General Abraham Lincoln

Here's a timeline idea I've been kicking around for a while: Abraham Lincoln goes into the military, becomes a career officer, and ends up as the top Union commander in an alternate Civil War.

There are a few aspects to this potential timeline:

1. What sort of general could Lincoln have been? I think that, given his handling of the war and his ability to grasp military matters, he would at least have been competent. His age would also suggest that he would be fairly senior by the start of the Civil War, (he was 52 when he took office) so I don't think its implausible that he ends up commanding the alternate Army of the Potomac. What remains to be seen is what kind of general he would have been. My first thought is that he would have tended to boldness, and he had a good grasp of modern technology. There's also the question of how his career would have shaped him - he would undoubtedly have served in the Mexican-American War, for example.
2. Without Lincoln, what does the prewar political situation look like? Who would the Republicans have nominated in 1860, and does the Civil War still start "on time"? I'm rather intrigued by the idea of a less effective Union president.
3. Assuming Lincoln is successful as a general, and doesn't die in action, he probably gets the credit for winning the war. Winning the White House in 1868 (or maybe even 1864) would be almost assured. So instead of Lincoln being the Civil War president, we get Lincoln the Reconstruction president. How might he handle things differently than Grant or Johnson?

I don't think its implausible that he ends up commanding the alternate Army of the Potomac.
We need to be careful not to assume that just because Lincoln became president IOTL that he we would have been destined to have a central role in the era no matter what. Lincoln's rise to prominence in the realm of politics involved a lot of luck and circumstances that would not have translated well in a military career. I think it's extremely unlikely that Lincoln would have been a high-ranking officer by the 1860s. Given how he seemed to jump from job to job, I doubt he would have stayed in the Army very long. Also, in his early life he probably lacked the connections needed to get into West Point.

If Lincoln wasn't around in 1860, William Seward would have been the Republican nominee. President Seward is a relatively common topic on these forums and a very interesting one, but the consensus seems to be that he would have handled the Civil War much worse than Lincoln.

Last edited:
If he had entered West Point and graduated in the early 30's and remained in the military he would most likely have been a Captain in 1846 and might possibly been on Scott's staff along with RE Lee and others. He may get a brevet as Major or Lt. Col. He was 2 years younger than Lee but probably would have entered West Point at a slightly older age, so Lee's path is instructive if Lincoln remains in the office corps during the 1850's. Since Lee was a Lt. Col. in 1859 I could see Lincoln as a Major, probably since 1848 or 1850. Even if he resigned his commission during the 50's to enter business or teaching, again probably leaving as a Major, he would have been among the candidates for a Brig. Gen. commission at the outbreak of war. Many of the initial generals were former field grade officers, since only the most acclaimed active officers reached the rank of full Col. before the war (AS Johnson, Lee in 1860. ) If he remained in the midwest or went to the west after resigning he would have been initially in the Western Theater. Perhaps Lincoln is the commander of Illinois troops and not Grant. Take it from there.
Remove Lincoln from politics and the GOP butterflies are many. Seward would be the natural favorite, but in the convention system early favorites most often got blocked by a coalition of opponents. I think the happens to Seward because of her personality.

We need to be careful not to assume that just because Lincoln became president IOTL that he we would have been destined to have a central role in the era no matter what. Lincoln's rise to prominence in the realm of politics involved a lot of luck and circumstances that would not have translated well in a military career. I think it's extremely unlikely that Lincoln would have been a high-ranking officer by the 1860s. Given how he seemed to jump from job to job, I doubt he would have stayed in the Army very long. Also, in his early life he probably lacked the connections needed to get into West Point.
I don't think it's guaranteed at all. But I also don't think that it's implausible. I will concede that getting into West Point might be a problem. Any way to overcome that?

Abraham Lincoln fight a duel in 1848 is was also the last time he criticise someone publicly I would also point to the book how to make friends and influence People is also influenced by Abraham Lincoln being considerate and understandings of people's viewpoints. Instance general Meade was supposed to pursue Robert Lee after the Battle of Gettysburg he did not and Lincoln wrote a private letter criticising him of these actions the letter was never sent and remained part of this private files I believe this tells a lot of his character as a man I'm president.

Kaze

Banned
Lincoln did serve in the Black Hawk Wars - he was mustered with the Illinois , he showed up at the battlefield... but did not fight, he spent most of the Black Hawk War with a shovel burring the war dead.
A better POD is that Black Hawk War expands -> Lincoln must lead the army of Illinois....
Or...
Civil War early - where Lincoln leads the Illinois militia.

Lincoln did serve in the Black Hawk Wars - he was mustered with the Illinois , he showed up at the battlefield... but did not fight, he spent most of the Black Hawk War with a shovel burring the war dead.
A better POD is that Black Hawk War expands -> Lincoln must lead the army of Illinois....
Or...
Civil War early - where Lincoln leads the Illinois militia.
I like the former idea. Lincoln gets more involved in the Black Hawk Wars, and eventually gets into the regular army.