Golden: A Pop Culture Timeline

OP
  • Welcome all to Golden! A passion project of mine in the works for a couple of months, due to my love for the pop culture timelines on this site and popular culture in general. So I wanted to give a try at making a timeline of my own, in the style of a more optimistically* pathed one. Along with this, this timeline will try to cover every aspect of culture that I can, and with what goes on in the real world.
    *(although bad stuff still happens and I will try to keep it realistic as possible)

Here are 4 things I wish to get out of the way before we begin.

1. I wish to try to create my own thing with this TL, so If there is anything in here that relates to another's work, then that is accidental, as I want to be original with my ideas and try to avoid cliches, but if there are parts that are based on stuff that has been inspired by another work/idea, then I will rightfully credit that person for it.
    2. I don't condone any bad or tragic events that happen ITTL, they are simply for story-only purposes.
    3. If there are any criticisms, ideas, or anything else you wish to talk about related to this timeline, then please, go ahead!
    4. And finally, I would like to give a very special shoutout towards these people for either indirectly or directly inspired me to take up writing this timeline.
    King_Arthur

historybuff

President_Lincoln

OldNavy1988

RySenkari

Nivek

Andrew T

markedward

TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory

and Toxic34

And with all of that said and done, shall we begin?

GOLDEN
    A Pop Culture Timeline

Prologue
  • Prologue: The Life, Carrer, and Tragedy of Phil Hartman (1948-1998)

MV5BNTEyNjYxNTY3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTM1MDE0._V1_UY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

---
    May 27th, 1998
    Hartman Residence
    Encino, Los Angeles, USA

“Phil! I'm sorry! Just please listen to me for a sec-!”

“No Brynn, We can't keep on doing this.” Phil Hartman said to his wife in a stern tone, eyeing her with concern in his eyes as they stood in the hallway which held the stairs to the upstairs.

“Those drugs are going to ruin your life! You need to get off of them! I don’t want the kids to see you like this, I don’t want you like see this. I want to help you!” his expression soon replaced by that of frustration.

“Tomorrow, I’m calling the rehab center again to sort you out, and If you refuse...I don’t know what we’re going to do.”

“But-!”

“And no buts! It's that, or it's over.”

Hartman proceeded to march up the stairs, enter his bedroom, and slam the door shut in frustration, he had just had another argument with his wife after he had found out that she was doing cocaine again, he confronted her when she returned home after a night out with a friend, in which he warned her that if she did fell back into her drug addiction, he would leave her, and likely take the kids. Despite what he said though, as harsh at is was, Phil still loved Brynn, he just wanted her to get away from the stuff that was obviously going to ruin her life.

He meet Brynn when she was a model on a blind date in 86', and the two got married soon afterward, and had Sean and Birgen, their two kids. She had been known to have an alcohol and drugs addiction in the past and tried to stop it a few years ago, but all of that came crashing down in 97' when some sick fuck gave her cocaine as a Christmas present, and soon enough she relapsed back into addiction. He was going to try to call one of the rehab centers again, to see if they could try to help his wife get back onto her feet again, if they couldn't, well, he simply didn't know what to do at that point.

With a depressed sigh, he climbed into bed and drifted off to sleep.

Phil Edward Hartmann was born on September 24, 1948, in Ontario, Canada. He was the fourth of eight children of Doris Marguerite (Wardell) and Rupert Loebig Hartmann, a salesman specializing in building materials. His parents were Catholic and raised their children in that faith. As a child Hartman found affection hard to earn and stated: "I suppose I didn't get what I wanted out of my family life, so I started seeking love and attention elsewhere."

Hartman was ten years old when his parents decided to pack up and move the family to the United States. There, Hartman attended Westchester High School and frequently acted like the class clown. After graduating, Hartman studied art at Santa Monica City College, dropping out in 1969. In the late 1970s, Hartman made his first television appearance on an episode of The Dating Game; he won but unfortunately was stood up by the girl.

Working alone as a graphic artist, Hartman frequently amused himself with "flights of voice fantasies". Citing the need for a more social outlet for his talents, Hartman, aged 27, began in 1975 to attend evening comedy classes run by the California-based improvisational comedy group The Groundlings. While watching one of the troupe's performances, Hartman impulsively decided to climb on stage and join the cast. His first movie appearance was in the 1978 film Stunt Rock directed by Brian Trenchard Smith. After several years of training, paying his way by re-designing the group's logo and merchandise, Hartman formally joined the cast of The Groundlings; by 1979 he had become one of the show's stars.

PaulReubens_PhilHartman_peewee_1980s.jpg

Hartman met fellow comedian Paul Reubens and the two became friends, often collaborating on writing and comedic material. Together they created the character Pee-wee Herman and developed The Pee-wee Herman Show, a stage performance which also aired on HBO in 1981. Hartman played Captain Carl on The Pee-wee Herman Show and returned in the role for the children's show Pee-wee's Playhouse. Reubens and Hartman made cameos in the 1980 film Cheech & Chong's Next Movie. Although he had considered quitting acting at the age of 36 due to limited opportunities, the success of Pee-wee's Big Adventure brought new possibilities and changed his mind. After a creative falling-out with Reubens, Hartman left the Pee-Wee Herman project to pursue other roles.

51Ih63BFBzL.jpg
    49af125525573af165d5e888c8d78c12.jpg

In 1986, Hartman successfully auditioned for NBC's variety show Saturday Night Live (SNL) and joined the cast and writing staff. In his eight seasons with the show Hartman became known for his impressions, and performed as over 70 different characters. Hartman's original Saturday Night Live characters included Eugene, the Anal Retentive Chef and Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. His impressions included Singer Frank Sinatra, Former POTUS Ronald Reagan, Who Do You Trust? Host Ed McMahon, Former First Lady Barbara Bush, Actor Charlton Heston, Television Host Phil Donahue and Current POTUS Bill Clinton; the last was often considered his best-known impression on the show. He later left the programme in 1994, after 8 years of service.

In the 90s Hartman joined The Simpsons, one of the most popular animated television shows at the time, portraying many lovable characters such as the corrupt lawyer Lionel Hutz, prolific actor Troy McClure, intimidating Fat Tony, and conning Lyle Lanny. Along with this, he signed up for the new live action show Newsradio, in which he potrayed the bombastic Bill McNeal. Each of his portrayals gained praise from fans who enjoyed his wacky, funny personality and quips. He would go on to win several awards for his comedic talent and skill on both shows.

266a8dcf-cast-of-newsradio-then.jpg

brynn-hartman-family.jpg

Stephen Root, Hartman's NewsRadio co-star, felt that few people knew "the real Phil Hartman" as he was "one of those people who never seemed to come out of character," but he nevertheless gave the impression of a family man who cared deeply for his children, an image that would soon change in his later life. In his spare time, Hartman enjoyed driving, flying, sailing, marksmanship, and playing the guitar.

Hartman married his first wife, Gretchen Lewis, in 1970, but divorced sometime before 1972. He then married real estate agent Lisa Strain in 1982, but their marriage lasted three years. Strain told People that Hartman was reclusive off screen and "would disappear emotionally ... he'd be in his own world. That passivity made you crazy."

And then, there was Hartman's third wife.

Vicki Jo Omdahl was born in Thief River Falls, Minnesota. On May 20, 1977, she married Douglas Iver Torfin, but they later divorced. Later, she met Hartman while working as a Catalina swimsuit model. At the time, Phil's career was near its highest point. On November 25, 1987, she married Phil. They had two children: Sean Edward Hartman (born 1987) and Birgen Hartman (born 1992).

The marriage had difficulties, Brynn reportedly felt intimidated by her husband's success and was frustrated she could not find any on her own – although neither party wanted a divorce, Hartman considered retiring to save the marriage. He tried to get Brynn acting roles but she became progressively more reliant on narcotics and alcohol, entering rehab several times. Because of his close friendship with SNL associate Jan Hooks, Brynn joked on occasion that Hooks and Hartman were married "on some other level".

But in the middle of the Height of Hartman's career, things would come to a halt, as on May 28th, 1998, an event would happen that would not only forever affect Hartman, but also the rest of the entertainment world.

Hartman suddenly found himself awoken from his slumber when he heard the sound of something smashing to the ground, along with the muffled cussing of his wife, coming from the hallway. He slowly sat up from his bed, looking to his left he saw that it was still 2 AM according to the alarm clock, much to his annoyance, he got up and went to investigate what was going on.

"If Brynn has...started again...I swear." Phil thought, as he approached and opened the door.

What happened next caused everything to change.

Brynn stood at the doorway, a look of drunken rage on her face, with some white powder on her nose. Hartman, now furious, was about to yell at her when he stopped mid-shout and froze as he saw what was in her hand -- A .38 caliber handgun, her finger on the trigger, pointing right at him.

Hartman, shocked at what he was seeing, had no time to gawk or ask what he was looking at, as he tried to grab the gun out of his wife's hand, but she kept her grip as the two struggled.

“Brynn what the hell-! ARRGH!”

A surge of burning pain entered Hartman's stomach as Brynn had pulled the trigger, he frooze as he realized that he had just been shot, he then yelled again as a second bullet rang into his stomach, his fist reflexed and punched the gun upwards as a result, a third gunshot ringing out afterward.

