I - The Franco-Prussian Alliance and the War of the Third Coalition
The Failure of Prussian Neutrality and the Franco-Prussian Alliance

In 1795, Prussia made its separate peace with France at the Peace of Basel, leaving the First Coalition. It would spend the next ten years desperately trying to avoid the constant wars being fought across the continent. During those ten years, the revolutionary regime that had so terrified Europe’s conservative governments was replaced by a monarchy, headed by the newly-crowned emperor Napoleon I. The ‘Corsican Ogre’ would prove barely less frightening to France’s enemies.

With the failure of the Treaty of Amiens, Britain resumed its fight with France. In 1805, it seemed that another coalition was beginning to coalesce. Despite this, King Frederick William III kept his kingdom neutral. Due to the absolutist nature of the Prussian government, influencing official policy largely centered on the King’s ministers – and which ministers could count on being in his favor. One of those men was Count Christian von Haugwitz, a decidedly anti-French senior diplomat. It would be his counsel that would keep Prussia leaning toward the Allies, yet neutral.

Haugwitz would resign in 1804, officially due to health reasons, but professional embarrassment by his fellow diplomat Lombard was a more likely reason. The new minister, the pro-French Count Karl August von Hardenberg would now be much more at liberty to influence foreign policy, and fate would soon make it final. On a rainy morning in March 1805, Haugwitz rode over his estate. He would develop a cold, then pneumonia, and die two weeks later [1]. It is very likely Hardenberg was greatly relieved by this development, as his chief adversary in the “antechamber of power” had been removed. As Europe prepared to go to war again, Hardenberg could now turn his country to a course that lead straight into the arms of France.

For years, Prussia had turned hungry glances at Hannover, but never dared to risk Britain’s wrath. On 8 August 1805, France’s ambassador in Berlin, Laforest, made an overture of alliance with Prussia. France had annexed Hannover in 1803, and now offered it and an offensive-defensive alliance to Prussia in exchange for recognition of its gains in Italy. Despite the frequently insulting nature of Laforest’s proposals, this was the critical moment for Prussia – with Britain using the threat of Russia to force Prussia’s hand, a decision would have to be made.

Frederick William, however, would not easily be moved from his anti-French stance. “Can I,” the King asked Hardenberg, “without violating moral rules, without losing the esteem of good men in Europe, without being noted in history as a prince without faith, depart from the stance which I have maintained hitherto in order to have Hanover?” In the opinion of several of his foreign ministers, obtaining Hannover was reason enough to join France. After a few more weeks of discussion, Frederick William relented. Prussia would accept the offer of alliance on 4 September 1805.

The War of the Third Coalition

The debate over the question of a Franco-Prussian alliance was conducted in the shadow of the looming threat of Russian invasion, set for 28 September. Britain was naturally outraged by the actions of Prussia, Frederick William now seen as a weak monarch who had allied his country with France out of sheer greed. The seemingly omnipresent Royal Navy, having destroyed France’s navy at Trafalgar, quickly did the same to Prussia’s merchant fleet over the course of late 1805.

As the stagnated Prussian army mobilized a 90,000-man army under the 71-year-old Duke of Brunswick to contend with Kutuzov’s 75,000 Russians in Poland, Napoleon began his spectacular Ulm Campaign. Brunswick would not enjoy similar success; the Prussian army was defeated at Oleksin, and after losing almost 15,000 men, would abandon Warsaw. The Coalition's victories in Poland would be its only real successes on land however. With the fall of Vienna, Napoleon was now free to come to Prussia's aid. He arrived with four corps at Brunswick's camp at Poznań. The Franco-Prussian army would win a hard-fought victory at Majdany on the banks of the Warta.

The war would be concluded by the Treaty of Schönbrunn, in which Napoleon secured his throne and both France and Prussia increased their power. West Galicia was ceded to Prussia, and the Holy Roman Empire would be replaced with the "German Confederation", with Frederick William as President and Napoleon as Protector.

[1] POD - Haugwitz dies, leaving Hardenberg to supplant him as Frederick William's main foreign advisor.

