Government of a Second Constitutional in the 1920s

The new US government would most likely be...

• Federal presidential republic

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Presidential confederation

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Federal parliamentary republic

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Federal semi-presidential republic

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I’m writing a TL, where essentially the United States sort of breaks up before the constitution is ratified. New England, New York, and Carolina (NC, SC, and GA) break off around 1789 and a rump US remains.

At some point in the 1910s or 1920s I want these countries to come back together to form like a new US. I also have Texas and an independent Louisiana coming to the table to form this new union. But I’m unsure of what the government structure would look like. I’d assume it’d be a federal presidential republic, given the nature of the other states. However, it will have been nearly 150 years since the constitution was signed and so the government will be different. I know Wilson favored a parliamentary system but I’m not sure if that could really be passed.

So really my question is if anyone has any ideas on what a US constitution formed in the 1920s would look like.

I went Federal Parliamentary. The Articles of Confederation were crafted on the basis of a fear of too much executive authority being vested in a singular body/person. For the Constitutional Convention to fail, that fear had to have continued. For an eventual union occurring over a century later, tying executive authority to the legislative body as under the Articles (as well as further protecting the power of those states now seeking a new union) makes the most sense; a soft central government with a great deal of power distribution would seem quite equitable and desirable.

Last edited:
Maybe a Napoleon like figure emerges with a pan-Americanist ideal and forcibly unites the United States into an American Empire. Maybe this alternate Constitution would be modeled off of Napoleon's Imperial Constitution. Perhaps this Imperial government is overthrown after a couple of generations and the new Provisional government looks to the Founding Fathers and that of Britain as an ideal for their nation.