God is a Frenchman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Bumped.

Just want to remind everyone that this timeline has not been abandoned. I made the mistake of trying two timelines at the same time (and have not been able to resist the possibility of a THIRD), so updates to this one have been long in coming. But I should have some more soon.

Anaxagoras

Banned
1849:
A major Chinese offensive against Hanoi and Haiphong fails due to superior French weapons and tactics. At the same time, the French navy is wrecking havoc up and down the Chinese coast. Since it is beyond the ability to the French to actually invade China, their strategy is simply to inflict so much pain on the Chinese that they will see the conflict as not being worth the cost.

Jean-Paul Cagniart, a young man involved in underground radical activities, is arrested in Lyon for distributed banned pamphlets. While under interrogation, he dies. Police claim he had a hard attack, while the townspeople believe he was tortured to death. He news spreads rapidly throughout Lyon. By the afternoon, a large crowd had gathered in central Lyon, angrily calling for the men responsible to be punished. Police ordered them to disperse, bricks were thrown and shots fired, and within hours rioting was raging throughout the city.

Although the incident seemed trivial in the grand scheme of things, no one could see at the time that the French Revolution had begun.

Word of the disturbances in Lyon spread rapidly throughout France. As it did so, latent opposition to King Henri among the peasantry and bourgeoisie blew up. Crowds demonstrated against censorship and other repressive laws in Paris, Marseilles and other major cities, and police were unable to deal with the demonstrations. Vive Malraux becomes a rallying cry.

When the news reached London, leaders of the FRU declare that the people have risen up against their king. Many FRU supporters begin the laborious task of infiltrating their way back into France, hoping to take control of the protests and channel the energy into a genuine political opposition.

King Henri reacts predictably, ordering all rioters to be shot on sight. Speaking the name of Malraux is made illegal. Preparations are made to employ the army to restore order if the police are unsuccessful.

The rest of the world is stunned. France was unquestionably the most powerful nation on the face of the Earth, yet it was being torn apart by internal revolt. Many leaders in other nations raise the possibility of taking advantage of the situation, much as they tried to do in the previous war when disturbances swept through France. However, it is pointed out that the disturbances have, as yet, not spread to the French military.

AT least, a new installment in a great TL.

Many thanks.

Anaxagoras said:
1849:

Word of the disturbances in Lyon spread rapidly throughout France. As it did so, latent opposition to King Henri among the peasantry and bourgeoisie blew up. Crowds demonstrated against censorship and other repressive laws in Paris, Marseilles and other major cities, and police were unable to deal with the demonstrations. Vive Malraux becomes a rallying cry.

A french revolution which doesn't begin in Paris? Unusual! But plausible given your TL. I imagine that Lyon is bigger and more industrialised than at the same period OTL, given the previous events. Correct?

Anaxagoras said:
When the news reached London, leaders of the FRU declare that the people have risen up against their king. Many FRU supporters begin the laborious task of infiltrating their way back into France, hoping to take control of the protests and channel the energy into a genuine political opposition.

King Henri reacts predictably, ordering all rioters to be shot on sight. Speaking the name of Malraux is made illegal. Preparations are made to employ the army to restore order if the police are unsuccessful.

Mmm.... That may have worked if he had only the mob to deal with ( i.e. if the bourgeoisie was for him ( ala Napoleon III ). Since the bourgeoisie is for the revolution, that means all the Gardes Francaises and Gardes Nationales ( I assume they are still around, as I didn't see anything about them getting disbanded ) are also for the revolt. And they are the regiments inside the cities.

As is, at least a big part of the amry will outright refuse to obey such an order and will march to protect the revolt ( shades of 'Gloire au 17eme', here ), while another part will mutiny when ordered to march or to fire. There will be some loyal regiments, but they are likely to be outnumebered.

This could devellop as anything, from a full civil war to a bloodless coup. It depends on the reaction and intelligence of the King. And Luck, of course.

Anaxagoras said:
The rest of the world is stunned. France was unquestionably the most powerful nation on the face of the Earth, yet it was being torn apart by internal revolt. Many leaders in other nations raise the possibility of taking advantage of the situation, much as they tried to do in the previous war when disturbances swept through France. However, it is pointed out that the disturbances have, as yet, not spread to the French military.

WHich is about the worst thing they could do, unless a full blown civil war is well undergoing and they get called in. And even then, it's likely a heavy blow AGAINST the party they're helping, in the medium and long term.

Hendryk

Banned
fhaessig said:
A french revolution which doesn't begin in Paris? Unusual! But plausible given your TL. I imagine that Lyon is bigger and more industrialised than at the same period OTL, given the previous events. Correct?
Well, technically, in OTL the 1789 revolution began in Grenoble.

I had a feeling that authoritarian rule wasn't going to last forever. So, given the title of this thread, I'm guessing that France dominates, or at least will have influence over nearly all of Europe at some point. Of course, I understand it has to be somwhat plausible..

Nice to see an update!

