Would Israelite Bay be an improvement? It's more or less the western boundary of what I had in mind for a Swedish Australia and overlaps with where the Swedes were actually exploring and considering. Ultimately it would not be too big a shift in location.

Last edited:
Would Israelite Bay be an improvement? It's more or less the western boundary of what I had in mind for a Swedish Australia and overlaps with where the Swedes were actually exploring and considering.
Just looked it up on google maps and yeah, that looks better. There are some lagoons in the area that would be a source of fresh water, and it's in a scrubby area with lots of trees for wood. Fishing will do for food. I still see your planned colonies in South Australia attracting a lot more settlement, though.

Just looked it up on google maps and yeah, that looks better. There are some lagoons in the area that would be a source of fresh water, and it's in a scrubby area with lots of trees for wood. Fishing will do for food. I still see your planned colonies in South Australia attracting a lot more settlement, though.
Don't worry, this is pretty much just a pilot run. Soon enough, South Australia, if everything goes to plan, should overtake Nuytsland (Israelite Bay is within the Nuytsland Nature Reserve) by the 1830s or so when the arrival of free settlers really begins to take off.

Don't worry, this is pretty much just a pilot run. Soon enough, South Australia, if everything goes to plan, should overtake Nuytsland (Israelite Bay is within the Nuytsland Nature Reserve) by the 1830s or so when the arrival of free settlers really begins to take off.
I think the Swedish South Australian colony would have more than just Swedes. The Swedish government could promote the migration of other Scandinavians (Danes, Norwegians, Finns etc.) and Germans to the colony. For example, Germans from the grape growing regions in the Rhineland could be brought in to establish a wine industry (the wine industry IOTL's South Australia was in large part established by Germans). Generally, I think the borders of Swedish Australia could stretch from Cape Le Grand in the west to the Murray River in the east, and possibly as far north as the Tropic of Capricorn, which would put Uluru/Ayers Rock/whatever the Swedes decide to call it within Swedish Australian territory.
Sorry if I came across as nitpicky, BTW.

I guess there are only two questions remaining to be resolved:
1) What is the status of the Mughal (I've seen it spelled as Moghul or Mogul as well) Empire at this time? Britain and the Maratha Confederacy have already fought, but it has yet to be discussed what their relations to the Mughals is, or the Mughals relations to France and the other European powers.

2) Does the colonial conquests made by the British Grand Alliance play any role in the European theater? Will it possibly lead to an exchange of conquests between the BGA and the French 'Le Grand Alliance' or do the French and their allies dig in, because with the colonial conquests comes the possibility that manpower and material from the colonies could be used in the next European war?

On the first question, I almost think that despite the fact France has also expanded their trading stations along India's coasts, they may see the Mughals as a counterbalance to what they perceive (though its obviously not the case for now) as a growing Anglo-Maratha cooperation. While I might not go so far as to say France and the Mughal Empire are allies, it may be that if the Mughals are still a formidable power in the subcontinent, they could be training and equipping themselves with French weapons. Perhaps in the next conflict, the two main European rivals may not engage directly, aside from the seas around India, but instead fight using their respective proxies.

The second question may be the more complex of the two because, as OTL World War 1 showed, it can be possible to rely on colonial auxiliaries to help their respective mother countries fight. Considering that steamships have yet to make an appearance, this might seem a dead-letter, but if the next conflict turns out to be more brutal than the one currently fought, it could be seen as necessary to employ colonial regiments.

Of course as I don't think the war has actually ended yet (correct me if I'm wrong), and because it is called the Ten Years War, I feel like it may be getting close to the point where both sides will start scraping the bottom of the barrel, even going so far as to employ native regiments either for the continuing colonial conflicts or even to bring to Europe and fight in the main theaters

I guess there are only two questions remaining to be resolved:
1) What is the status of the Mughal (I've seen it spelled as Moghul or Mogul as well) Empire at this time? Britain and the Maratha Confederacy have already fought, but it has yet to be discussed what their relations to the Mughals is, or the Mughals relations to France and the other European powers.

