Get Animated!: The History of Animax in the United States

It actually got introduced as a programming block IOTL starting in 2000. That's actually where I got the inspiration.

What are the chances of some of Sony's other channels being brought over to America, such as AXN, Sony Entertainment Television, FearNet and even Kids Station, which I'm surprised you didn't bring THAT one over first?

What are the chances of some of Sony's other channels being brought over to America, such as AXN, Sony Entertainment Television, FearNet and even Kids Station, which I'm surprised you didn't bring THAT one over first?
Let's just say that only AXN and maybe FearNet got brought over to America, since SET were India-heavy and Kids Station clashing with Animax

Let's just say that only AXN and maybe FearNet got brought over to America, since SET were India-heavy and Kids Station clashing with Animax
Well, FearNet DID exist IOTL before being merged into Chiller after the Comcast/NBCUniversal merger.

And I guess Columbia's shows could just air on USA Network and Sci-Fi Channel.

AXN could be the male network, then after the Comcast merger, then G4 could go back to their roots as a nerd's channel.

I’m thinking Sony could join USA Networks. Kids Station’s niche would be filled by Animax, more or less. Same with SET and USA. Sony wouldn’t be involved with FearNet, and their programming would have gone to Chiller instead. AXN may or may not show up.

Will any of the other kids channels like Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network be covered in this timeline? I’ll be interesting to see how they are changed by the existence of Animax.

Will any of the other kids channels like Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network be covered in this timeline? I’ll be interesting to see how they are changed by the existence of Animax.
Well, there will be network swaps.

Also, I'm still wondering the fate of Toonami ITTL since they don't have Naruto and could lose out on One Piece merely because of Toei's partnership with Animax.....

AYO @Tacomaster LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND!!!!!!!

Can we have them and these other characters as mascots of Animax?

AYO @Tacomaster LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND!!!!!!!

Can we have them and these other characters as mascots of Animax?
Maybe add another face called "Py"?

2003 PART FIVE - Year's End
Animax Promo for "Monster Monday" - October 2003

(Fade in on a zoom through a live-action haunted forest.)

Narrator: "Want to meet some REAL monsters? Don't check the bed, don't check the closet... check Animax every Monday night! It's Animax's Monster Monday!"

(Transition to a montage of show clips)

Narrator: "First, get ready for the US premiere of Moville Mysteries, starring Malcolm in the Middle's "Frankenstein" Muniz! Then, who you gonna call when the Ghostbusters are late? It's the Phantom Investigators! Then, the blockbuster hit rises from the dead and onto TV, with The Mummy! Then, to close us out, it's the Extreme Ghostbusters!"

(Cut to Daemona Prune from Phantom Investigators, with new dialogue on reused footage)

Daemona: "Well, it's about time you showed up!"

(Cut to an endboard.)

Narrator: "Monster Mondays! Monday nights at 8, all October!"

(Cut to the Animax logo, Frankenstein style- side bolts and all.)

Narrator: "Only on Animax! Get re-animated!"

(Lightning strikes the logo, ending the promo.)

~~~

Animax (short, lazily typed by me) promo for "Bob and Margaret" - October 2002

"He's a dentist. She's a chiropodist. Together, they're perfect for each other. The only problem? Everybody else. Bob and Margaret! Weeknights at 11. Only on Animax. Get animated."

~~~

Schedules for USA and Sci-Fi's Animax Blocks - October 2003

WEEKDAYS (launches in October)USASci-Fi
3:00 PMTotally Tooned InTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
3:30 PMInspector GadgetExtreme Ghostbusters
4:00 PMThe Cramp TwinsSailor Moon
4:30 PMFat Dog MendozaJackie Chan Adventures

WEEKEND MORNINGSSaturday (Sci-Fi)Sunday (USA)
8:00 AMThe Real GhostbustersTotally Tooned In
8:30 AMThe TransformersInspector Gadget
9:00 AMTeenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesAdventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
9:30 AMSailor MoonThe Cramp Twins
10:00 AMJackie Chan AdventuresFat Dog Mendoza
10:30 AMExtreme GhostbustersD'Myna Leagues
11:00 AMThe MummyMoville Mysteries
11:30 AMGodzilla: The SeriesPhantom Investigators

WEEKEND PRIMETIMESaturday (Sci-Fi)Sunday (USA)
8:00 PMSpider-Man: The New Animated SeriesDilbert
8:30 PMStarship Troopers: The Animated SeriesBob and Margaret
9:00 PMRurouni KenshinThe Critic
9:30 PMCyborg 009Sammy
~~~

Schedule for Animax's "New-Vember" Wednesday premiere block - November 2003

7:00 PMThe Cramp Twins
7:30 PMD'Myna Leagues
8:00 PMAstro Boy
8:30 PMGo! Cartoons
9:00 PMEscape from Jurassic Park
9:30 PMNaruto

