Future Province Map - Discussion

VT45

Banned
Oh, and if people want to claim provinces, here's the place to do it. I claim Massachusetts to start off.

Krall

Banned
But, if they're united under one government, what sort of conflict would there be between them?

What I found strange:

- Why do the Finns + Karelians have St Petersburg?
- An arctic province OK, but should it have all of Norway?
- Why unite Tibet and Sinkiang, since the latter rather fits into the -stans, having a Turkic population?
- Unite Serbia and Albania?
- Independent and Persian Azerbaijan could be united (unless the population grows too big)
- But I definitely wouldn't recommend giving Armenia to the Azeris!
- Quebec, Acadia and parts of NE in one province?

I don't see a united earth having 'provinces'. I agree the map seems a bit...confused.
And of course I always object to that bright green.

VT45

Banned
What I found strange:

- Why do the Finns + Karelians have St Petersburg?
- An arctic province OK, but should it have all of Norway?
- Why unite Tibet and Sinkiang, since the latter rather fits into the -stans, having a Turkic population?
- Unite Serbia and Albania?
- Independent and Persian Azerbaijan could be united (unless the population grows too big)
- But I definitely wouldn't recommend giving Armenia to the Azeris!
- Quebec, Acadia and parts of NE in one province?

It's mostly based on population, as people in this time period recognize that they are all human, and most intra-planetary conflicts ended centuries ago.

@ Krall: the provinces retain some powers of a sovereign nation, much like the United States under the Articles of Confederation. The United Earth government functions much like the European Union today. Therefore, there are still different forms of government on the planet, but they all answer to the larger planetary government. These differences in government will introduce some friction between the provinces and make for some interesting dialogue, both in the World Senate and in the Council of Governors.

VT45

Banned
Bumping this up. Ok, so that may not be the best idea for an ME, but I'd still appreciate people's help in fleshing out this world. We have a 700 year gap between now and then, so a lot could happen. Think of it as a TL collab instead of an ME.

My major annoyance is that many areas appear to be balkanized for no real reason, while other are unnecesarily large, point in case:
1: Java is heavily balkanized, and yet Libya is joined with Tunisia
2: Germany is mildly balkanized, but Austria came out unscathed.
3: Hungary is one province, as is Greece, Cuba, Bulgaria, Portugal, Sweden, Burkina Faso, Chad, etc.
4: unnecesary divisions of multiple states, like Nepal, Algeria, England, Mexico, Ethipoia, and Australia.
5: Unproper unison of various states, like the Baltic region (Estonia is closer in kin with Hungary and Finland that Latvia and Lithuania), Armenia and Azerbaijan, various Central American states, Israel and Jordan, Quebec with New England and Labrador and Newfoundland.

Other areas just make no real sense, like California is a perfect example: You have seperated the Bay area and made it it's own province, whilst, Southern California (ie San Diego) is put in with Baja California. You remove those two areas, and Californias population becomes fairly thin, as the rest of it is mountains and desert.

VT45

Banned
California on its own has nearly 40 million people. The Bay area province has 10 million people in it, as does the Baja province. The reason I have the other areas balkanized or joined together is for population count. Each province is as close to 10 million in population as I could possibly got them.