2) Does the colonial conquests made by the British Grand Alliance play any role in the European theater? Will it possibly lead to an exchange of conquests between the BGA and the French 'Le Grand Alliance' or do the French and their allies dig in, because with the colonial conquests comes the possibility that manpower and material from the colonies could be used in the next European war?

On the first question, I almost think that despite the fact France has also expanded their trading stations along India's coasts, they may see the Mughals as a counterbalance to what they perceive (though its obviously not the case for now) as a growing Anglo-Maratha cooperation. While I might not go so far as to say France and the Mughal Empire are allies, it may be that if the Mughals are still a formidable power in the subcontinent, they could be training and equipping themselves with French weapons. Perhaps in the next conflict, the two main European rivals may not engage directly, aside from the seas around India, but instead fight using their respective proxies.

The second question may be the more complex of the two because, as OTL World War 1 showed, it can be possible to rely on colonial auxiliaries to help their respective mother countries fight. Considering that steamships have yet to make an appearance, this might seem a dead-letter, but if the next conflict turns out to be more brutal than the one currently fought, it could be seen as necessary to employ colonial regiments.

Of course as I don't think the war has actually ended yet (correct me if I'm wrong), and because it is called the Ten Years War, I feel like it may be getting close to the point where both sides will start scraping the bottom of the barrel, even going so far as to employ native regiments either for the continuing colonial conflicts or even to bring to Europe and fight in the main theaters
I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1) Everything involving the Mughals should more or less be the same as OTL. Since the war isn't fought in Asia, the only thing that could be different here is what happens following the peace settlement which has yet to be determined. Indian history is not really up my alley, but I'm willing to give more of it a shot if need be.

2) The British conquests don't play a major role on the part of the British in Europe. Other than some participation by the Royal Navy in the Meditteranean and, to a lesser extent, in Germany to help out Hanover, pretty much all of their troops are in the Americas (and an overwhelming majority of them at that). Since the British have almost everything they want in the Americas (sans Nootka which will likely be negotiated during peace talks) and the Russians pretty much peace out from that conflict thanks to civil war, those things plus exhaustion on both sides will have peace terms come about beginning in 1807. With the British alliance winning in the Americas and the French in Europe, they might not get Saint-Domingue from the French if they even want it, which they probably don't.

Last edited:
I think the Swedish South Australian colony would have more than just Swedes. The Swedish government could promote the migration of other Scandinavians (Danes, Norwegians, Finns etc.) and Germans to the colony. For example, Germans from the grape growing regions in the Rhineland could be brought in to establish a wine industry (the wine industry IOTL's South Australia was in large part established by Germans). Generally, I think the borders of Swedish Australia could stretch from Cape Le Grand in the west to the Murray River in the east, and possibly as far north as the Tropic of Capricorn, which would put Uluru/Ayers Rock/whatever the Swedes decide to call it within Swedish Australian territory.
Sorry if I came across as nitpicky, BTW.
I wouldn't say it's nitpicking. This is actually some very helpful insight.

I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1) Everything involving the Mughals should more or less be the same as OTL. Since the war isn't fought in Asia, the only thing that could be different here is what happens following the peace settlement which has yet to be determined. Indian history is not really up my alley, but I'm willing to give more of it a shot if need be.

2) The British conquests don't play a major role on the part of the British in Europe. Other than some participation by the Royal Navy in the Meditteranean and, to a lesser extent, in Germany to help out Hanover, pretty much all of their troops are in the Americas (and an overwhelming majority of them at that). Since the British have almost everything they want in the Americas (sans Nootka which will likely be negotiated during peace talks) and the Russians pretty much peace out from that conflict thanks to civil war, those things plus exhaustion on both sides will have peace terms come about beginning in 1807. With the British alliance winning in the Americas and the French in Europe, they might not get Saint-Domingue from the French if they even want it, which they probably don't.
So what would you say would be the territory or territories that the British Grand Alliance wanted and maybe even occupied, but didn't get in the peace talks? Any territory or territories Le Grand Alliance wanted, and occupied, but never get?

