Furor Celticus: A Gallic Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction: Strange Men from Strange Lands
Furor Celticus: a Gallic TL

Gaul united, forming a single nation, animated by a single spirit, can defy the Universe.
-
Memorial of Vercingetorix (1)

**​

Introduction: Strange Men from Strange Lands

Gaul is a rich and conflicted land. Rich, from its fertile grounds, thick forests, and productive gold and iron mines. Conflicted, from the hundred or so different nations living there. For the Romans, it was simply Gallia Transalpina, the Gaul beyond the Alps, per opposition to Cisalpina, the same side as them, i.e. Italia north of the Po River. The ancient Gauls are often described as tumultuous peoples, proud and hot-blooded, seen as intimidating by their Greek and Roman neighbours, being usually large and tall: “of a lofty stature, fair and ruddy complexion; terrible form the sternness of their eyes”. They were brave warriors, highly sought as mercenaries: they fought for Carthage, for Egypt, for the Hellenic kingdoms, and ultimately for themselves: when the land became overcrowded, they assembled in large migrating hordes looking for a new place to settle, and woe to those trying to stop them: they devastated Rome once in the fourth century BCE, Greece and Macedon during the third. But as fearsome as they could be in war, they were far from barbaric or primitive. By the time of the Roman invasion, they were already established as an industrious civilization for centuries: they tilled the land and lived in oppida, fortified towns that could be as large as Roman or Greek settlements, minted coins, built roads, roamed rivers and seas to sell their goods, had elaborate laws and judicial system. Excellent craftsmen and metalworkers, the tombs of their ancestors are filled with priceless treasures and astounding works of art.

Beyond their tribal identities, however, they only had a vague sense of belonging to a same cultural group. At best, they called themselves Celtaes (2) in central Gaul and Belgaes in the north, they had similar (at least in the eyes of outsiders) but different customs and languages, it was the Romans who first used the term ‘Gauls’ to designate them as a group. Links with the Germanic peoples in the east, and Aquitani in the south were also close, to the point it becomes difficult sometime to tell where a certain culture began and another ended. The Britanni of Britain also shared the same cultural background and language proximity, and the sea wasn’t an obstacle to regular exchanges, peaceful or not, between the continent and the islands.

Rome’s presence in Gaul developed in the second century BCE; following the end of the Punic war and the acquisition of former Carthaginian colonies in Hispania, the necessity of a safe land connection arose. Pragmatics, the Romans bought lands from Massilia and extended it, submitting the various tribes of southern Gaul such as the Vocontii, the Saluvii and the Volcaes, defeating their northern neighbours the Arverni and Allobroges, then founding the town of Narbo Martius(4) in 118 BCE. By the 60s BCE, Rome controlled a territory ranging from the Alps to the Garunna River to the west, and the Cebenna mountains to the north, with a long reach through the Rhodanos valley(5). This new province was added to the Republic under the name of Gallia Narbonensis: the Gaul of Narbo.

The Roman presence left a profound mark on the Gallic society. Among the vanquished people, Rome propped up leaders favourable to them, and by doing so, introduced a new form of government inspired by the Republic: defeated kings were replaced by a council usually formed of the local aristocracy: land-owners and druids. Backed by Rome, the tribes who accepted the changes usually ended up at the head of regional hegemonies, serving as buffers with the more distant and hostile tribes of the North, especially the Germans (5). The Aeduis notably, and to a lesser extent the Arverni, beneficiated greatly from privileged commercial ties with the Romans, allowing them to build a large sphere of influence in central Gaul. Amphoras of Roman wine, one of the most sought-after luxury, went up the Rhodanos by the literal million, while fur, iron, tin, lead, copper, timber and slaves went downstream back to Rome. This status quo lasted several generations, the Gauls kept the border against northern raiders and the Romans refrained from meddling into tribal politics unless their interests were directly threatened. Thus, it would be easy then to blame the end of this relatively fair relationship on the greed of a single man, Gaius Julius Caesar, but the truth is more complex. Even without Caesar, a Roman invasion was bound to happen, because the squabbling, divided people of Gaul kept inviting the wolf to enter.

(1) Visible in Alise-Sainte-Reine, France. The quote is reported being said during the siege of Avaricon (de Bello Gallico, VII, 29)

(2) Translated by the Greek into ‘Keltoi’ (later giving the modern word ‘Celt’), who already used it to designate all continental Celts.

(3) ‘Narbo of Mars’: Narbonne.

(4) Respectively: the Garonne River, the Cevennes Mountains and the Rhône Valley.

(5) The Cimbric and Teutonic migration in the late 100 BCE was a stark reminder the Germans were never too far away.

Friends, Romans, Gauls, Countrymen! Lend me your ear…

Four years ago, I started toying with a TL revolving around a victory of Vercingetorix over Caesar in 52 BCE. I managed to produce a reasonably sized draft, but then real life came in the way, my attention got diverted, and I faded back to lurker status on the forum. Fast forward a few months ago, I exhumed this draft and decided to finish it up. Thus, this post marks my returns as an active member.

I am aware I didn’t pick up the easiest subject: the odds are heavily stacked against the Gauls. I’ll do my best to stay plausible, and not rely on strokes of luck and convenient coincidences too often, even if in that regard, life has proven many times to be stranger than fiction…

The Gauls had a calendar (see Coligny) but it is rather obscure and complex. I was tempted to create a made-up calendar, but it would raise too many questions I didn’t have the answer to. So, I kept using the Christian calendar for simplicity and saving the reader from mental conversion gymnastics.

I also needed to create a non-negligible amount of original (i.e made-up) facts. We know virtually nothing about Vercingetorix’ personal life, not even his exact age. But in a world were Gallic independence endures, an in-universe writer would logically have more information about him. He would marry and have children at some point. What I mean is that quickly, you’ll see appearing characters who didn’t exist IOTL to fill up roles. For instance, Serra of Alesia is such a character, created to be a counterpart to Plutarch and provide the Gallic point of view we never had. (I’ll post a little bio of those fictional authors)

It is my first, and hopefully not last, TL. Should I fail to maintain a plausible scenario, I hope at least to provide an entertaining read.

Finally, I’d like to thank SlyDessertFox and LSCatilina for kindly fact checking my draft back then, and being a solid source of inspiration themselves.

