Great Big Worlda Collaborative Project

What should the premise be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Premise
So I've recently come across several worlds/pixel maps that have a lot of different elements. I think there isn't a specific classification for them but here are the examples:

These two are from Mr. Imperator Roma over on deviant art.

dd3zrgf-d73b39fe-b8d9-4ec6-888b-e6c77b96d758.png

ddefvij-fcccf37f-8950-42bc-8f1b-a456dc2a4d2e.png

And this one is from @rvbomally
dcp4zal-0196143f-9fe6-430f-8318-f5058ae99acd.png

I really like these sorts of map compilations and I think they add an immense level of structure and clarity to oneshot scenarios, especially those set in the future. I don't know how many people would be interested in this, but I'd like to make a pixel/worlda map collection that is as large as possible. Multiple worlds, asteroids, moons, planets, terraforming, sea rise, micro worldas for religion, culture, alliance systems etc.

The first step would be to compile all the requisite basemaps, from the micro-worlda to the planetary body maps. From there, we can move to brainstorming a good setting and splitting up components for people to work on. More than likely it will be asb considering the future setting but it should still be entertaining.

I'd like to gauge how many people are interested in this project, so reply below and we can sort out some communication stuff.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
So I've recently come across several worlds/pixel maps that have a lot of different elements. I think there isn't a specific classification for them but here are the examples:

These two are from Mr. Imperator Roma over on deviant art.

dd3zrgf-d73b39fe-b8d9-4ec6-888b-e6c77b96d758.png

ddefvij-fcccf37f-8950-42bc-8f1b-a456dc2a4d2e.png

And this one is from @rvbomally
dcp4zal-0196143f-9fe6-430f-8318-f5058ae99acd.png

I really like these sorts of map compilations and I think they add an immense level of structure and clarity to oneshot scenarios, especially those set in the future. I don't know how many people would be interested in this, but I'd like to make a pixel/worlda map collection that is as large as possible. Multiple worlds, asteroids, moons, planets, terraforming, sea rise, micro worldas for religion, culture, alliance systems etc.

The first step would be to compile all the requisite basemaps, from the micro-worlda to the planetary body maps. From there, we can move to brainstorming a good setting and splitting up components for people to work on. More than likely it will be asb considering the future setting but it should still be entertaining.

I'd like to gauge how many people are interested in this project, so reply below and we can sort out some communication stuff.

I'm good with pixelart.

I'm good with pixelart.
Brilliant! I’ll compile a list of worlda basemaps we can use. Microworlda and basic worlda will Be the main ones but the terraformed Mars, Venus and other moons should be present as well. If you have any already, feel free to drop them here.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Brilliant! I’ll compile a list of worlda basemaps we can use. Microworlda and basic worlda will Be the main ones but the terraformed Mars, Venus and other moons should be present as well. If you have any already, feel free to drop them here.

The thing is, have you settled on a theme or a premise? We can make themed worldas.

Technology Equalization
So we do need a theme and considering the necessities for using a solar system base-map, Sci-Fi seems to be the name of the game.

Here's just a mass of thoughts. Not sure if any of it is good, and please post any suggestions, improvements, or other ideas entirely!

How about we do an equal technology world? Let's say technological growth occurred at the same pace everywhere, so you have a smattering of one or two great powers across the world. Maybe several native american leagues, Aztec, Inca, aboriginal, Maori states, Chinese, Indian and middle eastern powers are able to hold their own and grow into great powers at the same rate as, the traditional European Powers.

Maybe by this point, the world is largely peaceful and controlled by multinational organizations coming together in a world congress. This leads to high standards of living across most of the world and very little impetus to actually leave the planet. Climate change is controlled, resources are managed properly and the high cost of space development would be an extreme investment for most governments.

But smaller, private groups would still be interested in making homes for themselves that are not managed by what they see as a complacent and ineffective global government. This causes an outward boom, with the moon, venus, mars, and several planetoids terraformed and colonized by private groups (lot of room to add backstory and a whole bunch of factions). This is especially concerning to the world congress and the nations of Earth who fast track their own space programs and snatch up luna.

Despite their infrastructure and superior technology, further expansion is blocked by the already established space powers, and this leads to infighting amongst the multinational organizations within the world congress. "Border" Disputes also occure beteween world congress forces and the hastily allied powers of the outer and inner system.Tensions are on the rise as humanity enters a new age in their development, made all the more surprising by the discovery of wormholes to strange planets...

Part of this is to provide a compelling narrative and part of it is to fit as many maps as possible into this project. The wormhole to other worlds is definitlely a vector to add in worlds that wouldn't fit in otherwise, for example:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...nk-basemaps-thread.150007/page-6#post-7145815

or the strangerreal map

https://images.app.goo.gl/TqMVAJDfK27qGrSNA

We should have a good set of concrete notes and a basic storyline before we split up those maps for people to work on.

We also need to acquire permission if possible and make a credit page for the base-maps we take.

I'll start work on converting some of those maps to terra-formed formats and make some sort of template.

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-14_13-5-15.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-14_13-5-15.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,053
Post Apocalypse

CannedTech

Banned
@Bicentius I'm definitely down for the equalized technology development route - however I have a counter-offer to the peaceful colonization/civilization route which is Earth being the site of an apocalyptic global war, with human civilization being focused on Earth, Mars, orbital bases, Venus, Titan, etc., and Earth being a wartorn backwater - this mainly being inspired by the backstory of a Russian collaborative game that featured a variety of pretty interesting post-realignment states.

@Bicentius I'm definitely down for the equalized technology development route - however I have a counter-offer to the peaceful colonization/civilization route which is Earth being the site of an apocalyptic global war, with human civilization being focused on Earth, Mars, orbital bases, Venus, Titan, etc., and Earth being a wartorn backwater - this mainly being inspired by the backstory of a Russian collaborative game that featured a variety of pretty interesting post-realignment states.
I like it! I'll wait for a couple more suggestions and set up a poll.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
I always love myself a native-wank; but how about we mix the two and have space-roaming Mesoamerican and Andeans, along with the Europeans and others? We could have the similar technology route, definitely.

I always love myself a native-wank; but how about we mix the two and have space-roaming Mesoamerican and Andeans, along with the Europeans and others? We could have the similar technology route, definitely.

That's actually what I intended. The actual governments of Mesoamericans and Andeans in the world congress would be as complacent as the rest of the earth nations, but organizations made up of them would get to the stars first along with private organizations around the world. Then the rest of the earth would follow.

Basically, everybody goes to SPACE.

Last edited:
has been pinged

Most interesting, this project...

Well, why not both? A before and after scenario, for instance?
And don't say "well, I technically did that already"!

Okay, this is just and aesthetic preference, and a pet peeve of mine, but here's the Solar system worlda that I posted before with higher quality astronomical symbology. Warning: I didn't make this graphic, only the higher quality symbols are my contribution.

I also advice correcting Haumea, since it isn't as close to a sphere as it is depicted in here, however, I have no idea how to do so.

Solar System worlda with better Symbology.png

Native Wank
I like the idea of a native wank. Somehow most of Eurasian civilization is weakened and the centers of power are the Americas, Subsaharan Africa, Australia, and Siberia. Places like China, India, the Arab World, and continental Europe are screwed.

I'll start work on converting some of those maps to terra-formed formats and make some sort of template.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/alternate-planets-suns-stars-and-solar-systems-thread.307097/page-18

On that page of that thread there's a terraformed version of basically everything.

I've recolored them from the big map list and added in rvbomally's longitude and latitude lines by copying them.

Can you do one with the lines going over land too?