Graphic Thread

ddp3c8j-9d986321-fe13-4847-8c8d-b5aac610f6da.png

1580502345576.png

1580502353143.png

Emblems of the Society of the White Camellia, also known simply as the Society from my story Butcher Hollow.

The Society of the White Camellia was a cult which played an important, though brief, part in the history of the town of Butcher Hollow, Maryland. Founded by a man named Samuel Pryor, many of the town's residents quickly became adherents to it's doctrine, letting Society beliefs infiltrate nearly all levels of Butcher Hollow life.

Unlike other religious institutions, like Pastor Mark Reeves' Dunkard Church, the Society had no real concrete theology. Instead, it's doctrines were the dictats of it's leader and prophet, Samuel Pryor. Although Pryor constantly altered the Society's religious sermons as he attempted to manipulate the town's residents and climb to power, there were a few elements that remained consistent throughout his rise. Pryor claimed that he had received a vision from "god" to go to Butcher Hollow and "save" the town from "destruction." Pryor likewise stressed the need for Society adherents to live by "god's virtues" in order to obtain (and later maintain) their salvation. Although these virtues changed person to person, two components remained consistent; unceasing obedience and sacrifice. Pryor claimed that he had sacrificed everything while obeying god's message to come to Butcher Hollow, and he demanded that the members of the Society likewise obey and sacrifice not just for god, but for god's prophet as well. Over time, Pryor's role in the Society began to slowly change. The distinction between god and god's prophet became increasingly blurred, and Pryor's rhetoric became increasingly over the top and apocalyptic. His, and thus the Society's, views on what constituted the vague "destruction" or "evil" became markedly radicalized as he poised himself to assume total control over Butcher Hollow and squash out the last remnants of resistance to his tyranny.

Although the Society incorporated many Christian symbols into it's iconography, and Biblical verses in it's sermons, Pryor's doctrine ultimately rejected many of Christianity's core tenants. The Society focused heavily on achieving salvation and deliverance from the town's earthly problems during a human's life on earth, and Pryor never mentioned the existence of a heaven, hell, or after life. The Society preached the need for total obedience to god and Pryor, and did not believe that believers were automatically saved just by holding faith in god or Pryor. When questioned by Pastor Reeves, Pryor seemed to not know the meaning or purpose of common Christian practices, like baptism. Pryor also openly mocked Jack Bolton's and Reeves' faith, questioning why their God could not deliver riches for His followers on earth while he (Pryor) could.

Pryor demonstrated a seemingly remarkable ability to fix people's problems, though this was arguably because of his close connections with figures like local mogul Patrick Fenton and town mayor Greg Dahlgren. Pryor himself presumably came from some wealth, given his background as an employee in a federal law enforcement agency (where he claimed to monitor and deal with suspicious cult-like leaders), and he had a notable charisma which he used to manipulate and exploit town residents into joining his Society. As such he quickly gained influence over many people in Butcher Hollow, and thus an indirect influence over many of the town's important functions, such as the school, the police office, the civic building, and the grocery store. As his rhetoric radicalized his followers remained steadfast in their obedience to him, ostracizing those in Butcher Hollow who were not known members of the Society. Many homes and business (including the grocery store and civic center) hung Society emblems or portraits of Pryor up, and people began wearing similar looking clothing to identify themselves as "Redeemed," or being a follower of Pryor. Those who did not wear this "uniform" (bought from stores owned by Pryor's confidant, Fenton) were severely discriminated against, as in the case of a girl named Hannah, who was attacked by her peers during school, and a woman shopping at the grocery store, who was run out of the store while being beaten and chastised by Society devotees.

Although many of the Society's early symbols were largely based off of existing religious emblems, it began to develop sigils of it's own. Particularly radicalized members abandoned the Gregorian calendar in favor of a new one based around the date of Pryor's appearance in town, which was deemed as the first day of the first year. Six was a prominent number, as Saturday, the day the Society held it's religious sessions, was the sixth day of the week on the new calendar.

The White Camellia was the name given to the cult by Pryor. He claimed that the name was symbolic; the camellia flower, which bloomed in the dark winter, was representative of the town's own "blooming" as it adhered unceasingly to god's (and Pryor's) virtues, and white was meant to convey the image of purity within man if he obeyed and sacrificed for god and Pryor. The Society's emblem is heavily derived from the Luther rose, albeit the Christian cross and heart are removed and replaced by a different cross and sunrise. A later sigil, adopted in roughly the same span of time as the new calendar, more closely imitates the camellia shape. It contains multiple symbols; at the center the rune for Tyr and sacrifice, one of the central virtues of god; around it the numbers 1, 6, and 1, representing important dates in the Society calendar, and several other runes, all reversed.

