I would've thought that because of the fact that Britain didnt hire German mercenaries during the ITTL Massachusetts Rebellion, that this would've allowed either Austria or Prussia to perhaps hire them and further inflict a butterfly during the War of the Bavarian Succession (for example, if Austria had those mercenaries, they would've possibly gotten Silesia back and possibly more from Prussia, like Ansbach-Bayreuth, OR, if Prussia had hired them, they could've conquered Bohemia-Moravia and possibly set up a vassal state under the Hohenzollern dynasty which would serve to act as both a buffer against and a springboard to invade Austria proper, while allowing some measure of self-rule for the Bohemians which would serve as a useful propaganda tool against the Hapsburgs).

Perhaps I'm missing something?

I would've thought that because of the fact that Britain didnt hire German mercenaries during the ITTL Massachusetts Rebellion, that this would've allowed either Austria or Prussia to perhaps hire them and further inflict a butterfly during the War of the Bavarian Succession (for example, if Austria had those mercenaries, they would've possibly gotten Silesia back and possibly more from Prussia, like Ansbach-Bayreuth, OR, if Prussia had hired them, they could've conquered Bohemia-Moravia and possibly set up a vassal state under the Hohenzollern dynasty which would serve to act as both a buffer against and a springboard to invade Austria proper, while allowing some measure of self-rule for the Bohemians which would serve as a useful propaganda tool against the Hapsburgs).

Perhaps I'm missing something?
It actually hadn’t occurred to me since I was just trying to bring everyone up to speed about general European affairs through the 1780s or so and I’m not as familiar with European military history. But I will consider that and either make a revision to the last update or add it to my list of things to consider in the future about Europe.

@GenghisKhanfan Apparently a big part of why the Hessians were used in the American Revolution IOTL because Hanover was in a personal union with Britain at the time and the mercenaries were more like auxiliaries contracted out by Hanover specifically to Britain. That's partly why I didn't consider the butterflies involving Prussia and Austria in the Bavarian War of Succession. They had a much closer relationship with the British than either to Prussia or Austria and didn't involve themselves much in the Bavarian War of Succession IOTL so I don't see much of a reason to involve them here unless I'm missing some other details.

Last edited:
How will the federalism of the UAC play out? Much like the US/Australia, or go the way of Canada (relatively decentralized), or perhaps just barely stronger than Articles of Confederation?

It actually hadn’t occurred to me since I was just trying to bring everyone up to speed about general European affairs through the 1780s or so and I’m not as familiar with European military history. But I will consider that and either make a revision to the last update or add it to my list of things to consider in the future about Europe.
I didnt intend to force a change.
I just remembered that around the same time IOTL and also IITL that the rebellion was happening in America, Prussia had declared war on Austria because Emperor Jospeh II had tried to make an exchange with the Elector of Bavaria: The Austrian Netherlands (OTL Belgium) for Bavaria. Joseph II wanted to round off the Hapsburg patrimony and had it been successful, Bavaria joined to the Monarchy would've increased Hapsburg influence in the south of Germany. This was what Frederick II (the Great) of Prussia wanted to avoid. While there was little serious fighting, except over potatoes (hence its sometimes called the Potato War), the war did force Joseph II to relinquish all but a tiny piece of Bavaria, around Innsbruck.

I simply thought that with the American rebellion ITTL never really taking off to such a degree that Britain began to hire mercenaries from the HRE, that possibly either of the Germanic powers (or both) may have had additional manpower to draw from, Joseph II as Holy Roman Emperor, and Frederick the Great as the Champion of German Liberties against the tyrannical Hapsburgs as Frederick had formed a Legaue of Princes for that very purpose. Had that happened, France as guarantor of the Peace of Westphalia and Russia as the rising new power in the east, could also have been drawn in.

I'm relieved and happy that you've at least listened and gave it some thought, thank you :)
@GenghisKhanfan Apparently a big part of why the Hessians were used in the American Revolution IOTL because Hanover was in a personal union with Britain at the time and the mercenaries were more like auxiliaries contracted out by Hanover specifically to Britain. That's partly why I didn't consider the butterflies involving Prussia and Austria in the Bavarian War of Succession. They had a much closer relationship with the British than either to Prussia or Austria and didn't involve themselves much in the Bavarian War of Succession IOTL so I don't see much of a reason to involve them here unless I'm missing some other details.
No.
No other details missing. I didnt consider the fact that as Hanover and Britain were in personal union, any Hessians hired were hired by Hanover for Britain and hence it would be unlikely that either Hanover or Britain would be much bothered by the Prusso-Austrian conflict. If they paid any attention to that, it was likely out of concern that any serious fighting would likely jeopardize Hanover.

