"God Ænd Minh Riht" An Anglo-Saxon England under the Godwinson house.

¿What will be the fate of wales?

• Independent.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Independent but with Anglish influence.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Part of Angland.

Votes: 43 55.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not land, at least not this early. But I could see cities providing trade locations controlled by local guilds. Anglish woolen cloth in trade for Baltic amber or German silver for example.

Anyone else find it funny that ITTL William of Normandy will probably be remembered mostly for being some bastard who bribed the church into letting him marry his cousin?

Chapter II Sang Normand
Chapter II.

Sang Normand.

After the tragic death of William after the storm, his progeny saw themselves humiliated by the Anglish and without their strong and beloved father, whilst the king of France, allied with the English, sought their punishment.

If that wasn't sufficiently awful, Richard and Robert start fighting each other, driven by their egos. Their mother, Mathilde, intervened and elected Robert to be Duke of Normandy, which Richard accepted.

"After the humiliating and awful death of the Norman Duke, William "the Drowned Bastard", the village idiots he called sons started fighting, in the darkest moment of their house and their nation. All their army was dead, injured or far away, the economy had collapsed and the clergy were angry and offended by their corruption, not good at all. The crowning glory of this shambolic performance was the alliance of the King of France and the Anglish, who sought retribution, the Duchy of Normandy was not currently experiencing it's finest hour."
- Hughes Main, professor at Dublin University and author of the historic novel "A Deeply Sarcastic Examination of European History
."

After some years of trials and tribulations, struggle and learning the Norman brothers finally reached adulthood. Both of them were absolute beasts on the battlefield and their intelligence wasn’t low, exactly. All of them practiced bow and sword everyday.

Robert was a pious man, a good vassal and a better diplomat, which won him the respect and appreciation of his liege and avoided retaliation. Some clergymen come to his aid after he identified and arrested wicked priest and bishops.

All of them reconciliated at some point in their life, but it wasn’t a good relationship all the time. Having lots of disputes over the Duchy of Normandy, Robert named Richard chancellor and William was given some land.

All the males took part in the Crusade.

William lost an arm and while he was recovering he had a vision of his father, telling him to avenge his death and conquer his Anglish birth right…

Last edited:
Would Mathilde really have had the power to pick which of her sons was made Duke?

And why did Richard, who was still alive at this point (and wouldn't have his OTL death), get a look in as Duke. William would have only been 11 when his father died here?

Chapter III The Sun Prince
Chapter III.

The Sun Prince.

Eadmund, heir to Anglish throne and Emma, sister of the French king married in 1070, this obviously wasn’t a love marriage but a political one, fortunately for both of them, with the pass of time love grew in their hearts and both of them lived happily for most of their lives.

The day of their wedding they consummated their matrimony and nine months after, in September of 1071, a boy born.

They called him Eadmund as his father, but he will be known as the sun prince, because of his blond almost white hair and his yellow honey like eyes.

His birth was celebrated in France, Angland and Sweden, his godfather was the earl of Mercia and his aunt Gunhild.

"The delivery of the Sun Prince was not only a personal happiness to king Harold, but also a potential political tool that he will use when the proper time comes."

Ivan Vladimirovich Kornilov, historían and cómic book writer.

The proper time came ten years later when he was betrothed to Agnes of Gwynned, daughter of the king Guffrud Ap Cynan, who recovered his throne with help of some Anglish nobles who became enemies of his enemies.

The exact age of Agnes is unknown, some sources put her at twelve years old, other eight and the book "Annals of the Albionic Kings", written by prince Magnus, son of Harold II, says that she was seventeen years old.

The other two male sons of Harold were Harold and Wulf, Harold was a vengeful brute with low intelligence while Wulf was a coward who dedicated his time to play with his nephew and praying, he will be an example of pious life.

Prince Magnus married with a german noblewoman called Hildegard Von Ulm, a daughter of the local count in 1075.

Unfortunately for Angland, a war broke out against the kingdom of the Isles after some mistranslation ended in an insult against the king in 1083.

The war lasted two years and ended with Prince Eadmund blind of one eye, Harold lost his right hand and 21,642 persons died and no major benefit in land nor money was obtained.

