George Washington II

A New Trade
“[Mr. Burr] assures me we will add another [star] soon enough to it.”
“You trust the man?”
“With my life.”
A conversation between George II and Alexander Hamilton after the adoption Reid Resolution, which led to the creation of the current model of the US Flag.
21star.gif

13 Stripes and a star representing each state would become the new model after the Reid Resolution. By its adoption there were 21 stars representing Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina. New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Providence Plantation, Vermont, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Louisiana, Indiana, Mississippi, Mayne.​
In May 1818, a couple with their two sons made their way to Quebec City. He was a lawyer who wished to enter politics, and his father-in-law was currently stationed in Quebec. His father had connections too, but his father-in-law had more grace in the field. She had yet to see her father since the war ended and he had never seen his second grandchild. On the way there they saw a man with a wagon and a busted wheel. He had important business in town and asked for help delivering his equipment. The wife hesitated, but they offered to help him into the city. They were shocked to learn they were to meet the same man, General Burr.
The man they aided was Martin Ferguson, who had for whatever reason feel out of Burr’s good grace. Clément Gosselin may have warned Burr, who he had known since the War for American Dominion, that any Ferguson could not be trusted. Burr tried not to be the kind of man who judged another by who their parents, Hamilton taught him that, but Ferguson was a turncoat. However, as he liked to point out to Burr, “my father stayed loyal unlike you. [Quebec] will be an empty wasteland or full of turncoats.” Ferguson had a business scheme, and Burr was the man that he could exploit. Burr currently was a man without wants, anything he requested as military governor was approved from men, supplies, and weapons. The business had been extremely well for Ferguson during the war, but now the government kept a good eye on those purchasing firearms. The possibility of rebellion was too high.
Ferguson introduced to him his first design for the Dual Barrel Pistol. He remarked it as being, “a crude and ridiculous piece of machinery. That lacked accuracy and procession but looked big and strong, and that may have been enough to fool the Americans.” It was not enough to fool Burr who wore three pairs of gloves when firing the first shot. It singed his hand as it burst apart. Burr may have had Ferguson thrown out of his office or even trialed for attempting an assassination. He would have if he did not need the man for another task. Colonel Miles Irwin, who had been visiting French military camps since the war ended, had some ideas he wanted to work on. He was told that Ferguson was the only man that had a chance in helping him. Martin Ferguson was called Hephaestus for good reasons. He had some inventions he wished to see forged, but neither had the time nor technology available for it to happen. He agreed to take up Irwin’s request for new cannon design and Burr was glad to have him out of his hair.
upload_2018-4-15_21-22-59.png

Martin Ferguson unlike Hephaestus was known to be a handsome man.​
The marriage between Philip and Theodosia was a healthy one. One can not say they were arranged like other marriages in the American aristocracy as Philip did proposed after asking for Burr’s blessing. After his wife died, Theodosia was the most important person in his life besides Alexander Hamilton. The relationship between Theodosia and Alexander could always be considered quite warm; he attempted to be like a father to all his in-laws. However, ties between Philip and Burr could be described as cold and distant. There was no hatred or even dislike, the both had a degree of respect for each other, but they were never family.
Philip came for advice hoping to win a seat in the New York State Legislature. When he asked what his father said he told them he had not told him of his intentions to run in 1819. Philip may have wanted to separate himself from his father or wished to achieve this on his own, but still needed the advice of a seasoned politician. He gave him helpful hints on how orate, who to get close to and what topics he should focus on, but the most important advice was on immigration. “Georgia, the Carolinas, maybe Virginia will be stuck as they were when I was a young man, but not New York. She’s changing still either be ready or lose what you have.”
Philip_Hamilton.jpg
upload_2018-4-15_21-26-55.png

Philip and Theodosia near the time of their wedding​
“The Spanish Empire is no more,” French Ambassador, Antoine-François Andréossy, said to an aide after informing King Joachim that France would not send additional troops to reinforce Peru. Spain was left a broken mess after the Iberian War. They were indebted to France and lost most of their colonies in the New World. They tried and failed to stage an uprising in Gibraltar, but the weapons they were sending into the city were confiscated, and they lost international prestige. Napoleon told his brother to focus on rebuilding his state before reclaiming his empire.
His holdings in the East Indies were still secure even if his closest root through Mexico was no longer an option. Joachim hoped to increase trade with Qing China. China had limited the trade and influence Europeans were able to use. Many products brought by Westerners were not desired by the Chinese except for opium. Opium had yet become the huge juggernaut it would be later in the 19th century, but its sale was increasing. Spain did not have opium fields like the British, but many Chinese mixed their opium with tobacco. Though Cuba was lost, Spain still had other tobacco rich colonies.
During the summer of 1819, François Cabarrus, a French financial advisor, was sent to with several ships full of tobacco, but silver, firearms, and exotic fruits. Having made their way to Canton, they discovered lackluster deals for their imports, so Cabarrus opted to sail further North to sell their goods. It is unknown whether he was ignorant of Canton system in China, that focused all foreign trade to the one city, or if he believed the close alliance between France and Spain would gain him special treatment. Like all foreigners, Napoleon was seen as a barbarian compared to the Daoguang Emperor, who had just been crowned.
220px-%E6%B8%85_%E4%BD%9A%E5%90%8D_%E3%80%8A%E6%B8%85%E5%AE%A3%E5%AE%97%E9%81%93%E5%85%89%E7%9A%87%E5%B8%9D%E6%9C%9D%E6%9C%8D%E5%83%8F%E3%80%8B.jpg

Daoguang Emperor​
Making their way North, possibly to Nanjing, their vessels were seized, and the crew arrested. The quick action against the Spanish was due to Daoguang Emperor’s crackdowns on the opium trade. Though there was no opium on the vessels, rumors spread that the Spanish were trying to get into the trade which was mostly true. He waited for three months in prison until a French Consul was able to have him released. His cargo was still seized and given to Daoguang Emperor as a gift of friendship between the Spanish and Chinese.
When Cabarrus returned to Spain in 1821, having made not profit and selling no cargo, Joachim demanded a joint expedition against China. “Peking will burn their heathen emperor brought before God and judged.” Napoleon did not want to go to war with China, not yet. He put an end to his brother’s plans of rampage but would not let China’s attack against him go away. In 1824, the young Lieutenant Adam Bain was sent to Canton to reach out an unlikely ally. He would have to convince Cheng I Sao to come out of retirement and become the Pirate Queen once more.
upload_2018-4-15_21-36-49.png

Adam "the Bastard Sailor' Bain​

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-15_21-26-14.png
    upload_2018-4-15_21-26-14.png
    402 KB · Views: 216
  • upload_2018-4-15_21-26-37.png
    upload_2018-4-15_21-26-37.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 236
  • upload_2018-4-15_21-35-55.png
    upload_2018-4-15_21-35-55.png
    352.7 KB · Views: 255
Sorry for the delay. Been busy with school. Nothing much coming up until finals so hopefully I'll have some more for y'all soon. I'm trying to do more research on the time period so what I'm saying doesn't sound too unlikely. If anyone has any good books or websites to us, I'll take any suggestion. Take care and long live the Grand Republic!

