Gabon became a French department in 1962.

Hello everyone, I am starting a little work on an AH France in the years 1950-1980 (see my post on France allied with the US and a Gaullist England).
My main question for the moment relates to a process of decolonization that differs widely from historical reality, with the possibility for France to maintain itself without damage on the African continent well after 1962.
Gabon was not very favorable to independence, its first president Léon Mba even asking in 1958 for a status of French overseas department ... refused by the DeGaulle government, let's admit that Léon Mba's request is accepted and that Gabon becomes a French department, what are the direct and indirect consequences on Central Africa (what about Mobutu?)?

France, sooner or later, would not have kept this department indefinitely. I could see in the 70s or 80s finally achieve independence anyway, admittedly late like Djibouti and the Comoros.

The French, as it was consolidating whatever colonies it could keep, would've kept Gabon. Look at French Guiana for an example.
While I believe Mayotte is a better example, I think it likely France could've kept Gabon so long as the local population was pro-French.
Whether it would, well... it would likely ended up as the fiefdom of Total or Elf until the oil was gone.

So long as the country votes to remain French, France is not going to let go of it (see Guyana, New Caledonia and Djibouti until it voted out).

A French department of Gabon might work out relatively well for everyone, with the Gabonese like the other inhabitants of Overseas France enjoying the economic and social benefits of French citizenship and with France having a large resource-rich territory. The oil will come in handy, I think.

The main question is whether or not France would be at all interested in keeping territory on the African continent. Would this be a politically viable project, especially after the so-recent loss of Algeria?

It could be actually. I think I remember that it was discussed that Sénégal would maybe go the same way as Gabon, but that because it was integrated in the larger Mali federation (current Mali + Sénégal), and that Mali really wanted to become independent, then Sénégal became independent alongside it even if it was not necessarily the desired outcome. Then quickly after the Mali federation dissolved and Sénégal became independent.

Maybe if the POD is that Gabon's request to become a department is accepted, then Sénégal realise the option is available and goes for it instead of opting for a West African federation solution? How plausible would that be?

Very interesting concept, though...

with the possibility for France to maintain itself without damage on the African continent well after 1962.

The main question is whether or not France would be at all interested in keeping territory on the African continent.

...you both do realise that between the military bases, various highly favourable trade agreements, economic dominance, friendly governments (and interventions to keep said governments friendly), France never really left Africa, right? :p

Very interesting concept, though...

...you both do realise that between the military bases, various highly favourable trade agreements, economic dominance, friendly governments (and interventions to keep said governments friendly), France never really left Africa, right? :p
Can't really object to that. Maybe if France actually keeps mainland African territories, like Gabon and Djibouti, then it would focus more ressources to it which would mean less ressources invested elsewhere in Africa (military bases only in actual French territory, economic investment to keep African departments not too far back from mainland France, like in Mayotte,...) if one assumes that the amount of ressources dedicated to the African continent is fixed.

I think that Mayotte's example proves that this is not feasible in the long run. Mayotte is probably the best example we have of a continuing European colony in Africa which is relatively close and accessible to the mainland, enough so that it is feasible for large population movements there, and with a government which has a consistent policy of attempting to provide for standards of living which attempt to approximate the level of the metropole. Mayotte's population has absolutely exploded, to the level of it having grown x10 the level of the population that it had around the time when most French colonies got independence, in circa 1960. I don't know exactly how much it requires in expenditure from France, but I think I have seen figures running up to the billion euro range.

Gabon has the advantage of oil revenue, and its current population is relatively small, 2.2 million people. But it is even easier to get to, since unlike Mayotte it is not an island, and if you have a consistent policy of attempting to provide living standards that converge to Metropolitan French levels, then you are going to get massive, massive, immigration into Gabon. Gabons population would probably be multiple times larger than it is right now because of that, and this will simply not be affordable for France in the long run, even with the oil revenue. I think it will take a few decades but eventually the combination of massively spirally local expenditures and the continuing political tensions which will happen about being a colonial possession will result in a break.