Get Animated!: The History of Animax in the United States

2003 PART THREE - Jumpin' July
Animax promo for Casper and Friends - July 2003

(Open on a CG haunted house. The door opens, and a CGI version of Casper the Friendly Ghost flies out.)

CASPER: "Don't be scared! It's just me, Casper! And I wanna introduce you to all my friends! Come on!"

(Casper rushes in, and we follow him through the door into darkness. Fade in to a montage of classic Harveytoons, with clips corresponding to the characters mentioned)

CASPER (V.O.): "There's Little Audrey, a little girl with a big imagination... Richie Rich, a little boy with a big bank account... and Baby Huey, a baby duck who's anything BUT little! There's also Herman and Katnip, who take the classic cat-and-mouse chase to new heights! Hold on, I think I'm forgetting someone... oh yeah! Me!"

(Cut to an endboard)

CASPER (V.O.): "Casper and Friends! Every morning at 10!"

(Cut to the Animax logo)

CASPER (V.O.): "Only on Animax! Get animated!"

(The Animax logo "explodes" into a bunch of bats, ending the promo)

~~~

Animax promo for the... changes regarding Totally Tooned In - July 2003

(Open on a montage of UPA and Screen Gems cartoons)

NARRATOR: "We at Animax would like to announce a few changes regarding the program Totally Tooned In. Starting in-"

(Cut to Woody Woodpecker, through new animation)

WOODY: "Let me take it from here!"

(Cut to a montage of clips, corresponding to what is mentioned)

WOODY (V.O.): "First things first, that old Totally Tooned In show? Gone. Sorta. It's getting a newer, more accurate name- Mr. Magoo and His Crew! But for those who like the name Totally Tooned In for some reason, you're in luck! Because we've got a new show ALSO named Totally Tooned In, in my old primetime slot! Don't worry, I'll still be there, as will Chilly and Andy, and the rest. But so will Mr. Magoo, Casper, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog, Garfield, Richie Rich, my lovely ladyfriend Winnie, and more! And I'll let you in on a secret... we even smuggled in some shorts featuring the big guys! You know... the rabbit, the duck, the sailor... THOSE big guys! All curated by yours truly! So what are you waiting for? TOON your TV here!"

(Cut to an endboard)

WOODY (V.O.): "Mr. Magoo and His Crew, every morning at 8:30! AND the all new Totally Tooned In, every night at 7!"

(Cut to the Animax logo)

WOODY (V.O.): "Only on Animax!"

(Woody, with new animation, pops out of the logo)

WOODY (V.O.): "Get animated!"

(Woody laughs his trademark laugh, ending the promo)

~~~

FORMAT OF THE NEW "TOTALLY TOONED IN"

Basically, the series is a collection of classic shorts and more modern shorts starring classic characters, both theatrical and TV. Hosting the affair is Woody Woodpecker, in his 1999 iteration (through some new animation made for the show, albeit recycled to heck and back), voiced once again by Billy West, although instead of using West's laugh from the 1999 series, Woody's laugh is instead provided through archive recordings of Mel Blanc, Woody's original voice actor. Woody presents the cartoons, shows off interesting cartoon fun facts, debunks rumors surrounding the toons, and makes wisecracks all the while. The following Animax shows are used for their shorts:
  • The Woody Woodpecker Show
  • Casper and Friends
  • Mr. Magoo and His Crew
  • Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
  • The Underdog Show
  • The New Woody Woodpecker Show
  • The Spooktacular New Adventures of Casper
  • Garfield and Friends
  • Public domain shorts with famous characters such as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Popeye, etc.

~~~

Animax promo for PaRappa the Rapper - July 2003

(Open on a montage of clips from the show)

NARRATOR: "He's hip. He's hop. He's pretty fly for a dog guy. He's PaRappa the Rapper, star of the hit video game. But is he really comin' to Animax?"

PARAPPA: "I gotta believe!"

NARRATOR: "Believe it. This dog is down with it."

(Cut to the narrator [of this specific promo] who is revealed to be MOTHERFUCKING SNOOP DOGG.)

SNOOP DOGG: "And I should know. I'm a bit of a 'Dogg' myself."

(Cut to an endboard)

SNOOP DOGG (V.O.): "PaRappa the Rapper. Wednesday nights at 8:30."

(Cut to the Animax logo on a vinyl record)

SNOOP DOGG (V.O.): "Only on Animax. Get animated, yo."

(PaRappa's hand appears and moves the record back and forth, producing a "record scratch" noise and ending the promo.)