Alea Iacta Est
“History will remember me as a man who stuck by his principles. I, who did not bow to the will of madmen and jackals. I will not let the servant of Lucifer defy me any longer.”
Ferdinand I of Sicily to Carlos I Hispaniola
After the Peace of Burges, Sicily was left in the hands of the Bourbons under the former King of Naples who was dethroned and escaped to the island in 1806. The British Navy protected Sicily from invasion and the new Kingdom of Sicily was created. Russia had sided with Naples during this conflict and even sent Admiral Ushakov to fight. The Sicilian people disliked Ferdinand I and a wave of republican sentiment spread throughout the island. In 1818, the group known as the Nuovi Vespri or New Vespers, in memory of successful Sicilian rebellion in the 13th century, were a radical group that sought to remove the monarchy and found a republic, but they denied that for obvious reasons. “They choose a name of men who overthrow one king and now aim to do likewise,” Ferdinand said.
Nuv Flag.jpg

Flag of the Nuovu Vespri​
Ferdinand’s concern was with good reason. A large number of French revolutionaries who felt that Napoleon did not have their interest at heart, or those who know he place stake through theirs, left for the New World, Britain and the Mediterranean. A prominent member of Nuovi Vespri, Jacob Laurent, reportedly from Troyes was one such revolutionary. In his journal, he wrote that “to the Tyrant, the word Republic is just as sinful as freedom. For the Tyrant thinks himself a god and when masses’ tribute, be it soldiers for his wrath, taxes for his greed, or women for his lust, is not enough he will act like the God of Abraham towards the Egyptian Pharaoh.”
Laurent claimed to have worked for the Committee of Public Safety back in 1794, but there are no records he ever worked there nor he that he was ever in France. Theories about his actual origins have led to nowhere. All that is certain is he existed after 1818. He whipped up the peasantry in nationalistic spirit and talked to liberal-minded military officers, most infamously, Guglielmo Pepe, who agreed to overthrow Ferdinand on December 8, 1818. Ferdinand escaped capture and fled to Trapani where he raised a loyalist army and sent word to the British for aid. He was defeated in Spring and sentenced to death.
Writing to his nephew, Carlos I of Hispaniola, he wrote extensively of his fears of republicanism. “They will bring back the guillotine and forsake law and order. To them, there is no reasoning. They say liberté, égalité, fraternité so long as you’re not the son of a rich man or royalty. Mark my words, they will be the end to all things Holy.” He was hanged on March 10, 1819, along with several of his loyalist officers. His last words were, “shame upon the cowards who set there and watch this madness but refuse to act.”
ferrers_at_tyburn_web.jpg

Hanging of Ferdinand I​
For a time, the situation in Sicily was in the air. A lot of the upheaval and tension was undone after Ferdinand’s death that was until the British arrived on May 18 at Palermo. Laurent, head of the Provisional Government, told Pepe to order the British leave or face retribution. Pepe tried to reason that the British were their allies knowing they would deal with any government on the island as long as they were against Napoleon. Laurent did not care who the British were against, just want they were against. “They stand for nothing we do. Their Parliament is a shame, nothing more than a guise for the aristocracy to rule. To see how much they love us, see what happen to Eire when they had their revolution.”
The British left Sicily, but not before handing off a letter from George IV to Ferdinand’s son, Francesco. He never received the letter as Laurent took it and read it to himself before burning. Francesco and the remaining royals Laurent held were soon executed for “plots against the people’s Revolution.” Laurent declared the establishment of the Sicilian Republic on June 1 and himself as Emergency Regent. An election would be open that November to all male citizen on the island. Any doubts of his political history were removed as he began ordering the deaths of those he considered “anti-revolutionary”. The only organization he did not attempt to antagonize was the military, fearing a potential coup if he did. However, after nearly 500 executions were carried out, Pepe had enough of “the maleficent activities of the little Imp.”
self_portrait_c1800_by_washington_allston_1779-1843_fogg_museum.jpg

Jacob Laurent​
Pepe tried to the contact the British to invade and reestablish order. Sadly, his message was intercepted by Adam Bain, then only a spy for Napoleon. Sending the message to Paris, Napoleon sent word to his brother Joseph, King of Naples. Compared to the rest of his family, even Napoleon, Joseph was a popular monarch. He enacted popular Enlighted reforms, increased trade, and abstained ruling with absolutist tendencies. The opportunity to reunite his kingdom was one he could not pass up. A joint French and Naples invasion occurred on September 16. There was no real navy to stop the landing and Pepe had agreed to submit so long as Sicilian autonomy and property rights of her people would be respected.
Like Ferdinand a year prior, Laurent fled but was able to escape to Portugal. Some say he was driven mad by the events in Sicily and that madness would conjure up “one of the most harmful intellectual ideas in history.” While in exile he would write, Alea Iacta Est, proclaiming that the world will be engulfed in a revolution within a generation. That the people would rise up once more and establish republican states.
Laurent’s republicanism was based on around society that held elected offices that people would vote for and that the person holding the obvious would represent the wishes of his constituents. He did not look back at the Roman Republic with glee and promised a new system that would “do away with aristocratic hierarchy.”
Unlike the Founding Fathers of America, he did not believe republics could last if they were too large. He claimed that future revolutions would take place from city to city and that “the vile empires of today will be shattered into numerous republican city-states that will better serve all the people’s needs.” He thought that Sicily would be suitable as the island had a distinct culture from the rest of Italy, but by the time he wrote his book Joseph had reunited the Kingdom of Naples. He condemned Pepe labeling him the “the Traitorous Frog” for allowing Sicily to fall to French imperialism. Alea Iacta Est would be published in 1824 and Laurent would return to France to hang himself on March 1. With no one to shed light on his writing, his book would be interpreted in a dozen different ways. Many lives were lost because of this.
pepe-jpg.384347
Excerpts from Alea Iacta Est
“The Revolutions of France, Eire, and America failed. In France, they set a fire so large and so hot that its people had nothing left to give by its end and when the despot Napoleon overthrew their greatness they folded and submitted. In Eire, who had been fighting this battle long before anyone us, were beaten down and crushed. But their spirit still remains strong and will not be destroyed by the Redcoats. Many still believe that the ‘revolt’ in British America succeeded. I challenge you this, is the African slave who languishes in the southern plantation’s equal to his master or does the disenfranchised bricklayer get the ear of a politician as the wealthy banker? America’s economic system of oppression, not that different from Britain’s, will never allow the lowest rungs of society to escape destitution.”
“Many colleagues have argued that a well-run republic can stretch across continents and be able last centuries. I do not accuse these men of being fools, I for one believe that many smarter men than I, but I do think they are misguided. For a republic to work, a unified people must be able to corporate with one another to allow progress. For if two or more groups are polarized, as human nature suggests, they may never back down and compromise. Therefore city-states or small regional powers, are the best mold for republics to flourish.”
The final paragraph of Alea Iacta Est
“There are many who stand in the way of the Revolution. There are those who believe it can be stopped. The harsher they suppress the people, in hopes they can destroy the Revolution, the worse the violence will be when it arrives. The aristocracy in France, Britain, Russia, and America, cannot even delay it. I promise this to the oppressors that with 30 years’ time the disgusted and harried people will bring you to book and drag you alive through the dirt in the streets!”

