Geronimo : What if Osama Bin Laden was killed prior to 9/11?

What would be America’s views on the Muslim Population in this timeline?

Even without 9/11, is it really likely Islamphobia doesn’t become mainstream?
I doubt islamophobia would be anywhere as pronounced as it was OTL. There would still be ignorance and people who look at the MENA region and think that the unrest there is due to their religion, not helped by movies and tv using the Saddam or AQ-types as the villains. But there wouldn’t be so many hate crimes and less mosques in the US would need to be ringed with security walls, fences, and guards (my personal observation on the latter).

What would be America’s views on the Muslim Population in this timeline?

Even without 9/11, is it really likely Islamphobia doesn’t become mainstream?
Islamaphobia is a lot less prevelant in general. 9/11 really did lay the groundwork for a lot and provided talking points for anti-islamic views. (The ground zero mosque, security/policing policy, the Afghan and Iraq Wars, Guantanamo) all played big factors factors.

You are correct that other factors could (and likely will) play a role in fanning islamaphobic views but we are not there yet.

I guess the Edward Zwick movie The Siege wouldn't be as relevant ITTL. It was a movie about Islamic terrorism in New York that came out in 1998 and after 9/11 it gained popularity and a bit of a cult following.

I guess the Edward Zwick movie The Siege wouldn't be as relevant ITTL. It was a movie about Islamic terrorism in New York that came out in 1998 and after 9/11 it gained popularity and a bit of a cult following.
It would definitely be more controversial

The fictional newspaper in Resident Evil (2002) has the date for the Raccoon City outbreak as September 24, 2002. This movie was delayed because of 9/11, with the theme of bioterrorism. Furthermore, it was originally titled in the first draft of the script as Resident Evil: Ground Zero. The Ground Zero had to removed because memories of 9/11 were still strong. Plus in the original ending in the first script was Alice and Matt travel to an overrun New York with the pre-9/11 skyline.

Without 9/11, I also wonder how zombies and bioterrorism in fiction would be affected for this alternate timeline.

In regards to the Twin Trading Towers there was a failed attempt to down one of them using a truck-bomb in the basement, so what I'm wondering in TTL is will someone in Hollywood (Michael Bey comes to mind as he loves his explosions) come up with the bright idea of a speculative action film where some terrorists try to fly transcontinental airliners into the towers?

In regards to the Twin Trading Towers there was a failed attempt to down one of them using a truck-bomb in the basement, so what I'm wondering in TTL is will someone in Hollywood (Michael Bey comes to mind as he loves his explosions) come up with the bright idea of a speculative action film where some terrorists try to fly transcontinental airliners into the towers?
We had plane hijacking movies in the 1990s such as Executive Decision, Turbulence, and Air Force One. Plane-hijacking movies would probably follow those Die Hard scenarios where a hero would one-man army against the villains. As far as I recall in those plane hijacking movies, the terrorists made demands instead of crashing the plane into buildings.

In this TTL, we may have movies based on the 1993 WTC bombing plot mixed with Die Hard where the terrorists would threaten to tip over skyscrapers with truck-laden bombs. However, by chance, some writers could come up with the idea of using hijacked planes and crashing them into tall towers.

An
And critics think the movie is unrealistic

You mean something like this?

You mean something like this?

That or some sort of Die Hard film with Bruce Willis reprising his role as detective John McLean perhaps on UA93 but succeeds in storming the cockpit, killing the terrorists and regaining control of the airliner. Or another "Under Siege" moving starring Steven Seagal (Back when he was still a good action movie movie-star, the guy is now over the hill). Or perhaps something along the lines of True Lies with the lead role being played by Arnold Schwartznegger.

Edit: So, @Iwanh , what do you think of my suggestions? Will we see someone like Michael Bey do in TTL such a film about a hypothetical attack on the Twin Trading towers?

Last edited:
That or some sort of Die Hard film with Bruce Willis reprising his role as detective John McLean perhaps on UA93 but succeeds in storming the cockpit, killing the terrorists and regaining control of the airliner. Or another "Under Siege" moving starring Steven Seagal (Back when he was still a good action movie movie-star, the guy is now over the hill). Or perhaps something along the lines of True Lies with the lead role being played by Arnold Schwartznegger
IIRC a True Lies sequel was one of the movies killed in development because of 9/11 like Gump & Co. Since his wife becomes an agent at the end of the first maybe they're in separate towers having their own fights or (ala Die Hard 2) one's on a plane headed there.

IIRC a True Lies sequel was one of the movies killed in development because of 9/11 like Gump & Co. Since his wife becomes an agent at the end of the first maybe they're in separate towers having their own fights or (ala Die Hard 2) one's on a plane headed there.
That's a pity because I'd loved to have seen a "True Lies" sequel.
Not to mention the main antagonist was an Arab so it would really look stereotypical in the post-9/11 world.

That or some sort of Die Hard film with Bruce Willis reprising his role as detective John McLean perhaps on UA93 but succeeds in storming the cockpit, killing the terrorists and regaining control of the airliner. Or another "Under Siege" moving starring Steven Seagal (Back when he was still a good action movie movie-star, the guy is now over the hill). Or perhaps something along the lines of True Lies with the lead role being played by Arnold Schwartznegger.

Edit: So, @Iwanh , what do you think of my suggestions? Will we see someone like Michael Bey do in TTL such a film about a hypothetical attack on the Twin Trading towers?

There was the also alleged Jacki Chan movie where he was going to play a window cleaner at the World Trade Centre who foiled a terrorist attack on them.