Last edited:
Here we go - my first real timeline. I admit it isn't much to look at, but this is intended to be a trial for me - to get used to format, plotting out events, and feedback among other things. This will no doubt be messy, but I hope to be able to improve my writing with time.

longsword14

Banned
Here we go - my first real timeline. I admit it isn't much to look at, but this is intended to be a trial for me - to get used to format, plotting out events, and feedback among other things. This will no doubt be messy, but I hope to be able to improve my writing with time.
Brunswick was not less capable than Kutuzov, to be honest even if he was quite old. He was perhaps one of the famous names in Europe before the French filled the list.

I suspect the Poles will be much less friendly to Napoleon ITTL.
Funny you should bring that up, I actually had some plans for the Poles.
Brunswick was not less capable than Kutuzov, to be honest even if he was quite old. He was perhaps one of the famous names in Europe before the French filled the list.
True, I actually think Brunswick wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, the Prussian army (especially the staff) is so stagnated that even with Scipio leading them they wouldn't have it easy. Of course, this TL is not overly focused with individual battles, rather than the more general strategic situation.
Watched! I love practical monarchs.
Thanks, I'm unable to update as often as I'd like, but I will definitely try.

Pretty interesting I suspect that Nappy will still lose (because he didn't know when to stop), but if Prussia play the game right, it may leave the Napoleonic Wars with pretty much owning everything between Warsaw and Liege, north of the Bohemian border and south of Hamburg.

Pretty interesting I suspect that Nappy will still lose (because he didn't know when to stop), but if Prussia play the game right, it may leave the Napoleonic Wars with pretty much owning everything between Warsaw and Liege, north of the Bohemian border and south of Hamburg.
So...the North German Federation? Does this remove some of the French opposition to German unification if Napoleon wins (or if he doesn’t and both France and Prussia have their monarchs replaced)?

II - European Events: 1805-1811
The German Confederation: Early Difficulties

Napoleon’s main reason for creating the German Confederation had been to bring several of the German states under French influence. The advent of the Franco-Prussian alliance had forced him to change his vision for the German states to some degree. Rather than form a confederation with the overt appearance of a French buffer, it would do better to create a German union centered on Prussia, albeit with clear French influence. The German Confederation would also serve as a personification of the alliance between France and Prussia and their joint designs on Germany.

For his part, Frederick William was apprehensive regarding becoming president of the Confederation. He had sided with France for the twin purposes of acquiring Hannover and blocking Russian dominance. It had largely succeeded in those goals, with the acquisition of West Galicia serving to expand Prussian power in the East. Being made the leader of a confederation that was almost entirely the wish of France was certainly not his original intention. Yet the King’s objections would have little real effect; Hardenberg observed that Prussia was now in a position to block some of the more outrageous French designs on Germany. In Holland and Naples, Napoleon had created new kingdoms, to be ruled by his brothers, Louis and Joseph, respectively.

The rulers of Bavaria and Saxony, now raised to kings and easily two of the most influential members of the Confederation, resented Prussian dominance over them and their fellow states. The German Confederation would be divided between the larger “French Party” [1] that tended to cleave to Napoleon, and the smaller “Prussian Party” [2] that supported Frederick William. Despite these divisions, the Confederation would function moderately well as the two nations that shared power it over maintained their alliance, shaky though it often was.

The Continental System and the Peninsula

On 16 May 1806, Britain began its blockade of France and the nations allied to it, Prussia included. In retaliation, Napoleon issued his Berlin Decree on 10 July, instituting the Continental System. Louis I of Holland chafed at the restrictions put on Dutch trade. Prussia had never had an especially large merchant fleet, yet Frederick William voiced his distaste for the embargo. The Continental System caused the alliance to be strained, but increased French trade would provide a small measure of aid.

The Emperor, despite all his gains, would still be affected by a loss worse than any he would suffer on the battlefield. On 29 November 1806, the Empress Josephine died after a brief fever. Josephine’s inability to have children was quickly becoming known by that point, and rumors quickly emerged that he had her poisoned. Napoleon’s grief would last for several months, even into his remarriage to Princess Augusta of Bavaria. The Emperor’s deep sadness was slowly replaced by his gradual love for Augusta; she would prove to be an excellent consort. They would have five children, including the future Emperor of the French, Napoleon (1809), and the future King of Italy, Charles (1811).