I didnt intend to force a change.
I just remembered that around the same time IOTL and also IITL that the rebellion was happening in America, Prussia had declared war on Austria because Emperor Jospeh II had tried to make an exchange with the Elector of Bavaria: The Austrian Netherlands (OTL Belgium) for Bavaria. Joseph II wanted to round off the Hapsburg patrimony and had it been successful, Bavaria joined to the Monarchy would've increased Hapsburg influence in the south of Germany. This was what Frederick II (the Great) of Prussia wanted to avoid. While there was little serious fighting, except over potatoes (hence its sometimes called the Potato War), the war did force Joseph II to relinquish all but a tiny piece of Bavaria, around Innsbruck.

I simply thought that with the American rebellion ITTL never really taking off to such a degree that Britain began to hire mercenaries from the HRE, that possibly either of the Germanic powers (or both) may have had additional manpower to draw from, Joseph II as Holy Roman Emperor, and Frederick the Great as the Champion of German Liberties against the tyrannical Hapsburgs as Frederick had formed a Legaue of Princes for that very purpose. Had that happened, France as guarantor of the Peace of Westphalia and Russia as the rising new power in the east, could also have been drawn in.

I'm relieved and happy that you've at least listened and gave it some thought, thank you :)

No.
No other details missing. I didnt consider the fact that as Hanover and Britain were in personal union, any Hessians hired were hired by Hanover for Britain and hence it would be unlikely that either Hanover or Britain would be much bothered by the Prusso-Austrian conflict. If they paid any attention to that, it was likely out of concern that any serious fighting would likely jeopardize Hanover.
Thanks your for suggestions, as I appreciate the feedback. All ideas are open to consideration so don't worry about it.

Chapter Ten: Continued Development During the Galloway Period
Chapter Ten: Continued Development During the Galloway Period

567px-BuildingAdventureGalley.jpg

Throughout much of the 1780s, the Whigs dominated New England in Parliament, the Tories held the South, and the Mid-Atlantic was a swing region. This aligned with Southerners being more loyal to the crown than their New England counterparts. The Southern region was dominated by conservative, land-hungry second sons of English nobles, and was more devoutly religious and anti-Catholic. New England, on the other hand, was less loyal to the crown and had the largest middle class, complete with mercantilism and industry as the dominant economic sectors. The Middle Colonies exhibited traits of both, but with religious toleration being highest there. In the 1789 elections, things slowly began to change, with North Carolina and Maryland favoring Whigs in the Senate election and New Hampshire and Rhode Island divided between Whigs and Tories with the rest of the North leaning Whig and the South choosing the Tories. In the House of Commons, things remained predictable, although North and South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts elected at least one representative from the opposing party. In the 1792 House of Commons elections, things remained static except for Delaware, Pennsylvania, and the new province of Vermont swinging in favor of the Tories. In the Senate, Whigs lost their footing in North Carolina while Tories lost theirs in New Hampshire and Rhode Island. In both elections, there was a new Governor-General, General Robert Prescott, presiding over the Union of American Commonwealths, taking over in 1786.

With the British remaining in Power, the settlers’ push west slowed but did not halt entirely. Some notable projects were establishing new colonies like Charlotina, Westsylvania, and Transylvania. Settlement in Charlotina was particularly slow because of the long distance from east of the Appalachian Mountains and having to cross the Northern Indian Reserves filled with warring and resistant Native tribes like the Miami, Shawnee, Delaware, Wabash, Illinois, and the semi-autonomous Iroquois. It did not have a sufficient population to be officially recognized as a colony until 1800. On the other hand, Westylvania attracted enough people from east of the Appalachian Mountains to be an officially designated colony in 1788. Not only did they attract settlers from southern provinces like Virginia and Maryland but Pennsylvania and other northern provinces as well and included German and Scotch-Irish immigrants. The mentality of the settlers was that the distance between the settlements and the Virginian and Pennsylvanian governments would make the latter apathetic. London did not intervene because the stream of settlers was controlled via a monetary fee. To the south and west of Westsylvania was Transylvania. It took until 1792 to be officially established because both North Carolina and Virginia had claimed the land before settlers voted to separate from both entirely, leading the two eastern colonies to eventually drop their claims.