The Society did not have a proper "Bible" or any other holy book. Instead it derived it's doctrines from Pryor's sermons and dictats, although several Bibles from the Dunkard church were found with the Gospel and most other New Testament books torn out, and Society emblems carved on them. Given Pryor's incorporation of apocalyptic, millennialism-esque rhetoric and references to Biblical events (especially in Revelation), and the similarity between god's "virtues" and Mosaic Law, it is possible that these represented some form of Society scripture, possibly similar to the Islamic Hadith.

[The true meaning, as far as I'm aware, of the reversed runes are, clockwise from top to bottom; conflict, obligation (greed), and false hope. Indeed everything but the sacrifice rune are reversed on the sigil (including the numbers, which spell out "161" while read left to right) ] .

This big old toaster was designed in the mid-22nd century to build system defence grids, a process which is obviously resource intensive and laborious. With that in mind the ship didn't have a large crew, especially compared to other industrial ships of a similar size. The Talos had two autonomous asteroid rigs which can be used to bring resources directly to the ship while it's working, or which can be used to alter the position of an asteroid beneficially for defensive purposes. When first built each of these ships also had 28 short range construction drones. Between that and the ship's own construction bays (not visible here but will be on the other version of the infographic) the Talos was capable of building just about any important piece of defensive infrastructure used in the 22nd century. Nor was it solely capable of building military structures- these were just as capable of building communications relays, navigation buoys, and automated mining operations.
ddpkc64-62087e18-9381-4924-abbe-466e49acb939.png

United Nations Standard Destroyer.png

My second try/draft to make a modern style naval ship (I tried to make several spaceships too but that's another matter). There is a Helipad, several AA Mini-guns, a Coil-gun main turret, VLS cells and about 7 missile turrets each carrying a dozen missiles. TBH I don't really understand design of modern warships so see this as a first draft. BTW in my mind the power for this ship is provided by a nuclear reactor. As I have already mentioned the Coil-gun its supposed to be near-ish future. I was also thinking that the reactor was fusion based instead of fission. And yes the ship is supposed to be operated by the UN. My "art" is not very advanced. I mostly based this design on several real life modern DDGs. I looked at Shipbucket drawings of HMS Daring, USS Burke, USS Kidd, BMS (Bundesmarine) Lütjens, PLAN Nanchang and MNS (French Marine Nationale) Duquesne while drawing it but still not very confident about it tbqh.

Edit: looking at it again the gun looks too big and/or the turret looks too small.

Last edited:

Philip

Donor
There is a Helipad, several AA Mini-guns, a Coil-gun main turret, VLS cells and about 7 missile turrets each carrying a dozen missiles.

Does this ship have a defined mission? It is not clear from the description (How many VLS cells? What do they hold?) , but my impression is it is too focused on point defense

I mostly based this design on several real life modern DDGs

Spend a little more time looking at the area below the waterline.

looking at it again the gun looks too big and/or the turret looks too small.
Agreed.

Does this ship have a defined mission? It is not clear from the description (How many VLS cells? What do they hold?) , but my impression is it is too focused on point defense

Spend a little more time looking at the area below the waterline.

Agreed.

Firstly thank you for your comments and criticism.

Secondly I didn't think a lot over the VLS before but thinking over it I think around 100 cells. Mostly anti-ship and anti-ship/air missiles and "quad-packed" anti-air missiles. (Since I am thinking near-ish future and not contemporary I will refrain from giving actual missile names). The turreted missile launchers would have anti-submarine and anti-air missiles.

Thirdly here is what I tried to do to meet those criticisms.
United Nations Standard Destroyer.png

Changes below waterline are almost entirely copied from Shipbucket image of the Daring by MihoshiK and Crazyhorse. Otherwise slightly enlarged the gun turret and made the gun smaller and removed some CIWS/Miniguns and missile launch tubes while adding VLS cells.

Last edited:
Some Propaganda Posters for TL-191

Glad to see you removed the swastika from the german soldier's helmet. Its the sort of details that people doing this type of photoshop work often forget to do.

If I can offer a small suggestion though: So his helmet decal doesn't have all that black space near the bottom, you might want to add a bit of white tailfeathers where the swastika used to be.

This is an alternate Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2020, based on VW engines (the OTL equivalent of Seat Leon), because in my TL, Alfa is buy by VW :

1580824331-voiture.png