Part I: The Wolf and the Boar
Part I: The Wolf and the Boar

(Gaul, 58-52 BCE)

I am a free man, from a free nation. - Dumnorix (1)

In 58 BCE, Gaius Julius Caesar, recently made proconsul of Illyria, Cisalpine and Transalpine Gaul, set off to submit the Gallic tribes living north of the Cebenna. Invading Gaul wasn't something he dreamed overnight: the initial reason for crossing the border was to rescue the Allobroge and Aedui from encroaching Helvetii in central Gaul, but after defeating them and their allies the Boii, Caesar realized the opportunity presented to him: a rich land inhabited by divided people, some favourable to Rome, some hostile: the potential for conquest was there. It was common for Roman proconsuls, who usually commanded important forces to defend the Republic’s borders, to engage in such military adventurism without the Senate’s approbation for personal gain and glory. Running for consulship was an expensive affair and getting proconsulship afterward was the best way to recoup the money: if not by conquest at least by milking the hell out of the assigned province. Caesar’s main political rival Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus had conquered large swathes of Asia and Syria the decade before, a campaign that had stemmed from an anti-piracy operation in Cilicia, bringing back a mind-boggling amount of looted riches and immense prestige. Gaul wasn’t as large and wealthy as the Orient, but the Romans always considered the Asians weak and decadents, whereas the Gauls inspired awe and fear: worthy opponents that could win Caesar a ticket to military honours.

800px-Gaule_-59.png

Gaul at the eve of Caesar's campaign
(Source: Wikipedia)

First, Caesar offered Rome’s arbitration in tribal disputes. Gallic leaders had always been keen on inviting their powerful southern neighbour to support their side in a feud, and many a deposed chief went and courted the Senate to help him regain his ‘rightful’ throne. Caesar carefully picked off tribe after tribe, playing on their rivalries or promising high status to their leaders and solving their problem in exchange of their allegiance, while those who refused to agree to his terms faced his legions. Caesar was strongly criticized at first, after he fought on the behalf of the Sequani and defeated Ariovistus, a Suebi chieftain considered at the time an ally of Rome. But with a series of brilliants victories to back his rights and loot money to buy support, his political opponents in the Senate, chiefs among them Marcus Tullius Cicero and Marcus Porcius Cato, could do little against him when he lobbied for, and obtained, the prolongation of his command. The proconsul’s attitude toward the Gauls morphed over the years, from helping hand to iron hand, there was no more any semblance of a fair deal: unconditional surrender or destruction became the only choice offered to the Gallic tribes, and even those who initially benefitted greatly from being allied to Caesar started to resent this bullying. As a result, local rebellions multiplied, only to be mercilessly crushed: the Veneti refused to yield in 56 BCE and got virtually wiped out. In 54, insurgent Belgaes tribes led by the Eburone leaders Ambiorix and Catuvolcos inflicted a severe defeat to the Roman forces left stationed in the area, but Caesar eventually came back with his whole army and crushed them, relentlessly pursuing those who crossed him beyond the Rhine. In 53, he cracked down on the Senones and publicly flogged to death their king Acco. At the end of this last punitive campaign, Caesar left his troops garrisoned for the winter and headed back home to deal with the important political turmoil following the death of Marcus Licinius Crassus at Carrhae against the Parthians, troubles who aggravated dangerously with the assassination of Publius Clodius Pulcher, a prominent populist and sulphurous political figure, in January 52.

Not long after, the 23 January, a new, massive uprising against Roman domination started almost by accident. In the Carnute town of Cenabon (2), where Romans representatives were established, two local noblemen entered a dispute with Roman traders that ended in a general riot where the Roman citizens got drawn out and killed. The exact reason of this dispute is still unknown, and it may have been intentionally provoked by the two Carnutes, but it reflects the general resent against Roman dominance. The news travelled throughout the country in a matter of days and reached the powerful Arverni tribe, where a young and charismatic chieftain, Vercingetorix, took it as a signal to raise his people against Rome. The tribe’s leaders at Gergovia were initially against defying the Romans and attempted to exile the troublemaker, but popular support overcame them; the Arverni have been longing for revenge against the Romans for generations; their last king, Bituitos, has been captured and humiliated by them in 121 BCE. This loss tarnished their standing among the other people, but they were still highly influential and counted many friends and allies sworn to them; the Vellavi, Gabali, and Cadurci were their immediate clients. Many other disgruntled tribes fed up with Caesar’s attitude joined the insurrection: the Bituriges, Senones, Pictones, Turones, Parisii, Aulerci, Lemovici, Petrocorii, Ruteni, Nitiobroges, Santones, and nearly all the people living along the Atlantic coast took arms and overthrew the pro-roman figureheads imposed upon them.

Caesar returned to Gaul in emergency, managing to retake command of his legions garrisoned throughout the country before they are isolated from each other, and assessed the situation: the revolt had spread like a wildfire, and the proconsul realized he must act quickly before the Gauls get too organized. In March, Vercingetorix is acclaimed as the revolt’s leader at Bibracte; such consensus among the tribes has rarely, if ever, been heard of before. For the past century, under Roman influence, Gauls have developed an aversion for self-styled kings, preferring a form of oligarchy, sometime led by one or more elected magistrate usually called vergobrets (except among the Belgaes, where traditional kingship was still in favour) Convincing them to put aside their rivalries and feuds to follow him was no small feat, but Vercingetorix was not just another rabble-rouser; he was the son of an ancient and noble line who gave the Arverni several kings: his father Celtillos had a legitimate claim on power, and was killed in 75 by those afraid of provoking the Romans by restoring a monarchy. Vercingetorix had everything that represented the Gallic ideal: young, brave, dashing, cunning, eloquent, heir of a revered past, with aspirations to greatness and a hunger for glory; he was the leader they were waiting for.

Little information is known about his youth. Roman and Greek authors worked with hearsays, Gallic chroniclers with self-aggrandizing tales. Born in 78 BCE at Gergovia in an aristocratic family of high standing, from Celtillos a prominent Arverni clan leader and Iomara, a daughter from the chief clan of the Vellavi people, who was still alive in 52 and seemed to have died in the 40s. He claimed to descend from two Arverni kings from the mid second century BCE named Luernos and Segovax, to whom are attributed many feats of arms although nothing but oral tradition confirms. He also has three uncles and an aunt: Orgetos and Leontorios on his mother side, the former would raise him and the son of the latter being is future brother-in-arms Vercassivellaunos, Dorulacos and Indumna on his father side, as well as Gobannitos, Indumna’s husband and head of the conservative, pro-roman faction.