~~~

"We had been searching for the right combination of series to launch a preschool block on Animax for a while, but without the rights to "Dragon Tales", we felt we couldn't do it justice. So we did what any sensible network would do and struck a deal with PBS - they get to keep the free-to-air rights, we get to keep the cable rights, and everyone's happy. Well, except for maybe the dragons, who now have to deal with twice the exposure. But hey, they're tough, right?" - Margaret Loesch, January 2008

~~~

ANIMAX ANNOUNCES CHANGES FOR 2004 - December 5, 2003 (press release)

Animax, the animation channel co-owned by Sony Pictures and Universal Studios, announced today that it will launch a new morning preschool block and a new teenage block, as well as new and returning series, in January 2004.

The new preschool block will run from 9 AM to 12 noon each weekday morning and will include classic and newer series such as "David the Gnome", "Rupert", "Muppet Babies", "Sitting Ducks", "Rainbow Fish", and a new series based on "Stuart Little". In addition, Animax has made a deal with PBS to share the rights to "Dragon Tales", which will air on both Animax's preschool block and PBS's own kids network.

At the same time, Animax is introducing a new block for teenagers from 9 PM to 11 PM every night. This block will replace the last hour of kid primetime and the first hour of adult programming, and will include popular series such as "Rurouni Kenshin", "Naruto", and "Spider-Man".

"Animax is excited to expand our programming lineup with new blocks for both preschoolers and teenagers," said Margaret Loesch, president of Animax. "We're confident that our new series and returning favorites will appeal to audiences of all ages."

Other changes coming to Animax in January 2004 include the return of "Fat Dog Mendoza" for its second season with new episodes, and the addition of "Rescue Heroes" to the educational Brain Food block, replacing "Toonimals".

Later in the year, Animax will debut many new and returning series, including original series "Phineas and Ferb" and "Monster by Mistake", two original video game-based series, "Spyro the Dragon" and "Crash Bandicoot", the original series "Skeleton Key", and the anime "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Sgt. Frog", and "Super Milk-chan". Adult viewers can look forward to the debut of the CGI original comedy "Tripping the Rift", new season of "Dilbert", and "House of Horrors", a trilogy of horror-comedy shorts. The month of November will see a whopping FOUR series debuts for adults- Marvel-based "The Incredible Hulk", based on the success of "Spider-Man", urban sitcom "The Boondocks", stop-motion sketch comedy "Robot Chicken", and comedy anime "Super Milk-chan".

Animax has reached 35 million households by the end of 2003, and it is determined to continue providing top-quality programming to its viewers.

Last edited:
Animax Promo for "Monster Monday" - October 2003

(Fade in on a zoom through a live-action haunted forest.)

Narrator: "Want to meet some REAL monsters? Don't check the bed, don't check the closet... check Animax every Monday night! It's Animax's Monster Monday!"

(Transition to a montage of show clips)

Narrator: "First, get ready for the US premiere of Moville Mysteries, starring Malcolm in the Middle's "Frankenstein" Muniz! Then, who you gonna call when the Ghostbusters are late? It's the Phantom Investigators! Then, the blockbuster hit rises from the dead and onto TV, with The Mummy! Then, to close us out, it's the Extreme Ghostbusters!"

(Cut to Daemona Prune from Phantom Investigators, with new dialogue on reused footage)

Daemona: "Well, it's about time you showed up!"

(Cut to an endboard.)

Narrator: "Monster Mondays! Monday nights at 8, all October!"

(Cut to the Animax logo, Frankenstein style- side bolts and all.)

Narrator: "Only on Animax! Get re-animated!"

(Lightning strikes the logo, ending the promo.)

~~~
Nice. Would Moville have new episodes just for this month?
Animax (short, lazily typed by me) promo for "Bob and Margaret" - October 2002

"He's a dentist. She's a chiropodist. Together, they're perfect for each other. The only problem? Everybody else. Bob and Margaret! Weeknights at 11. Only on Animax. Get animated."

~~~
It does it's job to some extent.
Schedules for USA and Sci-Fi's Animax Blocks - October 2003

WEEKDAYS (launches in October)USASci-Fi
3:00 PMTotally Tooned InTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
3:30 PMInspector GadgetExtreme Ghostbusters
4:00 PMThe Cramp TwinsSailor Moon
4:30 PMFat Dog MendozaJackie Chan Adventures

WEEKEND MORNINGSSaturday (Sci-Fi)Sunday (USA)
8:00 AMThe Real GhostbustersTotally Tooned In
8:30 AMThe TransformersInspector Gadget
9:00 AMTeenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesAdventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
9:30 AMSailor MoonThe Cramp Twins
10:00 AMJackie Chan AdventuresFat Dog Mendoza
10:30 AMExtreme GhostbustersD'Myna Leagues
11:00 AMThe MummyMoville Mysteries
11:30 AMGodzilla: The SeriesPhantom Investigators

WEEKEND PRIMETIMESaturday (Sci-Fi)Sunday (USA)
8:00 PMSpider-Man: The New Animated SeriesDilbert
8:30 PMStarship Troopers: The Animated SeriesBob and Margaret
9:00 PMRurouni KenshinThe Critic
9:30 PMCyborg 009Sammy
~~~
Cool, but I don't think Fat Dog Mendoza and The Cramp Twins have enough episodes for a weekday strip yet.
Schedule for Animax's "New-Vember" Wednesday premiere block - November 2003

