Grant at Gettysburg

I cannot leave my army for a single day-Robert E. Lee

Lee's invasion of the North was his strategic choice to try to divert the growing Union position in the West, especially around Vicksburg. If he had not launched this offensive then his only option was to either send a large portion of the ANV west or even lead a contingent himself.

If the situation in the West is much worse for the CSA then the invasion no longer has a strategic purpose and risking the CSA's major remaining field army is not wise, which Lee would certainly realize.[/I]

Grimm Reaper

Your military logic regarding the invasion of the North is unassailable on its face. But there is a certain similarity to the circumstances ITTL to OTL. Rather than a siege of Vicksburg, he faces the prospect of an invasion (eventually) of Georgia. How does he deal with it? Remember two overriding factors about Robert E. Lee and his war service.
First, except for a brief tour of the Confederate defenses of the Carolinas and Georgia, Lee spent his entire Confederate service defending Virginia or launching offensive operations into Maryland and Pennsylvania. Davis all but begged Lee to go West, but every time Lee would demur and turn the subject around to either an attack on the AotP (i.e. Go North) or just merely sending Longstreet. He was always able to impress Davis with the need for Lee himself to stay with the AoNV, as even matters such as keeping the army fed was a crisis requiring his constant attention. Davis himself saw Lee as a Confederate Washington without whom the AoNV could disintegrate in the event of a Union attack without Lee in command. Hence, despite the vital strategic NEED, the political situation INSIDE the AoNV simply dictated that Lee couldn't leave, especially with a sizable portion of the AoNV going with him.

Lee also understood what Davis would never accept, that Joseph E. Johnston, the current commander in the West, was actually MORE beloved by his troops than Lee was by his!:p "I will always love that man like a father. He always made sure his men were fed."-Private Sam Watkins, 1st Tennessee Volunteers, speaking of General Joe Johnston. In fact, Johnston's troops did eat somewhat better than Lee's. Lee was just a little too concerned about the legalities of food requisition (confiscation) to get his army better fed. And of course General Northrup, the Confederate Commissary General, being one of the most incompetent officers in the Civil War, North or South, didn't help either.

In addition, Lee's army at this point has just won its' greatest victory (Chancellorsville) against the long suffering AotP. AT THE TIME OF LEE'S DECISION TO INVADE THE NORTH AGAIN, THE INCOMPETENT HOOKER IS STILL IN COMMAND. Assuming that this doesn't change, it puts Lee in an excellent position to maintain the initiative throughout any operations in the North. His goal, after all, is to destroy the AotP NORTH of Washington, leaving him in a position to dominate Maryland and (hopefully) detach Union forces from the West to fight in the East.

Grimm Reaper,

There are some nasty surprises I have in store to explain about the West, just as I do about other Union forces not engaged in Gettysburg. But right now I am telling the story of GRANT AT GETTYSBURG. The other theaters ITTL are not in anyway in a dire situation that will be resolved in the scope of Gettysburg (e.g., Mobile and Atlanta are not about to fall, as Vicksburg and Port Hudson did IOTL). After all, I'm writing hour to hour for now. Certainly that will change later on. I hope...

PS Lee wasn't General-In-Chief yet, so he couldn't go west without firing Johnston, yet ANOTHER reason why he wouldn't go. When he finally WAS made General-In-Chief, in 1865(!), his first orders were for Johnston's return to duty and command of all Confederate forces between Lee and Sherman.

Last edited:
Meade will like this, for more reasons than one, or two...

6AM The Second Day

As Colonel Rawlins finished wrapping up his "little packages", he smiled. "I have to say General Grant, I'm very grateful for this. I've never been given such a responsibility in BATTLE before." "Just don't let it go to your head, Colonel. Remember, you are the bearer of good news and bad. Do not make the mistake of enjoying it too much." Grant said. Rawlins nodded, saying: "Sir, I hope this doesn't mean my post as your Chief-of-Staff-" Seeing the startled expression on Grant's face, he finished-"Sorry Sir." Grant spoke: "Don't worry, you're not going anywhere, just accept that today I need someone whose position simply cannot be denied, especially with the backing of the officers I'm sending with you. Just remember that your role, and that of the men with you will be that of supernumeraries for the time being. In all seriousness, the roles here for your little trio is rest, and observation. You do nothing, unless matters go outside the margins I've laid out. CLEAR?" "Very good, Sir. I'm on my way..."

After Rawlins was dismissed, Grant gave another look over the battlefield. Evey instinct he had told him Meade was right. Right about the terrain (the right flank and rear were pretty much unassailable) and that the avenues of assault were the center and left flank. Meade's most dire warnings were what inspired Grant to send Rawlins off on his little "mission". If nothing else, Meade will be pleased by THIS, Grant thought. His questioning of Meade's initial lack of deployments on the far left flank put some hostility between them. Perhaps Rawlins, irascible as he was, might just be able to cool things off.:)

Last edited:
Yes, I know the last post was HIGHLY cryptic, but I didn't want things later to look like I just pulled them out of my ***.

Oops!

I made mention two days ago about the Knoxville campaign as being in Western Tennessee. This region is already under Union control. I MEANT to say Knoxville, in Eastern Tennessee.:eek: Sorry...