The last sound Hartman would hear before he would stumble and fall backward and smack his head on the bedroom floor and be knocked unconscious would be the bang of a fourth gunshot and then the crash of a window shattering. His vision and hearing both going blurry, before going black altogether.

When he came to, Phil found himself staring at a bright light. Thinking he was in heaven, he opened his eyes further to see that he was actually in a hospital, lying in a bed. As he tried to sit up, he groaned and clenched his stomach area, remembering that he was shot there. He looked up to see that there was a doctor standing outside the door through the window, talking to someone, who then turned to glance inside the room, his eyes widening as his gaze met Phil's "Oh my god!".

The doctor rushed inside, accompanying him was a nurse and a police officer, all of whom had faces of grim or sadness, "Mr. Hartman, you are very lucky to have of survived, you had lost quite alot of blood in your stomach area, but we managed to stop the bleeding and get you on painkillers."

Hartman did not say anything, to confused at his situation.

"We are very glad you are okay Mister Phil, we'll get you bandaged up and you will be able to see your family," The nurse said, trying to be supportive.

The police officer cleared his throat and then asked; "Mr. Hartman, we need to know what had happened in your home before you were shot, the neighbors had called the police when they heard your window shatter, thinking it was a home invasion, before we-", Phil interrupted the officer with a question.

"Wh-...What about Vicki? Is...is she alright?"

The policeman's frown got only sadder, as his uncertain eyes met with the famous comedian's, he felt a lump rise in his throat as he hesitated to bring the bad news to the man who made him and his family smile when they would watch Television, but he couldn't just ignore the man's question. With a few more seconds of hesitation, Officer Jonathan Parker told Hartman what had happened.

"Sir, we discovered your wife Vicki sprawled out on the bedroom floor, she had been shot by her own gun, where the bullet entered her skull and through her brain...she was pronounced dead on sight."

It was at that moment when Hartman suddenly fainted, his heart nearly having an attack from shock, panic, and guilt. Doctors tried their best to wake him back up, but Hartman was once again unconscious...

SJpG_Rs7Urk5A14a0hojmml9dF2gadbhbUcsjdNq6AoNalwNeV3H4jHBiJmUbQwVe7i4qZZYhLs0Rk0fJOyBjkqvZYR7EiI6m2TTkRyHtUlrJvvA9rMsXbFL_RfPpPfdGZzTtEB7

Rest in Peace
    Brynn Hartman
    April 11, 1958 – May 28, 1998

Last edited:
    Hartman in Hospital
  • May 28th, 1998
    Los Angeles, California

Paul Reubens was in his car when nearly choked on his drink as he was talking on the phone to his one of his friends, "Hartman was shot!?".

Jon Lovitz, who was still dealing with the news himself, said "Yeah, me and Stephen just saw it on CNN, Brynn is dead!"

paul-reubens_sc_200x267.png
    jonlovitz.png

"Holy shit!" Reubens cursed to himself, he had known Hartman's wife Brynn, a mostly nice woman from what he knew "Is Hartman Okay!?".

"I don't know, they say he is in an emergency condition, but I think he's going to live. But, the Police are saying it was Brynn who shot him, they found the gun with her fingerprints-"

"Woah! Woah!" Reubens said, trying to calm Lovitz down, he had just heard that his long-time friend's wife had just tried to kill him, things needed to slow down "Brynn shot Phil?".

"Well, her fingerprints were found on the gun, they said that she was also both drunk and on cocaine, I heard she had a problem with those things, but god damn I didn't expect it to get this bad."

Reubens sighed and rubbed his hand against his forehead, he knew many who were into drugs and alcohol, but combining those things with what he assumed were domestic problems would spell disaster, not that it took a genius to figure that out. This was all chaotic to him. "Are his kids okay atleast?".

"Yes, they were found hiding in their bedrooms by the police, they're currently staying at their aunt and uncle's home."

Reubens then asked "Should I come and visit him?".

Lovitz, knowing how Reubens reputation and hsi retreat from teh public, felt that it could be a bad idea for him to appear again, but then he realized that Hartman was Reuben's friend, he wasn't going to say no to him "I'd suggest you visit him when he's better. But in the meantime, come down and stay."

"Sure thing."

As Reubens hung up and drove his car to Lovitz's place, he kept reminding himself in his mind not to never ever go anywhere near drugs, again.

---
    May 29th, 1998
    Breaking News!

Los Angeles Times
    PHIL HARTMAN NEARLY MURDERED IN LOS ANGELES HOME

death-of-a-dream-resized-AP98052801032-copy.jpg

Famous and Beloved comedian and television actor, Phil Hartman, known for his roles in the Simpsons, Newsradio, and Saturday Night Live, was reportedly shot in his home in Encino, Los Angeles yesterday morning in what police are suspecting was an attempted murder-suicide by his wife Brynn Hartman, who was found dead on the bedroom floor, alongside the unconscious Hartman, who had a gunshot wound in his abdomen. A recent resurgence of Brynn's drug and alcohol addiction is being investigated as the cause of the sudden violent incident. Hartman is currently being treated in Northridge Hospital Medical Center, with doctors saying that he is currently in a 'moderate condition', and has been informed on what has had happened to him. It is assumed that he will make a full recovery, but it is unknown how the actor and his family and friends will deal with the aftermath of this tragedy.

---​

June 1st, 1998
    Northridge Hospital Medical Center
    Northridge, Los Angeles, USA

Northridge-Hospital.jpg

Phil's brother John, looked on at his brother with sorrow in his eyes "Phil, it was not your fault."

Phil, sitting in a wheelchair in his hospital room, would beg to differ "I put too much pressure on her John, I threatened to take the kids away for christ sake!".

He had just lost his wife to a freak attempt on his life gone wrong, his kids were staying somewhere else unsure what happened that night and where their parents were, and to make things worse, the paparazzi was drooling outside like dogs. Being a major television star with two of the biggest shows on television right now under his belt, he heard from the doctors and nurses that everybody was talking about him, how rumors were going around how he might have abused her and she was simply defending herself, or that Phil accidentally shot her mistaking her for a home intruder or some other crap. It was all too surreal.

"She didn't deserve to die Phil, I know, but you couldn't control it. You tried to help her but she didn't listen" John said, trying his best to be both respectful but also truthful. He didn't want to villainize the woman who tried to kill his brother, knowing she was suffering from mental and addiction problems, but at the same time, she was the woman who tried to kill his brother.

A tear left Phil's eye as he began again "I-...I just don't know how I'm going to move on from this, how am I and the kids going to move on from this, what am I going to tell them?", he held back a sob, but he knew that he had to stay strong.

"You're going to make it Phil, you've managed to get through tough times before. It's...going to be hard for you and the kids moving on without Brynn, but I think that if she could see you now, she would want you to recover and march on from the horrible act she did to you."

Phil sighed, he appreciated his brother's encouragement dearly, along with the rest of his family's words when they visited him yesterday before having to leave to give him a rest, in which they would be staying in LA until he got better, with John the first one to arrive this morning. But every time he mentioned Brynn's actions that night, the pain in Phil's heart grew that little bit larger.

"You know, even if I get better, I'm still not sure if I should continue to do my acting career, I don't feel like I can pull a joke or put on an act anymore."

"Phil. Despite's whats happened, this dissuasion is only temporary, I promise you that sooner or later you will be flying high back into acting again! And besides, would you let all of your fans down? Wouldn't you also want them to be happy?"

Phil knew his brother was right, he was going to get better, both physically and mentally, he just needed a break, and the strength to pull himself together and continue forward with his life and career.

A knock came suddenly from the door, as a nurse came in "Mr. Hartman? We have your family here to see you now."

Phil, now having the courage to smile, simply replied: "Send them in, I'm in a really good mood to chat right now."

Reactions to the Hartman Incident
  • Phil Hartman's near-murder sent a shockwave across Hollywood, the Hartmans' marriage seemed normal to almost everyone who had met them and Mr. Hartman was beloved in nearly everything he starred in. Quite expectly, reactions to the inncident were soon heard.

220px-Josh_Weinstein.jpg

"Hartman is one of my best friends, and his style has brought a great comedic taste to the Simpsons that I think not many other voice actors can bring. This event has done nothing by stun me." - Josh Weinstein, Simpsons writer

jon-lovitz-23018-1-402.jpg

"I cannot express what I felt for Hartman at the time I found out. He never deserved this." - SNL and close friend of Hartman, Jon Lovitz

nancy-cartwright-during-1999-nbc-all-star-cocktail-party-for-fall-tca-picture-id111225016

"The death of a loved one in such a manner is something that nobody should have to go through, especially a man like Hartman." - Nancy Cartwright, voice of Bart Simpson

hqdefault.jpg

"Not only is this a sick and twisted act caused by alcoholism and drugs, but it is in general just a tragedy that could of easily been avoided, My strongest sympathies go out to Hartman and his kids, and I hope for their full recovery from this horrible tragedy." - Matt Groening, Simpsons creator

web_crew_PaulSimms_atlanta_robbin-season_570x698.jpg

"Hartman is probably one of the best comedians, if not actors we have in Hollywood right now. Seeing one of my fellow crew members going through a tragedy like this is heartbreaking to me and the fellow cast members of Newsradio." - Paul Simms, Newsradio Creator

MV5BNTliNmVlMjItNWFmMS00NDA1LTkwZmYtNmNkMmE3YjFmZTA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

“I can only imagine the horror of growing up as a kid suddenly without your mother, then to only find out that the reason why your mother is dead is because she tried to kill your father.” - Joe Dante, Small Soldiers Director

_8vZwZuYBgS5gWh-yjQZmQ1tHHZKtAPYAYiIj_97a95E890ME-T9BJuQ6Lz0lINJ27jxrtLV6mrgsrP008hqU9Pt0uNOWCtx5OhLEFGOWbNzfAm1blzl3HmLwS-SEkQ50GXw_Rkj

"I, and the rest of the crew of Kiki, send our hopes and condolences towards Mr. Hartman and his family." - Hayao Miyazaki, Kiki's Delivery Service Director, to whom Phil took part in the English Dub of

51lngkLe2bL.jpg

"Hartman has been one of the few friends in the industry during my life that I think I can truly say has always been there for me, not only is he funny, but he's also empathetic, caring, and smart. My friend doesn't deserve any of what's happened to him recently, and it truly pains me to think what he and his family are going through right now." - Comedian, Actor and longtime friend of Hartman Paul Reubens

---​
    Johnboy said:
    Have you guys heard what happened about Phil Hartman?