In Iberia, Napoleon sought to deal with Britain’s long-time ally Portugal. In October 1807, General Junot led a combined Franco-Spanish force to take Lisbon. It would prove a difficult march, but Junot took Lisbon with no bloodshed. After contemplating submission, the Portuguese court escaped to Brazil with the help of the Royal Navy. In January 1808, Joachim Murat would take the throne of Portugal. The Emperor’s youngest brother Jerome would loudly protest that Napoleon had given his brother-in-law a throne before his natural brother. Napoleon is said to have replied, “Why ever would you desire to be ruler of the Portuguese, of all people?” The subjugation of Portugal is commonly referred to as the Second War of the Oranges, yet Manuel Godoy did not repeat his gift of the fruit to the queen, rather the name is meant to display the continuity between the 1801 and 1807 conflicts.

1808 would also see the incompetent Spanish king Charles IV deposed, being replaced by his son as Ferdinand VII. Napoleon seriously considered forcing the Bourbons out of Spain and replacing them with either Joseph or Jerome. Junot would urgently dissuade him from this course of action. Taking his advice, Napoleon supported Ferdinand as king, not bothering to object to the hated Godoy being exiled. France would be rewarded by Spain’s continued allegiance, forcefully supported by Ferdinand.

North of Prussia, the aging Danish king Christian VII was forced to accept an alliance with the French after the British attack on Copenhagen. In Sweden, the eccentric king Gustav IV Adolf had managed to keep his alliance going with Russia. Swedish hopes to reclaim Pomerania had only increased in the time since the defeat in the War of the Third Coalition.

Prussian and Austrian Military Reform and the Birth of the Fourth Coalition

After the embarrassing defeats suffered by Prussia in Poland, the decrepit Prussian military would begin a massive reform. Brunswick’s Chief of Staff, Gerhard von Scharnhorst, and August von Gneisenau would spearhead this program. Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, whose counterattack at Majdany had saved the Prussian right, remained in high command to calm those who might otherwise have been apprehensive toward the reforms. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau would borrow numerous elements of French tactics and drill. When the Prussian army wintered in 1808, it was a very different army than the one that had retreated over the snowy roads out of Warsaw.

Austria had also begun to reform its military as well. By early 1809, many politicians were calling for a renewed war with France. The Archduke Charles cautioned against this, stating that while the army was greatly improved, it would be wisest to wait for increased preparation and a clear statement of Russian support. Charles’ pleas for patience were ignored however, as British and Russian support actualized. Spring 1809 would see the Fourth Coalition come into being.

The War of the Fourth Coalition

The Coalition’s strategy would call for Allied advances on three main fronts. First, a British force under the Duke of York would land in Flanders to draw away French troops. Secondly, The Archduke Charles would make a wide attack into Bavaria. Thirdly, Kutuzov would lead an Austro-Russian force into South Prussia to take Lodz and isolate Warsaw. It was hoped that by forcing France and its allies to spread their forces across a wide area, they would be destroyed in detail.

In April, the Duke of York made his landing in the area near the mouth of the Scheldt. Unfortunately, illness would cause almost a fifth of his 45,000 man force to be out of action. Louis of Holland would send only a few units at a time to his brother’s aid, much to the latter’s chagrin. Leaving about 40,000 under Massena in Flanders, Napoleon took five corps and headed for Bavaria. Using similar tactics that had confounded Mack at Ulm, Napoleon forced Charles to abandon the Bavarian campaign to instead commit to a defense of Bohemia. The French and Austrians would meet at Koniggratz in November 1809, where a bloody two-day battle would be fought, ending in another French victory. Charles would be forced to withdraw to protect Vienna. The French campaigns would continue throughout 1810 as Archduke Charles only barely kept the French back.

In 1810, Blücher and Scharnhorst now lead a revitalized Prussian army against Kutuzov. This second Prussian campaign was initially one of maneuver, as Kutuzov and Blücher tried to bring each other to battle. They would get their wish at Radomsko, where 80,000 Russians made wave after wave of attack on the 60,000 Prussians in their defenses. The Prussians would hold despite great casualties. At first light, the beloved "Marshal Vorwarts", having received 20,000 reinforcements, ordered a general advance. The Russians would mount a spirited a defense, but Prussian numbers, compounded with the death of the heroic Bagration would cause the Russians to make a steady withdrawal.