There are things that must be done

7AM The Second Day

"General Meade said you wished to see me sir?" Grant turned, and said: "Colonel Hunt, good to see you. General Meade speaks the world of you, you know." As he was speaking, Grant noticed that the flushed expression on Hunt's face was quickly fading. Now Grant felt like steam was coming out of his own ears. Good God, does everybody think I want to fire them? As Grant's words took effect, Hunt almost seemed to crack a small smile. "I take it you have no objection to redeploying McGilvery and Taft (1st and 2nd Volunteer Artillery brigades of the Artillery Reserve) to what I've been told by the locals is called Little Round Top?" said Grant.

"Not at all, sir! Especially when one of McGilvery's men returned to tell me how vulnerable that flank was and how open the field of vision is from there. We can see everything. There will be no tactical surprises HERE, General Grant. General Warren (Signal Corps) says that rocky hill dominates the entire right flank and center of the enemy army. Truly, it is a natural fortress."

Hunt went on to explain some ideas of how the artillery could be used in the coming battle. As Grant's eyes grew wider listening to the gems pouring out of Hunt's mouth, he thought to himself: "This is an EASTERN General? No. Wait a moment!" He rechecked Hunt's epaulets. "Right! While listening to the man, I forgot he wasn't a General. Yet. He was still a Colonel! For now. Well, there's ANOTHER officer to watch, VERY HARD. Thank God Almighty I was determined to promote from within."

He smiled slightly, to himself and Hunt. "Sounds right to me, Colonel. So you are satisfied that we've reinforced that flank sufficiently?". "General, when you throw in V Corps' Artillery Brigade they are just about topped off. I don't see adding any MORE guns will make much of a difference, and we need a sizable artillery reserve still. We have given about one third of our reserves to that hill, and for the reasons *(secret:p)* we've discussed, a big reserve is still needed." Hunt said gravely.

"And we all agree about the right flank? I want to know the opinion of an artillery ge- officer." Grant said/slipped. "Damn!" he thought. "I hope he didn't hear-" Grant groaned inwardly. Judging by the ramrod-erect posture Hunt had just taken, Hunt HAD heard. Oh well. Grant supposed Hunt could be patient. There was a battle to be fought, after all. In a much more rigid voice, Hunt reported that a thirty foot trench opened up in front of Culps Hill, preventing any advancement of enemy artillery. "Not to mention the trees and undergrowth are so heavy that basically the Rebels have neither artillery nor cavalry support. They are forced to climb up a very steep hill, almost sheer cliffs at some points, only to come face-to-face with XII Corps and THEIR Artillery Brigade. There ARE no natural barriers to bringing OUR artillery right up to the firing line, and without fear of capture. When the Reb troops of Johnson's and Early's Divisions {Ewell's Corps-Author's Note} see they are not even in a position to field their own guns, how long can they stand up to us, Sir?" "Not long" Grant sardonically replied.

He dismissed Hunt and went for his newest cigar. He also reached in for-Damn Rawlins. Wasn't there. Never was when there was work to be done. And if he pushed things, he could always expect a visit from Julia. Dear Julia. Until the war, the only thing in his life that made life bearable was his dearest, ever loyal, loving wife.

So, dry as ever, he rolled over his options again. Culps Hill, with XII Corps, was safe. The cavalry were rapidly coming in after chasing Stuart all across central Maryland and south-central Pennsylvania. Meade was deploying them as a reserve in the rear. Our only reserve, but the terrain here doesn't really allow Lee to play any games of maneuver. So Johnson's and Early's Divisions are out of it except as a diversion.

Cemetery Hill, due west and adjacent to Culps Hill, was another matter. Ewell's last division, Rodes', is stuck holding Gettysburg town itself. They are maintaining a murderous hail of sniper fire but there's little we can do about it, short of using what's left of XI and I Corps' Artillery Brigades to make the Rebels pay for their bushwacking ways. At least no real attack can be launched by Rodes. If he tried, the artillery could fire solid shot, shell, caseshot, and even canister down the streets of Gettysburg, smashing any attempt by Rodes to form up. No wonder no one fights in cities in this war.

He understood that A.P. Hill's Corps was the only Rebel Corps that was actually smashed up, if any Rebel Corps was. Heth's Division was mangled by I Corps' counterattack, with Archer's Brigade completely overrun and Archer himself captured! Apparently Pender's Division was bled badly, but not nearly so much. One of Anderson's brigades got manhandled, but his Division was mostly intact. This was not to mention that Longstreet's Corps was only just arriving.

"Dear God" Grant thought to himself, "where would I be without the reports I've been getting through the night?" He made a decision...

Last edited:
Name+US Civil War+Battle of Gettysburg

usertron2020 & all

This is a pretty deep TL and if your not strongly into the ACW [or possibly simply not born in the US;)] its a bit difficult relating names, units and positions. Would it be possible to get a sketch of the basic terrain and deployment of forces please? That would make it a lot easier for those of us without your in-depth knowledge to follow in a meaningful way. Or possibly, if its currently a close enough match to OTL at this point, other than grant being in charge, a link to a map of the battlefield. That would be a great help.

Thanks

Steve
Most of the names are in wikipedia under US Civil War (person's name). As to a general idea for the deployments of the armies, think of a fishhook with the XII Corps as the barb, the XI and I Corps as the curve of the hook, the II and III Corps as the stem, the Cavalry Corps and remaining Artillery Reserve inside the hook, and the V Corps as the hole and line secured to it. The VI Corps? You'll see.:p

For the Confederates? Ewell's Corps runs all the way from the barb to the end of the curve of the hook. A.P. Hill's Corps (what's left of it, about 70-75% strength) in reserve or covering part of the northern end of the stem. Longstreet's Corps (as they feed into the line) going up the stem. Yes, Longstreet's Corps right flank is in the air.