Mark said:

Skinnerlover69 said:
    Yep, And All I Can Say Is, Holy Shit.

happygirlspringfield said:
    just heard about it here in the uk, what the fuck happened?

Johnboy said:
    Brynn, Phil's wife, had an addiction to durgs and beer, she then lost it and tried to kill him in their home. She misfired and accidently shot herself in the eye.

Skinnerlover69 said:
    God Damn, I Feel So Sorry For Both Of Them, They Really Seemed Happy Together, Can't Imagine What Their Kids Are Going Through.

Mark said:

happysimpsongirl said:
    why are you sorry for her? she tried to kill her own husband!

James1992 said:
    Yeah, I hope she burns for what she did.

alvindude said:
    >:-(
    Brynn = Yoko

Skinnerlover69 said:
    I Think This Thread Is About To Turn Into A Flame War.

Johnboy said:
    Woah, woah, guys, calm down.

Epstien204 said:
    Im glad that woman is dead! Nobody evar deserved her!

SuperIntendent said:
    @ epstien204 You have been already told off for behavior like this, do it again and its another kick.

- A discussion thread named "Phil Hartman Inccident" on an online Simpsons board, as it was on May 31st, 1998

Hartman's Grand Return
  • July 1st, 1998
    Fox Broadcasting Company Headquarters
    Los Angeles, California, United States

Phil Hartman, Matt Groening, and Paul Simms got out of the limo as they walked up the front doors of the Fox Headquarters, Groening and Simms were generous enough to drive Hartman from his home up to the HQ in order to reveal to him a 'surprise', along the way, they chatted and talked about what had happened, to which Hartman was more accepting to talk about, although that didn't stop him from feeling sad everytime Brynn's name was mentioned.

Groening was talking about how he was going to see if they could get the McClure movie up off the ground, while Simms quite delightfully brainstormed episode ideas with Hartman, with some of the crazier ideas involving absurd settings like they did with the third and fourth season finales, with those ideas including the Wild West or World War 2, although both might not have fit well, considering both settings would feature a notable amount of firearms, and the last thing that Simms would want to do was to active any PTSD that Hartman might have.

Having the whole month of June off might seem a little long to some people, but Hartman really needed the break, as the shock of his wife's death needed him to take up the duties of recovering in the hospital, explaining to his scared and confused kids that their mother was gone, and moving to a new home, as the mere sight of it would only remind him of that short but tragic night, they would probably move somewhere like the Pacific Palisades. He would need to think about it later.

When they were going up in the elevator, Hartman asked: "Come on fellas, what's the surprise?"

Groening responded, "It's a surprise, we can't tell you."

Hartman then said "Come on? Not even a little hint?"

Simms shot, "Hints give away the surprise!"

As the elevator doors opened and the three walked out and down the hall towards the writer's room, Hartman continued to enquire "Does it involve cake?".

Simms chuckled and said "Your right on that one, but no more after that."

They were right at the door when Simms and Groening stopped and counted to three and opened the door. As Hartman quickly put together what was going to happen(how could he not?), he was welcomed by the celebrating shouts of "Welcome Back!" from the casts of the Simpsons, Newsradio, and Saturday Night Live all at the same time.

Hartman was stunned, he did not expect so many people to turn up at this 'return party', he smiled and went up to greet everybody he could as fast as he could, shaking hands with Weinstein, Cartwright, Foley, Root, Dick, Lewis, Lovitz, and so many others. They proceeded to party and chat, being careful not to make Hartman uncomfortable on his first day back.

But, Lovitz felt something was...off, about Dick, he seemed a little anxious, he had bad feelings for Dick almost since he met him, there was something off about him. But before he could go up to him and ask why he seemed, atleast to him, nervous. Phil came up to him "Lovitz! How are you doing pal?".

"Oh, I'm doing great Hartman, How about you?"

"Things are going well! Me and Groening were talking about the movie, you know?"

"Oh! The Troy McClure movie?" Hartman nodded, "That's a great idea! I'm glad you're going ahead and developing it!"

"Aha, yeah. We were thinking it might take place as a longer version of 'A Fish Called Selma', or maybe it's own thing with an independent storyline" Hartman gleefully explained. As he did so, Lovitz mind's slowly moved away from Dick's strange demeanor and onto the current subject.

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, who do you plan on having in it?"

"Well...um, let's see...Well, first off, there is Me" A remark that made both men chuckle, "and then, well, I was thinking of maybe getting a more serious actor, and maybe test their ability to act in a more comedic situation, if you know where I'm coming from."

"I think I know what you're going for, but who exactly do you plan on getting on board?"

"I don't know, we're still in the pre-production process and even-"

Suddenly the door opened and to Hartman's surprise, an old friend walked in with his famous suit and bowtie on "Sorry if I was late, I heard that there was a party going on for my friend! I didn't want to miss out!".

Most of the guests, surprised by Reubens arrival, despite recent controversy, were welcoming to him, giving a few cheers. Hartman, stunned at the sudden appearance of his long-time friend, could only walk up to him, the troubles of the past being pushed to the back of his mind "Paul, It's good to see you my friend" the two hugging afterward.

"It's been ages since I've seen you!"

"I know, I'm glad that you came! How are you doing?"

"Things could be better, but so far, everything's fine!" He chuckled at the end, causing Hartman and some others to also emit similar chuckles.

And so, the party continued, with people either talking, sharing ideas, or eating the snacks or drinking the drinks layed out onto the tables, although there was no alcohol, not that was a big surprise. Eventually, after a few hours of partying, most had left, needing to return to work or get back home.

While the remaining guests were gathered at the tables, Hartman and Reubens were at the other corner of the room away from everyone else. Reubens was smoking a cigarette while Hartman had finished eating a sandwich.

"Thanks for coming over, I know we have had troubles in the past, but regardless, I'm glad you're here."

"No problem, It's good to know your okay."

Hartman nodded, he really wanted to say that he was, but over a month later, there was still a way to go. There were still a million thoughts racing around his mind, mostly on what he was going to do with his career in the future, he was thinking of 'shaking things up', moving away from his more comedic and humorous roles that he was known for and into the other side of acting.

"You know," Phil began, breaking the silence, "When I have the chance, I'm thinking of maybe entering more serious acting, like drama."

"Really?"

Phil nodded.

"What would you want to act in?"

"I'm not sure, maybe I would be good as a criminal? or maybe a big, bad mob boss!"

Reubens chuckled as the image of Hartman looking like the KingPin in a movie role.

He joined in "And I would be your evil minion with the freaky goggles!"

Both men laughed as they thought of them acting as mobsters floated in their imaginations.

"Okay, guys. I think that will be it for today. We'll see you back at work!" Groening announced. The partygoers were soon packing and cleaning things up. Soon enough, they were all leaving, with Hartman and Reubens exiting through the front doors to the limo.

"It was nice meeting you again Reubens, I think we should stay in contact more."

"I totally agree with you Phil, See you."

Both men would then leave in their respective ways.

-----

And so, Phil Hartman was back at it, he voiced his lines for the tenth season the Simpsons, he played the lovable but egotistical Bill McNeal on NewsRadio, and even managed to make a public appearance, where he said that he and his kids were recovering, and will be back on their feet very soon. He would also begin to take the idea of the Troy McClure movies more seriously than ever, holding meetings with Groening, Weinstein, and Bill Oakley on what the film's story would be, along with potential directors and cast.

phil-hartman-2.jpg

"Hi, I'm Troy McClure, and you might remember me from such medical educational videos such as Why Am I Bald? and Dr. Nick's Christmas Special."
    - Troy McClure, as he appeared in Kidney Trouble

"Trust me Mr. Simpson, that no good television show will pull that episode before you can say D'oh!"
    - Lionel Hutz, as he tries to help Homer in Homer in the Max in his lawsuit against Police Cops, failing soon after to get anything done

"I remember when we had sun like this back home once, got a sunburn so bad you could have sworn it was black. Good Times, Good Times."
    - Bill McNeal, as he noted about the weather in the Season Five Premiere "Summer Days"

Along with this, the video game he recently starred in, the adult-humored space shooter Blasto was doing quite well from what he had seen, although many complained of the difficulty. Sony were asking if, when he had the time, that he would come back to do a sequel, to which he simply said: "I will think about it."

