Geronimo : What if Osama Bin Laden was killed prior to 9/11?

Who will win the Republican Nomination?

• Dick Cheney

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • John McCain

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • Jon Huntsman

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Rick Santorum

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
Next Time
The Enduring Fight for Liberty
1718716977070.png
1718716983539.png
1718716989837.png

The Great Recession, whenever it comes, will most likely be seen as the cultural endpoint for not just the 2000s, but the heady optimism of the post-Cold War era as the economy struggles to recover and the world situation becomes thornier with the alt-Arab Spring, the rise of China, etc. This will probably be reflected by a "darker" turn somewhat similar to what we saw IOTL post-9/11 in pop culture as the last of 90s utopianism finally wears off.
If that's the case then it's going to impact Millenials going into the work force likely similar to OTL where they have to deal with unemployment or underemployment, high rents and stagnant wages. To make matters worse Millenials spent their entire childhood and adolescence years where they grew up believing that the 21st century is going to be a bright one not just for America but the entire western world. Now if things go south in the 2010s I except the cynicalism to be more intense.

If that's the case then it's going to impact Millenials going into the work force likely similar to OTL where they have to deal with unemployment or underemployment, high rents and stagnant wages. To make matters worse Millenials spent their entire childhood and adolescence years where they grew up believing that the 21st century is going to be a bright one not just for America but the entire western world. Now if things go south in the 2010s I except the cynicalism to be more intense.
God forbid if the no 9/11 universe starts merging back into OTL, though of course there will be some things that are better and some that are somehow even worse.

For obvious reasons it may be a bit offputting to do a “here’s what surviving Todd Beamer (just as an example) is up to,” but somebody like Pete Davidson actually growing up with his father around might be a more sensitive take on the subject.

Though considering how deftly you handled your “Tuesday in September” chapter I have confidence in how that will shake out in the end
Exactly my thinking, I'd probably stick with public figures, O'Neil would probably be the only victim I would touch

View attachment 912555
Andrew Roane Dick (born Andrew Thomlinson; December 21, 1965 - May 15, 1999) was an American actor and comedian. Dick was born in Charleston, South Carolina, and joined The Second City and studied improvisational theater. His first regular television role was on The Ben Stiller Show on Fox. In the mid-1990s, he regularly appeared on NBC's NewsRadio.

Dick was also known for his eccentric behavior and problems with drug addiction, the latter of which culminated in his death on May 15, 1999, when he drove his car into a utility pole, killing him instantly. He was found with possession of cocaine, cannabis, and drug paraphernalia, and his autopsy showed that his body was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. He was later cremated, and his ashes were spread off the coast of Los Angeles. One of his final film appearances, Inspector Gadget, is dedicated to his memory.​
I guess this is part of the headcanon now.

Congrats on the thread mark, Guy712!

God forbid if the no 9/11 universe starts merging back into OTL, though of course there will be some things that are better and some that are somehow even worse.
The 2010s would be similar to OTL but with a couple of differences. You got the NYC 2012 Olympics which would give a temporary repreive from the very sluggish economy recovery, Palm becomes the dominant Smartphone brand competing neck to neck with Apple's IPhone and Disney doesn't buy Star Wars nor Marvel leading to Disney to likely focus on blending 2D films and CGI films leading animation to go in a different direction in the 2010s.

Since there's no war on terror domestic issues would likely overshadow foreign policy as Americans begin to notice flaws in their own country that needs to be addressed like Inequality, crumbling infrastructure, unaffordable housing, and health care.

Since there's no war on terror domestic issues would likely overshadow foreign policy as Americans begin to notice flaws in their own country that needs to be addressed like Inequality, crumbling infrastructure, unaffordable housing, and health care.
IMO foreign policy will become higher-salience in the alt-2010s US as the country deals with the aftermath of the alt-Arab Spring and the post-Cold War era of America as the world's sole superpower winds down with China and Russia becoming more powerful/ambitious. Without neoconservatism being more or less discredited by the Iraq War I can see the rise of Russia and China breathing new life into it.

Rayman Raving Rabbids
RRR.png

Rayman Raving Rabbids is a 2006 platform game developed and published by UbiSoft, and the fourth major installment in the Rayman series. The story follows Rayman in his quest to stop the invading army of Rabbids from taking over Fairy Glade. It was released for the Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and MicroSoft Windows. It was also released for the GameBoy Advance, Nintendo DS, and PlayStation Portable as a 2D platformer.

