modern Era' is concerned, may be termed encyclopedic) has more insight.
This is completely wrong, the greeks of the Period called themselves Rhomioi/Rhomans,so if such a state existed Rhomania(land of the Rhomans)would be the default option by the natives

The term Byzantine surfaced a century after the Empire had fallen

It could be called Hellas
Though at this point the Term Hellene and Rhoman are still synonymous

Skallagrim

Banned
This is completely wrong, the greeks of the Period called themselves Rhomioi/Rhomans,so if such a state existed Rhomania(land of the Rhomans)would be the default option by the natives

The term Byzantine surfaced a century after the Empire had fallen

It could be called Hellas
Though at this point the Term Hellene and Rhoman are still synonymous
You imagine, perhaps, that they would get much of a say. I very much doubt that. If the premise is that the Greek Plan goes through, what matters is what the Russians would want to call this state (and what other powers have to say about that). Note that the Russians -- and specifically Catherine -- explicitly used the term 'Byzantine' in this context. She specifically had a medallion made when Constantine was born, engraved with the phrase "Back to Byzantium".

Considering that the other power most likely to be involved -- and thus most likely to get a real say in the naming -- was Austria, this Neo-Byzantine state getting to call itself "Roman" (or some variation thereof) is not likely. The Habsburgs, after all, are still Holy Roman Emperors at this point. Just as they'd be wary of letting someone else have the title "Emperor", they wouldn't be happy to revive a competing claim to the Roman heritage. They'd insist that the official identity of the new state would be explicitly Byzantine/Greek.

In addition, "Hellene" and "Rhoman" were only still considered to be synonymous by Greeks of the time. Nobody else had taken that notion seriously for centuries. You may be correct to the extent that the native population would default to calling their country "Rhomania", but my point is: that wouldn't be (allowed to be) the official name, and it wouldn't be used internationally.

Last edited:
Thank you for calling my attention to this horrific crime. Sounds frighteningly similar to what my own ancestors did to the native peoples of the area I live in, and what's still being done to the Rohingya and many other groups today. This shatters what's left of the myth of Alexander II as a humane, caring leader.
Well, although this event is really horrific, this is one of the “tamer” genocides or ethnic cleansing in history.

Last edited:
Austria is given Bosnia and Serbia (not sure that the Serbs are going to be excited)
IIRC the Serbs of Serbia-proper had been pretty accepting of Habsburg rule during both instances of it during the 1700s. In fact it would have been within living memory that many left their homes to live under Habsburg rule.

bit Venice holds much of the coastline. How long would it take the Hapsburgs to figure out that having Dubrovnik is better than not having it and that Venice is too weak on land to resist effectively.
Venice is little more than the Austrian navy at this point. Given the opportunity and an excuse as iOTL they'll annex the Republic in a heart beat, but they won't go out of their way to rock the boat and potentially come out with egg on their face.

Is it worthy loooong border with strenghtened Russia which controls lower Danube?
For most of the 1700s, and even most of the 1800s for that matter, Austria and Russia were pretty chummy. Just as with the Serbs it's bet not to retroactively project the pre-WWI tensions onto late 1700s.

For most of the 1700s, and even most of the 1800s for that matter, Austria and Russia were pretty chummy. Just as with the Serbs it's bet not to retroactively project the pre-WWI tensions onto late 1700s.
Yet they were even in 2nd half of 18th century thinking about helping Ottomans against Russia, even possible war... Not saying that there wasn´t huuuge tradition fighting with Turkey, most time as an ally of Russia

One of the primary duties of the Caliph was to defend the Dar al-Islam. If the House of Osman have lost a huge chunk of that, including the Great City of Constantinople, their whole claim to the Caliphate starts to look shaky. Having a capital right on the periphery of the rump empire, not to mention vulnerable to further Russian attacks, seems like a mistake. Damascus is much more strategically located to re-cement control over Muslim lands and would also give them a link to the Islamic Golden Era as they play up their Muslim credentials.
What about Aleppo?