1998 was looking to be an interesting year for Philip Edward Hartmann.

The Rest of 1998
  • This is a list of notable events that happened in the rest of 1998. I'm not sure if much would happen during this other than the Hartman Inccident, but soon enough, the butterflies will start to flap.

July 1st: The highest grossing film of the year; Armageddon, is released in theatres worldwide.

July 21st–September 5th:
    The 1998 Sydney water crisis involved the suspected contamination by the microscopic pathogens cryptosporidium and giardia of the water supply system of Greater Metropolitan Sydney.

August 4th: The Second Congo War begins; 5.3 million people die before it ends in 2003, making it the bloodiest war, to date, since World War II.

August 7th: Yangtze River Floods: in China the Yangtze river breaks through the main bank; before this, from August 1–5, peripheral levees collapsed consecutively in Jiayu County Baizhou Bay. The death toll exceeds 12,000, with many thousands more injured.

Meanwhile, the bombings of the United States embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya, kill 223 people and injure over 4,500; they are linked to terrorist Osama bin Laden, an exile of Saudi Arabia.

September 4th: Google, Inc. is founded in Menlo Park, California, by Stanford University PhD candidates Larry Page and Sergey Brin. Google will go on to completely revolutionize the Internet.

September 5th: The Government of North Korea adopts a military dictatorship on its 50th anniversary.

September 9th: St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Mark McGwire hits his 62nd home run of the season, thus breaking the single-season record of 61 which had been held by Roger Maris since 1961.

September 12th: The Cuban Five intelligence agents are arrested in Miami, and convicted of espionage. The agents claim they were not spying against the United States Government but against the Cuban exile community in Miami.

September 24th: Iranian President Mohammad Khatami retracts a fatwa against Satanic Verses author Salman Rushdie that was in force since 1989 stating that the Iranian government will "neither support nor hinder assassination operations on Rushdie".

October 1st: Europol is established when the Europol Convention signed by all of its member states comes into force.

November 18th: The Powerpuff Girls premieres on Cartoon Network, becoming Hanna-Barbera's final TV show, distributing episodes until 2001 when Cartoon Network Studios took over until the series ended in 2005.

December 6th: Hugo Chávez, politician and former member of the Venezuelan military, is elected President of Venezuela.

December 16th–19th: Iraq disarmament crisis: U.S. President Bill Clinton orders airstrikes on Iraq. UNSCOM withdraws all weapons inspectors from Iraq. December 31 The first leap second since June 30, 1997, occurs.

Date Unknown

Ibrahim Hanna, the last native speaker of Mlahsô, dies in Qamishli, Syria, making the language effectively extinct. Also, the last native speaker of related Bijil Neo-Aramaic, Mrs. Rahel Avraham, dies in Jerusalem.

A/N: As you can see, not much has changed from OTL, although a few difference have begun to pop up...

Last edited:
    Happy New Years 1999!
  • (A/N: A short interlude before we move onto bigger things. Also, there will be a small format change.)

January 1st, 1999
    New Hartman Residence
    Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, USA

18403030_43_1551382285.jpg

Hartman had a couple family and friends over to celebrate the New Years with him and his two kids, watching the multi-colored fireworks in the distance from the backyard. Hartman was grateful and lucky to see another New Years within his lifetime, as the events of May 28th, 1998, could have easily taken all of that away for him.

"So, Phil?" His brother John asked him, breaking his trance of looking at the fireworks, "What do you plan to do this year?"

"The usual" He simply answered.

"That's it?"

Phil thought about it some more "Well, I'm unsure, the only things on my mind are the Simpsons, Newsradio, that movie, the Blue M&M commercials, and maybe getting into dramatic acting. Who knows? Maybe I'll try to think of something new to do."

"Well," John said, "I guess we'll just have to wait and see."

Feeling Better?
  • (A/N: Hope you guys are ready for this chapter, as it will be the first chapter in which we focus outside of Phil Hartman!)

February 28th, 1999

Evanston, Illinois, USA

Siskel would never think that a brain surgery could turn out so well, yet suffer from such risky complications.

It had been when the day before his second brain surgery, when he overheard one of the surgeons break the news to another that two of their surgeons could not come for whatever reasons[1]. He started to think "Oh god, I'm going to die", but the surgeons eventually managed to get in two emergency replacements, they were said to be more professional than the two surgeons that would have of operated on him previously according to one doctor. Siskel was still nervous about the whole thing, fearing the whole thing would fall apart on itself due to the sudden changes, and one little slip up could send him to the grave.

But after being put under anesthetic drifting off to sleep, he was soon waking up to the morning sun in a hospital bed. He was surprised that they managed to get through the surgery without much trouble, but here he was, sitting in his bed awaiting for a tray of hospital food, while speaking to on the phone to his friend, Ebert
    2].

"So when will you think you will return?"

"I don't know, April, perhaps?"

"Well, when you do get out of the hospital, I'm sure that both me and audience will welcome you back with open arms. We got alot of films we can chew into."

Siskel chuckled "What movies?".

"Well," Siskel could hear the faint sound of paper rustling, "There is Baby Geniuses, The Mod Squad, and Jawbreaker. All of whom I have seen, and I can say, I think you would enjoy tearing apart with me."

"Sounds good."

"Alright, see you around."

"See you too. Ebert."

Siskel's food arrived just as he was putting down the phone. He didn't like the food at the hospital, but he knew that if he wanted to be back at reviewing movies, he was going to need it.

primary_EB20070731COMMENTARY70731002AR.jpg

At The Movies! Returning April 1999!

[1] One was sick, while the other got into an accident.
    [2] If anybody is wondering, yes, Roger Ebert's thyroid cancer will be butterflied away, or atleast less severe than OTL.

Strickland and Dick: Part 1
  • March 20th, 1999
    Lovitz Residence
    Los Angeles, California, USA

Lovitz sat in his home in the late afternoon, listening to the radio while eating some sandwiches. The ringing of the doorbell, however, made him stop and head over towards his front door, he opened it and was greeted by a man dressed in a grey coat and black hat.

"Greetings Mr. Lovitz, I'm Private Detective Craig Hoffman. You called?"[1][2]

"Yes, please, come in."

The two men headed to his kitchen, where Lovitz offered the man a sandwich, to which he refused but accepted a glass of water. While Lovitz's initial suspicions of Dick may have been sidelined in 1998, that didn't stop the two from having a 'rocky' relationship. He still believed that something was up with him at the Grand Return Party, and had kept an eye on him since, he felt like he should have told Hartman something, but every time a voice inside his head would dissuade him, "Hartman is happy and is trying to move on, do you really want to suggest somebody is responsible for their personal tragedy, when it could simply be nothing?". But recently, something made him more suspicious than ever before.

He recently found out about a new friendship between Andy and a little-known actor named David Strickland, his most notable role on the show sitcom Suddenly Susan. He was interested in becoming friends with Dick, with Lovitz sometimes seeing them get in Dick's car and head towards what he presumed his house, but yesterday, Lovitz followed them in his car from a distance, and when they got to their destination, Lovitz discovered that they had been going to Strip Clubs the whole time, and he could have sworn to have seen Dick carry in a bag of who knows what into the club. Lovitz had one, knawing thought on what exactly Dick had in that bag.

strickanddick.png

And that wasn't all, he did some digging on Strickland and discovered that he had been arrested in October 1998 for the illegal possession of cocaine, and during that time, the shock over the 'Hartman Incident' as it came to be called was still dying down when Strickland's arrest brought attention towards him, it would be good publicity for his work including Suddenly Susan, but not him as a person, as all the attention and paparazzi would prove to be stressful to deal with. It also didn't help that he had Bipolar Disorder. Lovitz could only imagine what would happen if Dick perhaps encouraged Strickland's bad habits, which could result in him going down a dangerous path...

"What is it that you need me to do?" The detective asked.

Lovitz proceeded to explain his situation to the detective. How he felt like Dick was hiding something, how he drove his new friend to strip clubs, and how he saw him carrying a suspicious bag that he thought could contain drugs. He also added the fact how Strickland was arrested for owning cocaine, and that he was supposed to be doing rehab.

"And that's why I need you to do this job for me, I'm worried for that kid, and Dick has had a problem with drugs and alcohol from what I know."

"Well, Mr. Lovitz I could gather evidence that your 'acquaintance' has been using drugs. If you were to give me his address I could investigate his home for any evidence."

"Oh, yeah, here it is," Lovitz then handed the man a piece of paper, which contained Dick's address, "I just want you to find any evidence that he has been using drugs or not."

Hoffman finished his glass of water, "Well, I'll head over to his home and look for evidence for any drug or drug-related paraphernalia, if I do find anything, then I'll send it to the police and we'll see if they can do anything about, but if they don't, then I don't think there is much I can do to assist you there. But I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you."

And so, Craig Hoffman got up and left, got in his car, and headed towards Dick's residence. What he didn't know, however, would be that this particular case would become the biggest of his career.