From the get go, Vercingetorix inherited wealth and important political connections; despite Celtillos’ demise, he was called to be a leader and learned from a young age to navigate clan and faction dynamics. Politics in the Arverni was then rather one-sided: the oligarchic council made sure the elected vergobret would be committed to maintaining the status quo with Rome, effective since the defeat of Bituitos in 121. Celtillos made the mistake to openly challenge it and paid for it: accused to mount a coup, he was put on trial and sentenced to death. Gobannitos is often vilified as a one who actively intrigued to obtain this verdict, even if he probably had little to do but let things follow their courses: insufficiently backed, Celtillos’ move was foolish and doomed from the start. But because of his familial links and the retroactive lionization of Celtillos as a ‘defender of freedom’ (rather than just an over ambitious man), Gobannitios would be remembered more a traitor to the cause than any of the other leading member of the tribal council. Yet the two men used to be close, Vercingetorix having married Ica, one of Gobannitios’ niece.

Vercingetorix would show no sign of following his father’s footsteps before he met Caesar. As a young son of the nobility, Vercingetorix was sent to command a squadron of Arverni cavalry, serving as auxiliaries for the Romans against the Helvetii and the Suebi: such troop contribution being a standard requirement from Rome to allies and vassals. Vercingetorix served approximatively from 61 to 55, time during which he was taught Roman tactics, organisation and leadership, a knowledge he would put to good use later. He would witness first-hand Roman depredations ramping up under Caesar: “infuriated by the injustice made to his fellow countrymen” he immediately started federating anti-roman partisans around him once back home. By 52, he had acquired the loyalty of a large popular base thanks to his noted oratory skills; his inflammatory tirades mixing nostalgia for past glory, sense of wounded pride, pressing concerns about heavy tributes, with a dash of witticism always appreciated by Gallic audiences.

The Roman thieves never ceased to plague us. Since the day they forced us on our knees, they rob us each day of something new, and expect more. Tell me friends, if a man is ambushed, beaten over the head, his cattle dispersed, his grain stolen, would he say to his aggressor: ‘thank you for your kind visit, please come back again’? – Vercingetorix’ public address after the news of the Senone revolt.

After Ica’s death from illness a year earlier, the rift with his uncle broadened fast. The Carnute insurrection provided a spark: being a tribe with friendly links to the Arverni, Vercingetorix immediately championed to lead an army to their help. Gobannitios and the tribal council attempted to shut him down by hastily voting his banishment, but it was too late: his partisans had already gathered in large numbers outside the walls of Gergovia. Instated commander in chief, Vercingetorix was given the necessary authority to raise troops and establish a strategy.

256px-Vercingetorix_stat%C3%A8re_MAN.jpg

Gold stater of Vercingetorix, dated 52 BCE.​

He knew the Romans strengths: the discipline and polyvalence of the legion, their organisation and their mastery of siege warfare. He also knew their weaknesses: their vulnerability to ambushes and skirmishes, the lack of good cavalry, and the huge amount of equipment they had to carry around (3). The Arverni new leader decided to wear down Caesar with hit and run attacks against the Romans supply lines and scorched earth tactics to prevent him from foraging food from the land. Pro-Roman tribes were not spared, with attacks launched across the provincial border against the Helvii and Allobroges.

Caesar responded as he did previously, by targeting the oppida of the revolting tribes. Cenabon, the place where it all began, was among his first victims. After a short siege, the town is taken and torched; the Romans mercilessly put to the sword almost all its inhabitants. Other settlements would suffer the same fate despite embattled resistance, culminating with Avaricon (4) in Spring 52 BCE, where a massive slaughter left barely a hundred survivors of a population of several thousands. When Vercingetorix ended the cat and mouse game and called for the gathering of his allies to confront the Romans, Caesar rushed to prevent the Gauls from regrouping; he sent a trusted legate, Titus Labienus, with four legions to deal with the Parisii, Senones and Aulerci tribes while himself marched on Gergovia, centre of the Arverni power. These northern tribes were assembling in Lutetia, oppidum of the Parisii, under the initiative of the old Aulerci leader Camulogene, with the intention to send a considerable contribution to Vercingetorix.

In May, Titus Labienus found himself bogged down, unable to advance on Lutetia by the south. The swampy area slowed his troops’ progression and made them easy prey for Senone skirmishers. Backtracking to the deserted Senone town of Aganticon (5), the Roman commander left his baggage train guarded by his greener recruits, then crossed the Sequana (6) river by boat. Camulogene reacted by burning all the bridges as well as the farmland on the northern side and took position on the southern bank, refusing to engage. In the meantime, Caesar failed to take Gergovia: the oppidum is better prepared than the others, and the Romans were constantly harassed by the Gallic cavalry. Worse; the Aedui tribe, a long-time ally of Rome who provided many auxiliaries troops, turned against them under the impulsion of their new vergobret Convictolitavis, despite them being rivals of the Arverni for generations. Indeed, anti-Roman sentiment had been boiling since the death of Dumnorix, a nobleman who staunchly opposed the subjugation of his fellow Aeduis and had been killed by Caesar’s men came to arrest him in 55, and several of their clients, like the Bituriges and the Senones joined Vercingetorix early on, putting an intense pressure on the rest of the Aedui confederation. Faced with the possible explosion of their network of clients across conflict lines, Convictolitavis had no qualms betraying Caesar.

With enemies now on every sides, the attack on Gergovia became impossible and Caesar had to lift the siege and regroup his forces. When he heard of Caesar’s retreat, Labienus chose to abandon the expedition to go to his commander’s help, but a strong force of Bellovaci warriors was coming from the North, threatening to trap him. He devised a bold plan: sending most of his forces down the river by boat at night, while a smaller force created a distraction by marching loudly up the river. It nearly worked. The dark and stormy night should have allowed him to pass by undetected, but Parisii sentries spotted the ships at the last moment, and the Romans were ambushed at dawn while disembarking. Surprised in a difficult position, the battle turned disastrous for Labienus: he and most of his men are killed, while the troops who were still waiting on the North bank are engaged by the Bellovaci. The victorious Gauls then fell upon Labienus’ camp guards at Aganticon and routed them easily. Shortly after, they too learned about Vercingetorix’s victory at Gergovia, and departed to join him without delay. (7)