~~~

Intro to "Gladiator Academy", premiering July 2003

~~~

Animax promo for the world premiere of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series - June 2003

(Open on a spiderweb shooting toward the camera, transitioning to a montage of show clips, which sometimes transition through "windows" in a large spiderweb.)

PETER PARKER (V.O.): "You know my story. At least, you think you do. I know yours, too. Sitting around, watching TV, wishing you had superhuman powers of some kind. Dreaming of fighting bad guys, saving the world, getting the girl, and being forever remembered as a hero. But here's a little piece of advice: If you're gonna give all this superhero stuff a shot, try finishing college first. ...eh, just watch. You'll see what I mean."

(Cut to an endboard)

PETER PARKER (V.O.): "Spider-Man: Animax's first original series. Premieres Wednesday July 9th at 10 [PM]."

(Cut to the Animax logo)

PETER PARKER (V.O.): "Only on Animax. Get animated.)

(A spiderweb latches onto the Animax logo and snatches it away, ending the promo.)

~~~

Introductory speech by Stan Lee on the world premiere of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series - July 9, 2003, 10 PM

"Face front, true believers! It's me, the one and only Stan "The Man" Lee, welcoming you to the world premiere of Animax's first original series, Spider-Man! You know me as the guy who created that wonderful wall-crawler himself. And as Spidey's papa, it's always a thrill for me to see this iconic character come to life in new and exciting ways. And let me tell you, this new show is no exception. You've seen him in comics, in cartoons, in movies, in video games, and even in toys. But this is a version of the old webhead like you've never seen before. Two words- 3D animation. Nuff said.

Now, this is the part where I'd introduce the plot of the show. How Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider and, after the loss of his Uncle Ben, uses his new powers to fight crime as Spider-Man. But you know all that by heart! At least, I hope you do. So let's fast forward a bit. He's faced Dr. Octopus. He's faced the Green Goblin. He's even faced that rabid newspaper editor, J. Jonah Jameson! But now, Peter Parker faces his most daunting challenge yet- college. But I don't wanna waste any more of your time, so get ready, get set, and "get animated" for the world premiere of Spider-Man! Right here on Animax! Excelsior!"

Last edited:
I'm surprised by how well the promos are so far.

Particular appreciation goes to having Snoop Dogg promote Parappa, the Stan Lee introduction, and especially sneaking in Looney Tunes and Popeye shorts in the new Totally Tooned In! anthology.

As for the last one, you can BET I'll be watching it.

Particular appreciation goes to having Snoop Dogg promote Parappa, the Stan Lee introduction, and especially sneaking in Looney Tunes and Popeye shorts in the new Totally Tooned In! anthology.

Yep. I did most of the promos myself. For Snoop Dogg, I figured, "PaRappa is a dog and a rapper. Snoop is a rapper and his last name seems to be Dogg. It works out." As for the Stan Lee introduction, since this is both a Marvel show and the world premiere of Animax's first original, I felt that this momentous occasion should be celebrated by none other than a greeting from Smilin' Stan himself!

Don't be too impressed, however... I used ChatGPT for some ideas, and reused the non-Stan Lee promo for Spider-Man from the ITTL MTV promo.

Yep. I did most of the promos myself. For Snoop Dogg, I figured, "PaRappa is a dog and a rapper. Snoop is a rapper and his last name seems to be Dogg. It works out." As for the Stan Lee introduction, since this is both a Marvel show and the world premiere of Animax's first original, I felt that this momentous occasion should be celebrated by none other than a greeting from Smilin' Stan himself!