------
    Dick Residence
    Los Angeles, California, USA

Detective Hoffman arrived at Dick's Home just in time, as he saw that the lights were on, the car was still in the driveway, and that the faint shapes of silhouettes in the windows. He got out of his car and sneaked into the garden of Dick's residence, making sure not to alert the two that he was there. As he reached the front window to what he assumed to be the living room, he overheard him talking to Strickland about going somewhere, he probably thought they were referring to the Strip Club when he swore he overheard the word 'flight'. Were they planning on going somewhere? He kept listening and found out that they were planning to go to Las Vegas. If both the drugs addiction and bipolar things were correct, and we're combining that with partying and gambling, Hoffan knew that nothing was going to turn up well tonight.

He began sneaking over to the windows to see if there was anything suspicious, doing so repeatedly, and bingo! A full bag of a white powdered substance was sitting in what he figured out to be Dick's bedroom dresser, along with that, what looked like weed across next to it. He took a few photos when he suddenly heard the door open, ducking in response. After a few seconds of waiting, he peaked up to see it was Strickland, looking away from the window and collecting his wallet and keys, looking bored or depressed(atleast to him), he sighed and muttered out before leaving;

"Maybe...maybe, I'll do it."

Hoffman didn't know what Strickland was referring to, but whatever it was, he didn't like the sound of it. After hearing the front door opening, he snuck out again and saw that Dick and Strickland were getting into the car with a few bags of luggage. He snapped a picture of the license plate before it left and drove off at the end of the street. Hoffman stayed and tried to find any more incriminating evidence of possible use of illegal substances, the only thing he found was a questionable looking thing in the kitchen that kind of resembled another bag of a probablly illegal substance. After looking around abit longer, he decided that he could not waste any more time and called Lovitz.

"Lovitz, I'm at Dick's house and managed to collect some evidence."

"Good. What did you get if you don't mind me asking?"

"No problem. I've only got photos, but I found a bag of cocaine and weed in what I think to be Dick's room. And I overheard them saying that they were catching a flight to Las Vegas, it seems that Dick is taking Strickland to a party or something."

Lovitz didn't take this news well "Seriously? He not only owns and is sharing drugs, but shouldn't he know that his friend has bipolar? Who should probably not taking drugs? God dammit Dick."

"Well, there was something I overheard Strickland saying in private, it was kinda weird. It was 'Maybe I will do it'."

Lovitz went a little quiet before saying "I don't like the sound of that, at all. I really think you should turn over your photos to the police."

"Will do. Is there anything else you would like to ask?"

"No thanks. I thank you for doing this thing for me."

"No problem, Lovitz, always happy to help my clients."

Hoffman hung up the phone, and with no more time to waste, got into his car and drove towards the nearest poice station.

[1] This is sorta based on the OTL case in which Brooke Shields hired a private detective to find her friend David Strickland.
    [2] P.S: Craig Hoffman is an Original Character, I don't know if there are any 'famous' private investigators stationed in LA, but I'll use him for now.

Strickland and Dick Part 2
  • The police, when given the photos of Andy Dick's drugs, were quick to investigate his house, in which a few bags were verified to be present inside, which was enough for him to have a warrant put on him, and with the information provided by Private Detective Hoffman, were able to send a few units over to Las Vegas to pick him and Strickland up, along with informing the local police that they were wanted, Dick for owning Cannabis and Cocaine, and Strickland for purposely missing his court date.

However, by the end of today, what seemed to be another typical case of celebrities taking dumb risks with the law, would turn into something bigger than expected...

------

016-Flamingo%20Hilton%20Casino.jpg

David Strickland sat depressed and alone at the bar of the Flamingo Casino and Hotel in Las Vegas, having drunk his worries away under the spell of liquor and beer and spending his money away at gambling since they arrived several hours ago from the airport. Dick was still somewhere in the casino, he too his spending cash away on prizes.

David Gordon Strickland Jr. had been born in Glen Cove, of Long Island on October 14th, 1969, later moving with his parents to Princeton, New Jersey and later to California, where he became an actor. He starred in small roles of television shows such as Dave's World and Sister, Sister, where he longed for a break-out role somewhere, and that somewhere was Suddenly Susan.

Suddenly Susan, while receiving mostly mixed reviews from most audiences, was quite the success, with it being at one point reaching the Rank of #3 on Television. Strickland's character, Todd Stiles, a boyish rock music news reporter, was considered one of the funniest on the show. But as the ratings slowly began to drop, he looked for other work alongside the sitcom.

Forces of Nature, he thought, would be his second major role, it starred big-name actors like Ben Affleck and Sandra Bullock, it was a romantic comedy film directed by Bronwen Hughes, he would star himself as Steve Montgomery, the brother of the female main character. He thought that this would be a good boost for him, but he would soon be proven wrong. As when the film came out, it turned out his role had been cut down considerably, which only made him feel distraught.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the film wasn't even a big success he thought it would be, it just made under $100 million and received negative to mixed reviews, with the famous Roger Ebert giving it a 1 out of 4. But his troubles didn't end there, he was arrested for being caught with cocaine in his car, which definitely didn't make things better, as just months earlier, Phil Hartman, a famous voice actor, and comedian was nearly killed by his coke-addicted wife, causing a rise of drug awareness amongst higher-ups within the public. So the constant press and paparazzi asking him about his addiction and 'current state of mind' and whatnot, would only slowly but surely push him to the deep end.

So while he might have been depressed as he sat at the bar, trying to recover from his drunken state. He did thank Andy Dick for taking him to Las Vegas, as while he might be crude and awkward in his style of humor, he was doing him a favor. As he would be spending the time at Las Vegas while he had it, as he wasn't planning on leaving this city, atleast, not alive.

He planned to die in Vegas.

------

Dick was enjoying himself a game of roulette, while his friend David was off drinking at the bar, not that he had a problem for that. He was currently trying to take some time off from work with Strickland, who he had met around two weeks ago, in which he felt sorry for him and decided to bring him along on his trip, to which he quite happily accepted. Dick knew that gambling would not really fix his problems, but sometimes, people didn't really care if what they were doing would not help, especially in a place like Vegas.

As he was halfway through the game, a hand suddenly landed on his shoulder, he turned around a felt a stone drop in his stomach as he came face to face with a group of three police officers.

"Oh, hello officer," Dick said, trying keep it cool, "Is there a problem?".

"Are you Andy Dick?" He simply inquired.

"Yes, is there something I did wrong?"

"Mister Dick, we found drugs in your house, we need to take you to the station for questioning."

Dick's face went white "What? I mean, how did you-?".

"We will explain later, your just going to have to come with us."

Dick simply could only nod, not one to really defy an officer's orders, and started to walk with them while the lead officer ordered two other officers that arrived to search for his friend Stickland, who was probably minding his own business, which would now be ruined.

"Dammit."

------

Standing up and heading back towards Dick, David was thinking of maybe spending the rest of the day at one of the local motels when he stopped and just saw Andy a few feet in the distance talking to a bunch of police officers, he hid behind a wall and watched, hearing over that he was being arrested for cocaine and cannabis possession. But when they mentioned his name and that they were looking for him, that was when he froze. He watched as the officers started to apprehend Dick and look for him. He couldn't believe what was happening, this wasn't supposed to be the way, this wasn't the way that he was supposed to go! The stress, the media, the rehab, he wasn't going back to that life. He needed to find a way to go out, to end his suffering, now.

Before the officers could start their search for him, Strickland made a dash towards the hallway leading out of the bar, he ran all the way down the hall, eventually finding an elevator, to which he entered and pressed to go up to the highest floor possible. The elevator doors closed just as he heard the sound of footsteps and the yells of "Stop!" and "He's going up!" were heard in the distance. He sighed as he knew that he would have some time to work things out.

When the elevator reached the top floor, he immediately dashed around trying to find a room in order to hide in, to which he found a large closet. Running in and locking the door behind him, he soon tried to find something to hang himself with, particularly a rope or a cable/wire, after turning up empty, he decided to try and use his belt. He managed to tie a noose and using a small step, entered and kicked.

He collapsed to the floor face first as the belt buckled under his weight, breaking his nose and causing him to knee-jerk and cuss quite loudly.

"He's in here!" A loud voice said, to which banging on the door soon commenced. "Come out David Strickland! It's the police, if you don't come out we will be forced to break down this door and come inside!".

Strickland's dread slowly grew deeper and deeper with every passing second, he was going back, he was going to be sent to jail, and his life ruined, and when it seemed he was going to go out with bliss and wonder. His depression had never been worse. He quickly looked around, trying to find an escape, that was when he saw it, the window.

"It would be easy," he thought, standing up and walking over to the window, slowly pulling it open, "I will just jump, and that would be that."

Looking over and seeing a small ledge that would be enough to just stand on, he shakily climbed out of the window, and just barely stepped out on the ledge when he heard multiple people start screaming. David Strickland then made a mistake by not closing his eyes, instead looking down.

"Fuck."

Strickland and Dick Part 3
  • A/N: Hey guys, I apologize if this chapter took a little longer than usual, as I felt like I wouldn't do a good job of writing a conversation between a suicidal person and cop. Give me some feedback after reading the Chapter, thanks. - TheDetailer

hqdefault.jpg

"This is a CBS Special Report, I'm John Roberts, and tonight we are reporting a shocking event that is taking place in Las Vegas, Nevada. Around 15 minutes ago New York Actor David Strickland, well known for his role in the sitcom Suddenly Susan, climbed out of a several story window of the Flamingo Casino in the South Las Vegas Boulevard area, and is currently, according to police, threatening to jump to his death."