It is often said that Camulogene, son of Cunorix of the Aulerci was in the winter of his life, having seen Spring three and sixty time already. His hairs have all turned white and his weariness often weighted on his shoulders. Yet, he was still driven like a man half his age and his powerful shout covered the clamour of the battle; his presence alone was enough to inspire those around him with vigour and courage, replacing doubt with pride and hope in their hearts. - Serra of Alesia, a Day of Kings and Heroes

In early July, the news of the double victory against Rome enticed more and more Gallic nations to rise and join in or at the very least retract their support to the Romans, even their best allies like the Treveri, Remi, and Lingones (8) started to take their distances. Already worried and low on supplies, Caesar’s situation became more precarious when he learned Labienus’ demise. It was a harsh blow: Titus Labienus was a close friend and one of Caesar’s best officer, and the troops he commanded would be missed. In the meantime, he received two fresh legions from Italy in reinforcement, and called to him Germanic mercenaries: the Gallic allies of the Roman army have all turned their cloaks at this point after the defection of the Aeduis, save for a few southern Gauls. Caesar now faced two possibilities: retreating south and erect defences or lead a counter-offensive deep into enemy territory. Retreating is unthinkable: he would lose hard-won gains, and admit he bit more than he could chew; just what his enemies in Rome waited for to have him sacked. It would be the end of both his military and political career. So, being always the attacker and risk taker, constantly moving forward, he chose naturally to go north; into Belgica, to cut the uprising short in the region and intimidate the Atrebates and the rest of the Belgaes back into neutrality before they could join Vercingetorix. It would later be known as “Caesar’s folly”.

(1) OTL quote.

(2) Orléans

(3) After the Marian reforms, a legionnaire had to carry from 20 up to 35kg

(4) Bourges

(5) Sens

(6) The Seine River, named after a minor Gallic goddess of waters.

(7) The actual POD. OTL, Labienus’s little ruse worked fine: he catches Camulogene unaware, kills him and disperses most his warriors before returning to Caesar.

(8) Who didn’t OTL, too scared or indecisive.

Last edited:
Put Caesar's skull on a stake. One thing, I always saw thought Vercingetrix to be Caesar's most talented foe and also the one that came closest to killing him.

Last edited:
Very interesting TL, I shall be watching. A minor request though, could you please mark somehow the "made-up facts" in the first chapter? I don't know much about this period and I wouldn't want to confuse history with allohistory :V

Put Caesar's skull on a stake. One thing, I always saw thought Vercingetrix to be Caesar's most talented foe and also the one that came closest to killing him.

My humble opinion is that Caesar won in the end because he was Julius goddamn Caesar, and even then, it was a narrow victory. I think a slightly less talented Roman Commander would have lost against Vercingetorix.

Very interesting TL, I shall be watching. A minor request though, could you please mark somehow the "made-up facts" in the first chapter? I don't know much about this period and I wouldn't want to confuse history with allohistory :V

A fair request. In this chapter I had to make up most of Vercingetorix' personal life to fill the gap. IOTL we know nothing apart from the following facts (all from Caesar)
-He was less than 30 year old in 52 BC
-He initially served with the Romans (exact dates unknown, probably not far from what I gave) and got most of his 'military education' from them.
-He was certainly royal material
-His father Celtillos was executed by his peers for trying to resurrect a monarchical system (time and circumstances unknown)
-His uncle Gobannitos opposed him and tried to have him exiled
-His cousin Vercassivellaunos apparently led the Vellavi, an 'off-shoot' tribe of the Arverni.
-Those three above are the only relatives of him we know.

I'll also try to post maps to help locating all those tribes in the future.

Part II: A Sword Unbroken
Part II: A Sword Unbroken

(Alesia, 52 BCE)

Iron calls, the blood answers! - Senone war cry

Vercingetorix, out of Gergovia, pursued Caesar’s army until the Roman turned around to face him in the field near Alesia. The Gauls aligned 80000 warriors and 8000 horsemen. The Romans had 8 Legions, plus remnants of Labienus’s detachment and Germanics mercenaries, for a total of 52000 soldiers and 9000 horsemen. After two hours of tough fight and being relentlessly flanked by the Germans, Vercingetorix is forced to retreat into Alesia. Caesar, emboldened and seeing an opportunity to finish his enemy, immediately besieged the settlement. It was later said it has been the mistake that costed him victory and that he should have stuck to his original plan, but he couldn’t conceive to leave Vercingetorix unpunished or simply letting anyone believe he refused to confront the Arverni. He ordered the construction of a dual line of walls and forts: one to keep Vercingetorix inside, the other to face Gallic reinforcement he suspected were on the way. His scouts quickly confirmed his worst fears: an army strong of 120000 men (1) was converging toward Alesia. The Gallic coalition was led by Commios, king of the Atrebates, Vercassivellaunos who was Vercingetorix’s cousin, Viridomaros and Eporedorix commanders of the Aedui, Moritasgos of the Senones, Lucterios of the Cadurci, Sedullos of the Lemovici, Teutomatos of the Nitiobroges, and Camulogene of the Aulerci. They also received a surprise visitor attracted by the victory at Lutetia: Ambiorix, the cunning Eburone leader who fought against the Roman two years ago and had evaded Caesar’s wrath since by disappearing beyond the Rhine, came back with a small corps of Belgae and German kin, “brandishing a sword unbroken” in front of an astonished assembly who thought him dead.

Having tasted Roman tactics and trickery before, Camulogene and Ambiorix advised a cautious approach of the roman defences, scouting carefully and looking for traps. Indeed, a mixed force of Roman and German cavalry commanded by Gaius Trebonius and Marcus Antonius would attempt several times to harass their rear guard and baggage train. Knowing he was facing an imminent assault by a force superior in numbers, Caesar pulled as many troops and siege engines as possible from the inner line to reinforce the contravallation. Noticing the movement, Vercingetorix understand the coalition has arrived; he then prepared his own warriors for a sortie. Alesia was overcrowded and with very little resources left; it’s his best opportunity to break the siege before things turned dire.