Last edited:
Busy, Busy, Busy...

8AM The Second Day

Grant had returned to Meade's headquarters to talk to Meade about a decision he had made. He froze a moment. What if Meade were to feel it was his decision? Or at least one achieved jointly? This just might work, Grant thought. But much depends on a certain primadonna behaving as he has ever since Grant had arrived.

"General Meade, what can you tell me of the whereabouts of the 3rd (Kilpatrick's) Cavalry Division?" Grant inquired. Meade, who by now had accepted that Grant wasn't looking to fire him, coolly responded: "Sir, individual units, including Custer's Brigade, have been filing in through the night and morning. They all speak of a running battle with Jeb Stuart that explains why we've seen neither hide nor hair of any major Rebel cavalry since this battle started. I expect that's why we haven't heard from Kilpatrick either. As you know, Gregg's 2nd Cavalry Division is covering our rear, and I have deployed some of the other brigades to cover the wagon train and what's remaining of the Artillery Reserve." "That sounds fine. I'm keeping the 1st Cavalry, reinforced with some of the extra cavalry brigades separated from their Division Commanders out of action for now. We-""SIR! Aren't you going to ask ME about our cavalry deployments?" a voice cried out.

Both mens' heads whipped around to see the flushed face of General Alfred Pleasanton, Army of the Potomac Cavalry Corps Commander. "General Grant, I've just been SITTING here, doing nothing, while General Meade has allowed my cavalry to be scattered to the four winds! MY cavalry chose this battle site, MY cavalry has done most of the fighting, MY cavalry has kept Stuart from rejoining Lee's Army, MY-" "ENOUGH!" Meade looked straight into Pleasanton's eyes and said: "General Pleasanton, thank you, that will be all." Pleasanton made to speak again but Meade said in a much lower, colder voice: "That will be all". Pleasanton gave both men looks, Meade's was angry, Grant's worried. Then he stormed out. As Grant looked at the closed door, he thought:"I must be dreaming. Surely it couldn't be this easy?"

"Everyone out". Grant made it clear he meant NOW. "Oh, not YOU, General Meade. Sit down." As Grant sat down himself, he asked: "How often does THAT happen?" "More than I would like, General Grant." "Is he very good at his job?" "Competent, sir. But very, very, connected. Did you know he got the cavalry commander in Washington fired through political connections?""I heard he was fired, not how. But I had only just taken over at that time." Grant replied. "Do you remember what I promised you about political Generals, and Generals who play politics?" Grant saw Meade's eyes widen with joy as the full implications of what Grant said sunk in. "Now?" Meade squeaked. "No time like the present, General Meade. There's the little matter of who's next? Kilpatrick is God know where, and Gregg's needed where HE is, so who...?" Grant asked questioningly. "Oh sir, no question at all. I've been getting damn all from the cavalry except from the 1st. After their performance yesterday, I simply MUST promote him." Meade said excitedly. "Well, it's your decision, of course, General Meade, and you have my full support in this." Grant smiled. Meade smiled. "I'll send my aide-de-camp to inform him at-""Just a moment, General Meade" Grant cut in, "About your aide-de-camp..."

Last edited:
AT LAST!

I SHOULD MAKE CLEAR THIS THREAD IS NOT TOLD STRICTLY FROM GRANT'S POINT OF VIEW, BUT CHANGES ON THE CONFEDERATES' SIDE ARE ONLY COMING IN ON A SIGNIFICANT LEVEL AT 8AM OF THE SECOND DAY. I DIDN'T SEE THE POINT OF WRITING CONFEDERATE POSTS THAT WOULD BE 99% OTL. DON'T WORRY, FOLKS. LEE'S IN THE VERY NEXT POST.

Last edited:
Where is Stuart?

7AM to 8AM The Second Day

Lee looked out on "those people" as he called them. They had fought us very hard, yesterday. If we withdraw now... Odd that it was his newest corps commander, Ewell, who urged him most strongly on his current course. Ewell, and his seeming overreaching second in command Early were insistent that the enemy's position in their front was the strongest; that any assaults we make must be on on our right flank.

Odd that he, Lee, would find Ewell correct when he knew full well that Ewell has not seen one blade of grass in the ridges to the far south of the town, below the two hills. Lee had only done a cursory personal look-see of the high hills just south of Gettysburg last night, but what little he saw caused him to agree with Ewell, at least in part. Any attack there could only be done after the main attack had been started, so as to draw strength off from Ewell's front. Ewell had done very well, but he could have done still better. Still, bagging nearly two corps in your first battle in command of a corps is nothing to sneeze at, Lee thought.

If only I could be as sanguine about A.P. Hill's performance. Bedridden, ill, not in effective command at all through the day. Heth and Pender blundered into battle, their divisions suffering for it. I had to personally get Anderson to start his division into motion. Our Third Corps was badly mistreated yesterday, but it could have been far worse. All they need is time to rest.