Don't be too impressed, however... I used ChatGPT for some ideas, and reused the non-Stan Lee promo for Spider-Man from the ITTL MTV promo.
Well, that's still worth loving.

Animax promo for Casper and Friends - July 2003

(Open on a CG haunted house. The door opens, and a CGI version of Casper the Friendly Ghost flies out.)

CASPER: "Don't be scared! It's just me, Casper! And I wanna introduce you to all my friends! Come on!"

(Casper rushes in, and we follow him through the door into darkness. Fade in to a montage of classic Harveytoons, with clips corresponding to the characters mentioned)

CASPER (V.O.): "There's Little Audrey, a little girl with a big imagination... Richie Rich, a little boy with a big bank account... and Baby Huey, a baby duck who's anything BUT little! There's also Herman and Katnip, who take the classic cat-and-mouse chase to new heights! Hold on, I think I'm forgetting someone... oh yeah! Me!"

(Cut to an endboard)

CASPER (V.O.): "Casper and Friends! Every morning at 10!"

(Cut to the Animax logo)

CASPER (V.O.): "Only on Animax! Get animated!"

(The Animax logo "explodes" into a bunch of bats, ending the promo)

~~~
Nice.
Animax promo for the... changes regarding Totally Tooned In - July 2003

(Open on a montage of UPA and Screen Gems cartoons)

NARRATOR: "We at Animax would like to announce a few changes regarding the program Totally Tooned In. Starting in-"

(Cut to Woody Woodpecker, through new animation)

WOODY: "Let me take it from here!"

(Cut to a montage of clips, corresponding to what is mentioned)

WOODY (V.O.): "First things first, that old Totally Tooned In show? Gone. Sorta. It's getting a newer, more accurate name- Mr. Magoo and His Crew! But for those who like the name Totally Tooned In for some reason, you're in luck! Because we've got a new show ALSO named Totally Tooned In, in my old primetime slot! Don't worry, I'll still be there, as will Chilly and Andy, and the rest. But so will Mr. Magoo, Casper, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog, Garfield, Richie Rich, my lovely ladyfriend Winnie, and more! And I'll let you in on a secret... we even smuggled in some shorts featuring the big guys! You know... the rabbit, the duck, the sailor... THOSE big guys! All curated by yours truly! So what are you waiting for? TOON your TV here!"

(Cut to an endboard)

WOODY (V.O.): "Mr. Magoo and His Crew, every morning at 8:30! AND the all new Totally Tooned In, every night at 7!"

(Cut to the Animax logo)

WOODY (V.O.): "Only on Animax!"

(Woody, with new animation, pops out of the logo)

WOODY (V.O.): "Get animated!"

(Woody laughs his trademark laugh, ending the promo)

~~~
Welp, that's surely gonna be.......special.......
FORMAT OF THE NEW "TOTALLY TOONED IN"

Basically, the series is a collection of classic shorts and more modern shorts starring classic characters, both theatrical and TV. Hosting the affair is Woody Woodpecker, in his 1999 iteration (through some new animation made for the show, albeit recycled to heck and back), voiced once again by Billy West, although instead of using West's laugh from the 1999 series, Woody's laugh is instead provided through archive recordings of Mel Blanc, Woody's original voice actor. Woody presents the cartoons, shows off interesting cartoon fun facts, debunks rumors surrounding the toons, and makes wisecracks all the while. The following Animax shows are used for their shorts:
  • The Woody Woodpecker Show
  • Casper and Friends
  • Mr. Magoo and His Crew
  • Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
  • The Underdog Show
  • The New Woody Woodpecker Show
  • The Spooktacular New Adventures of Casper
  • Garfield and Friends
  • Public domain shorts with famous characters such as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Popeye, etc.

~~~
Ok.
Animax promo for PaRappa the Rapper - July 2003

(Open on a montage of clips from the show)

NARRATOR: "He's hip. He's hop. He's pretty fly for a dog guy. He's PaRappa the Rapper, star of the hit video game. But is he really comin' to Animax?"

PARAPPA: "I gotta believe!"

NARRATOR: "Believe it. This dog is down with it."
Hell yeah PaRappa is!
(Cut to the narrator [of this specific promo] who is revealed to be MOTHERFUCKING SNOOP DOGG.)

SNOOP DOGG: "And I should know. I'm a bit of a 'Dogg' myself."

(Cut to an endboard)

SNOOP DOGG (V.O.): "PaRappa the Rapper. Wednesday nights at 8:30."

(Cut to the Animax logo on a vinyl record)

SNOOP DOGG (V.O.): "Only on Animax. Get animated, yo."

(PaRappa's hand appears and moves the record back and forth, producing a "record scratch" noise and ending the promo.)

