Graphic Thread

dqzwiDu.png

Um...I'm not sure if I want to know what went on in TTL...

Here's the front page for MEZE, which is the English Edition of the Die Mitteleuropäische Zeitung. One of the largest newspapers in Austria-Hungary

2q1ghsh.jpg

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
Not alternate history, but interesting nevertheless.

dcwf1ea-afc4bf47-6ab3-4b6d-990f-d5c34f6feea3.png

So I tried to remake the original coat of arms of the University of Tasmania based on the 1936 design by one Egbert Holder Harry, an alumnus native to Launceston, with some very minor changes (namely the queer angle of the torch). He included a description of the four quartered elements, as well as the crown, as follows:
- A lion passant Gules in a field Argent (the Tasmanian Badge).
- An open book Or in a field Azure (representing the academic side of University activity).
- The Southern Cross Or in a field Azure (representative of Australia).
- A Torch Gules in a field Argent (representing the athletic side of University activity).
- [Crest] A castle rising from a crown (Or), signifying the royal charter held by the University.
The design won out of a field of 47 designs, for a prize of five guineas. However, upon asking the cost of registering the arms for official use the Australian High Commission told them it would cost £150. This substantial cost saw the university eschew Harry's design, instead commissioning a set of arms from a Mr E Kruger Gray without actually registering the design. This, of course, was illegal.

Gray's design is substantively different from that of Harry's, and is the one used by the university in modern times: he gave more prominence to the lion, having them hold the torch, and placed a book on either side of the Southern Cross, all this sitting above the lion. Gray's design also holds the distinction of being the only CoA in Australia that has closed books, whereas they are open in other designs. The torch is also unique among Australian universities, though other institutions have them from time to time.

I think there's a certain charm to Harry's design. His design was rejected but then immediately pilfered by the university, which strikes me as rather unjust. Because they didn't want to register his design they simply stole its elements and recreated it. Harry would've probably had a substantive basis to sue and may have had the means to as he held two bachelors in art and commerce, but I suspect that as the university never officially registered it's coat of arms in the period (though they most certainly have in modern times, particularly with Australia's legal independence from the UK) there wasn't a technical infringement and so no basis to sue. Or perhaps Harry got his five guineas and so was simply disinterested in how the university might warp his vision. In any event, I quite like it.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Why and where? There is no relevant thread for it to go in.
Well, since it is political it has no business anywhere EXCEPT Chat.

As far what thread, since it appears to involve U.S. politics the current U.S. politics megathread seems like a good home.

As far what thread, since it appears to involve U.S. politics the current U.S. politics megathread seems like a good home.
To be fair to Gorrister, the tweet in question is from an ATL tweet from someone who died 26 years before twitter was invented in OTL. I don't think that the US politics megathread would be the best place for it.
um

John Lennon is dead OTL. This is from a world where he's not, and becomes a Morrissey-style controversial figure. It ties in with my vignette about the same thing.

It's made up , so I don't really know what it would contribute there...