After the war king Harold died of tuberculosis in 1086, his reign is seen as a transition one, little territorial gains were made, but in political and economic development terms his reign was marvelous, the alliance with France was the biggest insurance of Angland; with the Swedish ports open the wool and clothing industries grew exponentially, and a law liberating serfs with skill in this area assured a constant influx of manpower, in the same way was beneficial to the jewelers the constant influx of amber and to the ship makers the endless supply of timber.

He also patronized art and sciences, during his reign the book "De Sphera Mundi", the sphere of the world became the most important book alongside Plato works, the Anglish music evolved with heavy French influence and the manual arts grew in popularity in the court and the royal family.

His eternal rest place was an unorthodox one, he was buried in his small winter palace in Cornwall, the cover of his sarcophagus was made by Alfred of Kent, a experienced sculptor.

Eadmund ascended to the throne and was coronated in October as Eadmund III...

8E07EC05-5D8D-47FA-B1B8-2806766E44F5.jpeg

Eadmund the third.

Some love for the rightful king of England?
Edgar the atheling might disagree...
The Earl of Mercia was the most powerful vassal in the kingdom and was unmarried, so the king betrothed his other daughter Æthelthryth, born in late 1066, with him in 1069.
Who?
And with whom did Harold have this daughter?
The earl of Mercia - do you mean Edwin? - would have been mid-20's in 1069 and he gets betrothed to a three year old... (and quite possibly his niece!)
Henry died childless in the siege of Antioch,
Henry who? Do you mean OTL Henry I of England, fourth son of the Conqueror? He wasn't born until 1068... which given the Conqueror died 1067 in this TL, Henry wouldn't even be conceived.
alongside Plato works
Interested to know how the works of Plato end up in England before Harold II's death in 1086.

Edgar the atheling might disagree...

Who?
And with whom did Harold have this daughter?
The earl of Mercia - do you mean Edwin? - would have been mid-20's in 1069 and he gets betrothed to a three year old... (and quite possibly his niece!)

Henry who? Do you mean OTL Henry I of England, fourth son of the Conqueror? He wasn't born until 1068... which given the Conqueror died 1067 in this TL, Henry wouldn't even be conceived.

Interested to know how the works of Plato end up in England before Harold II's death in 1086.
Excuse me, but in my book says that Henry was born in 1067, so this might be a error on my sources or yours, In the case of my sources being wrong I request correct information to expand my knowledge and correct what is wrong, thank you.

Incest and endogamy is not a problem, nor marrying a girl 17 years younger, at least not to me, her mother is the first wife of Harold, if my sources are correct.
Sources? You have more than one source claiming that Harold has a daughter Æthelthryth by his first wife Edith 'Swan-neck'?
Harold had two daughters by 'Swan-neck', Gytha and Gunnhild. None of Harold's five children by his first wife were born after 1060 - and probably some time before that - which suggests that by 1066, Edith's childbearing years were behind her... Harold's marriage to Ealdgyth of Mercia in 1066 resulted in the (OTL posthumous birth of the) twins Harold and Ulf (although it must be noted that there are some differences of opinion whether Ealdgyth produced twins ie Ulf should be counted as sixth child of 'Swan-neck').
Sources? What are your sources that Old English society practised endogamy? Marrying a woman 17 years or younger was not out of the ordinary... However incest would be a problem for Earl Edwin of Mercia. Just as well it is not an issue here.
Excuse me, but in my book says that Henry was born in 1067, so this might be a error on my sources or yours, In the case of my sources being wrong I request correct information to expand my knowledge and correct what is wrong, thank you.
The Worcester (or D) manuscript of the ASC: At this Easter the king came to Winchester - and then [1068] Easter was on 23 March. And soon after that the Lady Matilda came here to the land, and Archbishop Aldred consecrated her queen in Westminster on Whit Sunday.
If one accepts that Henry was born in England it can only be if Matilda was in England and her coronation in 1068 was her first visit. The footnotes on Henry's Wikipedia page has one historian suggesting 1069.
Some priest he patronized translated them into Anglish, he knew of their existence while talking with the french king.
Hmmm, not impossible but highly improbable. Try the renaissance...

The Worcester (or D) manuscript of the ASC: At this Easter the king came to Winchester - and then [1068] Easter was on 23 March. And soon after that the Lady Matilda came here to the land, and Archbishop Aldred consecrated her queen in Westminster on Whit Sunday.
Hey, thanks a lot for contributing in both the thread and the improvement of my knowledge, then I think my book have some things wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.