Attachments

• Nuv Flag.jpg
    Nuv Flag.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Pepe.jpg
    Pepe.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 2,111
Last edited:
Day of Long Blades
“That’s nobody’s business but the Turks.”
British Ambassador to France, George Spencer, to President of the Senate Jean Maximilien Lamarque, after it was discovered British military vessels were stationed in Istanbul.
In 1818, the last Ottoman soldiers left Serbia and a new state under King Miloš Obrenović. The Ottomans fought hard to secure the Balkans and Serbian victory was not guaranteed until French munitions and supplies were snuck through Illyrian and Austria. Francis I agreed to let them pass in hopes to not weaken the Ottomans, but regain lost territory in the Balkans. Sadly, Serbia had no intentions of rejoining the Habsburgs and Napoleon had no intentions of allows them either. He promised Serbian independence against “foreign powers that seek to undermine the young nation.” This angered Francis I more so than the execution of his first wife’s father, Ferdinand I, a year later. Heinrich Heine wrote that “the Corsican did more to drive Austria into the Prussian camp in a decade and a half than the entire Hohenzollern Dynasty.”
The Ottoman Empire was falling apart. The Greeks had begun their own revolution following Serbia and France now had direct access to them through the generous treaty with Serbia. Egypt under viceroy Muhammed Ali seemed like it would secede as well. Russia was eyeing Georgia to the south but had yet to strike. Luckily, the Turks had picked good enemies. Admiral Sidney Smith, who had served in the Egyptian campaign, arrived in Istanbul. Smith was ordered to simply “secure trade routes from Britain to the Black Sea” which seems unlikely due to the size of the British force that arrived and the harsh tension between the only other nation in the Black Sea, Russia.
upload_2018-4-30_22-13-52.png

Admiral Sidney Smith​
Smith was soon introduced to Ottoman Sultan Mahmud II. Mahmud II, perhaps confusion on his part, believed that Smith’s status was more than simply one admiral of whole British Empire. He knew that George IV was trying to knock the French back down and he knew he needed new allies. Asking for Smith’s council, he wanted to know how to prepare for “the next war.” Smith, as did Mahmud, saw the greatest threat to Ottoman security. However, Smith wrote that “I could destroy an empire with a single comment of bad advice.” He chose not to and experienced his disappointment at the sight of the once mighty Janissary Corps now full of “lazy, drunkard bureaucrats.”
Mahmud II agreed with him. His cousin, Selim III, tried to abolish the Janissaries in 1806, but they overthrew him and placed his half-brother, Mustafa IV, in power. He was overthrown a year later, and Mahmud II had ruled since. It was clear that the Janissaries had to go. Smith and Grand Admiral Mehmed Pasha began training a new army under the guise of naval exercises. By 1820, the Yeni Model Ordusu, named after Cromwell’s New Model Army, was a force to be reckoned with.
upload_2018-4-30_22-14-45.png

Sultan Mahmud II​
On September 9, came Uzun Bıçakların Günü or the Day of Long Blades that saw the downfall of the Janissaries. Orders were carried out through the Ottoman Empire targeting specific Janissary leaders. Over 200 names were listed and most were executed. In the fallout riots among the peasantry who took to streets targeting the Janissaries who had long been hated resulting in several thousands more deaths. The Sultan’s new soldiers were sent to put down these riots, but since most were from the same rebelling people opted to secure important government building only after the Janissaries fled.
By the next day, the Janissary Corps’ head had been cut off, and all prominent members in the government had been removed. “They have become eunuchs once more,” Smith wrote. The Yeni Model Ordusu would continue to expand until 1825. 75,000 strong, they were sent to fight in Greece, while the Greek government was stuck infighting between different regional fractions. George IV had threatened bankers who had given a loan to revolutionaries not to do it again. The Greeks had wasted the first loan so they were unwilling to give a second. French support for the Greeks soon wavered as Laurentism began to spread. If Greek independence was secured, they may splinter off into a dozen or so fragile republics, and Ottomans were bound to reconquer them. The final blow to Greek independence came after a crushing defeat at Corinth, separating the Greek army to the mainland.
Napoleon was willing to risk a war over Greece as was George IV, but if he did not have to, he would not. Contacting Carlo Andrea Pozzo di Borgo, he sent him an opportunity to Tsar Alexander. If Selim III was not willing to make “a resolution with the Greek people” Russia would strike against him. Napoleon’s suggestion was kept secret, but most knew who would be backing Russia if it happened. Russia had been the only major power support the Greeks by then in the name of Christendom.
upload_2018-4-30_22-17-17.png

Soldier of the Yeni Model Ordusu​
On June 29, the Peace of Crete was agreed upon that created the Principality of Greece which gave the Greek people a large amount of autonomy in the Ottoman Empire. While this weakened the Ottoman presence in the region, it did was not a total defeat. Better relations were established with Britain, a potential war with Russia was ended for the moment, and the military modernization proved effective. Salim III avoided calling for Egyptian support which would only tempt the ambitious Muhamad Ali for more power.
The agreement for the Principality of Greece was the Prince could be deposed by a popular vote this appeased the republicanism in the group, though Laurentism demanded more. However, the Prince must be chosen by the Sultan. Greece had selected three men that Sultan refused. It seemed as if Greece may rebel once more. The fourth candidate was a revolutionary, but of British heritage, not Greek heritage. George Gordon Byron, 6th Baron Byron, was approved by Selim III in 1826. Byron had arrived to fight in the war a few years prior though he had no military experience he brought financial support. George IV was not too pleased with this pick, as Byron was a supporter of Napoleon. Fortunately, Byron was willing to put his bias aside for that of his new nation. Though some argue Napoleon’s increased crackdowns on the political opposition may have soured Bryon’s adoration of him.
Prince Byron’s first goals were for Greek unification and financial independence. Being a foreign monarch of a land that was best known for its political division was no easy task. He converted to Greek Orthodox and took a Greek wife. Both of these were superficial as he had numerous affairs and possible two children out of wedlock which died early. He also attempted to organize the Greek language into a singular form by hiring linguistics to comply a Dictionary of Greek words and pronunciations. It would be well into the 20th century before a common Greek dialect was universal as some regions held on to the old way.
upload_2018-4-30_22-19-14.png