While the Austrians and Russians make valiant efforts and stubborn retreats, the Duke of York was struggling to make any movements at all. His force, crippled by poor intelligence and almost 8,000 sick, was left marching ponderously across Flanders while Massena kept the roads to Paris closed. There would some medium combat, but the reverses in Bohemia and Poland as well as British distraction caused by war with the United States after the United States-Aurora and President-Guerriere Incidents would see the campaign in Flanders gradually peter out.

With Austria and Russia both deciding to agree to a peace, Britain was left alone in the struggle with France. The Continental System, despite the questionable wisdom behind it, was causing a noticeable decline in British exports. With great reluctance, Britain would sue for peace as well in late 1811. The Treaty of Fontainebleau would end not only the War of the Fourth Coalition, but the French Imperial Wars as a whole. Napoleon had, in spite of everything, become the master of Europe.

[1] Includes Baden; Bavaria; Hesse-Darmstadt; Nassau; Saxony; Württemberg

[2] Includes Brunswick; Hesse-Kassel; Mecklenburg; Thuringian states

Last edited:
Honestly I can't see Napoleon stopping or Russia, Austria and UK making a new coalition at some point. Napoleon problem was that he always took so much, that he was sure that his enemies would come back for a round more.

Honestly I can't see Napoleon stopping or Russia, Austria and UK making a new coalition at some point. Napoleon problem was that he always took so much, that he was sure that his enemies would come back for a round more.
One of the main selling points for a Prussian alliance was that it would scale back Nappy's ambitions. My thinking was that having a powerful ally would provide a deterent for the Coalition powers.

One of the main selling points for a Prussian alliance was that it would scale back Nappy's ambitions. My thinking was that having a powerful ally would provide a deterent for the Coalition powers.

The problem are that Prussia are not that dangerous for the other power. You need for Napoleon to change how he interact with the coalition powers. As example make his new wife convince him, that he need to reach out to the Austrian very least. If a potential coalition are limited to UK and Russia, they won't try anything. A good suggestion could be a treaty where Austria receive the Illyrian Provinces are given back to Austria, it would be a good peace offering. Next you need something which makes Napoleon nervous enough to not want new military adventure. I suggest that a failed coup in Paris could do it. So if we mix that Napoleon need to consolidate his power at home, and his new wife makes him reach out to his enemies and compromise with them. Napoleon could also offer that France woud support a joint Austrian-Russian attack on and partition of the Ottomans.

III - American Events: 1805-1833
The Anglo-American War

Across the Atlantic, the young United States chafed at the British restrictions on trade with France. The anger grew only hotter as British impressment of American sailors increased. In 1807, the Royal Navy frigate Aurora, hunting British deserters, attempted to board the American frigate United States, only to be fired upon. In response, Britain would increase the Royal Navy’s presence in the Americas, causing increasing fears in the United States. President Jefferson would issue the Embargo Act to counter Britain’s actions, angering the Northeastern states.

In 1808, another engagement between British and American ships would occur. On 5 March, Maine citizen John Stephens was impressed by the Royal Navy frigate Guerriere. The frigate President, after several days of searching, found the Guerriere. After a brief, yet sharp fight, the Guerriere escaped. Calls for war with Britain now turned to war fever, as cries of “Hunt the Guerriere!” sounded across the United States.

War would finally be sparked when the actions of Tecumseh’s Confederacy in the Northwest Territory provoked outrage. Poor diplomacy on the part of Secretary of State Robert Smith would also play a major role in ending any hope of continued peace. In June 1809, President James Madison would send a message to Congress recounting the various grievances. Though not calling for a declaration of war, Congress nevertheless approved one. Just a few months into his first term, Madison would lead the United States into its second major conflict.

The United States now had to rapidly formulate a strategy. Secretary of War William H. Crawford and Commanding General of the Army Henry Dearborn [1] recommended a defensive strategy in the Northeast, while offensive action was taken in the Northwest and Southwest against the British-allied Indian tribes.

British Major General Isaac Brock decided a brash strategy was needed for the proper defense of Canada. Detroit was taken after a brief siege, and Brock continued his drive all the way to Fort Dearborn on Lake Michigan. In New York, the British began two more simultaneous advances into American territory. They would win a series of battles, including Ogdensburg, Chippawa, and Black River, eventually forcing Zebulon Pike and his force into a siege at Albany.

It was now winter of 1809, and the British had to maintain a tenuous supply line back to Ogdensburg, as Lake Erie and Lake Ontario were closed off due to surprising American victories. An American relief force commanded by Dearborn and Jacob Brown lifted the siege of Albany, driving the British back. By 1810, the Americans had regained New York, but attempts to drive to the St. Lawrence ended in failure.

In Alabama, the fiery Andrew Jackson defeated the Creeks in several battles. In September 1810, a force led by Robert Ross landed at Mobile to rally their Indian allies. Jackson hurriedly marched south, taking up positions just north of the city. Ross’ troops made repeated assaults on the American lines, but each would be bloodily repulsed. Jackson’s victories against the Indians and British made him a hero across the South, where he became known as “Old Hickory.”

In the Northwest Territory, William Henry Harrison would engage Tecumseh’s forces. The two determined commanders fought a final battle on the Tippecanoe Creek, where Tecumseh would be killed rallying his forces. Harrison, now “Old Tippecanoe,” became a hero across the Ohio Valley.

In late 1810, the British began another advance, this time aimed at Washington. Crawford’s efforts now paid off, as the American militia that had been hastily assembled and trained managed to inflict heavy casualties on the British, led by William Beresford. The Chesapeake Campaign would end in an embarrassing British defeat.

As the French and Prussians staved off the Fourth Coalition, the British had to deal with defeats in Flanders and the Americas, as well as an increasingly-stressed economy. The campaigns had begun with great promise, yet fortunes had turned starkly in the Americans’ favor.

At the Treaty of Amsterdam, concluded in August 1811, the British lost barely any territory. The Americans had barely advanced beyond the U.S.-Canadian border, and as such could not capitalize on the expansionistic hopes of conquering Canada. The Anglo-American War once again brought the United States into France’s orbit as British resentment increased. Napoleon was embraced with a certain amount of trepidation by the American public, but closeness with France would ensure American security in the event of renewed British aggression. Yet it cannot be ignored the United States arguably did more to bring on the second war with Britain, but as it ended in victory, it scarcely mattered.

The Crawford Presidency

The election of 1816 would see two main contenders emerge for the Republican nomination: James Monroe, Madison’s able Secretary of State and fellow Virginian, and William Crawford, the equally talented Secretary of War and a Georgian. Many Republicans in the North would support Crawford, hoping to end the “Virginia Dynasty.” Crawford himself was reluctant to seek the nomination, but as it appeared more and more likely he could win, he eventually decided to announce his candidacy. Monroe lost several supporters because of his old affiliation with the Tertium Quids, and Crawford would become the Republican nominee. The crumbling Federalist Party was unable to combat the Republicans, and William Crawford would be inaugurated as the fifth president in 1817.

Crawford’s presidency would see the Panic of 1819, which he would attempt to mollify by accepting loans from the Second Bank of the United States. To balance the free and slave states, the Missouri Compromise would be created, admitting Missouri as a slave and Maine a free state. The Compromise would also establish the famous 36°30 line, making slavery illegal north of the line. He would issue the Tariff of 1821 to protect American interests; the tariff would anger several Southern politicians.

The president would suffer a stroke in 1823, causing a brief national crisis. It subsided quickly as Daniel D. Tompkins became Acting President. To prevent any similar crises, Congress would pass the Thirteenth Amendment to establish the presidential succession. Tompkins would pass the controversial Tariff of 1824, expanding on the earlier tariff and igniting Southern anger even more. Tompkins was considered a scheming Northerner passing laws hurting the South while the Southern president was a semi-invalid. In fact, Crawford had expressed his intention to approve a new tariff for almost a month prior to his stroke, Tompkins merely inherited it.

In May 1824, Crawford would send a statement to Congress to announce his recovery and intention to resume his presidency. The return of Crawford was celebrated across the South, but their hopes turned sour as Crawford refused to modify the “Tariff of Abominations,” as it was now being called. The issue of the tariff would be the main cause of the rift that occurred in the Democratic-Republican Party. Crawford and John Quincy Adams would be the leaders of the “Republican” faction, while John C. Calhoun and Andrew Jackson headed up the “Democratic” faction. The split was by no means official, but it was obvious it was there when there were two candidates for president in 1824, both nominally belonging to the same party.

