Good Winds: A British Invasion of Buenos Aires Timeline

Chapter 1: The Fall of Buenos Aires
The Spanish Empire was the largest Empire the world had ever seen. With territories in five continents, it was truly the Empire where the Sun never set. However, it was not destined to last forever. The change from the 18th to the 19th Centuries was a violent one. The French Revolution and the Coalition Wars changed Europe forever, and Spain with it.

Spain was at first an enemy of the French, opposed to the Revolutionary Ideas that Paris intended to spread over the Continent. However, with the Treaty of San Ildefonso, Spain was forced to switch sides and ally with the French Revolutionaries. This put Spain as the enemy of a very powerful country: the Kingdom of Great Britain.

The British Empire was certainly not as big or powerful as the Spanish had been. In 1776, they lost their primary colony, the Thirteen American Colonies, after tariffs were raised to help rebuild Great Britain after the Seven Years’ War (known in the colonies as the French and Indian War). The Colonies were firmly against these tariffs and rebelled, with the war of Independence lasting from 1775 to 1783. This was a major blow to the British path to Global Imperialism, but things would soon change. The Industrial Revolution started in Britain, and made its economy flourish. However, their new industrial economy needed raw materials, something the the Canadian colony or the Indian Company couldn’t contribute with in large amounts. Great Britain saw itself forced to buy materials, and the best place to buy them was the American Colonies of other European Powers. However, Spain, which was the country with the most colonies, was pretty strict with their colonial policies: No trade with any country other than Spain. This, combined with the Spanish focus on precious metals rather than animal or plant production, harmed both the interests of the colonial merchants and the British economy. Even with the wars in Europe, Spain refused to open the markets.

In 1805, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland decided to put in motion old plans to invade the Spanish Colonies in South America, after having its market severely damaged by the French Blockade of Mainland Europe, seeking to find new places to buy materials from and sell products to. The invasion was helped by the British capture of the Cape Colony from the Dutch, as the South African colony served as a “refuel stop” for the British.

The next year, the invasion took place. The British Fleet set sail from Cape Town towards Buenos Aires. Despite the time they took between arriving to South America and actually invading Buenos Aires, they were able to overrun the City rather quickly At first the resistance was fierce, but after the Viceroy fled to Montevideo and many royalist troops evacuated the city, resistance fell down.
220px-Rafael_de_Sobremonte.jpg

Viceroy Rafael de Sobremonte

But it was one thing which ended up deciding the fate of the city. The British had the order of immediately opening the market upon taking control, and soon they did. Buenos Aires was allowed, for the first time, to trade with the British and Portuguese. With the British Fleet protecting them, ships soon sailed towards Great Britain, Portugal and Brasil. Merchants soon convinced the population of the goods of the free market, and, although bitterly, they accepted British occupation. Many expected the occupation to be temporary anyway, and that when the war ended, Spain would retake Buenos Aires.

With Buenos Aires secured, the British moved on to the next problem: Montevideo. The city was now the Provisional Capital of the Viceroyalty, and where the Viceroy had fled during the invasion. The British planned an invasion to the Banda Oriental with the help of locals who knew the city and its surroundings. When the plan was executed, the local population of Montevideo already knew about the wonders of the free trade set by the British, and so resistance was smaller than in Buenos Aires. The Viceroy was captured and put in prison by the British. The Viceroyalty was now effectively in a power vacuum.

So this is it! My first attempt at starting a Timeline. Decide that I wanted to start simple and so I chose to focus on an area I know about. Expect maps every now and then.

Still, should be interesting. If the Spanish colonists in this new colony aren't givem similar rights to Québec (retention of civil law, removal of anti-Catholic laws in the colony), they will soon demand them. I wonder how heavily settled the Rio de la Plata region is at this point? Is there a lightly settled upper area that could be made equivalant to Ontario? And how is Portugal/Brazil responding to this?

Still, should be interesting. If the Spanish colonists in this new colony aren't givem similar rights to Québec (retention of civil law, removal of anti-Catholic laws in the colony), they will soon demand them. I wonder how heavily settled the Rio de la Plata region is at this point? Is there a lightly settled upper area that could be made equivalant to Ontario? And how is Portugal/Brazil responding to this?

According to Populstat (a somewhat dated but invaluable resource for this sort of thing) Argentina's population is about half a million at this point and Buenos Aires about 50K and Uruguay/Montevideo are in the 130K/6K range.

How does that compare to New France when the British took it?

Populstat's figures only go back to 1834 for Canada, when the population for Quebec is just over half a million. Seventy years previously the population would probably have been less than half that given the usual growth rates, so a bit under half the size of Argentina.

Populstat's figures only go back to 1834 for Canada, when the population for Quebec is just over half a million. Seventy years previously the population would probably have been less than half that given the usual growth rates, so a bit under half the size of Argentina.
So, probably not much chance of an Ontario equivalent in British Argentina (if it takes that name), and significantly greater reason to appease the criolos at the least. Patagonia, however, would depend on Whitehall's priorities. How much do they care about this new, southerly colony. How much do they trust the Spanish colonists, and do they want to balance them with a large Anglophone colony nearby. Interestingly, this might take some pressure off Australia in the 1840s, where the governor of New South Wales was under great pressure to sell Crown Land to pay for the migration of Britain's surplus populace, creating a conflict with the squatters who controlled the Legislative Assembly.