If only I knew of Stuart. What's become of him? Dear Heavenly Father, watch over and protect him. This I pray. A small sting of guilt struck him as he knew that so much was dependent on Stuart, that last prayer was somewhat self-serving. Perhaps this is why I tend to avoid the 85th Psalm, Lee thought{It's a prayer for personal good fortune-AUTHOR'S NOTE}. Just trust in His Divine Will. I have SOME cavalry, but they simply are not providing me with the sort of knowledge we have come to take for granted. Knowledge of the ground, the enemy's positions, their strengths. Most ominously, we have not been freed from the enemy's cavalry while we operate deep in enemy terrain. It will depend, I suppose, on whether Meade and Grant believe their own scouting reports. Well, they are both new to command, so what time is better to strike them than now?

He looked on his and Longstreet's staff officers, standing around a table with a map of the area. A.P. Hill was there, and looking better. Heth was there, looking worse. With a bloodied bandage around his head, and a hand against a tree to support his weight, the man looked very poorly indeed. Well, that's what General Trimble is here for. It is good I did not wait for the paperwork to go through. McLaws was just arriving, but Hood was already here and looking impatient, as he always did before a battle. And there was Longstreet, wearing a mask Lee could only describe as one of purest consternation. Well, one way or another, Longstreet was going to have to understand. Understand, and obey...

{AUTHOR'S NOTE-NEXT POSTING IS ALSO IN LEE'S CAMP}

Storm Clouds Thickening...

8AM to 9AM The Second Day

General Lee motioned Longstreet aside. "This can't be good." Longstreet thought. After exchanging pleasantries, Lee said: "Last night, I spoke with Generals Ewell and Hill at some length. They both agreed that the terrain on our left flank does not allow for independent attack. For Ewell, he simply must have the enemy denude his forces in front of his corps to allow him a chance to attack with success. When I broached your idea of maneuvering the army around the high round hills to the far south, they most strenuously objected. Their objections being based on the principles of abandoning the field to the enemy, with the enemy in fortified positions, with plentiful cavalry, Stuart missing, and allowing the enemy to attain the initiative, to even cut us off from home. General Ewell even stressed that with Grant looking over Meade's shoulder, such a circumstance could lead us to a Second Sharpsburg (Antietam). Tell me something, General Longstreet. Since you seem to be the only officer in this army with an opinion of General Grant to equal General Ewell's, what say you?".

After listening to all that, Longstreet was left frustrated. Yes, he thought, no question Sam Grant was no fool. We give him the slightest opening, and he'll be all over us like a posse on a horsethief. As he looked on Lee's eyes, he felt a coil tightening inside his stomach. Lee's eyes were those of a man who'd already made his mind up. There were no doubts anymore, there would be an attack. There was nothing more to say, so Longstreet simply nodded, as if taking Lee's question to be rhetorical.

Lee nodded in return, saying: "Exactly. We cannot retreat, we cannot maneuver, and we cannot simply wait for the enemy to get ever more reinforced, so we must strike, and without any delay." Both men walked to the small table surrounded by officers looking down at a map of Gettysburg.

Longstreet was pleased that his Chief-of-Staff, Major Sorrel, seemed to be in the role of master of ceremonies. "Gentleman, if you look, you'll see the enemy's position is in the shape of a fishhook, with the barb being one of two high hills commanding southeast over Gettysburg itself. The curve comprises the second hill to the immediate southwest. A total of three corps are on those two hills" General Hill interjected-"But the two corps on that large hill, to the southwest, are the Ist and XIth, yes?". No doubt reminding everyone at the table what were the good works of Hill's troops yesterday, Longstreet thought. "Yes sir, General. If I may...?" Sorrel asked. Continuing,"The stem of the fishhook extends to the base of these two round hills to the south. Until dawn, we thought the stem was uncovered, but we have reports that it is now heavily reinforced. We have not, as yet, been able to identify those troops."

General Hood inquired of Lee: "So as I understand, General, for now you wish my division, and McLaw's, to simply feed in behind this long ridge (Seminary Ridge) opposite the enemy?" Lee nodded, saying "Just try to make sure the enemy doesn't know what they are truly facing, General Hood. I understand it will be some little while before your artillery is up?". "Yes, sir."

Turning, Lee's gaze turned to his "Old Warhorse": "General Longstreet, what are we looking at currently coming in from the west?" "Well sir, we've got Hood's and McLaw's Divisions, the supply trains, Pickett's Division, and Imboden's Cavalry running all the way back to Cashtown."

Looking down on a map that was already outdated, Lee considered his options...

Last edited:
Plans, and more plans.

9AM to 10AM The Second Day
Lee's meeting with Longstreet and his senior officers continues...

"Gentlemen, for now, as I see where the enemy is currently concentrated, I believe it is here (indicating Cemetery Ridge on the map) where our best opportunity for attack lies. Our scouts sent to study the enemy's positions have not yet returned, but under the circumstances there are steps we can now take regardless of what they report." Lee looked up. Good. Nothing but determination in their eyes, so far.

Except for old Pete {Author's Note-"Pete" was Longstreet's nickname, as "Sam" was Hood's}. What was wrong with him? Where was the fire I saw at Fredericksburg? Can it be Grant? Can it be the prospect of defeating, possibly killing, his old friend? Well, we all knew what it would mean when we violated the Oath. But what choice did we have? To fight against our own homes? Purely unthinkable. Longstreet will do his duty, as will we all.