So what would you say would be the territory or territories that the British Grand Alliance wanted and maybe even occupied, but didn't get in the peace talks? Any territory or territories Le Grand Alliance wanted, and occupied, but never get?
Again, that will show up for the next chapter. But what Spain wants from Britain is undisputed control over Nootka/Nutca and to hold on to Spanish America, while France might want some of Britain’s non-UAC American colonies (like in the Caribbean and Central America) and more so to isolate Britain from continental Europe.

An isolated Britain would be to France's advantage.
Almost wonder if a League of Armed Neutrality would be created which initially would merely serve notice to Britain, but because Britain became too arrogant/assertive the League becomes an anti-British alliance

An isolated Britain would be to France's advantage.
Almost wonder if a League of Armed Neutrality would be created which initially would merely serve notice to Britain, but because Britain became too arrogant/assertive the League becomes an anti-British alliance
Certainly I could see this happening.

Certainly I could see this happening.
Well, with Britain winning in the Americas and being not SUPER involved in Europe, I don't know if they will actually be isolated in the same way France was after the Franco-Prussian War. Probably more like how Britain withdrew from the Concert of Europe after 1822 OTL.

I am about halfway done writing it, and unless I get done with a final paper for school sooner than expected, I probably will post it next week.

On second thought, since I was already halfway done with this chapter, I decided to finish it as quickly as possible. A new update (which will be about North America under PM Clinton), however, will not take place until next week because of this school paper. So here you guys go and hope you enjoy this.

Last edited:
Chapter Sixteen: The Congress of Tilsit
Chapter Sixteen: The Congress of Tilsit

345px-Тильзит._1807.jpg

The year 1807 marked the end of the bulk of the violence related to the Ten Years War. Britain at this point had carried out much of its overseas goals in the Americas and Atlantic, solidifying control of the Spanish cities of New Orleans and Buenos Aires. The Spanish were effectively knocked out of Nootka and Portugal held their ground in the province of Uruguay. The war in Europe was less conclusive on the field, as most of the powers were exhausted from the war and the tides of the war were shifting back and forth. The coalition between France, Naples, and Spain had just edged out Britain, Portugal, and Russia in the Mediterranean/ In Germany, Austria only made significant progress in Silesia once Russia was knocked out of the war through the coup of the Tsar (following a white peace) and even then that wasn’t enough beyond Upper Silesia. Similarly, with Poland, a stalemate was broken with Russian withdrawal, only then leading to Polish advancement with French, Austrian, and Saxon aid. This led the Ottoman Empire to take advantage of the situation, which they did by conquering Crimea and solidifying victory for the French in the Mediterranean by assisting them in Egypt. The date of June 14, 1807, was when an armistice was called for in Europe, led by the Prussians. An armistice was then signed on July 9. Russia, meanwhile, was in the midst of a civil war that would not end until the declaration to the end of all hostilities on October 26 as the former Grand Duke Konstantin was declared as the new Tsar of Russia.

Peace negotiations began in the Prussian city of Tilsit on October 27, 1807, just one day after the Russian civil war ended. Russia did not show up at negotiations until the near the start of spring as the new government was not yet organized to have a diplomat sent over, plus the harsh Russian winters. Prussia wanted to keep Silesia and gain Podlachia, northern Masovia, and Warsaw from Poland. What Prussia got was Lower Silesia and a neutral Poland in the form of the newly-created Duchy of Warsaw consisting of the aforementioned Polish territories plus Western Galicia and southern Masovia. Austria could thus defend Poland’s right to exist as it was led by a neutral Frederick Augustus I of Saxony. Out of this, Russia got Lithuania, with a population of over 1 million people added to the Empire. They were also able to keep Crimea despite the efforts of the Ottomans to try to snag it up. In fairness, the Ottomans put more focus on helping the French in Egypt. The result for the Ottomans was largely status quo antebellum. Austria got Upper Silesia from Prussia while ceding the Walloon section of the Austrian Netherlands to France as a reward for aiding Austria against the Prussians. The Netherlands received Flanders, while the city of Brussels was made independent. Spain gave Naples the island of Sicily, which caused the formation of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. The Spanish Bourbons were to receive Sardinia. Finally, there was the Holy Roman Empire. A fragile institution for centuries, it consisted of mostly German and Italian speaking lands in western and central Europe and was a weak confederation ruled by the Austrian Habsburgs. Going into effect on January 1, 1809, it was to be dissolved and replaced with a somewhat more centralized Confederation of the Rhine to serve as a buffer between France and Prussia.

