Yes, I already know there was a thread about this, but it's dead, so I figured it would be best to make a new one.

Here's an idea: what if the Second Circuit had ruled that Wonder Man didn't infringe on Superman?

Maxwell Gaines buys out Jack Liebowitz.
Siegel and Schuster wins their case against National.
Fawcett win their case against National.

More when I think of them.

What if Bill Finger hadn't been involved in Batman's creation?
For one this:
bob_kane_s_original_batman_by_phil_cho_d324ffi-pre.jpg

Martin Goodman dies on the Hindenburg.

Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson prints and distributes New Fun, New Comics and Detective Comics through Martin Goodman and Louis Silberkleit's Mutual Magazine Distributors and Newsstand Publishers.

Batman kept using a gun?
No Seduction of the Innocent at all?
Jack Kirby does not survive the War?
Eisenhower comes out as a comic book fan esp Superhero and western books?
Wonder Woman has pants from the off?
Canada’s wartime comic book companies survive the War?
More educational books use comic characters to explain concepts to readers, beginning a tradition that expands to using the comic format to explore things like the tax code or govt structure?
One of the main characters has a black sidekick that becomes popular and is not a stereotype?
A British ‘Captain America’ becomes popular across the Empire/Commonwealth and the title survives the War?
The Shadow, Doc Savage, Black Mask etc make the transition from to comics and remain popular with the public?

How about if comics publishers answer criticism by converting their crime & horror titles to magazine format (akin Heavy Metal)?

What were the chances of the early 64pp anthology books being replaced by 32pp books (like the '70s ones, with 16pp story, 2pp LC, & 14-15pp ads) in the '40s?

Ooh, an interesting one. Maybe Garth Ennis wouldn't have such a chip on his shoulder about superhero comics. 😆
TYVM. :)
Well, how could we make them less niche?
Whew, excellent question. You'd need stories (or writers) able to tie them into the broader Marvel Universe, & writers on other books willing to cross over into a "ghetto" book (of sorts).

I've wondered if the whole mutants idea doesn't make X-Men a kind of self-imposed "subuniverse" by default, which may not be amenable to broader inclusion. Unless you can sell Marvel's writing staff more generally on something like the Registration Act concept, or *Civil War as more than a miniseries or sales gimmick. (You'd also need to do it before the book goes into reprints, & probably before its sales go off a cliff, or it's going to look like exactly that: a sales gimmick.)

IDK how you'd arrange it, but I liked the Avengers storyline that sent them back to the *Old West, allowing tie-ins with Marvel's Western books. Maybe that could work? (I'm not sure that helps sales, seeing Westerns were on their way out, too...which might be the only reason for the tie-in to begin with.;) )

One of the main characters has a black sidekick that becomes popular and is not a stereotype?
Not going to happen at DC.
The editors at DC refused to allow Fero Lad in the Legion of Superhero to be a black man during his death by the Suneater in the 60's.

What company that did Superheroes , would risk doing a non stereotype black sidekick?
Would southern states allow the comic to be sold?