General Lee went on: "General Trimble is here, gentlemen, because I am giving him command of Pender's Division. The surgeons say General Pender will live, but is not fit to command for the foreseeable future due to his wounds. General Heth, your division will remain today in reserve, behind Trimble, for rest and tactical support, if needed." Heth nodded, gratefully. Good, thought Lee. Perhaps he will take things better when I tell him I must replace him with one of his brigade commanders by this time tomorrow.

"General Hill, I understand Anderson's Division is currently your freshest?" Lee asked. "Yes sir. They saw some action yesterday, but it was mostly just getting Yankees to skedaddle faster off the field." Hill said proudly. Lee replied: "Very good. Then here I want Trimble's Division demonstrating up against the hill adjacent to Gettysburg (Cemetery Hill) and Anderson's Division demonstrating towards the ridge south of that hill (Gesturing to the northern two-thirds of Cemetery Ridge)." Anderson looked very cool, but Trimble was almost shaking, Lee thought. Well, this was the chance Trimble had always wanted.

Lee went on, turning to Longstreet and his divisional commanders: "General McLaws and General Hood will march around Hill's Corps' rear and right flank. Your mission will be to move in on the left flank of those people. General McLaws' Division will be on the left flank of the assault force, and General Hood," looking up into Hood's eyes "You, general, will take the far right flank, hitting Meade's extreme left. The overall effect will be an en echelon attack, with First Corps breaking up Meade's flank, panicking his troops. This will allow our forces in Third Corps to take advantage to seize the high ground in front of them. Then Second Corps can take the large hill in their front, once Meade has stripped its defenses to bolster his crumbling center and left. Is everything understood?" A chorus of 'yes, sirs' followed.

However, General Hood had one point to make: "Sir, from what I can see from this map, my boys will be facing serious enfilade fire." "Don't worry, general. You'll be amidst Meade's men soon enough, then the artillery will no longer be a major concern." Lee replied.

Lee walked over to Traveller, preparing to mount up. He turned at the last moment to General Longstreet, and said: "You were unusually quiet today, general". "Sir, you know my feelings, we discussed it yesterday and this morning. But you've made things quite clear, as have I. I can only follow orders, Sir." "We must all follow our orders, general." Lee replied. Lee could hear the capitalization of that last "Sir". "We will talk again soon, General Longstreet, but for now I must speak to General Ewell about today's plans."

With that, Lee mounted and prepared to ride off. But just then, a rider came in at a full gallop, from the direction of the two round hills. Lee rode up to the man, and recognized him. It was Captain Samuel Johnston, his Staff Chief Engineering Officer! The man was covered in streaming rivers of blood, and judging by the steady, if lathered breathing of Johnston's horse, that blood was entirely Johnston's. My God, the man won't live an hour, Lee thought! I sent him to scout out any possible positions the enemy might occupy on the planned avenues of attack. Those positions had last been thought to be empty! Johnston began a slow-motion fall from his horse that was quickly stopped by officers rushing up to offer aid.

"General Lee, I beg you sir, hear what I have to say..." Johnston choked out. Lee quickly nodded, as Johnston was set down on the grass. "Sir, that rocky hill (Little Round Top) is covered by enemy troops and guns sir, covered!" Longstreet came up and asked: "Johnston, have you identified the enemy up there?" There was no point in asking about the rest of Johnston's scouting force. If HE came back like this... "Sir, it's Buford's Cavalry Division screening for the Yankee V Corps. ALL the Corps, sir, plus far too many guns just to account for V Corps' Artillery Brigade sir. It has to include at least part of their Reserve, but we never got close enough to see their colors. Buford's boys caught us and just..."

It was then that the light started to fade in Captain Johnston's eyes. Longstreet put his hands over Johnston's eyes, closing them. The breathing would continue for some time, but Captain Samuel Richards Johnston's time on this Earth was done. Dear Lord, look over and protect this man, and take him into Your Almighty Kingdom, Amen. Lee kept the prayer to himself, but he knew the same prayers were running through the minds of every man here. This man gave his life to save this whole army. We knew there was movement up on the rocky hill, but it was taken to be signal troops, not a whole Corps plus maybe half the Yankee artillery! He thought back to his now hopelessly obsolescent battle plan...

Last edited:
The Second Plan

10AM to 11AM The Second Day

Walking back to Longstreet's makeshift headquarters, Lee brooded on his options. How to maneuver, attack AND maintain surprise? Where to attack now? Can success be achieved with such a natural fortress before us? General Hood's concern about enfilade fire becomes all the more serious, now. But perhaps...

Lee asked: "Major Sorrel, show me where on this map is the nature of the terrain between us and those two round hills." "Yes, sir. There isn't much to go on sir. Between us and the Yankees is the Emmitsburg Road. It nearly goes parallel along our two lines, sir. There's a peach orchard, about halfway between Anderson's Division and the round hills. Also, a wheatfield halfway between the peach orchard and the rocky round hill (Little Round Top). We just can't get any closer to the enemy due to the presence of Buford's Division, or what's left of it. Of the rocky hill itself, sir, I can only say it is VERY rocky, sir." Sorrel finished and looked up to General Lee, then Longstreet.