Of course, none of these colonies officially joined the Union of American Commonwealths as autonomous provinces for some time. The next to join was Vermont. It had declared independence in 1777 as the Republic of Vermont, complete with its own Constitution. But being surrounded by the UAC and Quebec meant this independence would likely be short-lived as someone would want to annex it sooner or later. On August 20, 1781, Galloway's Parliament passed a resolution declaring that it would not consider admitting Vermont into the Union until Vermont was to officially renounce all territorial claims east of the Connecticut River and west of Lake Champlain. In the 1780s, there was much evidence in Vermont wanting to join the UAC as its coins were inscribed with "STELLA QUINTA DECIMA" and the state's seal was a 15-branched pine tree. In 1790, New York consented to Vermont's provincehood in exchange for Vermont paying New York monetary compensation. Vermont voted in favor of applying to join the UAC on January 10, 1791, and was admitted into the Union on March 4 of that year. The Vermont Ordeal would set a precedent for how new provinces would join the UAC heading into the future.

With settlement westward limited, most Anglo-American settlers looked either to the South or North. To the South laid East and West Florida. Before 1776, the populations of East and West Florida consisted largely of British military personnel and their families who were minimally affected by the uproar and changes to the North. Most of the settlers here were from the Carolinas and Georgia and tended to be of either English or Scotch-Irish descent. There was a substantial runway slave population as well, alongside a migration of Native Americans, mostly Seminoles, to the Peninsula. To the North lay the British Province of Quebec. Traditionally French, their language, religion, and law system came under fire before 1774 when London passed the Quebec Act which allowed them to preserve their way of life. When the Thirteen colonies became autonomous in 1776, Quebec underwent a demographic shift as Northern settlers who were originally planning to settle west of the Appalachian Mountains found themselves unable to and looked to Quebec as another option. While some went to the Eastern Townships and Montreal, most settled West of the Ottawa River. In 1791, as the influx grew larger, Quebec was split into an English-Speaking Upper Canada (west of the Ottawa River) and a French-speaking Lower Canada (east of the Ottawa River). Anglo-Americans would shape Florida and Canada for years to come.

Last edited:
Note: Not only was this a surprise for you guys but this was a surprise for me as well, considering I didn't expect this to be so easy and quick to write up. This probably makes up for the fact that I don't know what to write about next. Oh well, see you next time.

Note: Not only was this a surprise for you guys but this was a surprise for me as well, considering I didn't expect this to be so easy and quick to write up. This probably makes up for the fact that I don't know what to write about next. Oh well, see you next time.
In terms of North America I honestly think one of the first actions made by the Union would be to abolish the native reserve, it’s weird it hasn’t already happened but still.

In terms of North America I honestly think one of the first actions made by the Union would be to abolish the native reserve, it’s weird it hasn’t already happened but still.
They're getting there gradually. With Charlotina, Westylvania, and Transylvania on the up and coming, the reserves got divided into two and each became smaller. The reserves will be more gradually abolished than OTL because of the British still having a solid foothold in North America.

They're getting there gradually. With Charlotina, Westylvania, and Transylvania on the up and coming, the reserves got divided into two and each became smaller. The reserves will be more gradually abolished than OTL because of the British still having a solid foothold in North America.
Huh, I probably should've realised that. Out of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, the Canadas, the Hudson Bay Company, the Floridas... what I mean is which colonies are in the UAC as of the end of the latest update?

Huh, I probably should've realised that. Out of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, the Canadas, the Hudson Bay Company, the Floridas... what I mean is which colonies are in the UAC as of the end of the latest update?
The UAC consists of the Thirteen colonies, Vermont, and Nova Scotia (OTL Nova Scotia and New Brunswick).

Fab! This a good interpretation of the state of things?
View attachment 638282
For Westylvania/Vandalia I would use the shaded area within modern WV (except the eastern panhandle) and KY to the north and east of the Kentucky River. For Transylvania, I would use the Cumberland River as the Southern boundary. I also wouldn't shade either of them in as the same color as the UAC to help distinguish them. The boundaries of the southern Indian Reserve are West Florida to the South, the Cumberland River to the North, Georgia to the East, and the Mississippi River to the West. Those of the northern reserve are Charlotina to the West, Great Lakes to the North, Ohio River to the South, and the Alleghany River to the East.

For Westylvania/Vandalia I would use the shaded area within modern WV (except the eastern panhandle) and KY to the north and east of the Kentucky River. For Transylvania, I would use the Cumberland River as the Southern boundary. I also wouldn't shade either of them in as the same color as the UAC to help distinguish them. The boundaries of the southern Indian Reserve are West Florida to the South, the Cumberland River to the North, Georgia to the East, and the Mississippi River to the West. Those of the northern reserve are Charlotina to the West, Great Lakes to the North, Ohio River to the South, and the Alleghany River to the East.
Ok so that's all as I've done other than Transylvania which, while I know the whole Cumberland thing, makes more sense with this border as you said it was formed from Virginian and NC claims.