Golden: A Pop Culture Timeline

Great update (and TL) but I can't help but feel that re: "No Goal", it would be a lot more interesting if you have it disallowed, and have Buffalo (by which I mean Hasek) win a Cup off the back of that. It would certainly make things a lot more interesting (by which I mean it would likely lead to there having been riots on both sides of the 49th caused by the NHL).
I'm going to be honest, while I'd consider myself a 'Pop Culture Enthusiast', I'm unfortunately not a big fan or expert of sports, so I apologize if I didn't put that much effort into the sports section of the 1999 post.

But nonetheless, I will take your suggestion into consideration :)

Nice update and summery of the year. No mention of Doctor Who or Star Trek though for context?

Not to defend him in anyway, but I recall the Rolf Harris case had some more layers of complexity than Glitter and Saville.

Does Napster find a way to work with the record companies? Does Amazon survive? Can Vivacom stay viable? Looking forward to where you go next.

Nice update and summery of the year. No mention of Doctor Who or Star Trek though for context?

Sorry, I will try to mention them later on!
Not to defend him in anyway, but I recall the Rolf Harris case had some more layers of complexity than Glitter and Saville.

Is there anything I should add in context to this then?
Does Napster find a way to work with the record companies? Does Amazon survive? Can Vivacom stay viable? Looking forward to where you go next.

I will talk about all of those in future chapters!

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Loved the update! On to the new millennium!

Britney Spears - Baby One More Time

Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca

Lou Bega - Mambo No 5 (A Little Bit of ...)

Rob Thomas & Santana - Smooth

TLC - No Scrubs

Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)

The Backstreet Boys - I Want it That Way

Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle

Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love

Offspring - Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)

You know how I made a playlist for another important AH.com writer? I started one for you. It's nothing major, and your input would be appreciated if you feel anything needs added or removed as time goes on. First off is the above list. I would've included 1998 but meh.

Governor (and former Rolling Stones bodyguard) Jesse Ventura

Oh, didn't know he was a former bodyguard for the Rolling Stones. I must say, Jesse Ventura has had an interesting life, being a wrestler, governor, and conspiracy theorist, among others activities.

Video Games
Popular Games Released This Year

Unchanged from OTL, I imagine, but this too shall pass as time flows. Again, these updates were extravagant, and I look forward to what comes next!

January 17th: AFC Championship, Mile High Stadium, Denver: Denver Broncos beat New York Jets, 23-10; features infamous "The Miss", Vikings' PK Gary Anderson misses field goal late 4th quarter NHL All-Star Game.
Wrong sport, this is NFL not NHL, far different sport and did the vikes choke as otl?

A New Era Begins
December 31st, 1999
Los Angeles, California

"5!

4!

3!

2!

1!!!

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!"

720x540_la_newyears_lsh_356236580.jpg

Phil Hartman, his kids, and friends celebrated the scene of fireworks heading up into the air and exploding into blasts of multi-colored light amongst the Los Angeles night sky. It was probably one of the most beautiful things Hartman had seen in his life, thinking of the possibilities that the New Millenium would bring him and his family. He was still acting in Newsradio and voicing in the Simpsons, he had accepted to do a sequel to Blasto, and that the script for Troy McClure had just started being written. And to think all of these opportunities would have been taken away just over a year ago thanks to his late wife’s addiction.

Phil’s son, Sean, came up to him and asked “Dad? Are you okay?”

Phil, realizing he was shedding a tear, quickly wiped it away and said: “Oh, I’m fine Sean." Thinking of activity for him and his son to do to get his mind off his thoughts, he then asked "Hey! Do you want to grab a Hotdog and head to the local pond?”

“Sure, Dad!” The two then began making their way to the hotdog stand, being the first thing they decided to do in this new millennium.

Meanwhile, all across the World, many were experiencing similar joys, as parties and raves were being held in almost all major cities, as people witnessed the shift from the 2nd millennium to the 3rd. Despite the alteration between this world and ours has only started recently, that was only the begging of what was about to come, as there were many new and interesting things that were just yet to come...

Begging of Act II
THE 2000s

Recovery
January 7th, 2000
Los Angeles, California

630x355.jpeg

“And that will be our class for today, thank you all for coming.”

David Strickland stood up, shook the hands of a few of his fellow recoverers, and walked out of the meeting room door and out into the hallway out to his car. It had now been 9 months since that detective convinced him to not take his life and to get the help he was given, and to be honest, he feeling alot better than he did back in 1998, it felt like he was both appreciating the life he had in his hands now more than ever before, along with the feeling that he was more loved by his family and friends as well. While the avoiding of the paparazzi as much as possible, the divorce that followed his stunt, and the following moments of depression that nagged him were hard. Before that, it was like he was blind to it all until he looked away from his pursuits for just a moment.

One thing that Strickland would never have thought when he decided not to jump from that ledge in Las Vegas, was simply how many people cared. Sure it was public, but he would of thought that people would have moved on by now. But apparently not, even in this New Millennium people still talked about that incident, many were now comparing it to other notable events in the 90s, like the Clinton Sex Scandal or Columbine, which Strickland personally thought was quite a stretch, but according to everybody else, apparently not.