Well, I could see where this is going now. The Frenchmen will accuse Henri for being un-Frenchlike and start calling him by his Spanish name: Enrique. A Franco-Hispanic (Revolutionaries vs Royalists) war with fronts at the Pyrenees, the Great Plains of North America, and South China Sea. (Remember, the Philippine Islands are just across the sea from Viet-Nam.)

I think that England, Prussia, Austria, and Russia would hesitate to intervene this time around, since the last time they did so only unified the different French Factions. They'd be well to just sit and watch at the sidelines.

This is definitely going to be a major turning point. It will probably set France back a bit, but of course they will recover (remember the name of this thread!)

Hendryk

Banned
fhaessig said:
I'm not sure what exactly you are refering to. Could you provide a bit more data, please?
I was refering to the riots of 1788, which started the whole chain of events leading to the summoning of the Estates General the following year. I have here a summarized account of the events, hope nobody minds it's in French:

Depuis 1453, la ville s'enorgueillissait d'être le siège du Parlement de Dauphiné. Cette institution aux multiples prérogatives logeait dans l'actuel Palais de Justice où les diverses Cours exerçaient leurs fonctions. Entrer au sein de ce prestigieux corps de magistrat constituait l'objet de stratégies familiales ambitieuses, échafaudées sur plusieurs générations. En effet, ce statut conférait la noblesse et tous les privilèges y afférents... dont l'exemption d'impôts. Rouage de la politique royale au rôle essentiel puisque l'enregistrement des lois par ses soins conditionnait leur application dans sa juridiction, ce Parlement se voulait également l'héritier d'une tradition "indépendantiste". En effet, il était le garant des libertés delphinales, ces usages et droits propres à la province que le roi de France avait promis de respecter au moment du rattachement à la couronne des lys. C'était donc un élément majeur de la vie et de la société grenobloise (et au-delà dauphinoise), tant sur le plan idéologique qu'économique.
Lorsqu'en 1788 Louis XVI, exaspéré par les prétentions politiques grandissantes des parlementaires contre ses visées absolutistes voulut régénérer le système et séparer les pouvoirs, Grenoble entra en rébellion ouverte. Le 7 juin, la foule assaillit les troupes royales pour obliger les magistrats à rester en ville et à rouvrir le Parlement. Depuis un mois environ, le Palais ayant été fermé de force, les "Messieurs" avaient transformé les salons mondains en arènes politiques. L'hôtel de Bérulle notamment, où logeait le Premier Président, bourdonnait de débats et de libelles. L'émeute contraignit ce notable et ses confrères à désobéir au roi et à défiler de cet hôtel au Palais. Bien sûr, le cortège devait traverser la place Grenette qui était déjà la place publique où battait le coeur de la cité. Le soir, l'hôtel du Commandement d'où le duc de Clermont-Tonnerre dirigeait les troupes fut mis à sac. La construction de la place de Verdun a fait disparaître toute trace de ce bâtiment.
Naturellement, les élèves de l'ancien collège de Jésuites étaient aux premières loges et fournirent par la suite de nombreuses relations de l'évènement. Stendhal jeune (il a alors 5 ans) en donnera de son côté une vision très personnelle dans sa "Vie d'Henry Brulard". Il dit se souvenir particulièrement d'une vieille femme courant dans la rue ses souliers à la main en criant en mauvais français "Je me révorte !" (pour "je me révolte").
La fièvre retombée sans réel bain de sang, la cité fut comme morte : boutiques et ateliers fermés, magistrats prudemment retirés, méfiance et peur... Pour sortir de cet état dramatique, une réunion politique rassembla à l'hôtel de ville (l'ancien palais delphinal) des représentants de l'ensemble de la société du temps, privilégiés et non privilégiés. Les 13 et 14 juillet, un an tout juste avant cette prise de la Bastille qui est restée le symbole du déclenchement des événements révolutionnaires, ces députés demandèrent que la Nation puisse prendre en main son avenir politique. Et là s'amorce le processus qui d'assemblée en assemblée, de l'officieux à l'officiel, de Grenoble à Vizille et de la province au royaume, va aboutir aux Etats Généraux de 1789. C'est à dire à la Révolution Française.

bump...

Hey love the timeline of course, but a minor nitpick:

1775:
Treaty Of London...
Gibraltar is returned to Spain, as the French had earlier promised their allies.

1800:
The members of the Holy Alliance, following the lead of France, declare war on Britain. The minor German and Italian states are not particularly important, but Spain’s entry into the war puts the British base of Gibraltar in danger.

--
When did the British get Gibraltar back?

Absoloutley love it!!!

Lovely, really enjoy the story great work! Kepp it coming again, an excellent timeline you´ve written has kept me up all night a real pageturner. Henri gotta go, giljotin maybee?!:D What´s happening in the spanish colonies, no moves towards independence? For a while I thought you´d have Henry become king/emperor of Mexico/New Spain, could be intresting he seems to have popularity there?! Love to see Spain and France go seperate ways after the revulotion and maybee some territorialgains for england vs. a lone spain..fillipines cuba maybe like OTL US if i may suggest.:)

Anaxagoras, please start updating. I just advertised my website on my favorite webcomic (Tales of the Questor) and I may be having new readers. And I link to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.