Greater NATO support during Algerian war

WI NATO countries especially US supported France more during the Algerian war
What will it take for France to defeat the revolutionaries and keep it part of France ?

Genocide. So just a few more steps further than what they did historically.
Seriously, thats the only way European empires were keeping their territories post '45, even with the fact most had US support after Truman replaced the very anti-colonial FDR. As you can see, not really feasible.

@Monk78

I think there'd still be enough lingering anti-colonialism in the USA and lingering anti-froggism in the UK to make a NATO adventure on behalf of the French Empire an almost impossible sell. (The pied-noirs at the start of the conflict attacked a US cultural consulate, to give you some idea of how different a time-period that was.)

Though, if it did somehow go ahead, I'm guessing it might have made NATO more popular in France. And also made De Gaulle slighly less likely to piss off the anglosphere with stunts like Vive Le Quebec Libre.

Genocide. So just a few more steps further than what they did historically.
Seriously, thats the only way European empires were keeping their territories post '45, even with the fact most had US support after Truman replaced the very anti-colonial FDR. As you can see, not really feasible.

The whole " most had US support after FDR" is relatively inaccurate. I mean remember the Suez Crisis where the US openly seriously damaged relations with two of its closest and most important NATO allies to protect what was at best a unfriendly state.

marktaha

Banned
The French could have won had de Gaulle wanted to keep Algeria. My main gripe against him is the way he left- abandoning several hundred thousand loyal harkis to be massacred by the FLN and the pied noir to be driven out with one suitcase. He should have offered all the former refuge in France and insisted on all those leaving Algeria being able to take all their money and property with them.

The French could have won had de Gaulle wanted to keep Algeria. My main gripe against him is the way he left- abandoning several hundred thousand loyal harkis to be massacred by the FLN and the pied noir to be driven out with one suitcase. He should have offered all the former refuge in France and insisted on all those leaving Algeria being able to take all their money and property with them.
De Gaulle didn't want a large number of Algerians in France.

RousseauX

Donor
WI NATO countries especially US supported France more during the Algerian war
What will it take for France to defeat the revolutionaries and keep it part of France ?
I thought the French military basically won the war vs the FLN, but then political support for the war collapsed and the attempted putch killed off the probability of keeping Algeria forever

Unacceptable to France. Who viewed the whole thing as an internal matter.
And unacceptable for the rest of NATO, logistic and financial help can be done, there will be some protest but it's doable without too much problem but foot on the ground? Surely not to help the French keep their empire

Methinks this would require France making political concessions to the Arab and Berber majority.
That would almost certainly be a precondition for any NATO support.

And concessions to the natives (like giving them the franchise) would drive a lot of the pied noirs crazy, starting a third front in the war.

Deleted member 109224

That would almost certainly be a precondition for any NATO support.

And concessions to the natives (like giving them the franchise) would drive a lot of the pied noirs crazy, starting a third front in the war.
The French version of the southern 'massive resistance' would be like The Troubles. Oh my.