Germany fights to the bitter end in ww1, no ww2?

i often hear this claim that if the Germans in ww1 had fought till the end like they did in ww2, the second world war with germany as the agressor would not have happened mainly due to the idea that the stab in the back myth would not have leg to stand on if the defeated German armies and took a lot of territory inside germany, but could the german empire even continue to resist in to 1919 like the nazis did till 1945 or would it have collapsed long before the allies marched on berlin

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
i often hear this claim that if the Germans in ww1 had fought till the end like they did in ww2, the second world war with germany as the agressor would not have happened mainly due to the idea that the stab in the back myth would not have leg to stand on if the defeated German armies and took a lot of territory inside germany, but could the german empire even continue to resist in to 1919 like the nazis did till 1945 or would it have collapsed long before the allies marched on berlin
If Walter Rathenau had his way:

Citation and first three paragraphs, rich with all sorts of ironies. If you have JSTOR access, I encourage you to check it out.

Insurrectionary Warfare: The German Debate about a Levée en Masse in October 1918 Author(s): Michael Geyer
Source: The Journal of Modern History , Vol. 73, No. 3 (September 2001), pp. 459-527 Published by: The University of Chicago Press
Stable URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/339124

Insurrectionary warfare is not commonly associated with German military thought. Nor is the idea of the levee en masse considered part of the Prussian military tradition or, for that matter, of the German way of fighting war. Yet,there it is: the call for all-out war in the defense of the nation, for a levee en masse, issued on October 7, 1918, and debated at some length by the war cabinet of Prince Max von Baden, the last imperial government and the first quasi-parliamentary one. To be sure, the appeal referred to a Volkserhebung (popular insurrection) rather than a leve ́e. But the reference to the French original was used interchangeably in political deliberations during October 1918.

That is, the possibility of “going French” as a last resort for imperial Germany was well understood, with no irony intended. The appeal is especially curious if we consider that it was issued by Walther Rathenau, the industrialist and intellectual, against the objections of the guiding spirit of the Third Supreme Command, General Erich Ludendorff. Of course, Rathenau had been involved in the war effort all along. He had insti- gated or, in any case, helped to create a Department of War Raw Materials (Kriegsrohstoffamt) in 1914. But it is one thing for a leading industrialist to mobilize industry at the beginning of the war. It is an entirely different matter to plead for a popular uprising to continue war in the face of defeat—against Ludendorff who had come to Berlin in order to plead for an armistice and allegedly used “these moving words to the most German of all German Jews”: “Two sons of my wife have fallen in the air war, and as you know, I loved them like my own children. As long as I believed in victory, I was at liberty to lead every division against the enemy. Since the moment I lost this faith, I no longer have the right to let any son of any German mother die.” Need we recall that, in 1922, Rathenau was murdered by right-wing assassins for be- traying Germany and delivering the nation to the French, while Ludendorff had become a valiant hero struck down, albeit metaphorically, by an evil con- spiracy of Jews and Freemasons?

Everything seems upside down with Rathenau’s appeal for an “insurrection of the people.” The high priest of corporate management calling for an insurrectionary people’s war? A German-Jewish civilian firing up a furor teutonicus? A revolutionary French call to arms to defend an imperial monarchy? All this sounds surreal. It is not surprising, then, that Rathenau scholars are mildly embarrassed by his call to arms, while military historians tend to brush it aside. The goal of this essay is to find out how and to what effect the German government, the military, and a national public came to debate the issue of a popular insurrection or a levee en masse in 1918 and what, if anything at all, this Franco-German hybrid of ideas was about.

white is black and black is white; we are through the looking glass here people

I bit doubt that Germany would had fought until bitter end during WW1 unless Entente wouldn't had demanded unconditional surrending and occupation/dismantling the empire. German government wasn't insane maniac and German army begun to be very exhausted.

But even if on some reason Germany would had continued to fight Germany probably would had been dismantled back to its constituents and probably even Prussia would had been severely weakened so it can't re-unite Germany. But probably Entente would be too in bad condition after this war.

It's not just Germany fighting to the bitter end, its the Allies getting to the border of Germany (never mind into Germany), and accepting the surrender. Granted, both sides were tired and the Spanish Flu was beginning to wreak it's particular havoc. If you're looking for a POD, I suspect you need to remove Wilson (or at least the Fourteen Points).

I seem to recall an AH somewhere that Germans requested an armistice (as OTL), but the reply was "Nuts!", and the allies pushed to Berlin ...

I have a pdf of 'Insurrectionary Warfare: The German Debate about a Levée en Masse in October 1918 Author(s): Michael Geyer' for free
Of course there is the matter of whether you trust me or not

But you can see my posting history. I am a regular poster here and will get nothing by sending you a virus
So if you want the pdf then dm me

It's a tough one, becuase yes the stabbed in the back myth won't happen as per OTL, but it's not like Germany will be happy with the result or that some kind of revanchist group like the NASDP won't find something to get upset about and blame the usual scapegoats for it. It's how much it would resonate that matters, but additionally the stabbed in the back myth was not the only string to the Nazi's bow when it came to appealing to the people.

As to resisting to 1919, I'd have thought so easily!

It not like there aren't still a lot of German soldiers around by the the end of 1918, the army has not collapsed*, and Germany is a big country advancing into it will not be fun. And frankly it always pretty easy to get support to resist an invasion especially as the name of the game will now be keep the most favorable circumstances to negotiate a peace from. And victorious armies who have had 4 years of western front trench warfare, and then fought their way across Germany to put their flags in Berlin will negotiate a peace that will make the ToV look like a stern look over the dinner table.

