Geronimo : What if Osama Bin Laden was killed prior to 9/11?

Who will win the Republican Nomination?

• Dick Cheney

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • John McCain

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • Jon Huntsman

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Rick Santorum

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters

ahmedali

Banned
Honestly, I congratulate the owner of the schedule for his wonderful work and realistic portrayal of the world without September 11

I think that without invading Iraq, it would cause butterflies in my family and I would be born in Iraq instead of my country of origin Yemen

(Because my parents will not leave Iraq and return to my father's country of origin)

Regarding popular culture, might a different point of difference make Robert Kierman's The Walking Dead a little different?

Or make the Grand Theft Auto series different

As for the 2008 recession, I think it wouldn't be as strong as OTL without the anti-terror spending and the Democrat might

A less strong recession may mean that the Arab Spring does not occur or is less widespread and is limited to Tunisia

(Not common in Egypt, Syria and Iraq)

Were the negotiations between Syria and Israel over the Golan similar to OTL, or were they successful here? It was said that Israel almost returned 99 percent of the Golan to Syria

Is the Nepalese royal massacre still happening? Or was the crown prince arrested before anything was done?

Honestly, I congratulate the owner of the schedule for his wonderful work and realistic portrayal of the world without September 11

I think that without invading Iraq, it would cause butterflies in my family and I would be born in Iraq instead of my country of origin Yemen

(Because my parents will not leave Iraq and return to my father's country of origin)

Regarding popular culture, might a different point of difference make Robert Kierman's The Walking Dead a little different?

As for the 2008 recession, I think it wouldn't be as strong as OTL without the anti-terror spending and the Democrat might

A less strong recession may mean that the Arab Spring does not occur or is less widespread and is limited to Tunisia

Were the negotiations between Syria and Israel over the Golan similar to OTL, or were they successful here? It was said that Israel almost returned 99 percent of the Golan to Syria

Is the Nepalese royal massacre still happening? Or was the crown prince arrested before anything was done?
I do wonder how different all of lives would be without 9/11 happening.

My life honestly wouldn't change all that much, at least for the first decade or so anyway (born 1998 shortly before the POD). I do think some things might change starting in the late 2000s with the Great Recession hopefully not being as it was in OTL. If the Great Recession isn't as terrible, my parents might have a little extra money. Apart from that, I have no idea what else would change in a world without 9/11.

My life honestly wouldn't change all that much, at least for the first decade or so anyway (born 1998 shortly before the POD). I do think some things might change starting in the late 2000s with the Great Recession hopefully not being as it was in OTL. If the Great Recession isn't as terrible, my parents might have a little extra money. Apart from that, I have no idea what else would change in a world without 9/11.
For me I was born after the POD in 2001.
However my parents married 3 years before the POD and were always trying to have children so it is very probable that I’d have a TTL “brother” who might be similar to me in personality/looks

ahmedali

Banned

I was born after pod (in 2004) but my parents have been living in Iraq since 1996 until 2003 so I might be born early and born in iraq

Especially since they wanted one son

But the Iraqi side of my family will be more prominent in me

I think that the Arab Spring will still happen as there were a number of factors behind including environmental problems in places such as Syria also in Egypt IIRC the populace were getting sick and tired of their raging dictator Hosni Mubarak (He was 82 when he was deposed). Also with no Iraqi invasion we won't see the arias of ISIS/ISIL.

ahmedali

Banned
I think that the Arab Spring will still happen as there were a number of factors behind including environmental problems in places such as Syria also in Egypt IIRC the populace were getting sick and tired of their raging dictator Hosni Mubarak (He was 82 when he was deposed). Also with no Iraqi invasion we won't see the arias of ISIS/ISIL.
Primarily economic reasons (the Arab will not care more about democracy than his stomach, and if the Arab dictator gives him a decent standard of living, there is no need for revolution)

The revolution against Ben Ali is due to the recession that hit the Tunisian economy because of the recession, not because Ben Ali is a tyrant.

This means that without the Arab Spring, Syria will take back the Golan and recognize Israel, and that may happen even sooner

(The Israelis said they were close to settling negotiations and returning 99% of the Golan when Syria erupted into civil war.)

