Geronimo : What if Osama Bin Laden was killed prior to 9/11?

So... instead of getting killed in a friendly fire incident, was Pat Tillman tackled by his own team during an Arizona Cardinals game ITTL?
I seriously doubt that a tackle or two could kill Tillman since he was a football player. He continues to live in this timeline and has a longer career without 9/11 and the Iraq War.

Without 9/11, there would be no "patriotic ferver" that led to thousands of Americans immediately signing up for enlistments at recruitment stations.

America is already supporting a different War on Terror where it backs insurgent groups to fight certain regimes.
As Cody of The Alternate History Hub predicted, the "War on Terror" here would be fought using drones, covert aid, and special forces insertion. Not big deployments.

I guess the U.S. military was also downsized after the Cold War, since the threat of the USSR no longer existed and China being marked as the OPFOR once more was not yet really a thing of concern.

To quote the book 102 Minutes: The Unforgettable Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn (page 281):
"On the morning of September 11, 2001, the U.S. military had fewer soldiers, sailors, marines, and aviators in its ranks than any time in the previous history. American governments had been engaged in overt and covert wars almost nonstop since 1941, and at the beginning of the twenty-first century the United States was still enjoying a peace dividend from the end of the Cold War. The 9/11 attacks roused a spirit of service and duty that bad been embodied that day by the valor of firefighters, medics, and police officers. Military recruitment surged. Over the next decade, two million members of the U.S. armed forces would be deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan."​

As Cody of The Alternate History Hub predicted, the "War on Terror" here would be fought using drones, covert aid, and special forces insertion. Not big deployments.

I guess the U.S. military was also downsized after the Cold War, since the threat of the USSR no longer existed and China being marked as the OPFOR once more was not yet really a thing of concern.

To quote the book 102 Minutes: The Unforgettable Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn (page 281):
"On the morning of September 11, 2001, the U.S. military had fewer soldiers, sailors, marines, and aviators in its ranks than any time in the previous history. American governments had been engaged in overt and covert wars almost nonstop since 1941, and at the beginning of the twenty-first century the United States was still enjoying a peace dividend from the end of the Cold War. The 9/11 attacks roused a spirit of service and duty that bad been embodied that day by the valor of firefighters, medics, and police officers. Military recruitment surged. Over the next decade, two million members of the U.S. armed forces would be deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan."​
No 9/11 also affects the backstory of Iron Man and the Punisher. The former would still demonstrate his weapons for a US military contingent and Afghan resistance fighters but gets captured and escapes after building an iron suit and the latter would be a Special Forces soldier that saw the true cost of war in front of him.

So... instead of getting killed in a friendly fire incident, was Pat Tillman tackled by his own team during an Arizona Cardinals game ITTL?

Without 9/11, there would be no "patriotic ferver" that led to thousands of Americans immediately signing up for enlistments at recruitment stations.
I'm compiling a list of those personally affected by 9/11 for that kind of update, any help would be great.

I'm compiling a list of those personally affected by 9/11 for that kind of update, any help would be great.
two who immediately come to mind are Bowe Bergdahl, who was an American soldier captured by the Taliban for obvious reasons.
and Gideon Raff, the creator of tv shows ''Homeland'' and ''Tyrant''. without massive troop deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq the whole premise of Homeland, assuming an American company even buys the rights to ''Prisoners of war'' to begin with, will be entirely different. and if they don't he likely never moves to the US or if he does he wouldn't be as successful.
Hamid Karzai, Abdul Rashid Dostum and Ashraf Ghani are others to consider for the list if you haven't already.
Muqtada A-Sadr and others

Last edited:
I guess the Jackie Chan movie "Nosebleed" would also be made and released in theaters too. It was a movie about a window washer who stops a terrorist attack on the WTC.

I guess the Jackie Chan movie "Nosebleed" would also be made and released in theaters too. It was a movie about a window washer who stops a terrorist attack on the WTC.
Oh man, I've read about that recently. How untimely indeed. On the other hand, Collateral Damage and Resident Evil just turned 20 recently.

CD was about a narco-terror plot in Los Angeles, which started New Zealander actor Cliff Curtis as a Colombian Drug Lord while Arnie was a firefighter who went on his own to stop the terrorist after his wife and daughter were killed in the bombing.

Keep in mind the first RE was supposed to be subtitled as Ground Zero but had to be changed due to the 9/11 attacks, especially with its theme of bioweapons being sold on the black market. The tie-in novel version by Keith R.A. deCandido had it titled as Resident Evil: Genesis. He would then write the novelization for Apocalypse and Extinction.

Another movie that would have been released on time: The Rats (alternate title: The Rats of New York). It was supposed to air on TV on either September 17, 2001 but had to be delayed to 2002 in order remove shots of the WTC.

Last edited:
Since 9/11 hasn't happened TTL I wonder how it has effected Tom Clancy's novels?

I was going to say, "Maybe they'll still be good", but the series kind of went off the rails when Jack Ryan became President in 1996. At least the abysmal Teeth of the Tiger would be butterflied away. Sum of All Fears, the movie, was already in the can by June 2001 so that's likely to be much the same.