The Coalition attacked at dusk, the 1st of August, after managing to send a man inside the night before (2). With mobile shields and scales, they assaulted the outer fortifications on three points, where they had noticed unfinished construction: north, west, and north-west, while under heavy fire from Roman ballistaes. But the first two were merely diversion for the third. Hearing the carnyxes of his countrymen, Vercingetorix made his own move against the circumvallation; he had harassed constantly the Roman builders since the beginning of the siege to slow down the encirclement and knew its weakest point. Part of his plan include bringing with him the women of Alesia, in a tentative to make his forces look larger in the twilight and scare the defenders, betting on the fact that Caesar left the less experienced soldiers behinds. While rarely on the frontline, it was not so uncommon for women to take up arms, especially to defend their home, and Gallic women had a long-time reputation of being rather fierce and independent (3). Chroniclers like Serra later explained Vercingetorix had still in memory the brutal sack of Cenabon and Avaricon by the Romans, where the civilian population was almost entirely massacred. He thought he could at least give them a chance to defend themselves.

Once they assembled all the willing women, Vercingetorix asked who will lead them. Each of his men turned away their eyes, embarrassed and arguing it was below them to be given the command of a group of women. A tall one stepped forward, her name was Aedruina, daughter of Ebicatos of the Mandubii, and said to him: “Give me a spear, O Vercingetorix son of Celtillos of the Arverni! Give me a spear, and I will march my kin to battle. Give me a spear, and I will show the Roman how fierce is the heart of a woman of the Mandubii! Our people harbour no craven, no matter their birth” And Vercingetorix ordered that she was given spear and shield and said: “You are brave among the braves, Aedruina daugther of Ebicatos, for you are doing what even my men are afraid to do.” And then all the men bowed their head, theirs faces red from shame, swearing to be braver than Aedruina of the Mandubii. - Serra of Alesia, a Day of Kings and Heroes

Effectively tricked, the Romans, seeing the very large number of enemies pouring out of the town, started retreating from the most advanced positions to regroup. But the move was not understood by some of their comrades, and quickly panic and confusion spread on the inner line as the night fall.

Vercingetorix ended up being the first to break into the Roman positions, wreaking havoc: he freed prisoners, started fires, and cut communications between forts, preventing the Romans from properly coordinating their formation in the middle of the camp, effectively isolating them from each other. The women did their part as well, their bravery noted despite sometime having no more than rocks and insults to throw at the enemy. A breach finally opened on the northern wall: Romans defenders were flanked and overwhelmed, trapped in their own fortification system, the carnage was massive: while the Gallic coalition lost an estimated 18000 men in the battle, only 6000 Romans survived to see the next morning. It was a heavy defeat, with a number of Roman casualties not seen since the darkest days of the Cimbric war. Caesar rode out in a last-ditch charge, preferring to die in battle rather than surrender. But Fortuna foiled his wishes again: as his horse is killed, he twisted his ankle falling. A group of former Aedui auxiliaries passing by recognized him and decided to capture him alive rather than simply bring back his head. The Arverni chief rewarded them “with two gold torcs each”.

Among the other notable Roman captured and not immediately executed that day are Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus and Quintus Tullius Cicero (4). The prisoners are treated relatively well, for they are recognized valuable hostages in future negotiations, another leaf Vercingetorix took from the Romans’ book. Marcus Antonius and Servius Sulpicius Galba are killed while defending their positions, Gaius Trebonius, Aulus Hirtius, Marcus Licinius Crassus (5) managed to escape.

There are two conflicting versions of the final fate of Caesar. Plutarch, Tacitus, and Serra all claim he asked Vercingetorix to be given a quick death, ‘put to the sword’, either at the hand of a fellow Roman or a Gaul. Dio Cassius suggests he was kept alive and died months later of illness. Serra also affirms that toward the end of his life, Vercingetorix came back to the battle site to bury the skull of Caesar he had kept as trophy. The skull, she wrote, would talk to him in his dreams and beg to be laid to rest. To this day, generations of treasure hunters have since looked for this ghastly prize in vain, to the greatest amusement of local Alesians.

(1) Caesar speaks of 250000 Gauls in his commentaries, an obvious exaggeration. Historians today think they were 90 to 100000, which is still impressive. With the extra tribes who joined after Lutetia, the number could swell to around 120000.

(2) An idea from Ambiorix, that wasn’t agreed by all, especially Commios who distrusted him. But the coordination with the besieged turned out to be vital.

(3) As Ammianus Marcellinus once wrote: “A whole troop of foreigners would not be able to withstand a single Gaul if he called his wife to his assistance.

(4) Brother of Marcus, the more well-known Cicero.

(5) Grandson of Crassus the Triumvir.

Last edited:
*does a happy-dance over Caesar's demise*

Loving this TL, definitely watching this moving forward!

I wonder what Rome will do now in the face of such a sudden and decisive series of defeats? The Romanophilic may declare that "Rome will never tolerate such a strong neighbor", but I'm willing to bet they'll try to put their money where their mouth is and come out wanting.

Rome may be a fascinating civilization, but it is nice to see them being knocked down a peg or two. OTL history was almost a Rome-wank.

Rome may be a fascinating civilization, but it is nice to see them being knocked down a peg or two. OTL history was almost a Rome-wank.

Very much agreed. Also fixed that for you. They went from one city state amongst dozens to be one of the largest and longest lasting empires in history. That's a wank if there ever was one.

Part III: Stirring the Beast
Part III: Stirring the Beast

(Gaul, 52 BCE)

He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious. - Sun Tzu

The shocking news of the destruction of Caesar’s forces reached Rome in September. One year after the catastrophic expedition of Crassus against the Parthians, the Republic faced again a humiliating defeat, leaving the territories of Gallia Narbonensis now in danger of being overrun by the Arverni-led coalition, and beyond it, the gate to Italy almost unguarded. The 300-years old ghost of the devastation of Rome by a Celtic horde suddenly awoke, stronger than ever, as many believed that Vercingetorix would lead his massive army on a rampage. The fall of Caesar has made Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, last standing member of the Triumvirate, the most important figure of Rome. Caesar’s supporters could only bite their tongues as he asked, with fake kindness, “to not blame Caesar too hard for his misfortune” and assured he will oversee the defence of Roman Gaul. Pompey immediately mustered four legions and, as proconsul of Hispania, ordered one of his legates over there, Marcus Petreius, to send three more toward Narbo Martius.

329px-Pompey_the_Great.jpg

Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus​

The reality was different however: now that the immediate threat had vanished, many Gauls yearned for home; to prepare for winter and reconstruct the many oppida devastated by the Romans. Comnios and the other Belgaes especially worried that their lands would be preyed upon by Germanic raiders should they stay away too long. Thus, nearly half of the men had to return home. From there, the Gallic Coalition marched south down the Rhodanos (1) valley with a force of 70000 men divided into two armies, mostly Arverni, Senones, Cadurci, Lemovices, Bituriges, Pictones, and Aeduis. The only Belgaes to stay were Ambiorix and two thousand exiles hungry for loot, glory, and revenge.