~~~
HOLY...WHAT THE.......HOW'D YOU GET HIM TO DO A PROMO???????

My reaction in 25 secs.....
Intro to "Gladiator Academy", premiering July 2003

~~~
Cool.
Animax promo for the world premiere of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series - June 2003

(Open on a spiderweb shooting toward the camera, transitioning to a montage of show clips, which sometimes transition through "windows" in a large spiderweb.)

PETER PARKER (V.O.): "You know my story. At least, you think you do. I know yours, too. Sitting around, watching TV, wishing you had superhuman powers of some kind. Dreaming of fighting bad guys, saving the world, getting the girl, and being forever remembered as a hero. But here's a little piece of advice: If you're gonna give all this superhero stuff a shot, try finishing college first. ...eh, just watch. You'll see what I mean."

(Cut to an endboard)

PETER PARKER (V.O.): "Spider-Man: Animax's first original series. Premieres Wednesday July 9th at 10 [PM]."

(Cut to the Animax logo)

PETER PARKER (V.O.): "Only on Animax. Get animated.)

(A spiderweb latches onto the Animax logo and snatches it away, ending the promo.)

~~~

Introductory speech by Stan Lee on the world premiere of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series - July 9, 2003, 10 PM

"Face front, true believers! It's me, the one and only Stan "The Man" Lee, welcoming you to the world premiere of Animax's first original series, Spider-Man! You know me as the guy who created that wonderful wall-crawler himself. And as Spidey's papa, it's always a thrill for me to see this iconic character come to life in new and exciting ways. And let me tell you, this new show is no exception. You've seen him in comics, in cartoons, in movies, in video games, and even in toys. But this is a version of the old webhead like you've never seen before. Two words- 3D animation. Nuff said.

Now, this is the part where I'd introduce the plot of the show. How Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider and, after the loss of his Uncle Ben, uses his new powers to fight crime as Spider-Man. But you know all that by heart! At least, I hope you do. So let's fast forward a bit. He's faced Dr. Octopus. He's faced the Green Goblin. He's even faced that rabid newspaper editor, J. Jonah Jameson! But now, Peter Parker faces his most daunting challenge yet- college. But I don't wanna waste any more of your time, so get ready, get set, and "get animated" for the world premiere of Spider-Man! Right here on Animax! Excelsior!"
That is simply beautiful!

Me too!

I think the promos help make this TL more special!
Nice.
Oh.
Well, that's still worth loving.
That's what she said...............

But seriously, it's still nice that you tried.

Not too likely… Animax doesn’t really do permanent branded blocks.
Not even sure if next year’s preschool block should have a name…

Not too likely… Animax doesn’t really do permanent branded blocks.
Not even sure if next year’s preschool block should have a name…
Oh.....

Well, that's certainly a different approach, but viewers should be able to figure out.....

But is there any reasons Sony and/or Universal decided not to do blocks?

But is there any reasons Sony and/or Universal decided not to do blocks?
"I don't think we need to create branded blocks like Nick Jr. or Adult Swim. We offer quality programming for all ages and interests, and we don't limit ourselves to one specific demographic." - Margaret Loesch

"I don't think we need to create branded blocks like Nick Jr. or Adult Swim. We offer quality programming for all ages and interests, and we don't limit ourselves to one specific demographic." - Margaret Loesch
Well, that's a good and understandable reason.

Can't wait for the next update!