The Age of Jackson

Jackson and his running mate, Richard Mentor Johnson of Kentucky, rode a wave of popular support to the presidency in the election of 1824, defeating Adams. Southern hopes of seeing the tariff obstructed were once again disappointed as Old Hickory failed to make decisive action against it. The divide between Jackson and many Southern Democrats became apparent when Calhoun resigned as Secretary of State at the end of Jackson's first term. Jackson won reelection in 1828 along with William L. Marcy of New York.

The Tariff of 1828 was intended to satisfy both Northern and Southern interests, but South Carolina remained unsatisfied. Calhoun had been calling for the nullification of the loathed tariffs, and now he changed to openly agitating South Carolinian secession. In 1829, the state legislature nullified them. President Jackson denounced South Carolina’s actions; soon events began to spiral out of their control. South Carolina’s legislature approved a “Declaration of Secession” and declared the Provisional Government of the Republic of South Carolina.

In Washington, an outraged Jackson called for Congress to approve the Force Bill and the creation of an army to end the rebellion, which they enthusiastically did. The “Army of the South” was formed under the command of Major General Alexander Macomb, and marched for Columbia. At the same time, the U.S. Navy blockaded Charleston harbor. Before the South Carolina militia could do more than skirmish with Macomb’s army, the state legislature repealed the secession declaration and quickly asked for an end to hostilities.

Jackson had stated Calhoun and the other secessionists deserved to be hanged, many in the North heartily agreed. Despite the protests of many, Calhoun merely retired and went to his home at Fort Hill. Some said that South Carolina would require re-admission to the Union; Jackson said this was unnecessary. It was far better, he said, to not take any steps that would create lasting bitterness between South Carolina and the government. Henry Clay would create the Tariff the 1831 to placate the rival passions of all. The significance of the “Tariff Rebellion” to the concept of the Union would far outweigh the significance of its bloodshed or battles. Jackson had made it clear to all that secession would not be tolerated by the federal government.

Old Hickory had saved the Union, but it cost him much support in the South. While very few Southerners supported South Carolina’s actions, the use of force to invade a state greatly displeased many of them. In the election of 1832, Vice President Marcy won the Democratic nomination, with Alabamian senator William R. King for vice president. The National Republicans named William Henry Harrison and Hugh L. White as their candidates.

The contrasts between Harrison and White illustrate the combating influences within the National Republican party. Many Southern states’ rights advocates had joined the Republicans, having broken with the Jacksonian Democrats. It was hoped that Harrison and White would win both Northerners’ and Southerners’ support. The war hero Old Tippecanoe and serious, reliable White would manage an extremely narrow victory. Harrison would give his two-hour inaugural address on a sunny day in March 1833.

[1] John Armstrong is never appointed Secretary of War, James Wilkinson resigns due to the scandals surrounding him.

Last edited:
Wow, I really like this. What exactly were the territorial changes in this alternate Anglo-American war? Eagerly awaiting more!

Wow, I really like this. What exactly were the territorial changes in this alternate Anglo-American war? Eagerly awaiting more!
Unfortunately, the Treaty of Amsterdam is quite boring as far as territorial changes go. The British returned any U.S. land under their control, and the U.S. did the same. Pretty much status quo antebellum - yeah, sorry to disappoint.

Last edited:

Bytor

Monthly Donor
I always love to see ATLs that overlap with the time period of my own - good stuff!

What about British reaction to the War with America and it's aftermath? They did start it after all with the impressing and on encroaching on US sovereignty.

I'm ashamed for myself for getting to part 3 and never once mentioning Indicus. He's been an invaluable helping hand and sounding board, I was tempted several times to give up writing this - all the actually good ideas were his, and the awful ones were exclusively mine!

I'm ashamed for myself for getting to part 3 and never once mentioning Indicus. He's been an invaluable helping hand and sounding board, I was tempted several times to give up writing this - all the actually good ideas were his, and the awful ones were exclusively mine!

You’re too kind!