Together, they retook the various oppida garrisoned by the Romans. Local auxiliaries usually surrendered or opposed little resistance, but things changed when they reached the Roman colonies of Arelate Sextanorum (2), Aquae Sextiae (3), and the provincial capital Narbo Martius (4): the local Volcae and Vocontii tribes were prosperous from the trade with Rome and were traditionally rivals of the northern tribes like the Arverni and the Aeduis. They were more inclined to side with the Romans, and thus many among Vercingetorix’s coalition wanted their land mercilessly pillaged. But the Arverni leader preferred to show some restrain: after several years of meager harvest and scorched earth tactics to wear down Caesar’s army, northern Gaul would struggle to feed itself during the incoming winter. Being able to trade for food, as well as not alienating potential local allies in the south would be valuable on the long term, so he negotiated tributes when he could, while making sure to display the captured legion emblems and parading Roman prisoners to remind everyone how he beat them, threatening to do the same to anyone taking arms against him. Despite this policy of compromise, the Helvii’s oppidum is nonetheless brutally scoured for valuables, and a large part of the population captured. The Allobroges and Volcaes agreed half-heartily to lay down arms, while the local Romans are terrified into submission: Arelate yielded without a fight and paid tribute, and so do many others minor settlements. Narbo Martius is reinforced just in time by the legions from Hispania. The western Gallic army, commanded by Vercassivellaunos, attempted in vain to draw Marcus Petreius and the defenders out, before giving up and turning back, urged by his cousin to stay as mobile as possible. Vercingetorix experienced the same problem when he arrived in sight of the even more fortified city of Massillia. An ally and client-state of Rome, the former Greek colony sough the protection of the Republic in the second century BCE against raids from the Cimbrii and Helvetii and would makes a juicy target. But the Gauls lacked skills and equipment for siege warfare, the handful of Roman ballistaes seized after Alesia wouldn’t make the cut. They couldn’t wait and starve the place either: they lacked a navy to block sea access, and the Arverni leader guessed correctly that Rome was preparing a response. After a last round of foraging, “seizing anything that wasn’t firmly rooted down” as Pompeius described in a letter to the Senate, he went back to the town of Nemausus (5) to meet with Vercassivellaunos and prepare to face the Roman army who just entered Gaul.

Pompey used boats requisitioned in Massillia to cross the Rhodanos and joined with Marcus Petreius for a direct attack on the Gallic positions. He commanded 48000 men; a good half being rather experienced soldiers, either stationed in Hispania or veterans of previous campaigns, survivors from the Caesarian army led by Trebonius, the rest being green troops. He also benefits from Massillians scouts and 2000 Iberians levies. Vercingetorix did not waste time and immediately moved out of Nemausus drawing the Romans into a nearby valley. Pompey expected a rather straightforward battle against a not very subtle enemy, but like Caesar before him, he just underestimated Vercingetorix tactical abilities, and the Gauls were now more experienced and coordinated than before.

The two armies met by a cold morning, the 15 of November 52 BCE. The Romans advanced in a wedge accented on the right led by their best troops, commanded by Marcus Petreius. They would come first in contact with the enemy and break a potential massed charge and start an enveloping manoeuver once the Gallic left wing had collapsed. Pompey himself followed with the centre to assist and Gaius Trebonius commanded the left wing.

The Gallic army deployed roughly onto two main lines, alternating light and heavy infantry, clad in chainmail or even pilfered lorica hamata from the fields of Alesia. Vercingetorix commanded the left wing and concentrated here the finest Arverni and Senone veteran fighters. He deployed at one end of the valley, planning to let the Romans slog first through the muddied terrain. Just before the battle, he sent several fast chariots with the previously captured Eagle standards to taunt the legionaries. This psychological manoeuver unnerved the greener legionaries (6) and grabbed the attention of all, allowing Vercassivellaunos and the more lightly equipped and mobile right wing to progress more easily on the Roman left. But the Gauls’ best card was about to get in the game: the regiment of Belgaes volunteers led by Ambiorix and Eporedorix’ Aedui cavalry awaited hidden behind the ridge of a nearby hill. According to Plutarch, Trebonius would harshly criticized Pompey for not deploying enough scouts before the battle.

When the two armies were about to clash, Ambiorix came out and charged the Roman right flank. Pompey sent his mounted Iberian auxiliaries, but they are cut down by Eporedorix who was following behind the Belgaes. Thinking they were the vanguard of a second Gallic army coming on his flank, Pompey diverted his reserves against them. Ambiorix then broke contact and retreated to higher ground, covered by Eporedorix. Their mission, drawing Roman troops away, was done.

The Belgaes, both the Nervii and the Eburones, were adepts at sneaking very close to their enemy without him noticing until the very last moment, and then pelt him with a hail of javelins and darts. Relentless, they move swiftly, harassing an adversary on multiple sides until exhaustion. – Septimus Valerius

Marcus Petreius engaged the Arverni and soon found himself locked in a prolonged fight. Despite support from Lucterios and the second line troops, Vercassivellaunos failed to completely outflank Trebonius and the Roman left wing as planned, but the furious charge of crazed Carnutes and Pictones fighters nearly dislocated it, forcing Pompey to divert most of his centre to save them from breaking. Meanwhile, despite their valour, Vercingetorix’ warriors were unable to match Petreius’ veteran legions and started to lose ground, but with his support busy elsewhere, the Romans couldn’t press on. The rear troops had abandoned the chase of Ambiorix who had dispersed his men in the nearby hills, but were still too far, the centre was still rescuing the left; Petreius decided to stop his advance rather than risking being encircled and cut off from the rest of the army. It left Vercingetorix enough time to retreat orderly as well: the Gauls were exhausted and the Romans were disorganized but not broken; a second assault would be too hazardous.

In the end, both sides claimed victory despite the important casualties. Vercingetorix had to give up any dream of conquering southern Gaul in one swift move, but he didn’t leave without the spoil harvested, and has stopped a Roman counter-attack dead in it tracks. Pompey was unwilling to pursue the Gauls for the rest of the year, acknowledging they were a more dangerous enemy he initially thought, but he put an end to the threat in the region, his principal mission assigned by the Senate. For his supporters, he just saved every Roman living in Narbonnese Gaul, for his opponents, he lacked guts and should have pressed on, and nasty whispers about him losing his edge spread in the back rows of the Senate.

The Romans remained in Arelate for the winter under the command of Marcus Petreius, while Pompey returned to Rome discussing further action with the Senate. He has studied the possibility of a second expedition to finish what Caesar started, and made parallels with the long and difficult conquest of inner Hispania, where many Iberian and Celtiberian tribes fought to the bitter end. Celtic Gaul was larger and twice more populous: it would requires long time engagement of troops, drawing men and resources from other parts of the empire, something not wise considering that many neighbours were becoming menacing: emboldened Parthians threatening to invade Syria again, civil unrest in Egypt that could interrupt vital grain trade, agitated Dacians and Dalmatians raiding the borders… Pompey himself didn’t want to stay away from Rome, as some senators like Cato and Marcus Junius Brutus, a rising star of Roman politics, were actively trying to sap his influence and power they saw as dangerously hegemonic.

A solution was agreed upon: fortify the Rhodanos valley and the bank of the Garumna north of Narbo, and wait for the Gauls to return to their usual internal feuds. Once divided again, pro-Romans sympathies could be reactivated among some of them, making ulterior subjugation easier.

(1) Rhône river

(2) Arles

(3) Aix-en-Provence

(4) Narbonne

(5) Nîmes

(6) It was considered a very bad omen if the eagle emblem, or aquilae, of a legion was to fall into enemy hands. The previous loss of emblems to the Parthian at Carrahe was considered particularly humiliating.

Last edited:
Part IV: True Leaders Never Rest
Part IV: True Leaders Never Rest

(Gaul, 51-49 BCE)

Pardon one offence and you encourage the commission of many. – Publilius Syrus

When Vercingetorix returned home hailed “favoured by the gods”, his immense political momentum allowed him to get crowned High King of the Arverni and tributary peoples, but not without creating some jealousy, and internal factionalism was as much a threat to stability as inter-tribes feud were. In November 52, on his way to a meeting with the other leaders, Vercingetorix is ambushed by a small mob armed with daggers and clubs. He received some grievous wounds but managed to fend off his assailants long enough for help to arrive. As the mob dispersed, Vercingetorix recognized among the would-be murderers his uncle Gobannitios. Gobannitios wasn’t just at odd with the new Arverni monarch, he had lost a tremendous amount of power, revenue, and political influence in the process. The attack was clumsy and desperate, and the consequences, dire. Tracked down, Gobannitios and his co-conspirators ended up tried and sentenced either to exile or to death; the former fleeing to Britain and the latter being executed during the festivities given in Vercingetorix’ honour.

The remnant of the old regime died that day. The aristocrats filling the newly vacated places in the tribal oligarchy being mainly former brothers in arms, Vercingetorix’ position is now undisputed, but he realized there must be a better choice than simply wearing a crown he wouldn’t be able to keep for long like his father. Instead of ruling alone, he reforms the collective rule for a more accurate representation of the peoples: not one but five vergobrets will continue to administrate Arverni day to day affairs with him. Not only are they named independently, but they will have a veto power, albeit limited, regarding taxation and waging war abroad. The magistrates’ tenures were limited to one year, noncumulative with other functions, and non-transferable to family and kin (1). One of their critical responsibility would be to co-opt the High King’s successor. This, however, was only a semblance of check and balance to placate the conservative aristocracy. In practice, Vercingetorix’ political supremacy had become so absolute that no-one would seriously challenge him.

In addition, a general assembly, twice a year, would help mediate problems between tribes of the Arverni sphere of influence: border disputes, land claim, reparations, and settlement agreement. Allies, formal and informal, are invited to participate: strengthening the ties and maintaining cohesion was of utmost importance for Vercingetorix, as Rome took last time great advantage of the divisions and jealousies, and that the tide of battle turned once a relative unity was achieved.

This assembly, the Conglennos (2), sat initially outside Nemossos. Next to the direct constituents of the Arverni confederacy, several interested parties send delegations: the Carnutes and the Bituriges, who suffered greatly during the war, Veneti refugees looking for asylum, factions within the Senones interested into moving their allegiance to Vercingetorix, and trusted brothers in arms from the Pictones, Santones, Petrocorii, Lemovici, and Ruteni paying their respects. Potential trading partners showed up as well: Namnetes from Armorica, and the Vivisci from Aquitania (3). Around 500 envoys in total gathered for this first experimental session in March 51 BCE, which was not without creating a few organisational problems: benches had to be carved in the flank of a hill and keeping any form of order was a thankless task: Serra reported that a small riot over a stolen stool adjourned the meeting the afternoon of the first day. Still, the experiment was a success in several ways: the tribe leaders renewed their pledge to the coalition against the common foe and were convinced to come back for the next Conglennos. The idea echoed better among the southern peoples, who have been more exposed to Roman and Greek example of utility of collaborative institutions, while northerners were more skeptical for the moment, but those gatherings were the starting point of several notable evolutions of the Gallic society over the next century. Culturally speaking, it was the reinforcement of the emerging idea of a common identity as ‘the people living in Gaul’ surpassing the usual tribal identity.

On a personal note, Vercingetorix married that year a Senone woman named Ollovia he met during the war, just after the battle of Alesia, if the chronicles of Serra are to be believed. Appearing quiet in public, Ollovia was active in behind-the-scene diplomacy. Daughter of an old noble line said to date back to the invasion of Italy, she worked patiently over the years to weave ties between her home tribe and the Arverni. In April 50, she would give birth to twins: Edorix and Carantia.

3cd65a4e2959f7c047e640c907d7bc92.jpg

Possible site of the early Conglennos​

While the Arverni succeed in reviving their regional hegemony, the future of the original alliance with the rest of Gaul is uncertain at best. The Aeduis leadership was divided, with a still important pro-Roman party who wanting to sue for peace, and their prestige fading fast, eclipsed by the resurrected Arverni star. Consequently, several members of their own confederation were slowly drifting from them. A few years ago, their influence was still reaching along the Sequana and Liger rivers, way into Armorica. Now, the Senones and the Parisii started thinking they may be better on their own, and the Aulerci were building their own sphere of influence (4). In Belgica, Commios was busy expanding the reach of the Atrebates, clashing with the Treveri and Remi in the East, and what’s left of the Nervii in the North.