What was even more moving for Strickland, Hell, it was even said Mary Bergman, that famous voice actress in numerous roles in television and films like South Park, had apparently been so fixated on the event that it forced her to come out to her husband about her suicidal and anxious thoughts, he might have passed it off, but he felt a great deal when he realized that he might just have saved that woman’s life. And then some more, as he might have just saved who knows what many more.

But that wasn’t all, however, a few days ago, he received a letter from a Dana Plato, he didn’t recognize her at first, but later realized that she was that girl from Different Strokes, who had also gotten into a controversy some time ago due to robbing a convenience store. She, not being as well known as other actresses, was having a very private rehabilitation, but regardless, wanted to inform him that she was personally thankful towards him for ‘helping her see the true craziness of Hollywood stardom’, and that she was mailing him because of that. As she personally put it “Seeing you dangling out of that window woke me the hell up.”

ds.png
dp.png

David could only really wonder what effect his actions could truly have on the World when people he had never met in person, spoke to, or even knew existed were making choices based on what he did. He had thought that he was just a small time actor that came in, did their best, fail, ends it, and fades away, but then again, you don’t just threaten public suicide in Vegas and don’t get noticed, do you?

Strickland climbed into his car and started to turn on the ignition, as he thought about another thing Plato had told him in her letter. One of the activities she did to distract herself from the struggles of life was to write, she didn’t write about anything in particular, but just to take notes about stuff on her mind, what ideas or creations that were in her imagination. Sometimes even write a short story or two. It was said to be relaxing for her. Strickland thought about it some more, and while he preferred to be a more 'visual' person due to his talent as an actor, decided that tonight, he would take a shot at trying it.

“It couldn’t hurt to try…”

Strickland then reached his small house, headed inside, and closed the door behind him. Glad to be away from the prying eyes of the big city.

Ava
January 25th, 2000
Los Angeles, California

Keanu Reeves looked into the eyes of his newborn daughter, her eyes dark brown like his, her mouth closed but clearly showing a little smile. He was sitting in the same room that his girlfriend, Jennifer Syne, had given birth to their baby girl, as she lay in the hospital bed and looked at her daughter as she was being held in the arms of her husband.

"What are we going to name her?" she asked.

Reeves thought about it for a few seconds, for a moment, he thought about something different for her, but then decided that their original name for he would be a good one. He smiled as he looked once again into her eyes.

"Ava. That's what we'll name her."

And so, the life of Ava Archer Syme-Reeves, had begun.

keanu-reeves-young-217x300.jpg
th

preview.jpg

RIP Jim Varney
X3P6yseVEtOgfANpFZ9nScGD856xDJUb3g2iXRMS9VovyQg57kHQ6-RX0-7betzRzGrPzlkSXi4ejt6g8LWrEvDONpmI8sFbY8jVgIJsjOv_Yq9gcbjbd09rad1lR0NS0zIESE97

James Albert Varney Jr., the actor famous for portraying the crazy Ernest P. Worrell in both commercials and films, and Slinky Dog in the Toy Story films. Was announced to have died from his complications of Lung Cancer inside his home in White House, Tennessee. He was just 50 years old.

Varney first got diagnosed after he kept coughing up blood on set of Treehouse Hostage, where he first found out that he had Lung Cancer. He then began to live his life without his cigarettes, throwing them away and staying smoke-free until his death. Despite his condition becoming worse over the following months, he continued to star in movies various movies. Atlantis: The Lost Kingdom would be his final film role, with the film being dedicated to his memory.

Jim_Varney.jpg

Rest In Peace
James Albert Varney Jr.
(June 15, 1949 – February 10, 2000)

RIP Charles Schulz
Last_peanuts_comic.png

February 12th, 2000 would be marked as a sad day for Peanuts fans everywhere, as its creator Charles M. Schulz, died from his cancer at the age of 77. His final comic strip, addressing his readers on how he was grateful to have written his comics for them for so long, was published a day later on the 13th. Schulz had written, animated, and drawn Peanuts for nearly 50 years begging on October 2nd, 1950 and going on all the way to February 12th, 2000.

His comics will continue to live on forever.

194747-004-1306F4C3.jpg

Rest in Peace
Charles Monroe Schulz
(26 November 1922- 12 February 2000)

PlayStation 2
677px-PS2-Versions.jpg

On the morning of March 4th, all across the State of Japan, Sony would unveil its newest gaming console; the PlayStation 2. Offering backward compatibility for its predecessor's DualShock controller, as well as its games. The PS2 surpasses its predecessors' abilities and capabilities, including audio, video, lighting, texture mapping, artificial intelligence, and game physics. Many popular games were set to be playable on the PlayStation 2, both at launch, and into the future.

Japan would become the first in the World to afford the PlayStation2, with the console selling fast on store shelves by people of all backgrounds and interests. But soon enough, the console is set to release in North America on October 26, 2000, and in Europe and Australia in November 2000. Going on to become the most successful gaming console of all time in the number of units sold across the World, remaining popular well into the seventh generation.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
(For those unsure, the deaths of Jim Varney and Charles Schulz are as per OTL. (R.I.P.) The birth of Ava Archer Syme-Reeves, OTOH, is a bit different. IOTL she was stillborn, here she makes it out alive with her story to tell years down the line.)

Loving this timeline so far. It'll be early '01 before I'd (hypothetically) be around, so far this TL looks like one I wouldn't mind living in, even with anything bad that comes up.