"General Longstreet, I want your two forward divisions to continue on their current path. Whatever may happen today, southwest of this ridge will be their starting point. It is only a question now of where they strike. I also have yet to speak to General Ewell, and the revelation of the Yankee V Corps being on the rocky hill means there are even more important details he must know, and know now." Longstreet saluted to his commander as Lee rode off. I am NOT launching this attack without Law's Brigade of McLaws' Division, Longstreet thought. Bad enough I have to fight without Pickett, he's got the best division in the army. I better get Captain Goree (Longstreet's aide-de-camp) to catch up with the General and let him know.

Later, as Lee was approaching Ewell's encampment, he considered the latest
message he received. "Waiting for Law's Brigade only made sense under the current circumstances", Lee told Goree, and directed him to ride off and let Longstreet know of his approval. Lee realized he was fuming, and fought to control his temper. He knew he would need that stern control, for he knew far better, since last night, what he was facing with General Ewell. General Trimble had given him such a report as he had never heard in all his years of service. Lee did not doubt at all, that were General Trimble to be in charge of this army, Ewell would be facing a court-martial. It embarrassed him to no small degree that in spite of Ewell's failures, Lee found himself still in agreement with the man regarding the general overall plan of battle for today. So he must moderate his words carefully. Any rebuke of the failures of Ewell's Corps on the first day of this battle should not include the command of Johnson's Division, as they were not even in contact with the enemy till nightfall.

It would appear General Johnson is not here just now. Very good, Lee thought. As he dismounted, Lee quietly motioned Ewell, Early, and Rodes over to him, but NOT out of earshot of other officers nearby. "Gentlemen, I am here to simply make matters fully understood. When you hear the cannonfire of Longstreet's and Hill's artillery, that will be your signal to attack, and when I say attack, gentlemen, I mean at once." Lee gestured, pointing to Culp's Hill, and said: "There is your objective, gentlemen. Just have your men ready to take that hill." Lee's eyes gazed over these men. Yes, they know their duty now. And now, I must go to fulfill mine.

As Lee rode away from Ewell's headquarters, he turned to his Chief-of-Staff, Colonel Marshall. Lee ordered Marshall to write up the new orders for attack as soon as they reached Lee's own headquarters...

Last edited:
March On, March On

9 AM The Second Day

Grant looked down on the enemy as they continued to move into the ridge beyond the Emittsburg Road. According to General Warren, his Signals Officer, there was a large scale movement beyond what the locals called "Seminary Ridge". Far more dust was being raised than could be accounted for, considering the force directly across from us, it would seem. Warren said in his signals that he believed it to be the beginnings of Longstreet's Corps. He also suggested that it could be the start of a long range flanking maneuver around our left flank.

Grant just shook his head, thinking to himself: Of course, General Warren. He's flanking our left, he's flanking our right, he hitting us with a frontal assault, all while he's landing in our rear. Still, Warren was making perfectly good sense in one way. Quite good sense indeed. His last message suggested that we place a single regiment on Big Round Top to act as a force of delay until other units from V Corps can be redeployed to aid in Big Round Top's defense. If they don't attack there, VI Corps can be moved in later.

As he gazed upon Big Round Top, he saw the difficulty anyone would have trying to fight there. High trees blocking any decent field of vision or fire. But the approaches...? Getting up, he walked up to Meade, and asked him about their most extreme left/southern flank, Big Round Top. Meade said Lee would never do the Army of the Potomac such a favor as to attack that hill.

"Sir, we can see every move they make, and redeploy to any objective they approach before they are half way there. Interior lines, better communications, and best of all the high ground. Sir, we got licked in all our battles up until this battle because we had NONE of these things. Now we have them all. If ever we could whip Lee, it's here and now." Meade beamed.

I didn't think it was possible that a man with such a sour disposition could be glowing, but it sure looked like that to Grant. Good. Nothing wrong with some confidence. Maybe Meade can find a way for that confidence to flow down to his subordinate officers.

Grant told Meade about Warren's worry about Big Round Top and his suggestion to send V Corps' most extreme flanking regiment to the summit. Meade agreed it was a good idea but the message better arrive to Sykes signed straight from him, since after all Meade used to be Sykes' old corps commander. Grant nodded in agreement. Meade turned to one of his staff officers to draft the orders. "Just make sure the orders go direct to Sykes, as well as the division and brigade commander responsible, we can't afford any 'protocol' slipups on a day like today" Meade said. Grant's back was turned as he heard this. Did he mean that, or was it just a good performance? Time will tell, I suppose....

Last edited:

67th Tigers

Banned
It's not iffy. It's INSANE.:eek: Sickles (and his III Corps) is right where he was IOTL on the southern half of Cemetery Ridge. It is SYKES (and his V Corps) who is being sent to protect Little Round Top, as he did IOTL, but far far earlier. By your profile it looks like you are Quebecois, so you are VERY forgiven for mis-reading the two names.:eek:

PS This is where you tell me you are a professor of languages at Yale University.:cool:

Sickles advance to Peach Orchard Ridge was the only reasonable CoA. That ridge completely dominated the southern half of Cemetary Ridge and is the Vital Ground on that sector of the field.

The low rocky hills (the round tops) are useless for prettymuch anything, and the fighting around them was a skirmish nobody planned getting out of control. Hood's division threw about 1,800 troops at them in order to secure their flanks during the movement to Peach Orchard Ridge.

The Butterflies Have Taken Wing...

10 AM The Second Day

Big Round Top-The Summit.