*not being in any shape to launch million men offensives is not the same thing

Last edited:
So the war continues into 1919 by which point it ends with French colonial troops, British and Americans parading in Unter den Linen and Serbs, Greeks and Italians in Munich. Yes ok you don't have ww2 TTL given Germany got utterly crushed in 1919 and likely ended losing even more territory to France and Poland.

But the Allies did occupy a large swath of Germany IOTL; the Rhineland with three large bridgeheads east of the Rhine. And there were French sorties, e.g. to Frankfurt and the Ruhr occupation. In addition, territories and people were taken away in the east, the north and the west. - All this didn't avert said myth.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
But the Allies did occupy a large swath of Germany IOTL; the Rhineland with three large bridgeheads east of the Rhine. And there were French sorties, e.g. to Frankfurt and the Ruhr occupation. In addition, territories and people were taken away in the east, the north and the west. - All this didn't avert said myth.
But they were administrative, unresisted occupations, not conquest occupations where the Germans saw themselves beat fair and square.

Entente wouldn't had demanded unconditional surrending
how likely is that the allies mainly the French start demanding unconditional surrender?
But even if on some reason Germany would had continued to fight Germany probably would had been dismantled back to its constituents and probably even Prussia would had been severely weakened so it can't re-unite Germany. But probably Entente would be too in bad condition after this war.
wouldnt the americans prop of the germans like they did after ww2 against the new USSR?

So the war continues into 1919 by which point it ends with French colonial troops, British and Americans parading in Unter den Linen and Serbs, Greeks and Italians in Munich. Yes ok you don't have ww2 TTL given Germany got utterly crushed in 1919 and likely ended losing even more territory to France and Poland.
how would the borders be like realisticly would germany eastern front resemble otl east germany borders?

And victorious armies who have had 4 years of western front trench warfare, and then fought their way across Germany to put their flags in Berlin will negotiate a peace that will make the ToV look like a stern look over the dinner table.

wouldnt the americans prop of the germans like they did after ww2 against the new USSR?
This could get interesting. The Germans decide to fight on, the Allies therefore decide on unconditional surrender, and so push to Berlin. At this point in history, Germany / A-H borders the - now Communist! - Russia USSR. NOW the Allies have to balance desire for revenge / repatriations against the Communist country to the east that would be more than happy to bring central Europe under its protective wing (not to mention potential access to warm-weather ports in the North Sea and/or Med). Cold war begins 50 years early?

how likely is that the allies mainly the French start demanding unconditional surrender?

Not sure. Probably not very since unlike Allies during WW2 them have not so much power during WW1.

I don't think that USA felt communist Russia being serious threat. The country was midst of civil war at this point.

But they were administrative, unresisted occupations, not conquest occupations where the Germans saw themselves beat fair and square.
Boots on the ground nevertheless, and, in the case of the French, not quite few, including a bunch of colonial troops, just to hassle the Germans. In addition, the Versailles Dictate turned Germany pretty much defenceless, leaving her at the mercy of the Allies, who were free to invade her anytime (see Ruhr occupation).

Actually the Ruhr occupation was initially resisted passively, though it didn't succeed in getting the French out and the German government had to stop passive resistance in September 1923 as it was harming their economy.

Not sure. Probably not very since unlike Allies during WW2 them have not so much power during WW1.

I don't think that USA felt communist Russia being serious threat. The country was midst of civil war at this point.
That is a list of troops sent during the Russian Civil War. I think there was some concern.

How long could the germans had resisted?
If instead of launching the spring offensive, they went full defensive?
They were war weary, but they still had the Brest Litovsk territories.
I guess that the Entente could just collapse too.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Boots on the ground nevertheless, and, in the case of the French, not quite few, including a bunch of colonial troops, just to hassle the Germans. In addition, the Versailles Dictate turned Germany pretty much defenceless, leaving her at the mercy of the Allies, who were free to invade her anytime (see Ruhr occupation).

Actually the Ruhr occupation was initially resisted passively, though it didn't succeed in getting the French out and the German government had to stop passive resistance in September 1923 as it was harming their economy.
I don't think you get it.

These are examples of Allied powers beating the Germans, but not beating the Germans 'fair and square'. These are actions taken by the Allies after they have an unparalleled military edge gained in its final and widest margin by German acceptance of armistice terms designed to render the Germans militarily helpless.

These examples of beatings, even by foreigners, do not discredit German military honor to German military fanboys, they *strengthen* the 'stab in the back' myth by adding credibility to the idea that whoever X (unpopular group or politician) in Germany who 'made' the German State and Army sign the armistice is to blame for everything that followed. Even though very-right figures in October and November 1918 saw no alternative to the armistice and were for it. (or they were "for it before they were against it") little things like facts were not going to get in the way of more emotionally satisfying and politically useful myths that the rightist factions supported the Army's effective fight/resistance till the end and their enemies were the November criminals who had a revolution and forced them to quit. In reality, the German left, in a very German manner, practically waited for 'permission' to revolt as the regime admitted the war had failed and monarchs (Bill) and high commanders (Erich Ludy) decided to abandon the country's territory.

As the Entente fight their way through Germany they now have to supply occupied areas with food making their logistics much harder.
There could be a communist uprising and strikes too.