*Shots are shown of Las Vegas, including shots of the Flamingo Casino, in which Strickland can barely be seen standing at the window*

"Strickland had violated his court date and flown to Las Vegas along with fellow comic actor Andy Dick of Newsradio fame, who was reportedly arrested minutes ago for cocaine and cannabis possession, after an anonymous source turned over evidence of such possession over to the Los Angeles Police Department."

*The scene cuts to a female witness, who seems to be shaken*

"Me and my husband were walking out after having a drink at the bar when all of a sudden a bunch of people started shouting and pointing up. We looked up and could see a man at the top climbing of the window and looking like he was going to jump. It was terrifying."

"Strickland, who was known to have suffered from Bipolar Disorder according to his friends and family, has had a troubled history with drugs and alcohol. He was arrested 5 months ago after he was found to have cocaine in his car during a check-up, in which he was forced to go to rehab as a result. Strickland would of have attended a court hearing at the Los Angeles Municipal Court today, but after it became clear that he wouldn't, a warrant was put on him.

Attempts to contact Strickland have so far been unsuccessful by police, although an officer who has said to have been trained to talk to suicidal people is going to arrive on the scene. There is only hope that Strickland will come to his senses, and not jump. We will come back when we have more information. This is John Roberts of CBS News."

- CBS News, as the Strickland Incident was playing out on March 21st, 1999

------

shortarmsdeeppockets_50-Ways-Vegas-Has-Changed_002031917.jpg

David Strickland stood at the top of the Flamingo Hotel, looking over the city of Las Vegas, Nevada, clutching the window sill behind him strongly as he attempted to calm himself. He did not know why he looked down, why he was just now having second thoughts. He didn't know why he decided to do everything he did previously without a second thought. So many emotions were flying through his head, fear, regret, anger, anxiety. He didn't want to live in this world anymore, but simultaneously, he didn't want to go out like this.

"David!"

Strickland nearly jumped when he heard the voice of another person after several minutes straight of being alone, contemplating on whenever to jump or not. He turned his head to the right to see a woman, with black hair and slightly brown-tinted skin, wearing a police uniform.

"I'm Charlie Joyce of the LVPD, I need you to stay calm."

Strickland groaned and attempted to kep his grip as he quickly realized what was going on "Go away! Just let me die."

"Strickland, trust me, you don't have do this" The woman continued, she was relatively new to the police force compared to her fellow colleagues, but she was known to be skilled in charismatics, and if she could stop one person from killing themselves, then she was not in hell going to let another jump.

"My life is already over! I could have made it as an actor, but I screwed up and ended up as a druggie instead!"

"It isn't! You still have a life to live!"

David growled as he tried to explain to this lady how and why she wasn't going to help him, "I don't think you understand lady, I'm done, I'm finished, I can't go back and fix things. I should've just quit while I was ahead."

"Listen," She continued, "I know where you are Gordon, I used to feel what you are feeling when I was younger, when my parents divorced and I didn't know what to do, Helpless and Confused at the World, Angry that you're not in control. I took drugs and got involved with crime. In fact, I was going to do what you're trying to do now, I tried to end it all too."

Strickland suddenly felt surprised, along with a hint of guilt and ungratefulness wash over him, as he compared what was going wrong for him to what he was hearing from this woman.

He asked "What did you do then? How did you become an officer?".

Joyce answered, feeling hopeful that she was getting somewhere with him, "Well, when I was arrested for assaulting a shopkeeper when I was 17, I decided to just, well, not give into my habbits anymore. I shut away my friends who introduced and encouraged my criminal life, I distracted myself with different hobbies like painting or music, and I started to take classes on how to become a Cop."

The man's second thoughts were now seriously getting to him, like he was allowing his bipolar and anxiety get to him and control him, telling him things that were not true, and causing him to make rash and unwise decisions. He then had a little hope spark up in him. Maybe I could turn this all around, maybe, his life wouldn't end tonight.

He looked up at her again and asked again, "And did you do this all by yourself?"

"No, I got help from the people at my Rehab, my family, and my friends. Trust me, I felt so much better when I wasn't alone, and I feel like you will too. I can't promise you that you'll be able to pursue your acting career, but promise me, your life has so much more worth, and meaning, than acting."

Finally, after a few more seconds of silence, the sound of wind, sirens, and the slightest sound of human voices from down below. David spoke.

"I want to live. I want to live!"

Joyce, smiling, said "Well, get back inside, you have your whole life ahead of you."

Taking his time, soon enough, the TV star had climbed back inside, as cheers began to come from down below in the streets.

Strickland opened the door and allowed himself to be cuffed by police, who were waiting outside in the hallway. Soon enough, he would be going down the elevator that he intended to make his last trip inside, where he was moved across the lobby, out to the familiar feel of paparazzi, and into the back of a cruiser, which thankfully had specially tinted windows.

He could only hope, hope, that he had made the right choice.

Reactions to March 21st
  • “A man just tried to jump for christ’s sake! Give him some space!” - A police officer escorting David Strickland mere minutes after his suicide attempt, while trying to rid off the paparazzi

"David Strickland and Andrew Dick are currently being held in a county jail away from Las Vegas, but we can confirm that both men are unharmed and are currently both going under treatment. But both will be charged with breaking different laws." - Sherrif of Clark County, Jerry Keller

"Me and the cast of Suddenly Susan are deeply shocked by the recent actions of Strickland, where we hope for his wellbeing and the safety of his family going into the future." - Suddenly Susan creator, Clyde Phillips

"Strickland is my friend, and I will help him get through this." - Suddenly Susan actor and friend of Strickland, Brookes Sheild, after being asked by a reporter on the recent incident

------

The events of March 21st would take America back by surprise, making it one of the most notable events of 1999. Whereas most incidents involving mental health amongst celebrities would be mostly kept private, Strickland's was probably the most public to date. And despite being a relatively unknown actor, Strickland's suicide attempt would bring way more public attention to the use of drug and alcohol use amongst actors and other prominent celebrities. While not doing anything to help stop such activities amongst the higher-ups, the topic became much more widespread talking point somewhat, even long after 1999 came to an end. This also drew the ire of many of those unhappy with the government, pointing out how that many average joes had been arrested en masse for simply owning or being suspected of owning drugs, especially during the Regan-era, while many higher-ups in Hollywood seemingly could easily sneak stuff like cocaine onto sets or at parties.

David would be put on trial for skipping his court date and using drugs, in which he managed to get a lesser sentence of 4 months in prison, and 6 years of probation. Before he would be sent to prison, he would speak to many friends and family, apologizing for his actions and explaining to them how he was planning on completely getting rid of his addictions and habits, and to try and work out his life.

------

Another talking point came with Andy Dick, the actor who brought Strickland to Las Vegas in the first place. Many questioned on why Dick didn't consider Strickland's mental health when making the trip, let alone his legal issues like his court date, and along with that, Dick was confirmed to have used and shared cocaine with others, including Strickland, in which he drew ire for encouraging his addiction which Strickland was arrested in the first place for.

And then, began a disturbing rumor: If Andy Dick gave cocaine to David Strickland, then could he have possibly given some to Brynn Hartman aswell?

Outrage soon followed, with many accusing that Andrew that deliberately, or atleast negligently, causing Brynn's relapse into cocaine, which then resulted in her death in 1998. An investigation was soon launched by police, who had rightfully suspected that Andy Dick and Brynn Hartman had met each other at one time, in which it was revealed that he and her where both at a Christmas Party in 1997 at her home in Encino, Los Angeles.

When questioning the other partygoers, including Brynn's former husband Phillip, they were able to confirm that Dick and Her had met, going into one of the rooms in private at one time. They also concluded that Brynn's relapse did restart around this time. All that it came down to was a confession, which wasn't difficult.

Dick confessed that he did give cocaine to Brynn Hartman on December 25th, 1997, but defended himself by claiming that he had no knowledge of her addiction, and that he himself was under the alcoholic influence at the time. Despite his confession and regret over what he did, Dick would eventually be sentenced to 5 months in prison and 5 years on probation, for drug possession, negligent homicide, and harboring a wanted man. Some believed he deserved worse, while others though the sentence was enough, while few believed that the sentence was too much.

As a result of this conviction, his character Matthew Brooks on Newsradio, was written off, being explained as a 'sudden family emergency', that required him to move away and quit his job. It also didn't help that Phil Hartman was furious about Dick when he found out that he gave Brynn cocaine, with him reportedly becoming isolated from everyone else for a few days after hearing the news and even rumors that he screamed that he was going to kill him.

Along with this, Dick became somewhat of an inspiring punching bag to the entertainment world, with depictions of him in future shows like Family Guy portraying him (or characters designed after him) as negligible, foolish, and reckless, who are obsessed with partying, drinking, drugs, and weird activities.

To say that Dick's career had been tarnished, would be an understatement.