Prince Byron​
To secure Greek financial independence, Byron was able to pull a loan from Great Britain in 1828 since George IV was no long a threat. He aimed to revitalize Greek ports and to bring foreign investors into the region. Byron was concerned by many to be the first modern-day celebrity, and if he anyone could convince that Greek artifacts were in, they would be so. Wealthy merchants, aristocrats, and artist flocked to Greece to get a glimpsed at the birthplace of Western Civilization. He was able to construct roads to previously isolated villages increasing migration to cities.
He greatest achievement, however, was the revival of the ancient Olympic Games. Held by the ancient Greeks to honor their god Zeus and end hostilities between the cities states, Byron sought to give Greece a distinct identity and remove the influence of the Ottomans. In first Modern Olympic Games was held in 1840 in Pyrgos, the closest major city to where the original Olympic Games were held. 15 nations participated with over 200 athletes in events including track and field, wrestling, shooting, sailing, gymnastics, tennis and swimming. Besides the rush of national competition, there was easing on international tensions, for the most part, where leaders could visit on friendly terms and discuss world affairs. As Samuel Clemens said, “God created war so that Americans would learn geography. Zeus created the Games so Americans knew who to shoot first.”
Countries and their number of athletes
upload_2018-4-30_22-30-7.png

Maxwell's Compromise
“The young man arrived at my townhouse bleeding and with a deep cut below his right eye. When I asked him, what had happened he gave no response. When I offered him tea and place to stay who took it gladly. I do fear it had to do with you.”
1819 letter from Richard Arnold to George II concerning his son. George II never received the letter as Lucy Washington took it and discarded it.
George II was currently not a popular man. He had just vetoed the Tallmadge Amendment, a bill that proposed prohibiting slavery in Missouri if it wished to become a state. It has passed in both the House and the Senate, though barely in the latter, and George II struck it down. He tried to avoid the topic of slavery, though the state of Virginia would profit as a slave trading state, but rather that he believed it was unconstitutional to deny this state, who had let push for admission to the union, to “be required to dance like a fool until Congress is contempt.”
Northern Emancipationists were in upheaval and the few Congressmen from slave states were reluctant to vote in favor of it again. Roger Taney, who had opposed it original praised George II “for once taking the side of the people.” Emancipationist had more political power than public connections and the average man from Ohio or Mayne did not have to deal with their political rants. Unfortunately, George III had to deal with them a lot. Having said goodbye to his family, friends and his manservant Louie, he left for Harvard in 1817. The American Colonization League had few Southern members. At first, they thought the heir to Washington legacy was a good thing, but after his father’s veto, he was ostracized from his friends. After getting into a fight and retreating to Arnold’s townhouse in Boston, he decided to move in with him as he continued his studies.
upload_2018-5-14_21-22-38.png

Anti-Nationalist propaganda against George II​
The relationship between George III and Richard was parallel to that of their fathers, though great controversy state it was more intimate. Instead of the world of military and politics, they found a partnership in industry and capital. “I learned more from that man than I did any scholar who attempted to educate me.” Arnold would take him on many of his business trips across New England. A contract with US Army had a great impact on George III.
Colonel Miles Irwin and Martin Ferguson meet with Arnold and George III at his weapons factory in Middletown, Connecticut. Ferguson had developed a design for Irwin’s 5-pounder cannon or the Fist Cannon. It was meant to replace Napoleon’s 6-pounder as the key piece of American field artillery and Irwin was keen in developing a mobile military cannon. However, Ferguson’s design had one problem, he had no way of manufacturing it. He lacked the materials for Irwin’s demands. He wanted a prototype and enough weaponry for eight regiments with six cannons each. Even if he could, Congress would not pay for “a foreign company” to produce it. Though this may have been anti-Ferguson sentiment, there was some hostility in the air with the chance that Quebec could refuse to join the Union. Irwin did not have time to bargain with Congress as the Election of 1820 was coming and George II’s reelection, or even nomination, was not guaranteed. If the Nationalist were out of office, the peacetime military spending could be cut off.
Irwin offered Arnold a fair price to produce his cannons. Ferguson was okay with his competitor making his cannons, Arnold did not plan on being on manufacturing weapons for the long run, as he was promised to produce the remaining 5-pounders after Quebec became a state. As a businessman, Arnold lunged at the deal, but as an American “[he] felt a darkness suffocating around [him] as [he] agreed.” He did not like Ferguson; it was not rivalry simply disgust as many felt for Ferguson. His reluctance was undone by his obligation to Colonel Irwin, whose efforts at the Battle of Abingdon saved his father’s war efforts. If Irwin believed this cannon would be the future, he would help him.
upload_2018-5-14_21-28-14.png

Miles Irwin with Green Coats, first year MM soldiers​
George III asked why he loathed Martin Ferguson. It was the same reason as many did because “he is a turncoat and traitor same as his father.” George III tried not to judge a man by where they came from while Arnold believed that the apple did not far from the tree. Perhaps the relationship between their fathers shines some light upon it. Arnold glorified his while George III, though he respected his, tried to walk his own path even against his father’s wishes.
Arnold also complained of “the man’s ability to praise liberty and turn to chattel slavery the next day.” George III asked him of his views on slavery, which he had yet to discuss fearing a heated argument. Like most men in his time, Arnold held average racial views. He did not think that whites were necessarily superior to other races just that “either preordained or by nature, a white man will complete a task faster than most, but that does not mean a negro can’t complete the task too.” He believed that every man deserved the chance to rise in the world and that “equality does not exist in nature. The snake eats the mouse and there is no fair warning. Man has created equality, and he must secure it.” Though Richard Arnold is seen by many as low-life man of high birth, even himself, he believed that “all men should have the chance to be greedy and lustful as I.” Slaves were not allowed this opportunity, which is why he refused to deal with slave states in any major business. George III thought his relationship with Arnold would be damaged after this due to his family’s ties to slavery, but he assured the young man that he did not hold what his father did against him for he “had yet to gain the honor of his father’s actions.”
George III would soon leave Harvard and begin working under Richard Arnold as his apprentice. Lucy Washington was furious as “Mammon has stolen my child!” George II had larger issues to deal with as Quebecois officials announced that a referendum to join the Union would take place May 2, 1820. They had chosen the earliest date to have it following the Peace of Burges. On top of that, he also had Missouri statehood and his own campaign to deal with that year.
upload_2018-5-14_21-37-8.png

George III circa 1820s​
He wrote frantically to Aaron Burr. He needed to know what the people were thinking. He feared what would become of Quebec, and those who had supported annexation, if they failed to join the Union. In spring, he traveled up to York and then to Quebec City. York was most opposed to annexation as this was the most English part of the territory. Many believed that the Americans would seek revenge against the people of York if they became a state. George II assured them that “their rights have yet to be threatened and if you do join our Grand Republic, your rights as American will be secured for a thousand generations.” This is the first recorded instance of the Union being referred to as the Grand Republic.
The population of Quebec City was warmer and held a parade for him once he entered. He met with war heroes of the Second Quebecois War including Clément Gosselin, who had just turned 72. He congratulated Gosselin on his hard work throughout these years and soon he would have his reward. His meeting with Burr was less pleasant. There was a good chance that Quebec would apply for statehood, but Congress could still reject. The anti-catholic sentiment was common, especially in the South. York wanted their own state as well. There was already an imbalance between the slave and free states, so the South would not allow this either.
George II returned to the Presidential Mansion in a melancholy mood. He had dreamed of Quebec’s addition to the Union since the War for American Dominion now would seem as all other forces were stacked against him. Writing to Napoleon, the two had kept up a correspondence since their first meeting in 1803, he told him of his wishes to “retire the old method of allowing the mobs to impose what was wrong and take control and do what is right.” He may have tried something drastic in those days before the referendum as he tried to contact Emmitt Doran, now a Federal Marshal, and asked him to “gather up loyal boys and report to the Capital” luckily, he was currently trying to resolve an issue with Cherokee as they moved to Mississippi. Doran did not always like to be seen as George II’s errand boy, but he had his loyalty and would “serve the General until dismissed.”
64b9cc85009744ee3da4afeaa3ffe360.jpg

Emmitt Doran, with a pistol, "resolving" the Cherokee situation​
While George II was away in Quebec, Maxwell Stephens was busy preparing a deal to secure its annexation. Stephens was the current Secretary of the Navy, though he had never served in the Navy, he was too popular after his service in the Peace if Burges for him not to go after a cabinet position. As money poured into armed forces he used it to increase the fleet size and pay of the sailors. Trade did well under his tenure as a more respectable Navy was under his wing. Things were going well for the Ohioan, however, the error of Quincy Adams that cost him his place in his party could soon affect him. Unlike most of George II’s cabinet, Maxwell had a good number of friends in Congress from both North and South. They meet over drinks and he brought up the topic of a compromise that would allow annexation of Quebec. Nationalist William Lowndes and Democratic-Republican Stephen Miller told Maxwell, though promised nothing, that the South would support Quebecois statehood if “slavery would be tolerated in the new Western states including Mississippi.”
In response to their demands, Federalist Jonathon Hemsworth shouted, “we want the frogs in this Union no more than we want your negros!” After tempers vanished, the Northern delegates concluded that they may accept slavery’s expansion, those present were not known to be Emancipationist, if Congress increased the tariffs on imports, supported a bill to increase funding to internal development and transportation and for the vacant Supreme Court seat to go to a Northern. Henry Livingston had died in February and George II had not put much effort into selecting a nomination. Maxwell though this could be done.
In late March during a Cabinet meeting, Maxwell brought his proposal that his allies wanted to introduce into Congress. They were split Stone, Secretary of the Treasury, thought slave labor could bring economic prosperity to the West and thought that farmers would require better transportation to the cities. Pike, Secretary of War, feared clashes between slave and free militias. Henry Lee III, his Vice President, thought it would appease both sides well enough and avoid such a conflict. Hamilton, the Secretary of State, angrily opposed the compromise. “I will not take part of this slave administration,” he told the others. Hamilton wanted the economic reforms for the nation, but “would not trade it for the death of freedom’s cause.”
Frothingham_JonathanBrooks.jpg

Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of State​
George II dismissed his meeting and was left to think about this on his own. He said he was reading a French newspaper that he had picked up in Quebec that night that contained an open letter. It was written by a man who had served in the war and who support US annexation. “I have lost three brothers due to fighting and disease,” he wrote, “I can not say where their hearts lie on the matter, but for the only surviving family member my dreams do lie in the States. Too much has been lost to lose much more.” George II had come to his conclusion; he would support Maxwell’s Compromise.
He wrote to Hamilton informing him of his decision and that he would accept his resignation if he wished to leave his administration. “History may remember as the man who continued the enslavement of a people, but they will also remember me as the man who liberated another. If there is no other way to solve it then I must choose this path.” Hamilton never resigned. He claimed that he had to put what was better for the country first even if he detested the idea of expanding slavery. Others believed he had nowhere else to go in the political sphere.
George II nominated a Northern for the vacant spot in the Supreme Court. He picked John Quincy Adams. A bold choice, given their history and Quincy Adams’ faltering reputation in the North. If it had not been for the Mayne debacle he may not have accepted the post. The Judicial Branch was the weakest of the three and this may have been a way to get rid of him. Though an accomplished lawyer, he had never served as a judge. Quincy Adams first felt insulted that George II would demean him, but his fellow Federalist felt differently. They knew he was done for and insisted he resign and “go take the black.” He was quickly approved by Congress and became an Assistant Justice on April 2.
John_Quincy_Adams_by_Gilbert_Stuart_1818.jpg

John Quincy Adams, Assistant Justice​
Missouri was admitted into the Union with slavery, but Maxwell was unable to get slavery complete expanded into the rest of Louisiana Territory. Instead, Louisiana Territory was split into three parts. Arkansaw, Platte, and Yellowstone. Slavery would be allowed in Arkansaw and Platte, the latter’s border was formed mostly by the Platte River. A slight increase in tariffs and internal developments were approved. The reason for the speedy action of Congress was due mostly to the Society of the Cincinnati’s influence in politics. They had accepted Quebecois members into their ranks and they were vocal proponents in the group for annexation mostly for protection of economic ties. The SOC’s actions were not too infamous during this chapter in American History. Most politicians were coerced by bribes or blackmail.
The referendum in Quebec began May 2 and would end May 4. It began on a Tuesday to allow farmers time to travel to cities on Monday but to attend church on Sunday. Règle Libre went across Quebec to escort as many eligible voters as they could. Any man 20 years old could vote, regardless of their ability to understand English. Ballots were available in both English and French. The election process in Quebec City was mostly peaceful. The bedridden Gosselin was carried to cast the first vote. “As a Quebecois man, I do vote here and soon, before I am taken to see my Father, I be an American.”
In York, things were different. Officials tried to bar people who could not speak English, though in some places it was French, and fights occurred. Burr had moved his quarters further South to Montreal and stationed more men there in case of this. York was culturally different than the rest of Quebec, having been the hub of English immigration since before the War for American Dominion. Many loyalists fled there and were stubborn to not return to the Union. There were talks of making Burr King of Quebec. He may have been able to do it, the Quebecois and the army supported him. If Burr was a willing man, he could have done it, but instead, he sent soldiers into York to restore order and continue the vote.
Burr was given the honor to announce the vote on the evening of May 4. “I am proud to announce that Quebec will go before Congress to ask for admission to the United States of America.” Historians would regard this vote as the most peculiar in the Western World. “The French had done everything they could to separate themselves from the English and then Quebec chose to join with the Americans.” Wrote William Cody. It was far from a close election as roughly 65% of the votes went towards annexation.
Quebec had established a Constitution while it was under occupation and was sent along with Louis-Joseph Papineau of Montreal to Congress. The debates were heated. Federalist wanted French Quebecois to take a loyalty oath. Roger Taney countered their request with one that required English Quebecois to take an oath instead since “our Catholic brother fought with us while their Protestant neighbors fought against us twice.” Many in Congress were trying to waste time until the first session ended. So that they would have time to see how their voters would think by November. George II would have it done now. He drew up an order for Burr recalling the military forces in Quebec. When Henry Lee announced the President’s order to he promised that, “civil war will erupt if you gentlemen do not decide soon.”
On March 15, Quebec became a state. Many did argue to make Quebec a state, mostly Nationalist fearing the state’s power in the House. However, the South was solid against it as Quebec voted unanimously to outlaw slavery in their Constitution. Quebec would be the largest state, to enter the Union with over 500,000 residents. This would make it the 9th most populous state in the Union. Many wanted proper voting regulations and to pass an amendment requiring voters to understand English. George II promised to veto any such legislature if it was approved.
upload_2018-5-14_21-15-42.png

North America 1820​

Down South
“Today the government official opened. It was a disaster.”
Santa Anna
April 7, 1817, the delegates to the Mexican Legislature meet for the first time. The largest party was the conservative Tory Party of Mexico led by Juan O'Donojú. Emperor Agustín had his crown, but that did not give him the power to rule alone. By the Constitution, Agustín had to “appoint” a Prime Minister from the Lower House, today it is known as People’s Assembly. The People’s Assembly was compromised of representatives from every district of the Empire. The opposition, the Republican Party, was led by Guadalupe Victoria.
The first topic at hand was the increasing instability in Guatemala. The Tories called for a state of emergency to be declared and for soldiers to be led by Santa Anna to restore order. The request came for the British government as their colonies British Honduras and Mosquito Coast were under threat. Thomas Grenville warned Agustín that, “[London] would see it fit to not do business with a nation that could not suppress eternal strife. Unless it was conquest.”
upload_2018-6-16_19-58-51.png

British Holdings in Central America​
The debates were brutal as Republican José Cecilio del Valle spoke for over two hours listing abuses of the government and grievances from Central America. Most of what he said fell on deaf ears as Republicans cheer him on as Tories booed. It was all turned to shock and gasps as Republican Miguel Domínguez fell to the floor and collapsed. Miguel Domínguez died of natural causes, but many saw it as a bad omen or a sign from God that their troubles were about to begin.
Eventually, an army under Ignacio López Rayón was approved to “settle disputes between the local and Mexican government.” Santa Anna would instead stay in Mexico City as adjacent to James Wilkerson. Most of his duties were composed of ceremonies and security for the city. He also provided “extra protection” for the members of Parliament. Santa Anna was an opportunist who, perhaps above all, valued glory and love of the people. The young officer gained respect for his role during the Peace of Bruges, but he had yet to make a name for himself in the new Empire. He had hoped to take the army into Central America, but the Republicans wanted Rayón instead.
“I spoke to [the American] often about his life in the Northern Republic.” He wrote in his memoirs. “There was deep sadness in those talks masked under rum.” If Santa Anna could not obtain a military command he would have to seek another one towards glory. He met with Ambassador Grenville and talked about the promises he made back in Bruges. Grenville told him he could promise nothing. Santa Anna asked for him to remove the restriction of Mexican trade with Britain as Mexican ships were only able to trade in the ports of Florida and Cuba. This was to give the new colonies extra revenue and a better foothold in the Caribbean trade, especially the underdeveloped Florida. Grenville knew this could not be done so soon. He then asked for an exception Veracruz City. Santa Anna was from Veracruz, the state not the city, and thought this would at least make him popular with the local population. Grenville wrote to his brother who was able to pass the Veracruz Inclusion Act, excluding the port city from passing through Cuba or Florida before trading with Great Britain. Though Santa Anna was praised for his actions, it has been argued that his interference may have delayed the entirely of Mexico from receiving similar treatment as George IV had pushed for less restricting trade policies, but Parliament was contempt with their situation with Mexico.
Cuba was a valuable asset to the British Empire and would stand as the symbol for the transfer of power of Latin American from Spain to Britain. By the time Britain took over the island, its population reached 630,980. Broken down, 291,021 were white, 115,691 free people of color and 224,268 black slaves. The anxiety of a slave revolt was high, and investors were reluctant to issue capital. When Arthur George was made governor in 1816, he aimed to relieve the island of that potential threat. He quickly undid the casta system, the racial based hierarchy of the Spanish colonies, this move, however, was not one of liberation, but to displace mixed raced groups he feared may undermine British control of the colony. He installed infamous Black Codes that restricted the rights of the recently made freeman. It should be observed that unlike American slavery at the time, Cuban slavery reflected the status of the economy. Slavery picked up or dropped as the economy did. Though the slave trade had been abolished by the British in 1807, Arthur George did little to curtail or punish slavers who smuggled their cargo on the island.
upload_2018-6-16_20-0-52.png

Campos para Domar by Raul Piñón, 1885​
Latin American Wars for Independence ended in 1822 as the last Spanish forces were driven from the Western portion of the South American continent. San Martin had liberated Chili and Bolivar’s army had taken Quito, their forces converged at Trujillo. The city surrendered on June 10 and Bolivar proclaimed, “peace in our time!” However, after the Spanish were no longer a threat the revolutionaries entered a power struggle. San Martin wished to make a new offensive against the British control Rio de la Plata. The British presence had waned as they began to fortify Cuba and Florida, but San Martin needed help. Antonio José de Sucre was said to have “offered the arms of Gran Colombia to free [his] lands from British oppression,” but many believe that Sucre would never make such a statement without consulting Bolivar first.
Bolivar, at the moment, could not send forces all the way to Buenos Aries. 1822 was an election year in Gran Colombia and Bolivar’s position was not a secured as he hoped. There were talks of overthrowing him by the opposition, composed mostly of Colombians. He doubted he would have to use the army to maintain control if he won and stated that he would “follow the conduct of the Good General [George I]” and leave office. Either way the appearance of power was sufficient and more beneficially than the threat of it so he commanded that Sucre return Bogota.
The infamous Paez Letter, called so because he was delivered by Jose Antonio Paez, was written by Bolivar to Sucre declaring San Martin a “wolf among lambs.” He would send him men that would lead to slaughter and leave Gran Colombia defenseless against the British. Bolivar was convinced that San Martin was allied, or an underling, with the British crown. Many sources, including Sucre, show that San Martin was only buying time and resources so that he had a chance to attack the British. Bolivar believed that San Martin was counter-revolutionary and wished to return Latin American under European yoke.
San Martin could understand not sending men for his cause, but on June 30 he saw “a most outrageous statement an insult.” The flag of Peru, which San Martin had designed, was lower and the flag of Gran Colombia raised. Peruvians and Colombians fought over the removal, but the Colombian soldiers were better equipped in most cases. San Martin had left two days prior but returned and demanded to speak with Sucre. Following orders from Bogota that Peru was now part of the republic he raised the banner of Gran Colombia. Though Bolivar never spoke out against the act of Congress, he did little to obstruct it.
His meeting with Sucre would most likely have done little to change the situation, but Colombian soldiers began a fight with Peruvian militias and San Martin’s men intervened. San Martin was captured, and his men surrendered. San Martin was put on trial for “hostilities against [Gran Colombian] Republic.” Fortunately, the HMS Havana landed in Riohacha and General Pedro de Alcántara Téllez-Girón, Spanish noble who fled to Cuba after Joachim took over, made his way to Bogota with an ultimatum from Governor George Arthur-
Dear Sir,
I must inform you, that currently, your government has in its possession a man that is under the
protection of my nation's Parliament. I must ask you to release him or I may be forced to release
him myself. I do not wish to meet you as enemies, but I am bound by my duty as are you. I
think it would be best for our mutually well being to handle this matter as civil as possible,
but I am prepared to act if you are not.
George Arthur
upload_2018-6-16_20-4-57.png
By the time the letter made it to Bolivar, it was mid-November. He did not want to seem weak to foreign aggression, but the 120-gun vessel, with three additional 80-gunships, was too real of threat. The Gran Colombian Navy or Armada de la República de Colombia consisted of only one ship of the line, a few frigates and a handful of smaller vessels. Bolivar wanted to know that if San Martin was under British protection why was he raiding Spanish lands. Girón tried to explain that he was only recently placed under British protection, but Bolivar claimed that this was a violation of the Peace of Bruges. Girón’s position was that the British were not attempting to establish control over Peru. “That would be your nation, President Bolivar,” Girón told him.
Bolivar ordered San Martin’s release but confiscated much of his supplies and arms to safe so some grace. Bolivar was reelected and in his second inaugural address, he berated the “traitors of the cause of liberty” and his final that “the Revolution has only begun, and we will usher this continent into the New Era” sounded similar to something Laurent would say. William Harrison, the American ambassador to Gran Colombia, attended the ceremony. Writing back to Washington, he stated that “personal preferences beside, we have a common enemy” that of Great Britain.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-16_19-43-56.png
    upload_2018-6-16_19-43-56.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 180
Map Battles of the Second Quebecois War
Sorry my last update took a while I was working on this among other things. I took me a while to upload this in a format that could be read easily. If anyone knows of a clear way to upload a large file onto here that would be great.
Map War (1).png

Jul 4, 1871
“Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. Today, on July Fourth Eighteen Seventy-One, we look back to those who by signing their names on the Declaration of Independence committed treason. Five were captured and killed by the Reds and another nine died serving their nation. They served as you men do now. I do not think my self as skilled as the Good General, but I do think you men are as brave as any group that has ever marched onto the battlefield. I know many of you are tired and wish to go home. Many do not know why we are here. I wish it might be more generally and universally understood what the country is now engaged in. There is more involved in this contest than is realized by everyone. There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. Our brothers, and I do intend to treat them as such, have been misled by an enemy. With rebellion thus sugar coated they have been drugging the public mind of their section for more than thirty years, and until at length they have brought many good men to a willingness to take up arms against the Government the day after some assemblage of men have enacted the farcical pretense of placing their Party above the Union who could have been brought to no such thing the day before. Having given these stars and the position in which I accepted to serve, many politicians offered rewards and favors for me to use my army as they saw fit. I told them ‘gold is good in its place; but living, brave, and patriotic men are better than gold.’ I wish for you here, officers and enlisted alike, to celebrate this Fourth of July. May you live to see many more. I have sent a message to our enemy. ‘Today we celebrate our Independence Day.’”
-Brigadier General Abraham Aaron Lincoln, 1871
antietam.jpg

General Lincoln, who prefered to wear civilian clothes, with his staff during the Great Lakes Campaign of the War of American Succession

"Wery interesting future development," said the squat bespectacled Prussian soldier who watching this event while lying prone in the tall grass.

An Era of Mixed Feelings
“It is a pleasure to be here in the Great State of Quebec. I came here originally when I was not yet a man, but just a boy. I made good friends here. The honorable Monsieur Gosselin with us here today and President Arnold, God rest his soul. I came here with a dream of a Freeland and 1783 we partially fulfilled that dream. But I did not give up on Quebec nor did many other good men especially those in Règle Libre. We bid our time and when we finally returned we struck British tyranny down to Hell below. Two thousand years ago, in the Old World, the greatest people cried ‘civis romanus sum’. Today, in this New World, the free people cry ‘Je viens du Québec’.”
George II, 1820
upload_2018-7-4_21-16-7.png

Flag of the state of Quebec, similar to the flag of Acadia, but with the red and blue matching the US Flag​
George II did not do much during the week of the election. He spent a good deal of the daylight hours with his kid and Lucy. George III, who had recently dropped out of Harvard to pursue his business partnership with Richard Arnold, arrived to conduct business but to also see his father through the difficult time. “There were a lot of concerns back then,” George III wrote, “Questions of the future and doubt on certain decisions of my father’s administration.” He would also meet Eliza, daughter of Alexander Hamilton, who also journeyed to Washington to support her father. He spent time with Benedict, training him for Fort Arnold along with his nephew Robert. Martha was his angel, he thought her so pure and without a flaw. “I’ve seen that look many times since I was a child,” Maria told historian Jean Gavreau, “it’s the look of a desperate man wanting to escape. Most men don’t make good decisions when they have that look.” Thomas Washington, still a toddler, was read stories and tucked into bed by his father.
At night, he met with his cabinet. They mostly talked about trivial political matters over drinks and game of poker or billiards. Aaron Burr was appointed Commanding General of the United States Army after his return from Quebec. Philip Hamilton, who had won reelection in the New York State Assembly, also attended these meetings. Though many believe a hidden agenda by the Society of the Cincinnati was discussed during these late-night talks most have concluded that it was simply “old men chatting about what can be done next.”
George II accomplished what he wanted to do. He had asserted American dominion over Quebec while knocking the British down a peg, maintained a healthy alliance with France, and avoided a potential conflict over slavery. The Nationalist Party was very popular and would take keep of Congress after the election but the same could not be said about George II. Some supported removing him from the ballot, but that would make the party seem unstable. George II had sacrificed the name of Washington for his legacy. His father had refused a third term for he knew his own standing had faltered with the Democratic-Republicans. If he did not win this election all his acts would be for not. He would be a failure in his eyes.
December 3, 1820, the ballots were all counted. In a surprising upset, George II won 187 electoral votes out of 225 and carried 19 out of 23 states. Though he had only 40% popular vote, the lowest victory for a US President then. He took many states, especially those in the North, due to the emergence of a fourth party, the Calvert Party. Formed in Maryland in 1815 by politicians and locals who protested the nearly unchecked power of President Arnold. They had grown in numbers in Maryland since then and other states. They took the name Calvert from the founder of Maryland, Cecil Calvert. Unsurprisingly, Catholics Americans support this party as they held a certain degree of tolerance towards different faiths. An oath of loyalty to not allow faith to interfere on matters of state was required for all of their members who sought office regardless of faith. “Worse than the man in Rome is the fool in London,” was a common quip against Anglicans.
upload_2018-7-4_20-59-16.png

Election of 1820, Samuel Smith, who had ran as the Democratic-Republican nominee, ran under the Calvert Party Ticket​
The Calvert Party also attracted many Protestants with their harder stance against the Nationalists. Many had been disappointed by the Democratic-Republican since the unfortunate death of Henry Clay and saw the party continue to back down to the Nationalists. The Calvert Party support strong state government, reducing the size of the military during peacetime and ending the Franco-American Alliance. “I will not find my sons captive on ships to France to be used as cannon fodder for when the Corsican’s petty kingdoms fight over his corpse like Alexander [the Great]’s commanders,” said George Calvert, a descendant of Cecil Calvert through an illegitimate father. George Calvert supported the party though never took up offers to run. Surprisingly, another Calvert, Eleanor Calvert, married George II’s older half-brother, John Park Curtis.
By 1820, the Calvert had a small majority in Maryland General Assembly and several members in Congress. After Maxwell’s Compromise, they took up and official stance on slavery. The Nationalist had taken the blind approach, not confronting it until it was almost too late. The Calvert in their newspaper, The Independent Sun, announced they would “defend the rights of every man in their respective state on the issues concerning that state” or as George III said it they “would defend the right of a man to hold others in chains and then chastise that same man if he wished to bring them in a state that it was frowned upon.” Though George III may have been a little cynical in his view. Many Calvert Party members would only defend one side of that issue and not care about the other. This method would only hold up so long as the slave issue was left to each state and not brought before Congress. Though some like Roger Taney wanted it to be brought up so it could be settled for once.
Calvert_family_banner.png

Flag of the Calvert Party​
When the Election of 1820 came near, there was a division on whether or not to run a candidate for the Presidential Mansion. It could cost them dearly if they lost and they did not have the resources to spend and they may just end up splitting the vote for Democratic-Republican and handing George II an easy victory. Edgar Poe argued nearly a decade later, “if they had waited until the next election, George the Bastard would have lost, and his tyranny would have been done with.” The results of the election proved it was a good risk as they beat the Democratic-Republican in the popular vote though came last in the electoral vote winning only Maryland. Their strongest support came from the Catholic dominated areas of Maryland, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Quebec and western state populated by French immigrants. Though having the Catholic bloc was not enough to win them the presidency they took seats from Virginia to Mayne.
The Election of 1820 sent a schism throughout the Democratic-Republicans. Their prestige as a party had waned and it was too late to try an appeal as an opposition party. “With regards to the Democrats [Republicans],” Secretary of State Hamilton said, “what could they stand for.” Many split to join the Calvert Party, some with the Nationalist and one or two smaller parties. The exodus to the Calvert Party was led by Roger Taney, still a Congressmen from Maryland, and a Catholic. By 1822 midterms, the Democratic-Republicans were no more. The Federalist would linger on to the late 1820s.
The only Federalist President, John Adams, in a correspondence with the only Democratic-Republican, Thomas Jefferson, warned of the potential dangers of this new party “so eager to rip apart the establishment along with the laws of the land.” Jefferson tried to quell his fears about the Calvert party as “as the Old Guard fades to dust a new generation must take up their cause and support their values. I trust that theirs will be as noble as ours.”
upload_2018-7-4_21-21-39.png

US House of Representatives-122 Nationalist, 27 Democratic Republican, 18 Federalist, 12 Calvert​
The first major duty of George II, after his second inauguration, was selecting a new Chief Marshal. Elijah Mitchell had died January 2, 1821. It was reported as syphilis, but his wife denied that she had the disease leading to the conclusion for many years he had got it from a prostitute. Documents from the Society of the Cincinnati (SOC) revealed that they had paid the doctor to claim it was that. It is unknown what the real cause of death was or if the SOC was responsible for his death. They denied such claims and though there was a personal vendetta between him and Benjamin Lamb, the current President General of SOC, there was nothing strong enough to warrant his death, but perhaps a rumor to humiliate him. George II first pick was Emmitt Doran. Doran was referred to by many as the War Dog. To George II he saw it as a compliment of his rough and adventures nature to other as said by Henry Lee, “his devotion to the president is that to a hound and his master.” Doran did not care what others called him as most would call for his help one way or another.
Though he had met George II while serving under him, he met his son while transporting him, Richard Arnold and Martin Ferguson to Fort McHenry in Baltimore for a demonstration of their new cannon. Transportation was dangerous to a degree with a few incidents of looters and the marshals having to stop a bank robber at a town they stop at, but in Doran’s words, as reported by George III, “it was a quiet event.” This event was used as the pilot episode of The Gatekeepers, a show that aired from 1958 to 1964 about the adventures of Emmitt Doran and other Federal Marshals.
Few besides George II felt that Doran could fulfill the duties as Chief Marshal as it was mostly an administrative role that would keep him in Washington most of the time. Doran had little formal schooling, having grown up in near poverty in North Carolina, and did not learn to read or write until his late teens. When asked if he would take the position he told George II, “I may lack the size to fit such a position,” though some sources claim he said, “I lack the size to fit such a position but perhaps if lounge and feast I may be secured.” George II appointed Isiah Crowell as Chief Marshal instead.
The demonstration of the Ferguson’s 5-pounder cannon went well, and George II wished to integrate them into the Army’s artillery, though he was wary of adding them to Navy due to already drastic changes since the Second Quebecois War. Hamilton advocated against it seeing the increased military budget as unnecessary. David Stone, George II’s Secretary of the Treasury, did not agree with Hamilton on the issue. George II wanted “to scare the Red out of Florida.” Hamilton commented that “the man [George II] still thinks we’re fighting a war.”
George II’s aggressive behavior did not go unnoticed. The British Parliament had been debating centralizing authority in North America and after George II’s second inaugural address that he stated his “administration would not be known for idleness and that it would not let the free people of the world lie in darkness. We will be welcomed as liberators just as we were 10 years prior.” There he was referring to the beginning of the Second Quebecois War. If another war was to happen, the colonies would have to be better prepared for it.
Effective after January 1, 1822, the colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Edward’s Island and Newfoundland Island would fall under the rule of the Anglian Confederation. The Anglian Confederation was not granting home rule to the North American colonies, though it did appease many who wanted it but was made for the colonies to become more cooperative in the face of American aggression.
upload_2018-7-4_21-14-19.png

Flag of the Anglican Confederation, the Silver Bar was made to represent a shield from the colony's southern neighbors​
Also stemming from George II’s increase military spending came a bruise to a prideful man’s ego. While in Washington, Martin Ferguson wished to acquire citizenship to the SOC. The organization was for veterans of the American military, but an exception had been made for those in Règle Libre and others who fought against the British. Martin Ferguson fell into neither category. Many families who fled to Quebec after the War for American Dominion and had stayed were harassed for a time about their Loyalist roots, but that passed. For Ferguson, he could not escape it because he tried his best to act like it was never there. Charles Ferguson, his son, said that “My father denied his father, but others would not let him. ‘Fergu-Son’ is how he was labeled in many newspapers.” At a dinner, he met Benjamin Lamb and asked about membership. Obviously insulted by his request, Lamb told him to wait at the Tennyson Hotel until he could hold a meeting regarding his membership with other senior members. After a week of waiting, the hotel wanted their money. Ferguson claimed Lamb had told him his expensive would be paid, Lamb denied this, and Ferguson was left with the bill. Ferguson had no money on him, so he had to beg General Burr to pay for his stay until he could return to Quebec. After chastising Ferguson, he paid for his stay and sent him away. “My father would continue to humble himself in front of them to be part of their inner circle. They created a monster that day. Me.”
170px-Andrew_Carnegie_circa_1878_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_17976.jpg

Charles Ferguson, the Merchant of Death​

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-4_21-14-0.png
    upload_2018-7-4_21-14-0.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 220
  • upload_2018-7-4_21-15-43.png
    upload_2018-7-4_21-15-43.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 194
  • upload_2018-7-4_21-15-54.png
    upload_2018-7-4_21-15-54.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 171