"Oh Lawrence, please tell me I don't have to go down this hill any time soon." Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, newly minted commanding officer of the 20th Maine Volunteers, turned to his brother in frustration. "Dammit, Tom, when you're an aide you have to expect constantly going back and forth. It's your job to pass messages to Colonel Vincent in brigade headquarters and bring back his responses to me. And DON'T call me 'Lawrence'. It shows too much familiarity in front of the men. Understand?" Chamberlain directed backed to Tom.

"Oh right you are, Sir! Wouldn't want people to get the idea we KNOW each other, Sir!" Tom jovially responded. It's times like this I am glad I chose to grow such a heavy mustache, Chamberlain thought. No one can see me smiling. "Law-Sir! I just don't understand what we are DOING here sir! I mean, we can't place artillery unless the engineers worked on this place for the next week to a month, and the enemy can't either. If I know that, then why...?" Tom asked in exasperation. Because our commanders figure Lee doesn't know that and will try anyway, Chamberlain thought. But he didn't feel like arguing with his own brother in front of the men, soooo...

"Tom, it is simply not our place to worry. Look at it this way. We have reinforcements coming from VI Corps, we have V Corps sitting right next to us ready to pitch in with plentiful men and guns, and cavalry ready to slow down the enemy long enough for the army to redeploy. God himself gave this regiment a fortress that could hold off a considerably larger force than ours. The enemy can't SEE US to use their artillery, they have NO cavalry to speak of, and they would have to attack across the front of half the army. Trust me, Tom. We are very safe. We don't even have to defend the very front of this hill because the Rebs can't climb cliffs that sheer." As Chamberlain finished, he saw the calming effect he had had with his brother.

"But Colonel, Sir, why did you take those old Second Maine boys we were just given and put them right over by the edge of those cliffs, Sir?" I wonder if Mother will let me Court-Martial Tom? Chamberlain thought. "Because they are recent mutineers, Tom. I need to give them something to do that's not demanding yet gives them a sense of self-esteem. I want THEM to know that I RESPECT THEM. My God, Tom. They have been through eleven separate battles, and I thought WE were veterans."

"Listen, Tom. I'm sorry but I need you to take another trip to the little rocky hill and check in with Colonel Vincent. See if there's any fresh news."
"Sir, I will do that. I will ALSO put together a small team of runners for you the next time the urge strikes you to use your soldiers as cavalry..." Tom moaned as he headed downhill. If you only understood, Tom. Runners inside our own lines are usually very safe. I'm not going to have Mother lose two sons in one day if I can help it.

Last edited:
Help!

Sickles advance to Peach Orchard Ridge was the only reasonable CoA. That ridge completely dominated the southern half of Cemetary Ridge and is the Vital Ground on that sector of the field.

The low rocky hills (the round tops) are useless for prettymuch anything, and the fighting around them was a skirmish nobody planned getting out of control. Hood's division threw about 1,800 troops at them in order to secure their flanks during the movement to Peach Orchard Ridge.

67th Tigers

One of the reasons I've been keeping such a tight timeline is I wanted readers to get a better following of events as they can happen with Grant thrown into the mix. So far, except for preventing the slowdown caused by Meade's "Pipe Creek Line", keeping Buford's cavalry (reinforced) on the extreme left flank, and moving V Corps and part of the Artillery Reserve to Little Round Top, there haven't been any real major changes ITTL from OTL. Also, the real fighting of the Second Day has not yet begun.

I realize in looking back that there are suggestions that somehow Grant was going to play the role of the Amazing Karnak. Hardly. There WILL be mistakes made by the Union side, of course. But as one poster said very early, IOTL it was very difficult to find a MAJOR error by Meade other than the third day left flank cavalry charge.

As far as Sickles goes, I've read contemporary accounts by Southern officers who agreed with Sickles' decision and said that it is just what a Southern General would have done.:) However, when Lee was asked after the war who was the best opponent he had ever faced, he replied: "McClellan, by far.":rolleyes: So maybe praises from the enemy may not be considered always desirable.

Sickles' biggest problem in history may be his civilian-general status. Military historians tend to be military. As such, they can carry with them the weight of personal bias against non-professionals acting as flag officers in wartime.

Please, keep in touch, let me know what you think....:)

Last edited:
Stretched Too Thin?

10AM The Second Day

V Corps Headquarters-In the rear of the Little Round Top

"Interesting orders. You see the hand of Grant in this, Captain Jay?" so said V Corps commander Major General Sykes to his senior aide. "I wonder sir, I really do. It seems to require the enemy to do precisely what we want them to do."

"Indeed, captain, indeed.To send Crawford's Third Division down to those rocks! And Weed's Brigade as the only reserve?" On top of everything else, Meade wants a brigade sent down to Sickles to maintain a link with III Corps. That will be Ayer's Second Division, Burbank's Second Brigade. I better tell Colonel Burbank myself. If you're sending a man to his death, you should look him in the eye when you're doing it.

Last edited:
Command and Control?

10AM to 11AM The Second Day

"You may inform your corp commander that ALL officers see their immediate front as the most threatened, and always report so to THEIR superior officers!" These were the words General Meade used to dismiss Colonel Trobriand, one of Sickles' brigade commanders. The man was sent by Sickles himself, apparently. Trobriand's warnings continued to roll through Grant's head as he watched riders come and go with messages, each claiming "Bobby Lee" was about to attack THEIR troops and theirs' alone. Not from Hancock (II Corps Commander) though. Another officer to watch. To be fair, I guess, even MEADE sings his praises.