7:00 PMThe Cramp Twins
7:30 PMD'Myna Leagues
8:00 PMAstro Boy
8:30 PMGo! Cartoons
9:00 PMEscape from Jurassic Park
9:30 PMNaruto

~~~
AWESOME!, but why is Cramp Twins and D'Myna Leagues airing premieres in primetime instead of their original afternoon slot?

And cool, I actually don't even mind Naruto being the last show on the lineup.

But how will TTL's GO! Cartoons look like?
"We had been searching for the right combination of series to launch a preschool block on Animax for a while, but without the rights to "Dragon Tales", we felt we couldn't do it justice. So we did what any sensible network would do and struck a deal with PBS - they get to keep the free-to-air rights, we get to keep the cable rights, and everyone's happy. Well, except for maybe the dragons, who now have to deal with twice the exposure. But hey, they're tough, right?" - Margaret Loesch, January 2008

~~~

ANIMAX ANNOUNCES CHANGES FOR 2004 - December 5, 2003 (press release)

Animax, the animation channel co-owned by Sony Pictures and Universal Studios, announced today that it will launch a new morning preschool block and a new teenage block, as well as new and returning series, in January 2004.

The new preschool block will run from 9 AM to 12 noon each weekday morning and will include classic and newer series such as "David the Gnome", "Rupert", "Pecola", "Sitting Ducks", "Rainbow Fish", and a new series based on "Stuart Little". In addition, Animax has made a deal with PBS to share the rights to "Dragon Tales", which will air on both Animax's preschool block and PBS's own kids network.

At the same time, Animax is introducing a new block for teenagers from 9 PM to 11 PM every night. This block will replace the last hour of kid primetime and the first hour of adult programming, and will include popular series such as "Rurouni Kenshin", "Naruto", and "Spider-Man".

"Animax is excited to expand our programming lineup with new blocks for both preschoolers and teenagers," said Margaret Loesch, president of Animax. "We're confident that our new series and returning favorites will appeal to audiences of all ages."

Other changes coming to Animax in January 2004 include the return of "Fat Dog Mendoza" for its second season with new episodes, and the addition of "Rescue Heroes" to the educational Brain Food block, replacing "Toonimals".
Cool!
Later in the year, Animax will debut many new and returning series, including original series "Phineas and Ferb" and
HOW DID ANIMAX GET THIS?????????
"Monster by Mistake",
Is it this series?
two original video game-based series, "Spyro the Dragon" and "Crash Bandicoot", the original series "Skeleton Key",
Can't wait.
and the anime "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Sgt. Frog",
YEAH!!!!!!

NOW WE'RE IN THE BIG LEAGUES WITH THE BIG BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, what will Adult Swim and Cartoon Network acquire in place of FMA and Naruto?
and "Super Milk-chan".
Which dub? The "straight" dub that Adult Swim aired, or the gag dub that should have aired?

Although you may need to add some bleeps in the excessive swearing, but I think it'll make it funnier!
Adult viewers can look forward to the debut of the CGI original comedy "Tripping the Rift", new season of "Dilbert", and "House of Horrors", a trilogy of horror-comedy shorts. The month of November will see a whopping FOUR series debuts for adults- Marvel-based "The Incredible Hulk", based on the success of "Spider-Man", urban sitcom "The Boondocks", stop-motion sketch comedy "Robot Chicken", and comedy anime "Super Milk-chan".
NOW ADULT CARTOON FANS ARE EATING GOOD!!!!
Animax has reached 35 million households by the end of 2003, and it is determined to continue providing top-quality programming to its viewers.
Nice! How many more do you think it'll grow in?

And can we get a schedule for the full channel around this time period?

Overall, you did amazing!

And I was starting to wonder whether this TL was already dead........

Nice. Would Moville have new episodes just for this month?

It does it's job to some extent.

Cool, but I don't think Fat Dog Mendoza and The Cramp Twins have enough episodes for a weekday strip yet.

AWESOME!, but why is Cramp Twins and D'Myna Leagues airing premieres in primetime instead of their original afternoon slot?

And cool, I actually don't even mind Naruto being the last show on the lineup.

But how will TTL's GO! Cartoons look like?

Cool!

HOW DID ANIMAX GET THIS?????????

Is it this series?

Can't wait.

YEAH!!!!!!

NOW WE'RE IN THE BIG LEAGUES WITH THE BIG BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, what will Adult Swim and Cartoon Network acquire in place of FMA and Naruto?

Which dub? The "straight" dub that Adult Swim aired, or the gag dub that should have aired?

Although you may need to add some bleeps in the excessive swearing, but I think it'll make it funnier!

NOW ADULT CARTOON FANS ARE EATING GOOD!!!!

Nice! How many more do you think it'll grow in?

And can we get a schedule for the full channel around this time period?

Overall, you did amazing!

And I was starting to wonder whether this TL was already dead........
Well, what do you think?