George V dies in 1892

The surname of the new royal family would be naturally MacDuff and we would see many differences with OTL in the titles of the royal family as George V was responsable of many of the changes in the titles of the royal family (the Windsor surname, the restrictions on the HRH, the stripping of the German titles for the English princes or of the english dukedoms for the german cousins)... Louise's husband will live longer than OTL as his death at the end of January 1912 was almost surely a direct consequence of the shipwreck of the previous December in which he will never be involved here. Louise will stay as Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Alexandra will be Duff and then will depend on her husband (Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg if she marry Christopher, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha again if she marry her OTL husband Arthur of Connaught). Fife, Connaught/Christopher's Royal Dukedom (if he will have one) will likely become the new surname of the Royal family

Louise was already married to Fife before her brothers' death so that will not change anything...
If her younger sister Victoria will marry Adolphus she will marry HSH the Prince Adolphus of Teck, heir of the Duke of Teck (morganatic branch of the house of Württemberg but still on the same level of mediatized houses so perfectly acceptable as consorts for royalty).

May of Teck will cry for her fiancè and his brother and then search another husband (maybe Ernest Louis of Hesse will be interested in marrying her instead of Victoria Melita if the latter and Kirill will be more determined and do not let their relatives stopping their desire to marry? Or May as second wife of Paul Alexandrovich also would be interesting)

Although I particularly regard Adolphus as a good party, Victoria and Louise despised the teck for being of German ancestry perhaps, so it would be somewhat difficult for Victoria to marry him. On the title of the family = Macduff seems more appropriate if Alix married Christopher it would be a mistake to adopt an English surname whereas if she married Arthur an Irish surname (I am not sure) would not be appropriate. I do not know much about Ernest to know if they would make a good match but i would particularly prefer May and Paul

Last edited:
Although I particularly regard Adolphus as a good party, Victoria and Louise despised the teck for being of German ancestry perhaps, so it would be somewhat difficult for Victoria to marry him. On the title of the family = Macduff seems more appropriate if Alix married Christopher it would be a mistake to adopt an English surname whereas if she married Arthur an Irish surname (I am not sure) would not be appropriate. I do not know much about Ernest to know if they would make a good match but i would particularly prefer May and Paul
Well Ernest is another man who was deeply unhappy because he had made a very bad match who failed in short time and was much happier with his second wife. Plus if Victoria Melita is able to marry Kirill as she had always wanted (and that would be a great thing) Ernest will need another wife and May will not be a bad choice (and she here will be wife of a ruling german Gran Duke, while if she married Paul would be the wife of a younger member of the Russian Imperial family) so Victoria maybe will push for this other match as she liked enough May

Well Ernest is another man who was deeply unhappy because he had made a very bad match who failed in short time and was much happier with his second wife. Plus if Victoria Melita is able to marry Kirill as she had always wanted (and that would be a great thing) Ernest will need another wife and May will not be a bad choice (and she here will be wife of a ruling german Gran Duke, while if she married Paul would be the wife of a younger member of the Russian Imperial family) so Victoria maybe will push for this other match as she liked enough May
The only thing I knew about ernest and of course her possible marriage to Maud hahaha. In any case it might be a good departure for May to marry Ernest and become an Grand Duchess. At least she would give many children to him that from what I observed in wikipedia had 3 who died early

VVD0D95

Banned

If she marries Arthur, then I can see them choosing Strathearn, for its ties to Scotland, and also to a branch of the family that they descend from

What was the story behind the Arthur/Alexandra match? Is it the kind of thing that could develop in this scenario, given the changed dynamics (and personalities) of the royal family?

If they did get married it'd certainly be interesting to see the reaction if the Prince of Wales (and only royal child) died after getting drunk, falling out a window, and contracting hypothermia, as their son supposedly did IOTL. Wouldn't happen due to those accursed butterflies, though.

I could not tell if it was a marriage out of love (Alexandra actually loved Christopher, but I do not know about arthur) though the Fife and Connaught were quite close, certainly Louise and Louise Margaret encouraged their children to get married

If arthur died before inheriting the throne as OTL the throne would be inherited by Maud's son, James if I am not mistaken. Would Alias Maud remain with the same husband? The Nazi sympathizer? She could marry Maria's Princess Royal Husband OTL or maybe one of Waldemar of denmark soons?

If arthur died before inheriting the throne as OTL the throne would be inherited by Maud's son, James if I am not mistaken. Would Alias Maud remain with the same husband? The Nazi sympathizer? She could marry Maria's Princess Royal Husband OTL or maybe one of Waldemar of denmark soons?
Unlikely. As princess of England and second in line for the crown she would be married better than OTL: one of the great british aristocratics family, a cousin/younger son of a foreign monarch, Arthur of Connaught if not marrried to her sister, a Teck/Battenberg relative, maybe also Charles Edward of Albany (the latter only if Alfred of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha had not died childless as OTL)

Unlikely. As princess of England and second in line for the crown she would be married better than OTL: one of the great british aristocratics family, a cousin/younger son of a foreign monarch, Arthur of Connaught if not marrried to her sister, a Teck/Battenberg relative, maybe also Charles Edward of Albany (the latter only if Alfred of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha had not died childless as OTL)

Alfredo de Saxe Coburg could marry and have a son before he died (He could marry Feodora of Saxe Meiningen his cousin in 1897 and have an heir in 1898-1899) thus we would have 2 English royal dukes available to Alexandra and Maud (Connaught and Albany) - Although Alexandra could marry Christopher
Another prince who could be a great match would be George or Ernest Augustus of Cumberland, second cousins, quite rich and even English princes too. In this scenario Victoria Louise could marry George while Maud marries Ernest - the couple could take the title of the Dukes of Cumberland while George and Victoria Louise would be Dukes of Brunswick I think.

We could also imagine in a scenario where=
Maud marries a cumberland (1913-1915)
Alexandra marries Connaught or Christopher (1911-1913)
Victoria Louise marrying the Duke of Albany - would that have been celerated by William II? Would he still declare war on England with his favorite living by the?

Probably not very different from George V. Monarch hasn't anymore much power. Some details might be different but big things will be same as in OTL. Another thing is would queen Louise I willingful give asylum for last imperial family of Russia.
I wonder about this. For whatever reason, George V showed a lack of heart/sympathy, or maybe strength to simply give his cousins Nicholas and Alexandra sanctuary in Britain or even in one of her many colonies. I also read somewhere that had Albert Victor lived to inherit the throne, he may have been the one who would have given asylum to the Russian Royals.

Prince harry 2005-2015, tours of Afghanistan, front line service. Prince William, search and rescue pilot frontline, prince Andrew falklands war, business development for the army. Prince Edward, duke of Kent active service during the troubles and in Cyprus.

Really? Heads together, the mental health charity started because of the fat William and Harry felt not enough was being done for mental health, Invictus Games, started by prince harry to give service personnel a feeling of purpose outside the force. Princes trust, which has helped young people and business for over forty years.
Didn't Prince Michael of Kent also serve n Cyprus? Under his brothers command?

I would thiink there would be some emotional trauma to Edward VII (to be) having lost both his sons. This might have knock-ons in his private life, in disreputable fashion, or even in depression and NOT being the dynamic old man who rewrote European relations
I can see this being a major trauma for Edward VII. I read how he was crushed at losing his eldest son Albert Victor (Eddy to the family), and if he was to lose George around the same time, how might he react to the additional losses of his brother Alfred whom he was close to, and then his sister Victoria in Germany whom he was also close to, all before he even became king. Not a man to take care of his health prior to his succession, losing his sons first, and then others who would have given him support, may send him into an emotional and physical breakdown. How much shorter of a reign might he have after all those losses. And how much would he be in a state strong enough to advise and prepare his eldest daughter to succeed him.

And even the rent free part isn't right. The royal family apparently pays for water, gas and power like the rest of the rabble. George V ordered Maria Feodorovna to turn lights off when she wasn't in a room when she was staying in whichever palace it was in London because the power bill was too high. In an act of spite/flicking him the bird, she sent the footmen through the palace to turn on every conceivable light that "the palace was lit from basement to casement" and then turned to the messenger and said "Tell the king that as long as I stay here, he shall be obliged to foot the bill" (or some such).

Actually wrong nephew it was the King of Denmark who apparently ordered his aunt to turn off the lights. When in England Marie Feodorovna usually stayed with her sister Alexandra at Marlborough House or Sandringham - though she spent most of her time in Denmark.

May of Teck is unlikely to find a "royal match" after George's death. Her royal mother not withstanding she would not be regarded as equal in most of Europe due to her father's background which would rule out all the German states and Russia etc. She is also poor. Suspect she will marry into the British aristocracy if she marries at all.

Alfredo de Saxe Coburg could marry and have a son before he died (He could marry Feodora of Saxe Meiningen his cousin in 1897 and have an heir in 1898-1899) thus we would have 2 English royal dukes available to Alexandra and Maud (Connaught and Albany) - Although Alexandra could marry Christopher
Another prince who could be a great match would be George or Ernest Augustus of Cumberland, second cousins, quite rich and even English princes too. In this scenario Victoria Louise could marry George while Maud marries Ernest - the couple could take the title of the Dukes of Cumberland while George and Victoria Louise would be Dukes of Brunswick I think.
The Hannovers were not exactly popular in England and they were German Princes before being English Dukes so same problem of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha plus the fact who Victoria likely had not a great relationship with them....
Cambridge, Connaughts, Tecks, Battenberg and Albany (the latter if the Edinburgh/Saxe-Coburgh-Gotha male line survive) are English Dukes
May of Teck is unlikely to find a "royal match" after George's death. Her royal mother not withstanding she would not be regarded as equal in most of Europe due to her father's background which would rule out all the German states and Russia etc. She is also poor. Suspect she will marry into the British aristocracy if she marries at all.
Her farther was a Serene Highness, like her and she was a minor german princess, like everyone from a mediatized house, and marrying her would be an equal match (or her parents would have never married) and Victoria liked her so seeing her married to another of his and Ernest was a year younger than her so if Ducky is able to marry Kirill from the start (or Ernest really do not want marry her) May can be a suitable replacement

Alfred apparently was engaged to this lady https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchess_Elsa_of_Württemberg in 1895... maybe they will marry and have a son or two before Alfred’s death (or the children will be enough to keep him alive)

The Hannovers were not exactly popular in England and they were German Princes before being English Dukes so same problem of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha plus the fact who Victoria likely had not a great relationship with them....
Cambridge, Connaughts, Tecks, Battenberg and Albany (the latter if the Edinburgh/Saxe-Coburgh-Gotha male line survive) are English Dukes

Her father was a Serene Highness, like her and she was a minor german princess, like everyone from a mediatized house, and marrying her would be an equal match (or her parents would have never married) and Victoria liked her so seeing her married to another of his and Ernest was a year younger than her so if Ducky is able to marry Kirill from the start (or Ernest really do not want marry her) May can be a suitable replacement

Sorry the Teck's were not a mediatized house - May's father was the son of Duke Alexander of Wurttemburg and his morganatic wife - Francis was initially Count of Hohenstein (the title awarded to his mother) - he was later created Prince of Teck with the style Serene Highness - he had no succession rights in Wurttemburg.

Morganatic marriages had no legal standing in the UK and Victoria personally didn't approve of the concept so there was less of an issue of a match for Mary Adelaide of Cambridge - helped by the fact that Mary wasn't regarded as much of a catch.

Sorry the Teck's were not a mediatized house - May's father was the son of Duke Alexander of Wurttemburg and his morganatic wife - Francis was initially Count of Hohenstein (the title awarded to his mother) - he was later created Prince of Teck with the style Serene Highness - he had no succession rights in Wurttemburg.

Morganatic marriages had no legal standing in the UK and Victoria personally didn't approve of the concept so there was less of an issue of a match for Mary Adelaide of Cambridge - helped by the fact that Mary wasn't regarded as much of a catch.
The Tecks were not a mediatized house but their ranks was more or less the same... May was a Serene Highness, so a match to her would be like marrying a mediatized princess (who also had zero alliances to offer as she do not came from a ruling family with rights of succession to some crown)