Chapter 2: The Collapse of the Viceroyalty
As soon as the news of the fall of both Buenos Aires and Montevideo reached different parts of the Viceroyalty, different reactions started to take place:

The Córdoba Government

Córdoba was one of the most important cities in the Viceroyalty, as it was in the center, in the midway from Buenos Aires to the Upper Peru. At first, the news of the fall of Buenos Aires caused confusion and uncertainty, until the Spanish Peninsulares that run the Cabildo of Córdoba proclaimed themselves as the legitimate successor to the Viceroy until order was restored to Buenos Aires. This period is known as the “Córdoba Government”.
The first action of the Córdoba Government was to spread the news of the “new Legitimate Government” to all the Viceroyalty. But they also took what they deemed a very important decision: They started to recruit militias to defend the Viceroyalty. These militias, however, were poorly armed and not very numerous, and many doubted they could even defend the city, let alone the Viceroyalty.

The Asunción Government

When news reached Paraguay, the uncertainty was ten times greater than in Córdoba. Unlike Córdoba, Asunción was not as integrated into the rest of the Viceroyalty. In fact, the population of Asunción was bitter that Buenos Aires was chosen as the capital of the Viceroyalty instead of Asunción, one of the oldest cities in the region. Because of this, the Anti-Viceroyalty leaders took control and declared the start of the “Asunción Government”, with the ultimate goal of “restoring Asunción’s vital position in the Region, with or without Spain”.

The fall of Santa Fe

One of the instructions the British had to disrupt the Spanish communications in the Viceroyalty was to take the Paraná River all the way to Santa Fe, effectively cutting the dependency in two. After having secured their hold of Buenos Aires and Montevideo, they sailed up the Paraná, one year after the original invasion of Buenos Aires. In mid-1807, the small settlement of Santa Fe fell to the British, cutting any sort of communications between the Asunción Government and the Córdoba Government.
The fall of Santa Fe was the deciding factor for Asunción to go “without Spain”. They sent an envoy to the British garrison in Santa Fe asking for cooperation between the governments. The British gladly accepted, and a commision was sent to determine the border between Britain and Asunción, as well to sign an agreement, later known as the “Anglo-Paraguaian Agreement of 1807”, which marked the common, free trade as one of the key elements of Anglo-Paraguaian relations.
Meanwhile, the control of the Córdoba Government faded away. The Upper Peru, which was part of the Viceroyalty of the Río de La Plata, was seized by the Viceroyalty of Peru upon news of the fall of Buenos Aires. This meant that Peru did not recognize Córdoba as a legitimate government, and many feared the loss of autonomy of La Plata to Peru.

The Situation in Venezuela

Francisco de Miranda was a Venezuelan born Independentist who advocated for what he called a “Great Colombia”, a union of independent Spanish colonies. He had already tried to get the independence of Venezuela, but failed due to the lack of support and resources. The British, however, were more than glad of helping him, because an independent Venezuela would severely harm the Spanish control in South America.
Miranda was a follower of the ideas of the French Revolution, however he had no problem in collaborating with the enemies of the Revolution if it meant freedom for Spanish America. In his successive trips to the British Caribbean and the British Mainland, he coordinated efforts with the English, and then set sail once again to Venezuela in 1807, this time to finally liberate it. With support from British-held Guiana, he slowly captured more and more territory from the Captaincy General of Venezuela, part of the Viceroyalty of New Granada. This alarmed Peru, forcing them to divert their attention from the south. However, the deciding blow to Spanish South America was dealt with the British capture of Panama, the most important node between the mainland and Peru (and by extension, Chile). Everything was set for the Invasion of Chile.

1808.png

The Situation in the Viceroyalty at the start of 1808. In yellow, the lands loyal to the old Government. in dark brown, the lands controlled by the Córdoba Government. In blue the lands controlled by the Asunción Government. In light brown, the territory controlled by Peru, including the Upper Peru. In pink, the extent of British control. The map also shows the boundary set by the Anglo-Paraguaian Agreement.

Interesting. From my timeline Created Equal about Jefferson winning in 1796, I remember that Wellington was on his way to Venezuela with troops but ordered back when the British were needed to protect Spain once Napoleon invaded. I wonder if here he is sent sooner and thus can't get to Spain as fast.

With the British having this much success they might and impressment sooner. They actually did that in our timeline but only a few days difference between when America declared war in the War of 1812. If they even do it a month sooner word gets to the US and time and America may not declare war.

I almost had to describe it as simply the seizing of American Sailors because my brain was drawing a blank on the word impressment. Then I typed that I would think of it as soon as I pressed reply, and that of course brought the word to my mind.

I'm guessing that it'll end up being that the Rio De La Plata is mainly Spanish, while the further south you go, the more British it gets.

OTL Buenos Aires fell quickly as the attack was unexpected. Much of the unexpected part was because it was a rogue operation. The reason it failed was that Britain wasn't expecting to launch the invasion, and didn't plan for a follow up. Thus the conquering force was left exposed when it became obvious no backup support was on the way.

In a coordinated attack, with follow up support, that part is resolved.

In Brazil, 1809, when the markets were suddenly opened to British wares, the markets were flooded with stuff that was inappropriate for the region, displacing local vendors, generally causing chaos, and a lot of bad blood ensued on both sides. Somehow, I doubt an open market is going to be a magical 'hey everybody, let's throw down our arms and join the British Empire' movement. But, it could happen, I guess.