German Phillipines

Deleted member 9338

I understand that Germany tried to buy the Phillipine Islands from Spain during the Spanish American War. If this is true how realistic is this possibility?

I understand that Germany tried to buy the Phillipine Islands from Spain during the Spanish American War. If this is true how realistic is this possibility?
With possession being nine tenths of the law, the US would have conquered it by the time German forces arrives.

My variant on this is Imperial Germany cultivates very close ties with Spain in a effort to acquire a empire through capitol investment, aristocratic marriages, and military alliances. Cira 1898 German money & business are present in PI, Some German regiments are fighting rebels, and some spanking new German cruisers are with the Spanish fleets.

With possession being nine tenths of the law, the US would have conquered it by the time German forces arrives.

Not sure that is true. The US only conquered roughly 67 hectares(walled city of Manila) of Philippines during the Spanish American war. And that was partly due to fears of the Spanish surrendering to the rebels who siege/surrounded the city.

OTL, USA conquered the whole present day Philippine land area roughly around 10 years. Of which, Took about 3 years to conquer the Christian parts.

Not unless you meant there was no chance that the Germans would send their troops within a span of a year or 10 in any alternate reality.

K

How would the Germans deal with the Islamic insurgency ? Would they ask the Ottoman Caliph to adress his "subjects" to not rebel against the Germans and obey their rule ?

Not sure that is true. The US only conquered roughly 67 hectares(walled city of Manila) of Philippines during the Spanish American war. And that was partly due to fears of the Spanish surrendering to the rebels who siege/surrounded the city.

OTL, USA conquered the whole present day Philippine land area roughly around 10 years. Of which, Took about 3 years to conquer the Christian parts.

Not unless you meant there was no chance that the Germans would send their troops within a span of a year or 10 in any alternate reality.

True, but they conquered the best and most usable port in the Philippines. Without Manila as a central hub, I doubt that any power would try to take the rest of the nation.

Deleted member 9338

I ask as this can create a solution for President McKinley who appears to have not wanted a colony in the western Pacific. Such an agreement could bring the US and Germany closer.

With that said we may need a different commander in charge of the Asiatic Fleet.

True, but they conquered the best and most usable port in the Philippines. Without Manila as a central hub, I doubt that any power would try to take the rest of the nation.

It is the best and most usable port in Luzon but not the only one. The US got Manila and Subic. And that is about it. You cannot march troops from Manila to other islands of the Philippines. That is also assuming Spain surrenders Manila like OTL.

But US and another great power aren't the only players on the islands during those times. The rebels are the real main factor here. If the rebels allied with the Germans which can land on other ports in Luzon or even trap Dewey's fleet.

My variant on this is Imperial Germany cultivates very close ties with Spain in a effort to acquire a empire through capitol investment, aristocratic marriages, and military alliances. Circa 1898 German money & business are present in PI, Some German regiments are fighting rebels, and some spanking new German cruisers are with the Spanish fleets.

Hohenzollern Spain? Because the Bourbons wouldn't like that, and Imperial Germany was only a thing after 1871, before that being Prussia, Austria, and a bunch of tiny princedoms.

It is the best and most usable port in Luzon but not the only one. The US got Manila and Subic. And that is about it. You cannot march troops from Manila to other islands of the Philippines. That is also assuming Spain surrenders Manila like OTL.

But US and another great power aren't the only players on the islands during those times. The rebels are the real main factor here. If the rebels allied with the Germans which can land on other ports in Luzon or even trap Dewey's fleet.

Do you think there's a possibility of the Negros and Zamboanga Republics becoming a sort of rump Philippines?

Do you think there's a possibility of the Negros and Zamboanga Republics becoming a sort of rump Philippines?

Since we are talking about German intervention in this thread, It is possible as long they have German support. Instead of accepting being part of the republic being formed in malolos they submit instead to Germany.

One of the reasons the USA decided to keep the PI was to keep them from falling in to the hands of other countries. If the US decides not to keep the PI, it is not impossible for them to fall to the Germans. Assuming this, I see the PI very likely being given to Japan as were the German Pacific Islands north of the equator as part of the WWI spoils. If japan has the PI, then no PH as the Japanese can import oil/minerals/rice from occupied SEA conquests without worrying about the USA cutting their supply line - this is why they had to eliminate the US fleet OTL.

Would the US really go "yeah, we know you legally bought the island but we're gonna keep it anyway"?
If the US felt they had conquered it (well, at least Manila), then they would not care about that bargain. That is like Britain conquering Quebec and then finding out that France had sold it to Spain when it was under siege. No Briton would care.

SOAWWIISoldier

Monthly Donor
The German fleet arrived shortly after the Battle of Manila Bay. They ectually outgunned Dewey and if the British had not supported Dewey then the Philippines would have become a German colony and then a Japanese one during WWI. It actually got a bit tense until the British stepped and defused the situation.

I almost certainly would have different wife.