------

Meanwhile, the writers for Suddenly Susan scrambled as they tried to figure out how to deal with David Strickland's absence, to which they decided to retire his character, which was portrayed in the Third Season finale. In that episode, Todd Stiles has gone missing, and throughout the episode, Susan desperately tries to find him. As the episode progresses, Susan learns about a number of good deeds that Todd had done around his neighborhood that she never knew about. Out-of-character interviews with the supporting cast also appear throughout the episode, with each actor sharing their personal experiences they had with Strickland before the incident.

As the episode comes to an end, Todd's favorite song, "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim, plays outside in the street as Susan and her co-workers receive word from police that Strickland had gotten into a car crash, and that due to several undisclosed reasons, cannot go back to work, shocking the crew. Later, Susan receives a phone call from Stiles, telling her and the rest of the crew that he is okay and that he will never forget the times that he, her, and the rest of the crew had, the two say goodbye to each other as the episode closes off with a montage of Stile's funniest moments.

Suddenly Susan would go on to have a polarized fourth season, with certain elements of the show, has changed in the aftermath of Strickland's retirement, but nonetheless, it managed to avoid cancellation, airing its mostly well-received season finale on December 26th, 2000.

------

Dana Plato sat on her couch in her motorhome in Navarre, Florida, looking at her small television as the figure of Strickland re-entered the window of the Flamingo Hotel, as cheers were heard and a relived news reporter called the end of the ordeal a miracale, but Plato wasn't celebrating, she was shaken.

She looked at that bottle of pills to her left, resting on her table. She thought about her addiction to their stuff, and what she would do under them. She grabbed them and with a single throw, landed it in the basket bin.

"Screw, that. I don't want to end up like him."

------

Dino Andrade and his wife Mary were driving home from a day at work, it had been three weeks since they were sitting in the breakroom when the television turned on and showed the 'Strickland Incident', as it had begun to be called by many people, played out on CNN, as the image of a washed-up actor standing on the ledge of a building, while the panicked shouts of people down bellow tried to get his attention, fearing that he may jump any minute.

Dino had noticed over the past few days that her wife had been acting strangely after they watched the scene play out on television alongside their coworkers, she always seemed to be staring off into the distance or having a worried expression on her face, but today, it was more apparent than before. She was currently looking out of the car window, her reflection telling him that she was thinking about something particularly depressing, as the concern on her face told him. He had a feeling that something wasn't quite right about his wife during their marriage, but now something was definitely wrong.

"Mary?" She turned her head quickly to look at him, a little surprise in her eyes.

"Yes?"

The car pulled into their driveway as he asked "Mary, why are you so anxious lately? You've been acting up both at home and at work, is there something wrong, or anything I should know about?".

Mary couldn't really come off with an excuse while they sat in his car, as he was right about her being worried. In her head, the image of that man, standing at the windowsill and looking down at the ground, kept popping up in her mind ever since she saw that broadcast. She then began to imagine if he did jump off from that building and die from the impact crushing his body, which then led to imagining her taking her own life, imagining what would happen afterward. She imagined Dino as Tiffany or one of Strickland's other friends or his family, shaken and scared by what their partner, friend, and relative had tried to do, and then what would happen if they had succeeded, how devasted they would be.

She had a problem, one that existed well before 1999 ever rolled around. But she wasn't going to keep it from him, or anybody else, any longer.

And that was when the sobbing began.

------

While many believe that the Strickland's incident would only affect him and his work, it unknowingly helped get a particularly well-known actress and another struggling one out of their similar problems.

"And...I feel like that if Strickland had not climbed out of that window, I would not be here today. I kinda scared me straight, to be honest, *laughs*"
    - Dana Plato, during her appearance on the Howard Stern Show, May 8th 1999

------

The Attempted Suicide of David Strickland was an event that took place on March 21st, 1999 at the Flamingo Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, in which actor and comedian David Strickland, climbed out of a window of the Flamingo Hotel and threatened to jump, after police entered the hotel looking for him after he missed his court date. David Strickland stayed up there for 27 minutes, before he was convinced not to jump by a Las Vegas Police Department Officer, in which he surrendered himself to police.
    - A Wikipedia Article on the Incident, circa 2004

Last edited:
    Futurama
  • 7391401.attach

On March 28th, 1999, FOX would premiere a new show by Matt Groening named Futurama, surrounding around the adventures of Curtis J Fry[1](Billy West), a Pizza Boy who gets himself accidentally cryogenically frozen and awakens in the 31st Century, 1000 years into the future, in which he's forced to live a new life as an employee of the delivery company Planet Express. Among Curtis' new future companions is the drunken and immature Bender Bending Rodriguez (John DiMaggio), the competent Turanga Leela (Katey Sagal), and old genius Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth (Billy West).

Among the voice acting stars of the show would be Phil Hartman, who voiced the buff and egocentric captain Zapp Brannigan of the DOOP starship Nimbus.

[1] Curtis was Fry's original name before Hartman's murder, in which he was named so as an act of respect by Groening.

At The Movies is Back!
  • "Well, all I can say after your grand return to this show is, welcome back.

It's been a pleasure."

- Excerpt of the first At The Movies episode with Gene Siske; since February, April 17th, 1999.

30THISLIFE-blog427.jpg

On April 17th, 1999, Gene Siskel returned to At The Movies, and with his friend, Ebert, began reviewing movies together again. The first movies that Ebert and Siskel would review Life, Hideous Kinky, EXistenZ, Goodbye Lover, and Friends & Lovers, but not before Siskel gave a short and humorous story of his time off the show, describing it as a 'mess'.

Here are a few reviews of notable films that were made in 1999;

Saving Private Ryan: Both thumbs way up.

Shakespeare in Love:
    Both thumbs up.

Wild Wild West:
    Both thumbs way down.

Never Been Kissed:
    Siskel thumbs way down, Ebert thumbs down.

The Blair Witch Project:
    Siskel thumbs down, Ebert thumbs up.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace:
    Siskel thumbs down, Ebert thumbs up.[1]

American Pie:
    Siskel thumbs down, Ebert thumbs up.

Fight Club: Both thumbs up.

The Matrix:
    Both thumbs up.

While most would believe that the show has stayed mostly the same over the course of it's run, some would say that since Siskel returned from his hiatus in April 1999, the show has gotten better(atleast ratings wise) over time since. The show is currently awaiting to look forward to its grand entrance into the 3rd millennium, and with it, the 00s and that comes with it.

[1] This was quite a controversial rating for Siskel at the time, as the hype around The Phantom Menace was still strong, nowadays most people can see why he might not have liked the movie.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
  • "Turmoil has engulfed the
    Galactic Republic. The taxation
    of trade routes to outlying star
    systems is in dispute.

Hoping to resolve the matter
    with a blockade of deadly
    battleships, the greedy Trade
    Federation has stopped all
    shipping to the small planet
    of Naboo.

While the Congress of the
    Republic endlessly debates
    this alarming chain of events,
    the Supreme Chancellor has
    secretly dispatched two Jedi
    Knights, the guardians of
    peace and justice in the
    galaxy, to settle the conflict....
    "
    - The opening crawl

1*FfgtHQombT9Ng9Q4NqzYaA.jpeg

May 16th, 1999 would see the return of George Lucas's iconic film franchise to the big screen. first premiered in Los Angeles, California, attracting large crowds of long-time and new fans alike to see brand new action. The film is a prequel to the main series, taking 32 years before the events of Episode Four, the story portrays the disputes of the Trade Federation and Galatic Federation, the friendship between Qui-Gon and his student Obi-Wan, and their interactions with the little Anakin Skywalker, and their fight against the Sith.

The movie stays the same as in OTL, however, the reception around the acting is a little better ITTL by critics and audiences, Anikan's actor Jake Lloyd, would, in particular, become a little bit of a celebrity due to his role in the film, despite his mostly okay part in the film. Jar Jar Binks, the CGI Gungan, however, would become a punching bag in the Movie Industry and amongst Star Wars fans, which wouldn't be any good for the voice actor Ahmed Best, to nearly commit suicide not long after it came out.

Two other differences from OTL include a slightly bigger box office, making an extra $10 million gross, along with better reviews from websites like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, receiving a few more points than they would have.

"The film could be better if it didn't have Jar-Jar in it, but fans will love it either way."
    - The Boston Globe

"The biggest hit of the year!"
    - The New York Times

"Little Anakin is sure to become a new child star."
    - The Los Angeles Times

"You either love it, or you hate it, most likely with a passion."
    - The Chicago Tribune

"Trust me Siskel, the Acting could have been alot worse than it turned out to be."
    - Roger Ebert

"I'd respectfully disagree."
    - Gene Siskel

The Columbine Massacre
  • GTY_columbine_jtm_141007_hpMain_5_31x13_992.jpg

Columbine_Shooting_Security_Camera.jpg

save.jpg

On the morning of the 20th of April, 1999, two students named Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold walked onto their school grounds and proceeded to start shooting at their fellow students, they then proceeded to walk into their school through the shattered windows and then scurried their way through rooms and hallways, killing several students and a teacher along the way, . Halfway through the shooting, a pipe bomb that was thrown into one of the classrooms had ignited a bunch of paper and cardboard and started a fire that soon tore out of the windows and began to eat up the school walls. The SWAT would soon be sent in, as the fire might have distracted the shooters, the SWAT then discovered and incapacitated the two shooters before they could fire back.

In total, ten students and one teacher died during the massacre, shocking the nation and sending it into mourning, making it one of the most tragic in American History. It also started a large debate on gun control, with Democrats arguing for gun control and tighter restrictions on firearms, and Republicans argued that students should be armed with pistols in order to defend themselves from shooters, or that instead of gun culture, it was video games, music, and movies that were responsible. But regardless, both sides were glad that the shooters had been caught before they could take their own lives, and that they would pay for their crimes.

Two students, however, would be lucky that they had stayed off school at the time, saving their lives. Their names were Steve Curnow and Cassie Bernall. Cassie had caught the flu a few days earlier and needed to stay off of school until she got better, while Cunrow had tripped and badly twisted his ankle while playing sports a week before, meaning that he would need to stay off for a few weeks, which saved their lives from a terrible massacre which could have resulted in them being two extra victims to the list.

The Accident
  • May 12th, 1999
    New York City

Garth Ancier was driving down the road of Manhattan as he was trying to get to work, he was being promoted to President of NBC Entertainment, which would probably be one of the biggest promotions of his life. He was already known for helping many television shows off the ground and onto the air such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, and even The Simpsons themselves. This promotion would probably be yet another big boost for his record, that was if he could just get to work on time.

"Damn this traffic! Could it get any worse?"

He continued to think as the jam was slowly dispersing and he managed to increase the speed of his car down the road, there would be alot of things that he would need to do when we would become President, such as getting the new shows like Law and Order and West Wing off the ground, hiring new employees, and dealing with submitted pilots of new shows, one of which was some new Teen Drama by Paul Feig called Freaks and Geeks. Ancier didn't understand those shows, maybe it was because he went to a private school instead of a public school, but he personally didn't think it would do well compared to the other-

But before he could think any further, Ancier suddenly heard the sound of screeching and people yelling, turning to his left, he a red-coated car speeding down the road recklessly, coming down right towards him. Shocked and trying to get out of the way, he turned to the right in order to avoid it. The vehicle barley missing.

The last thing that Ancier would see before going black was the sight of the oncoming wall of a building before he could hit the brakes in time, people leaping out of the way as he skidded into it.

-----

Jeff Zucker, sat inside his office, typing away on his computer as he searched the internet when he suddenly got a phone call. He looked over, picked up his cellphone, and answered "Hello?".

"Zucker," It was Scott Sassa, President of NBC Entertainment, with a hint somberness in his voice, "I've...got some bad news, it might require your assistance."

Concerned, he asked, "Well, what's the problem?"

"It's Ancier, he's just gotten into a car accident."

"What?"

"He was driving on his way to walk when some guy nearly crashed into his car, which caused him to try and swerve out of the way, and it's landed him into a coma, we don't know if we can't really find any replacements to succeed me as President. We're going to need you to come down so we can assess the situation."

Jeff couldn't believe what he was hearing, but he kept his composure and said: "Alright, I'll be on my way." He hung up the phone and sighed, this was something that he wasn't prepared for, at all. he packed his things, turned off his computer, and headed out.

-----

In the aftermath of Ancier car crash, which was caused by a tired driver who was trying to rush his way to work, causing him to injure Ancier and three others when he lost control, Jeff Zucker would eventually become the one to be selected to lead NBC Entertainment, starting his job on May 20th. This new position would put some weight onto him, as he wasn't expecting such a promotion under such sudden and terrible circumstances. But he would manage to get through the struggles of the first few weeks of management, airing Law and Order: SVU and the West Wing without much trouble.

As for Garcier, he would thankfully recover from his coma two weeks later, eventually healing his ribs, shoulders, and arms, which were heavily damaged in the crash. He would manage to return to work by late 1999, just in time for the dawn of the new Millenium. The man who caused his accident, meanwhile, would be charged with reckless driving and the injury of four people.

RIP Owen Hart
  • On May 23rd, 1999, inside the Kemper Arena of Kansas City, Missouri. While being lowered into the ring of the Over the Edge event, Owen Hart, known professionally by his wrestling name The Blue Blazer, suddenly lost control of his harness and had released him 78 feet too early, with his fall causing him immense injuries, which tragically caused his death soon afterward.

He was only 34 years old.

tumblr_mtddw0xN8e1rg89a6o8_400.jpg

Rest in Peace
    Owen James Hart
    (May 7th, 1965 – May 23rd, 1999)

Last edited:
    The Iron Giant
  • methode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fda9baea8-e6fb-36f7-a470-20e972d74909.jpg

Brad Bird's the Iron Giant, an adaptation of Ted Hughes' story of a similar name, would premiere across theatres on September 24th, 1999. The film told the story of a giant robot who falls from space and lands near the town of Rockwell, Maine, who soon makes friends with a small boy named Hogarth. But both are soon threatened by the arrival of Agent Kent Mansley, who exemplifies the cold war paranoid-filled 1950s America, who wants to destroy the robot before it destroys the humans, despite the Giant's innocent nature.

Originally rushed to be released on July 31st at the Mann's Chinese Theatre, and later on August 6th nationwide. Warner Bros. began to have second thoughts after Wild Wild West, which they hoped to be their big break, was a flop both critically and financially. With At The Movies particularly leading the charge with both Ebert and Siskel tearing the film apart, and then, just to add a cherry on top, made sure to recommend other upcoming Warner Bros. films as an alternative for WWW, one of the most prominent being the Iron Giant. Some say that At The Movies did a better job at marketing the film than Warner Bros. did.

Ebert: And that's why I think that's why Wild Wild West might just be one of the worst films of the decade. It's unfunny, crazy, and somehow has worse CGI than the Phantom Menace. The two actors, while decent in other work, just plain and simple couldn't make this film work.

Siskel: I agree with you full heartedly Ebert, even if it is an understatement just to how unbearable it is. And just to make it just that little worse, Warner Bros. was pushing this film's advertisement like crazy, they thought that this would make more money than their other releases, in which one of them was this cute little animated film, the Iron Giant, and from the trailers of those films alone, people are going to immediately tell that those films are going to be better than whatever disaster Wild Wild West was.

Ebert: You mentioned the Iron Giant there Gene, and I have met people who have seen test screenings of that, and have watched the few trailers that Warner Bros. even bothered to put out on television, and I can say, what are they thinking? How is Will Smith in drag and a giant mechanical spider in 19th-century America going to be a better film than a simple but complex story of humanity and compassion made for both kids and grown-ups?

Siskel: I don't know Ebert, I really don't know.
    - From the July 3rd episode of At The Movies, featuring the film Wild Wild West

It has been said by Bird and other members of the crew that the Warner Bros. and Warner Bros Animation executives both met and agreed to give the film a better chance at succeeding, seemingly convinced that while Quest for Camelot was a failure, which made them reconsider their animated films, they decided that after so much positive public reception, they couldn't risk negligence by making another flop. So they managed to reschedule things by moving the date from August 6th to September 24th, and to see if they could work out a deal on advertising, eventually managing to score a deal with Burger King.

With its pushed back release date, and increased attempt at marketing. The Iron Giant was ready, and so opened in theatres in September 1999 across the United States and other parts of the World , with it grossing $84,000,000, which was only 14 million over its budget, but was just enough to make it a hit. The film would soon become an example of 'a little film that could', a film that overcame the struggles of a disappointed production and proved itself to be a hit, with a strong critical reception and legacy to boot and carry the film into animation history. And despite not being a smash hit they were hoping for, it proved to Warner Bros. that people weren't ready to give up on their animated films, just yet.

Freaks and Geels
  • "I don't give a damn about my reputation!"
    - The first line of Freaks and Geek's intro song

GettyImages-908873.jpg

Debuting on September 25th, 1999. Freaks and Geeks is a show created from the minds of Paul Feig and Judd Apatow, the show centres around the two Weir siblings and their friends, Lindsay (Linda Cardellini) and her 'Freaks' and Sam (John Daley) and his 'Geeks'. Among the Freaks are Daniel (James Franco), Ken (Seth Rogen), and Nick (Jason Segel), along with Neal (Samn Levince) and Bill (Martin Starr) as Sam's Geek friends. The Weir parents, Harold and Jean, are featured in every episode. Millie Kentner, Lindsay's nerdy and highly religious former best friend, is a recurring character, as is Cindy Sanders, the popular cheerleader on whom Sam has a crush.

The show is set in the town of Chippewa, Michigan, a fictional suburb of Detroit (named after Chippewa Valley High School, which series creator Paul Feig attended) during the 1980-1 school year. Lindsay finds herself attempting to transform her life as an academically proficient student, star "mathlete", and young girl into a rebellious teenager who hangs out with troubled slackers. Her relationships with her new friends, and the friction they cause with her parents and with her own self-image, form one central strand of the show. The other follows Sam and his group of geeky friends as they navigate a different part of the social universe and try to fit in.

Unlike in OTL, where Garth Ancier didn't understand the show and hence neglected it, resulting it getting canceled after one season. Freaks and Geeks would have better treatment under Zucker, and would quickly see it rise as one of the biggest shows on NBC, reaching ratings alongside shows like Friends within the span of only a couple of months. Many were surprised the show became so successful, with fans pointing out the realistic and down-to-earth portrayal of school in the show. It would be safe to say that Freaks and Geeks, along with the characters featured in it, would continue on well into the 2000s, becoming an iconic part of that decade's television.