If we assume that the Arab Spring will continue, it will not spread in Egypt and Syria, but will remain exclusively in Tunisia

(Without the invasion of Iraq, political Islam will not be strengthened in Egypt and Syria, and their economy will not weaken, and Hezbollah is much weaker thanks to Iraq that is hostile to Iran, and therefore it may collapse and disintegrate by 2006)

ahmedali

Banned
That would be good because Hezbollah is a serious blight and threat to both Lebanon and Israel.
Also, Israel will return the Golan to Assad, and therefore Syria will recognize Israel as well

As for Lebanon, Hezbollah is much weaker and may not survive after 2006 without Iranian support through Iraq

And butterflies, Rafik Hariri may survive the bombing of his convoy in 2005, and thus the government will remain effective and not be paralyzed, as is currently happening, and Lebanon may recognize Israel if the maritime borders are settled early.

In both cases, Israel is better than OTL and the weaker support for Hamas means no Gaza war in 2009

Thus, Mauritania, Qatar, Bahrain, Venezuela and Bolivia do not sever their relations with Israel and may encourage Indonesia to recognize Israel and a previous Moroccan recognition of Israel

Consequently, Israel itself is more trustworthy and more moderate towards the Palestinians

ahmedali

Banned
That would also mean that Netanyahu is not in any position of power as IMO he's been a big obstacle to the peace process with the Palestinians.
By 2022, only Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Algeria, Malaysia, Brunei and Bangladesh will not recognize Israel.

(Libya may recognize Israel because Gaddafi is a very strange man and may try to advance his proposal of one Israeli state between Arabs and Jews, Tunisia under Ben Ali may recognize Israel as well)

But Hezbollah will be dissolved by 2006, and Hamas is very weak, so Israel's image has not been severely damaged by the Gaza war.

So the Middle East is better but still not popular (mostly totalitarian countries except Morocco, Kuwait and Jordan)

Yes, no, Netanyahu, and therefore the Israeli democracy that they have bragged about for seventy years will not be sabotaged

Effects on other parts of the world are unknown

Deleted member 145219

There is an economic argument that the Iraq War (and probably Afghanistan too) played a key role in triggering the 2008 Recession, if not as as the primary factor than as an aggravating one.

I think the Housing Bubble still pops — but without costly wars in the Middle East, things aren’t as severe. Maybe President Edwards pushes through a bill to fix things.
Agreed.

I'm hoping that Edwards, should he win, is an effective two term President. Even if we still get a recession. It would be nice to see a semi successful Edwards Presidency that doesn't end in scandal.

Thank you for the message, I look forward to addressing these issues.
The Golan heights remain OTL but there will be upcoming updates on the region Israel/Palestine, Lebanon and Syria
The Nepalese royal massacre also occurs OTL

ahmedali

Banned
Thank you for the message, I look forward to addressing these issues.
The Golan heights remain OTL but there will be upcoming updates on the region Israel/Palestine, Lebanon and Syria
The Nepalese royal massacre also occurs OTL

Excited for these updates

I hope that the Syrians will regain the Golan in exchange for opening relations with Israel

This will be a great political victory for Israel and Syria

Sad but I hope Gyapendra doesn't try to restore the absolute monarchy or at least the monarchy survives after 2008

ahmedali

Banned
I think the speculation behind the Arab Spring still happening are very valid. It’s only a matter of time before people start to grow tired of Saddam’s Regime.
Do you know why Bush invaded Iraq along with a grudge against Saddam?

Because without the invasion, the fall of the Baath is highly unlikely (his regime is determined that it cannot overthrow it internally)

You will tell me the Shiites hated the Baath, and I will tell you this is a lie

(60 percent of its members are Shiites, and the last prime minister before the invasion, Muhammad Hamza Al-Zubaidi, was Shiite.
Chief of Staff of the Iraqi Army in 1993 Abdul Wahed Shannan was a Shiite)

The Baath is harsh and it is true, but it was not sectarian (the Sunnis suffered more from the Baath)

As for the Iraqi opposition, the Bush administration discovered that they are nothing but charlatans and fraudsters in this alternative reality

Regarding the Arab Spring, I doubt it will happen here

Last edited: