Great Big Worlda Collaborative Project

What should the premise be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it possible to claim bodies beyond Earth right now?
Sure! Ideally, I'd like to flesh out earth before moving on to extraplanetary bodies, but if you have a good idea for one, just describe it here to avoid contradictions and you can claim it.

Earth Basemap
Here is the Earth Basemap:
Earth Basemap.png

Sure! Ideally, I'd like to flesh out earth before moving on to extraplanetary bodies, but if you have a good idea for one, just describe it here to avoid contradictions and you can claim it.
Basically, Mars (or some other planet if you think it's better) is inhabited by aliens in a post-apocalyptic society with technology more advanced than Earth, but are much weaker politically due to their own thermonuclear war that happened millennia ago (they are only beginning to recover societies resembling 500s Europe and are generally disunited). These aliens thrive in the planet's native environment, (ex. photosynthesis depends on UV light, while local life is poisoned by liquid water and burn in the pressures/temperatures/oxygen that Earthlife thrives in). Earth didn't even know that they existed (due to the lack of communication) until they started to colonize the world, which results in violent resistance, especially as the Earthers attempt to terraform the planet by establishing a magnetic field and warming up the planet in preparation for water, an action which would kill the local ecosystem.
Basically, just because the cultures of Earth are equal, won't mean that imperialism isn't a thing - just that someone else's on the short end of the stick.

Basically, Mars (or some other planet if you think it's better) is inhabited by aliens in a post-apocalyptic society with technology more advanced than Earth, but are much weaker politically due to their own thermonuclear war that happened millennia ago (they are only beginning to recover societies resembling 500s Europe and are generally disunited). These aliens thrive in the planet's native environment, (ex. photosynthesis depends on UV light, while local life is poisoned by liquid water and burn in the pressures/temperatures/oxygen that Earthlife thrives in). Earth didn't even know that they existed (due to the lack of communication) until they started to colonize the world, which results in violent resistance, especially as the Earthers attempt to terraform the planet by establishing a magnetic field and warming up the planet in preparation for water, an action which would kill the local ecosystem.
Basically, just because the cultures of Earth are equal, won't mean that imperialism isn't a thing - just that someone else's on the short end of the stick.

Go for it! I think you may have to hold off on the Earth's cultures until people start completing their bits, but you can start with the aliens.

CannedTech

Banned
I’m having a spike of difficulty in IRL work, so I’ll hopefully have the draft of Australasia up by friday.

Possibly, all I know for sure rn is regional unions and a Tongawank for the region so far, you have a thing in mind?

I was thinking about it being a possible early contact point between the Tahuantinsuyo and the Polynesian Peoples since there is evidence of them having at least some small trade between them IOTL. Maybe the Polynesians could serve as the intermediaries between cultures that had some contact with the coast of the Pacific. For me, it seems like the Polynesians in this context would be greatly responsible for the interconnection of the world before OTL and the dissemination of sailing techniques.

Some ideas that appeared in my head that maybe you could use:

• Aquaculture between different atolls. Like trapping a large mass of water between nets that extend from island to island.
  • Submarine or floating cities that could consist of diverse independent modules which can act and move independently.
  • Dubai-style extensions of land. I know that carving rocks to assemble them like Legos of dozens of tones each was an speciality of the people's of the Andes and maybe they could make something like a sea wall and sell it to the Polynesians in pieces that can be moved through barges like the Egyptians did with their obelisks. Then maybe they could fill the segment of water inside with sand or volcanic materials.

Also, I know you are an aspiring artist and I like pixel art, so maybe we could do a collab if you want to? Just a suggestion.

EDIT: I think I confused you with someone else who was in an art academy... Or not? I'm not sure. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Both of us enjoy doing pixel-art!

Great! Do you want to exchange some ideas through DMs or here?

Also, for anyone interested, I've saved several maps of planets from Collab. Worldbuilding Projects over time and made some myself. If there are no objections in using them, I can bring them forward.

Great! Do you want to exchange some ideas through DMs or here?

Also, for anyone interested, I've saved several maps of planets from Collab. Worldbuilding Projects over time and made some myself. If there are no objections in using them, I can bring them forward.

Please do! I have a collection of maps I’ve scavenged from planet building and fantasy threads that I’m recoloring for this. The more the better!

Before I proceed forward, I need to know people's general plans on their geographic regions because, while I tried, I can't write an interesting story without knowing a little bit about the rest of the world.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Ok, I have a few plans for East Asia.
-China throws off the dynastical yoke and leading to a republic roughly in the 1800s from imported European ideas. The rebellion happens during the middle of the Qing Dynasty. This means that Tibet and Xinjiang has also achieved independence though, and by now both minorities have fostered too big of a national identity to have the Chinese integrate them back in their state.
-Korea shakes the tributary status away and grows to encompass all of Korea and a bit of Manchuria as well.
-Japan's Sakoku policy turns out to be a decent success, leading to a Meiji and things playing out relatively well OTL (save for the empire part)
-Dai Viet doesn't decay, instead lasting much longer until the Chinese assist a rebellion in the early 1900s, ending the cycle. A new republic is declared, and it goes through a golden age where modern day Laos and Cambodia are part of its influence.
-Mongolia, seizing the iron while it is hot, takes Inner Mongolia while China was going through its rebellion. Tuva also becomes bigger than OTL, but a regional power at best.
-An independent Taiwan, haven't thought that one through though

Starforce

Banned
I am not entirely sure on the borders of my Eurasian EU thing, so if someone could create something or find something to give me pointers that'd be great.

I am not entirely sure on the borders of my Eurasian EU thing, so if someone could create something or find something to give me pointers that'd be great.
Ethnic maps are always useful
bqr3uvwv05h21.png

You can use that as a guide for state boundaries. I'd suggest having your eastern european Slavic EU as a distinct state, and a Siberian EU as a seperate organization comprised of ethnic Siberian peoples:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_Siberia

All the states have roughly the same level of technology and power.

Disregard modern borders entirely and go off of geography and the ethnic map above
Here's a map of Siberian indigenous peoples:
kart_index03.jpg

Norteamarica.png

WIP of North America.
I was thinking that the Haudenausaunee Confederation eventually expands into a multinational Federation, which itself is the lead member of a economic and political alliance, which includes:
-a Absalooke led Federation of Agrarian Plains states
-A recently-democratized Cherokee Republic
-Lenape, Mohegan, Seminole, Abenaki, Mikmaq, and Algonquian states.
this Federation may unify sometime in the near future, and they share resources for their space colonization programs.

the Southwestern nations are united under a hegemonic Technocratic alliance, led by the Dine. They are the main rivals of the American federation (name TBD) in Space, and the competition between the two led to a rapid advance in Spaceflight technology for both sides.
the rest of the continent includes:
-A Pacific Northwest Empire, which was united by a Maori dynasty, and has a large Chinese minority
-Athabasca
-a Neutral, isolationist Inuit nation
-Markland

I'm open to criticism, and any suggestions you might have!

View attachment 503488
WIP of North America.
I was thinking that the Haudenausaunee Confederation eventually expands into a multinational Federation, which itself is the lead member of a economic and political alliance, which includes:
-a Absalooke led Federation of Agrarian Plains states
-A recently-democratized Cherokee Republic
-Lenape, Mohegan, Seminole, Abenaki, Mikmaq, and Algonquian states.
this Federation may unify sometime in the near future, and they share resources for their space colonization programs.

the Southwestern nations are united under a hegemonic Technocratic alliance, led by the Dine. They are the main rivals of the American federation (name TBD) in Space, and the competition between the two led to a rapid advance in Spaceflight technology for both sides.
the rest of the continent includes:
-A Pacific Northwest Empire, which was united by a Maori dynasty, and has a large Chinese minority
-Athabasca
-a Neutral, isolationist Inuit nation
-Markland

I'm open to criticism, and any suggestions you might have!

Brilliant, I don't really have specific pointers, but this is pretty much what I was imagining! You really nailed the premise down and the color schemes look really appealing. Since you've got the initial steps and no one has claimed central America yet, you can take it if you'd like.