The matter of the colonies was more complicated. The (British) Royal Navy had the single strongest navy in Europe and the world. They, along with the Portuguese, had triumphed in the Americas over the French and Spanish forces. In the peace treaty, Spain was particularly hard hit. The Spanish were forced to surrender all claims of Nootka Territory, which left only Britain and Russia as contenders for the territory. That dispute would be resolved at a later time. Spanish Louisiana, including New Orleans, was given to the British (with clearly defined boundaries to define British North America and Mexico), as well as Peru south of 40 degrees latitude in South America. The city of Buenos Aires was given back to Spain, while Uruguay was given to Portugal. The British territory of La Plata, south of Peru, was renamed British Patagonia. In the Caribbean Sea, the island of Trinidad was given to Britain. That’s not to say France wasn’t affected. The French, in accordance with the Treaty of Tilsit, were forced to cede the islands of Dominica, Saint Lucia, and the disputed Turks and the Caicos islands to the British. However, the primary goal of the French was to isolate the British from continental Europe. The French got their wish. In exchange for colonies, the British promised, with the exception of Hanover (as it was in personal union with Britain) and Prussia (only to maintain a wartime alliance) not to intervene in continental Europe unless there was a major shift in a balance of power. A League of Armed Neutrality was proposed but scrapped, as Britain was more focused on the rest of the world than Europe.

The East Indies was a different can of worms. The British occupied Chandernagore, Mahe, Karaikal, Pondichéry, and Yanam plus the lodges at Machilipatnam, Kozhikode during the war, but returned it to the French once hostilities ended. The Dutch, Portuguese, and neutral Danes were able to keep their Indian claims. The Dutch, though, joined the war in 1802 with the promise of the Philippines. With the Dutch helping the British and Portuguese in the American theater, and Spain winning in the Meditteranean alongside France, Naples, and the Ottoman Empire, it looked like the Philippines was to be split. The Spanish would get the main island group of Luzon in the North, while the Dutch were to receive Visayas and Mindanao to the South. Finally, there was New Holland to contend with. By 1792, about 3,546 male and 766 female convicts were settled around New Albion, eventually expanding into Van Diemen’s Land in 1803. Sweden, in 1792, had formed a settlement at Israelite Bay for their own convicts. France had claimed the West Coast. And the Dutch Netherlands had an interest in expanding the Dutch East Indies. With this treaty, the British would hold both islands of New Zealand and all of New Holland to the East of 141 degrees plus all lands south of the Murray River. The French were to receive the land West of 124 degrees (or 123.5 degrees to be more precise). In between, the Swedish were given all the land South of 24 degrees, and the Dutch were given the North. The final Treaty of Tilsit was signed on May 2, 1808, and effective that July.

Last edited:
Generally one says simply royal navy not Royal British Navy. Secondly I don't think the word solvent is applied correctly here. The meaning presumably is Issues in Europe were not so easily solved..

Israelite Bay (the location of the Swedish penal colony) is west of the 124th parallel, which would put it within French territory. I'd recommend moving the Franco-Swedish border in Australia to the 123rd parallel in order to put Israelite Bay within Swedish territory.

Israelite Bay (the location of the Swedish penal colony) is west of the 124th parallel, which would put it within French territory. I'd recommend moving the Franco-Swedish border in Australia to the 123rd parallel in order to put Israelite Bay within Swedish territory.
Most of the lagoons (as well as the Nuytsland Nature Reserve) are within the 124th parallel so that's why I kept it. I'm basing it on this, after all. But if need be I will change it to 123.5 degrees East as it rounds up to 124 anyway.

573px-Australia_1838.jpg