"General Grant, General Meade, SIR!" Both men looked up with dread. Sure enough, Sickles was there. "General Sickles, an attack on your front may be imminent. What the HELL are you doing here?!" Meade roared. Sickles shot back: "Sir, there is a section of high ground that dominates the entire southern half of III Corps! If the enemy takes and holds that ground, they will have mastery of the field!" Meade retorted "Yours is not the only sector in the battle, General Sickles!" Meade seemed to hesitate for just a moment, before going on in a lower, more steady voice: "General Sickles, there are other considerations in this battle than the immediate difficulties you are facing. Just Hold The Line! Do you understand? Hold the line! You may not have the high ground in some parts of your corps, but it's just about the place in Gettysburg where we don't have it. Now for God's sakes, get back to your men."

At this point Grant found himself starting to lose his own patience. "General Sickles, there is more going on than you know. But it vitally depends on everyone doing as they are told, understand? I must emphasize
that there is NO ONE OFFICER that this battle depends on more than you, especially on the matter of military discipline, CLEAR? Grant and Meade both gave a stern gaze to Sickles. If Sickles didn't wilt, he did at least give the look of a child who had just swallowed nasty medicine. Sickles nodded, saluted, and was dismissed.

As Sickles stepped out, Meade's aid-de-camp, Captain George G. Meade Jr., stepped in. "how went your mission, Captain?" Grant asked. Young Captain Meade replied: "Quite pleasingly, Sir! Copies of the dispatches were sent to each officer on your list, signed by you and" saying with a proud smile, "co-signed by the Army Commander". Now there were smiles all around.

"Well, General Meade, I'm afraid that experience with Sickles was all we expected. At least now we've taken some precautions. So tell me, General Meade, where is this lightening speed for which Lee is so famous for? Were our own troops not so tired, I'd be urging YOU to attack by now." Grant looked up, awaiting Meade's answer. Meade spoke just two steps above a whisper: "Three words, Sir. Three words explain it all. If not for those three words, we would have been driven from this field, yielding a moderate victory for the Rebels. Even now, we'd setting up for the Pipe Creek Line. Those three words sir? JACKSON IS DEAD."

Last edited:
11AM to 12PM The Second Day

As General Buford wrapped up the lastest orders into his saddlebag, he turned to Colonel Gramble to give his apologies. "A healthier officer is needed for the 1st Cavalry Division, Colonel. You've remarked yourself how difficult it has been for you to catch your breathing during a battle." Gramble nodded. "I have to give the command to Colonel, now Brigadier General, Devin. Mind, you both performed outstandingly yesterday. I told everyone at headquarters that last night."

"Judging by Meade's message sir, I'd say he was listening." Devin said, smiling. "In fact, I-" "Just a moment, gentlemen. A guest is arriving". Buford looked at a horseman riding in at a slow trot. Major General Alfred Pleasanton came up to the three officers, and there was an awkward silence. "Gentlemen, before I give you your new orders, I must ask you, have you forgotten to salute?" Pleasanton coldly asked. Buford looked to Gramble and Devin, as if to silence them. Then, he proceeded to explain: "General Pleasanton, here are my orders." Pleasanton, looking confused, opened the letter:

Brigadier General John Buford

Most Urgent

You are hereby promoted to the rank of Major General of Volunteers (Brevet)
effective immediately. You are to report to Army Headquarters at once to confer with myself and assume your new command. You are free to appoint your replacement as you see fit. Your replacement is to continue with your own previous orders to support the left flank.

Sincerest congratulations on a most deserved elevation,

Major General George Meade, Commanding Officer, Army of the Potomac

"I am sorry, General Pleasanton, I thought you would have been told by now..." Buford stopped when he realized Pleasanton wasn't listening. Their former commander just turned away on his horse and slowly headed away, almost aimlessly. Maybe I can talk to General Meade, see if I can get him to intercede with Grant, Buford mused. Maybe get Pleasanton a command under Sherman, or out West. After all, I am a Corps Commander now, might as well use the heft while I have it.

Last edited:
Peach Orchard Ridge

The low rocky hills (the round tops) are useless for pretty much anything, and the fighting around them was a skirmish nobody planned getting out of control. Hood's division threw about 1,800 troops at them in order to secure their flanks during the movement to Peach Orchard Ridge.
67th Tigers
Historians have argued Sickles' decision for almost 150 years. Does slowing down the Confederate assault justify the sacrifice of III Corps? ITTL, the Union infantry has had their arrival time at Gettysburg changed in their favor due to Grant's countermanding Meade's idea of the "Pipe Creek Line". This means III Corps' situation is not so dire as IOTL.

This kind of "butterfly effect" is as serious as if McClellan had never received Lee's battle plans (No Sharpsburg/Antietam/No Emancipation Proclamation in 1863), or Lee had not been informed by a spy that McClellan HAD Lee's order of battle/deployments (Devastating Sharpsburg/Antietam/President McClellan!:D).

I myself have only spent about 1 weeks' time in Gettysburg. There are certainly many commanding ridges and depressions along the Emmitsburg Road, so how domineering are they to the whole conduct of the battle? How do YOU see the events unfolding in front of a static vs mobile III Corps? The Union Army ITTL is arriving 4 to 6 hours earlier?:confused:

As always, all input is appreciated:):)

Last edited: