Game AH maps

Othniel said:
It ain't workin.

Usually takes a while for me to load that link... try this one instead:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/

This should bring up the Paradox Forums, and there is pretty much all you need to know about their games. Personal opinion:

Europa Universalis II might be just the best historical-based strategy game I've played, if you are looking for a grand-scale strategy. Victoria... bit too much micromanagement for my taste, but similar concept - OTOH the time period is not the one I am most interested in, and as such Victoria gets much less play time from me, although with the fanmade Europa Universalis II - Victoria save file conversion utility, it gains new interest for me, as you can carry over the save game from EUII to Victoria, and continue as the nation of your choice.

Crusader Kings, cool idea, although the game is somewhat unstable, and tends to crash a lot on my PC. Still, it has the feature that allows you to carry your game forward into EUII - pretty much a save game conversion utility. I am thinking of doing a run from 1066 (when Crusader Kings starts) through 1920 (when Victoria ends) as one of the underdog nations... the surviving Kievan Rus could be an interesting thing to play as through almost a thousand years.

Have not played Hearts Of Iron (either I or II) yet, but may get it soon... supposed to be a good World War II simulation. The basic concept, interface-wise, and such, is very similar though, from what I gather.

Othniel said:
Nothin much is working outside of the forum, which happens to be packed.

Sometimes Paradox shuts down much of the website to provide bandwidth to the forum... I remember them announcing something like that a while back. If you would like to check out some of the features, I would recommend going to the AARs section (AAR="After Action Report", a write-up of one's game). This is how I got interested in EUII and similar games, doing an AH-related web search, and locating the Paradox Forums instead. Some AARs are rather interesting, and written as well as many ATLs on this forum.

Othniel said:
But say you decide on Balvaria?

You mean, as to play it as Bavaria? It is possible, and probably quite a few people succeeded as Bavaria in CK, EUII, or Victoria, so if you start with Crusader Kings you could theoretically go all the way through 1920 with any minor European county, or even a European empire (if you start with EUII, it could be any country in the world, including the civilizations that were not "countries" in true sense of the world, like the Lenope and the Navajo). The only limitations are if you start in CK is that you can generally only start as one of the Christian counties, duchies, or kingdoms/empires (since the game is supposed to be about the Crusades) - but there are no limitations on EUII or Victoria. In other words, you can play as anyone from Byzantium to China to a minor African state that got destroyed in OTL some time during the Age of Exploration, and if you are skilled enough a player, you can succeed with almost anyone, although it is generally a lot harder to succeed with the states that historically had been less successful - i.e. if you play EUII (starting in 1419) as, say, Dai Viet, you are going to be at a disadvantage compared to playing, say, Britain. And playing as Granada in EUII 1492 scenario... well, it would require cheating to survive past the first year under most curcumstances.

The Kievan Rus' holds bit of an interest for me due to them being my ancestors, as well as the fact that I was born and lived in Kiev for almost 16 years - and thus was always wondering what would have happened had the Rus' been more united, and formed a true kingdom as opposed to a loose HRE-ish confederation of city-states. But then again, you can play as whoever you want.

i have a game where i started in the grand campain as Sardinia-Permont, and conquored the city states and the Papal States, but then united as Italy. ill i admit that i did use money cheats, but besides that...

i conquored the Swiss, but have recently had to let them go, as well as my greek possesions. i have a growing Africa territory. the US has a very hard time getting the SOuth-West strangly, and the Brits and french each have mexican territories. Russia kind-a won the crimian war and took alot of Sweeden, and i had joined prussia to fight Austria, and came away with a few territories. i think i will carve satalite states out of the balkans... :D beware of evil sardinia perimont...

Ok, I have finally gotten Victoria. I still need to get the other games. But I will be posting some screen shots, which is why I bumped this thread. I must say that I love playing as th Africaaner States, but generally tend to switch nations around alot. (I wreak their economy and then move on...;) ) The only problem I really have is that when I use Ethopia is that their economy is too shitty to allow me to start colonies in single territories (Thats for the Portuguese and the Bloody Swedes and Prussians.)

In one of my games I went out and blantantly had Austria conquer most of the Oman territories (before, that is they had a chance to get rid of Zanzibar.) But right now I'm nearly tempted to go through as many major states as I can and form Satillite States everywhere.