200px-COA_George_Washington.svg.png

- GOD SAVE GREAT WASHINGTON -
The World of the American Monarchy

-

God save great George our King,
Long live our noble King, God save the King.
Send him victorious, happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us, God save the King.

God bless great Washington,
Fair Freedom's chosen Son Long to command.
May every Enemy, Far from his Presence flee,
And be grim Tyranny Bound by his Hand.

-

Since everyone and their mother is doing an AH North America, I decided to through out my own, which I've been working on this TL on and off again for sometime. Someday, I may turn this into a novel. For now, I'm content to do some world building. The PoD is a generally worse "Critical Period," which takes the United States to the edge of civil war. When the Constitutional Convention meets in 1787, the result is a constitutional monarchy with George Washington as the first monarch. In a nutshell: an American monarchy.

I plan to be the main purveyor of this thread. However, if you have any contributions or suggestions, I would welcome it, so long as I have final say. As of now, here is what is concrete:

- American monarchy being ruled by the House of Washington
- a federal system of government much like OTL
- New York City is the capital
- surviving French Empire under the Bonapartes
- differing ideologies than just OTL equivalents
- gradual manumission beginning in the 1830's thanks to the cotton gin being invented much later
- republicanism is seen as a radical ideology, having the appeal that OTL Marxism and Libertarianism has to some now.

Any way, to tide you over, here is a slight re-working of an earlier wikibox that I made over a year ago. Augustine II:
gsgw_001a.png

Very nice start! Two questions, what made George Washington decide to become a king and what made the states allow it?

Very nice start! Two questions, what made George Washington decide to become a king and what made the states allow it?

1) The working PoD is during the “Critical Period” (1783-87), which proves to be far worse ITTL. Shay’s Rebellion is bloodier, and inspires similar uprisings in other states. The constitutional convention convenes like OTL, but recent events make the delegates more open to a monarchy, especially with the promise that Washington would be the first American king.

2) Same as above. Most Americans are willing to have a monarchy if it’s Washington. ITTL, I tentatively have Jefferson fleeing to France out of protest, and become far more radical than he was in OTL.

1) The working PoD is during the “Critical Period” (1783-87), which proves to be far worse ITTL. Shay’s Rebellion is bloodier, and inspires similar uprisings in other states. The constitutional convention convenes like OTL, but recent events make the delegates more open to a monarchy, especially with the promise that Washington would be the first American king.

2) Same as above. Most Americans are willing to have a monarchy if it’s Washington. ITTL, I tentatively have Jefferson fleeing to France out of protest, and become far more radical than he was in OTL.
Okay then. If this USA is a constitutional monarchy (which it sounds like it is) might I suggest Alexander Hamilton being its first prime minister/president/whatever?

Prince Lawrence, Princess Jackie, Countess
Prince Lawrence, Duke of Chicago, referred to sometimes as "Lively Larry" by the press, is the brother of the reigning monarch Augustine II, and the second son born to the previous sovereign George III. Lawrence has a complicated reputation with the public. Before his ill-fated marriage to the lovely Jaclyn "Jackie" Thomas, Lawrence had the reputation for being a playboy, contrasting sharply with his austere, duty-bound older brother. Serving in sinecure positions in the army, Lawrence often participated in riding shows and play "jousts" that had made a comeback in some Southern states. Members of the tabloid press also took great delight in profiling the women to whom he would give tokens before the competitions. Jackie, a small-time actress, was one of these women, and was considered to be by many his most beautiful "companion." The two experienced a whirlwind courtship and were married in late 1979.

At first, the marriage proved to be quite popular. The Duke's roguish personality coupled with the Duchess' bubbliness endeared them with the general public. With the birth of their first and only child Anna in 1981, the name became a favorite name for newborn baby girls. However, the marriage was not to last as the Duke's serial philandering, coupled with the Duchess' desire to return to her acting career resulted in the couple separating and then divorcing in 1985. The event, coupled with accusations of George III's household of financial impropriety, brought the American monarchy to a lowpoint, saved only by the rising popularity of the duller, more stable Prince John, later Augustine II.

Jaclyn made a brief return to acting, and even landed a leading lady role in the romantic comedy Three's A Crowd, which was roundly panned by critics. While she continued to act in smaller parts in both film and television, she never again caught the big break she wanted. On the morning of May 31, 2000, she was found dead at the famous Hotel Mississippi in St. Louis. Autopsy revealed that she had died from drug overdose, with her death being ruled a suicide by police. Augustine allowed for the Duchess to be buried alongside other members of the royal family at Christ Church in Alexandria, a move that was both criticized and praised by royal watchers. Many blamed the Duke for driving Jaclyn to her death. Though he was seen shedding a tear at her funeral, he remained uncharacteristically stoic throughout the ordeal, only adding to charges of heartlessness. He has not remarried, though rumors of his having a string of girlfriends continue to persist.

Their daughter Anna has made a name for herself in her charitable activity, including poverty relief in Appalachia. In 2005, she married wealthy businessman Edward Vincent, and was given the discretionary title of "Countess of Albany."
gsgw_002.png

About the House of Washington: Did George Washington and Martha Washington father a child, or does the House of Washington bloodline run through his step-grandson George Washington Parke Custis?

About the House of Washington: Did George Washington and Martha Washington father a child, or does the House of Washington bloodline run through his step-grandson George Washington Parke Custis?

No, Washington still has no children. My working line is this: his nephew Bushrod Washington is selected by him to be his heir. So far, I have not been able find out if Bushrod had any children. I am going to assume that he had, and make up a fictional line from there.

No, Washington still has no children. My working line is this: his nephew Bushrod Washington is selected by him to be his heir. So far, I have not been able find out if Bushrod had any children. I am going to assume that he had, and make up a fictional line from there.
"Brown and 10 of her cousins have a more distinguished lineage than most because of their descent from the Supreme Court justice. (But, again, not direct descent — Bushrod Washington never had children either.)"

Thanks. I think it might be simpler just to create a fictional lineage.

Here's a draft of the House of Washington. Write-up and repost to follow. Any thoughts?View attachment 388153

EVen though you have already done this, there is an old Ancestry Magazine article from 2008 that kinda follows/examines a "Royal House of Washington" descendents and all.

Starts at page 23, but pages 26/27/28 all have family trees of descendents of George Washington's brothers/sisters, older and younger.

Nice, although since there's only one queen does that mean that the line of succession always goes to the eldest son of the reigning monarch?

The American line of succession is similar to the British one: male primogeniture. Women aren’t excluded, like in Salic law. Since most kings have been able to produce male heirs, it’s never been a major issue ITTL.

Subbed and hooked. I hope this’ll become like the Commonwealth of New England thread, only this time I’m getting in on it early and won’t have to go through dozens of wikiboxes at once.