Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Blue Crabs

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Fire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NHL Expansion news
February 2, 1991: The NHL announces Tampa Bay will get an expansion team, and announce the cities finalists for the other team. They are

Columbus
Houston
Denver
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Miami
San Diego
New Orleans

The NHL will annnounce where the second team is located on May 13, 1991

Tampa Bay announces that they will unveil their logo, colors and uniforms on April 1, 1991

That got me thinking about the actual field of dreams. They should have an MiLB team play there. Low Single A or something

I think you’re onto something. The field is in the middle of nowhere, though, so drawing people to it for anything is going to be a challenge.

Feburary 3, 1991: The new look Denver MLB franchise will be named the Denver Zephyrs after the minor league team.

February 7, 1991: The NL awards its 14th franchise to Tampa; the team, along with the new NHL franchise, they will play in the Florida Suncoast Dome, since renamed GTE Financial Stadium.

February 12, 1991: Investigation of Penn State reveals that Joe Paterno actually had knowledge of Sandusky’s indiscretions and did nothing about it. It’s further revealed that staff members in other sports knew about the coverup and remained silent, with many people - including players in other sports - taking money and special benefits for staying silent. The report describes Penn State sports culture as “Mafia-like.”

NCAA Statement, big Penn State moment
February 14, 1991: The NCAA says that Penn State will be punished, however, they say if Joe Paterno and the AD are fired within 4 days the death penalty will not be pursued

February 15, 1991: Penn State fires Joe Paterno. Despite the situation, because of the tradition and success of the program it becomes a very sought after job. Miami DC Sonny Lubick, Michigan DC Lloyd Carr, Illinois DC Lou Tepper, and Colorado State Head Coach Earle Bruce are said to be potential favorites.

That may be true, but it would still sell well because of the novelty of it all

Of course it would, but if we’re looking for novelty, it would probably work best as a special baseball event site. Perhaps the AAA All-Star Game, a once-a-year series there for the Iowa Cubs (maybe even one game by the rebooted White Sox,) the Iowa high school championship…something cool like that, so it’s useful and novel but doesn’t require a huge commitment from fans.

Of course it would, but if we’re looking for novelty, it would probably work best as a special baseball event site. Perhaps the AAA All-Star Game, a once-a-year series there for the Iowa Cubs (maybe even one game by the rebooted White Sox,) the Iowa high school championship…something cool like that, so it’s useful and novel but doesn’t require a huge commitment from fans.
I like the idea of HS state titles, that would be a moment they would never forget

February 14, 1991: The NCAA says that Penn State will be punished, however, they say if Joe Paterno and the AD are fired within 4 days the death penalty will not be pursued

February 15, 1991: Penn State fires Joe Paterno. Despite the situation, because of the tradition and success of the program it becomes a very sought after job. Miami DC Sonny Lubick, Michigan DC Lloyd Carr, Illinois DC Lou Tepper, and Colorado State Head Coach Earle Bruce are said to be potential favorites.

Tepper is a Christian, and may not be interested (I know this because he coached the Division II team in my town, and my friend talked to him) because of moral concerns. Bruce and Carr should be the front-runners (and, if Carr gets the job, how does that affect someone by the name of Tom Brady?).

Tepper is a Christian, and may not be interested (I know this because he coached the Division II team in my town, and my friend talked to him) because of moral concerns. Bruce and Carr should be the front-runners (and, if Carr gets the job, how does that affect someone by the name of Tom Brady?).

Bruce is also at CSU, which is joining the Big 8 and therefore - especially after everything that happens here - will probably be an upgrade from PSU.

He could be the one to take the stench off the program.

I think that could mean he goes somewhere else if it happens, yes

NHL Megatrade
February 18, 1991: In one of the biggest trades of the past 20 years, the Hartford Whalers trade budding defenseman Ulf Samuelsson, 2 first round picks, and 2 third round picks, to the Quebec Nordiques for young star Joe Sakic. Many compare it to the NHL version of the Herschel Walker trade.

r9yhfq7jptyef7dqj8pvwlp7x.png
89087274f5bf0a41612c9c932fc1b6bc.jpeg

February 16, 1991

TWO CFLers JUMP TO WORLD LEAGUE (The Toronto Star)

Former USFL quarterback Doug Flutie signs with the Paris Phantoms as a free agent. Meanwhile, the Toronto Towers acquire quarterback Matt Dunigan.