Galaxias by Baxter, literally chilling to read. There will be spoilers, probably.

So, Baxter has written another utterly terrifying book examining the what-if of if something Awful happens to earth.

I just started reading it.

And I am shivering.

Something something sun goes out and the world deals with it to the best of its ability.

I'm leaving this thread alone until after I finish the book. So there.

You others can talk amongst yourselves if you like.

Haven't heard of it. But this is a guy who drowned the world and left humanity's future on Earth to be mindless aquatic beasts...

Hey, he also had a few of them on a ship exploring the stars. And one Ark was implied to be either time and/or dimensionally displaced. At least that’s what I thought was implied.
So there’s that.
Yeah. I was pretty let down.

Haven't heard of it. But this is a guy who drowned the world and left humanity's future on Earth to be mindless aquatic beasts...
True.
Hey, he also had a few of them on a ship exploring the stars. And one Ark was implied to be either time and/or dimensionally displaced. At least that’s what I thought was implied.
So there’s that.
He also did a few short story follows-on. Two about the descendants of the two settlements in space, and one in the far future after humanity had become an interstellar species iirc.

You read Flood?

Doesn't seem your kind of story, especially with it ending with bedraggled survivors gathering to watch the tip of Everest go under.

So there’s that.
He also did a few short story follows-on. Two about the descendants of the two settlements in space, and one in the far future after humanity had become an interstellar species iirc.
I know there was a novel and a few short stories but I didn't know that humanity actually managed to survive as a technically advanced species. That's a lot more heartening than the ending I was aware of, both the original novel and their finding our descendants.

You read Flood?

Doesn't seem your kind of story, especially with it ending with bedraggled survivors gathering to watch the tip of Everest go under.
It wasn’t a favourite, for sure…
I know there was a novel and a few short stories but I didn't know that humanity actually managed to survive as a technically advanced species. That's a lot more heartening than the ending I was aware of, both the original novel and their finding our descendants.
Yeah, true. Like, it’s not perfect by any means and still has the depressing core but…

Earth One [last short story]revealing that the Halivah eventually established another colony in a brown dwarf star system. Ten thousand years later humanity had created an interstellar civilization, including the three worlds and dozens of colonies. An expedition goes in search of the origins of Humanity and eventually locates the drowned Earth. Human descendants are discovered who have evolved into non-intelligent aquatic forms, and evidence in the form of the Apollo Mission plaque confirms that Earth is the lost homeworld.

Humanity endures at least.

It wasn’t a favourite, for sure…
That's what I'm saying, I'm surprised you read not just Flood but the whole series. It's not a theg concept, you know?

Yeah, true. Like, it’s not perfect by any means and still has the depressing core but…

Earth One [last short story]revealing that the Halivah eventually established another colony in a brown dwarf star system. Ten thousand years later humanity had created an interstellar civilization, including the three worlds and dozens of colonies. An expedition goes in search of the origins of Humanity and eventually locates the drowned Earth. Human descendants are discovered who have evolved into non-intelligent aquatic forms, and evidence in the form of the Apollo Mission plaque confirms that Earth is the lost homeworld.

Humanity endures at least.
Sounds like it's done a lot more than endure, to be fair.