The gameplay is similar to that of previous two Rayman games, although it now features an open world, where the player can explorer, roaming from one area to the next, much like in the game Beyond Good & Evil. In order to complete certain tasks, Rayman has to hypnotize the Rabbids by dancing, taking control of them and manipulating them into accessing new areas of the game. The player has to select a musical track and make Rayman dance to the rhythm accurately. Rayman could wear several different costumes, each based on a different music style. Another major feature is the ability for Rayman to tame and ride vicious creatures, such as giant spiders, sharks, birds and warthogs. Each creature has its own ability: Spiders can climb walls and ceilings, sharks can swim, birds can fly, etc. These creatures can also help Rayman defeat the Rabbids and their machines.

Early development on the game began while other titles where in development. During that time, the developers at UbiSoft Montpellier had no clear enemy in mind for the game. When Nintendo Power magazine expressed an interest in covering the new game, Michel Ancel quickly sketched a concept for a new rabbit enemy during a train ride from Montpellier to Paris. The game was initially developed for the PlayStation 2, until developers received Wii development kits from Nintendo. With them, the developers began to experiment with a variety of gameplay styles.

Rayman Raving Rabbids received positive to average reviews from critics. IGN writer Matt Casamassina complimented the game's impressive sense of humor, gameplay and the design of the Rabbids in general. Both reviews highlighted the story, music and sound. and said that the gameplay is addictive and optimized for the Wii. A few critics claimed that the other developers of Wii launch titles had simply ported their games and "tacked on" Wii controls. It is one of the highest-selling third party games for the Wii. The game was subsequently released on other platforms, including the PC, PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360. Reviews in general found these versions to play at a somewhat inferior level compared to the Wii version due to the game's controls having been optimized with the Wii in mind.​

View attachment 913336
Rayman Raving Rabbids is a 2006 platform game developed and published by UbiSoft, and the fourth major installment in the Rayman series. The story follows Rayman in his quest to stop the invading army of Rabbids from taking over Fairy Glade. It was released for the Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and MicroSoft Windows. It was also released for the GameBoy Advance, Nintendo DS, and PlayStation Portable as a 2D platformer.

The gameplay is similar to that of previous two Rayman games, although it now features an open world, where the player can explorer, roaming from one area to the next, much like in the game Beyond Good & Evil. In order to complete certain tasks, Rayman has to hypnotize the Rabbids by dancing, taking control of them and manipulating them into accessing new areas of the game. The player has to select a musical track and make Rayman dance to the rhythm accurately. Rayman could wear several different costumes, each based on a different music style. Another major feature is the ability for Rayman to tame and ride vicious creatures, such as giant spiders, sharks, birds and warthogs. Each creature has its own ability: Spiders can climb walls and ceilings, sharks can swim, birds can fly, etc. These creatures can also help Rayman defeat the Rabbids and their machines.

Early development on the game began while other titles where in development. During that time, the developers at UbiSoft Montpellier had no clear enemy in mind for the game. When Nintendo Power magazine expressed an interest in covering the new game, Michel Ancel quickly sketched a concept for a new rabbit enemy during a train ride from Montpellier to Paris. The game was initially developed for the PlayStation 2, until developers received Wii development kits from Nintendo. With them, the developers began to experiment with a variety of gameplay styles.

Rayman Raving Rabbids received positive to average reviews from critics. IGN writer Matt Casamassina complimented the game's impressive sense of humor, gameplay and the design of the Rabbids in general. Both reviews highlighted the story, music and sound. and said that the gameplay is addictive and optimized for the Wii. A few critics claimed that the other developers of Wii launch titles had simply ported their games and "tacked on" Wii controls. It is one of the highest-selling third party games for the Wii. The game was subsequently released on other platforms, including the PC, PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360. Reviews in general found these versions to play at a somewhat inferior level compared to the Wii version due to the game's controls having been optimized with the Wii in mind.​
Did console games still look that goofy in 2006 or do I just have rose-tinted old man glasses? 😂

I just remember the graphics being more… lifelike, I guess, though I basically didn’t play any video games between 2011-18 more or less
Probably, due to low resolution screens and what not. I remember watching a Let's Play and a guy said when GTA IV came out it looked real, then he got an HD TV and made the game look the opposite, making him hate HD TVs for a while.

Probably, due to low resolution screens and what not. I remember watching a Let's Play and a guy said when GTA IV came out it looked real, then he got an HD TV and made the game look the opposite, making him hate HD TVs for a while.
Haha. I can sympathize. That game was a *big* leap forward from Vice City/San Andreas, too.