At this rate, Vercingetorix may not count as many warriors next time the Romans come knocking. He then laid down the groundwork of another idea he estimated necessary: maintaining a core of soldiers ready for war at any time, paid and equipped from the common coffers. So far, the Gallic model of warfare revolved around an elite caste of warriors coming from the aristocracy, able to afford the best horses, weapons and armours, bringing a personal retinue armed on their coin, the Ambacto, and supported by masses of lightly armed freemen. Thus, his proposal introduced the notion of professional army; where each tribal client would contribute with recruits, weapons, or both. This was a rather novel but not alien idea, met with some resistance at first before being accepted in later years as a necessity during future confrontations with the Romans.

Meanwhile, back in Rome, Pompey used his political weight to have the proconsulship of Gaul assigned to his ally and father in law Metellus Scipio. A scandalized Cato denounced the dangerous impunity of Pompey and his casual disregard for the law, but the general invoked an “exceptional situation” similar to the riot of 52 (5) and famously declared “There’s only one Pompey and he can’t be here and there”. The truth was Metellus Scipio insisted personally to obtain this command as a personal favour from Pompey. An ambitious man but a mediocre commander, he still had the initial good sense to carry out Pompey’s recommendations: securing the Rhodanos valley to prevent raiding parties going downstream and make life difficult for any serious invading force. He marched north with four legions left to him by Pompey and quartered in Vienna, the oppidum of the Allobroges people, who were still mostly pro-roman so far, in late April 51. Tempted to re-ally with Rome, the Aeduis were finally convinced that the Romans were coming to punish their defection. The Gauls mustered an initial army of 45000 commanded by Vercingetorix, Sedullos and Viridomaros to meet the invaders at Lugodunon (6). The weather was exceptionally bad, and visibility mediocre, facilitating concealed movements: the two armies attempted to surprise each other and engaged along broken and irregular lines. The issue of the battle was indecisive, until the Aedui commander Viridomaros fell in combat and his death disorganized the Gallic left flank. By the time Vercingetorix brought them back under control; his centre had broken in two and was losing coordination. The situation is untenable: he ordered a retreat before it turned to disaster.

When the rain finally ceased, a fog started rolling over the Rhodanos valley: one could barely see more than an armlength away. We defeated them, yet we couldn’t run them down: it’s like the gods wanted Vercingetorix to live another day. - Septimus Valerius

During the fight, Petreius noticed the increasing level of discipline displayed by the Gauls: led by veterans of the war against Caesar, their retreat was orderly, covered by well-placed groups of archers, and their superior cavalry managed to counter any pursuit. Four days later, Vercingetorix linked with Vercassivellaunos and Moritasgos and reinforcement from the Senones, Carnutes, Sequani, and Tricasses tribes, allowing him to retake control of Lugodunon, left under-guarded, and managed again to take by surprise the Roman forces sent to track him. Retreating South to escape encirclement, Petreius advised to wear out the Gauls, by harassing and tempting them into attacking fortified Roman positions where he could inflict them a maximum of losses. But Scipio, stubborn and impatient, preferred against better advice to immediately counter attack: he sent Trebonius toward Bibracte to intimidate the Aeduis, but Vercingetorix, knowing their loyalty was wavering, organised an efficient counter-raid with the help of Sequani cavalrymen, ambushing the Romans on their way and forced them to give up on their mission. Another Roman detachment is similarly defeated when trying to create another bridgehead north of the Rhodanos.

During the following months, both sides would poke at each other with raids and skirmishes. The Romans are well entrenched on the banks of the Rhodanos, but made little progress beyond the river, and Metellus Scipio’s multiple blunders put him at odd with both Petreius and local allies. On the Gallic side, chronic lack of supplies and coordination prevented the maintenance of a large army that could inflict a decisive defeat to the Romans. In October 51, the eyes of Rome turned elsewhere: the Parthian Empire was about to overrun Roman Syria; Antioch is besieged by Osakes, and troops courageously led by Caius Cassius Longinus held the line but failed to breach the encirclement. Pressured by the Publicani, (7) the Senate declared the situation a highest priority than Gaul, where the fortifications built were deemed sufficient to contain the threat. Gaius Antonius, younger brother of Marcus, petitioned Pompey to be allowed to lead reinforcement to Syria and redeem the family name. The latter accepted to make him his legate, sending two of his legions with him, leaving two to Metellus Scipio to defend Roman Gaul, and sending the last one back to Spain. The Parthians are finally booted out of Syria mid-Summer 50, but at a great cost for the whole region. Alone in Gaul, Metellus Scipio dreamed to reap similar glory, but since Caesar’s demise, the Senate now watched very closely any attempt to wage war abroad without authorization, and Scipio was reminded strongly he was not cleared to engage: another ‘folly’ would not be tolerated.

The next two years would see the action moving West, with a daring raid on Romans positions near Tolosa conducted by Vercassivellaunos that led to unrest within the local Tectosages and the rise of a pro-Arverni movement. After the fifth Conglennos, in February 49, an embassy is sent to Rome, “in the name of all Celtaes and Belgaes” (8) offering a truce and what was essentially a return to the status quo ante bellum. Vercingetorix gave here his first shot at international diplomacy, following the pressing desire from members of the Conglennos to normalize relationships: many tribes benefited from commerce with the Romans before the war, and wished to regain those ties. The Senate chose Marcus Junius Brutus, who had become a staunch opponent to Pompey, to conduct the negotiations: he would meet the Gauls in Vienna. On the other side, the Gallic mission is led by Teutomarix, an Arverni druid supporter of Vercingetorix, who laid down the offer: for peace, the Gauls would return all the hostages and the Aquilae emblems, in exchange of a modest ransom and the hostages Caesar sent to Rome at the beginning of the war, mainly relatives of defeated chieftains, even the British ones (9).

Teutomarix was the best man Vercingetorix could send. An educated man who had traveled in Roman territory before the war, he could speak Latin without the help of an interpreter and knew enough of their customs and institutions to navigate the meeting. He knew, for instance, that Caesar’s conquest was for his own gain, and appealed to a legalistic standpoint. Meanwhile, Brutus was happy with the offer. Pompeians supporters expected him to fail badly, but instead he brought back what Pompey the Great couldn’t: the Aquilae, at bargain price. After a somewhat animated debate, the Senate approved Brutus’ decision, considering the illegal nature of the war reminded by Cicero (10) and a large party still worried about the Parthian menace and the recent loss of influence in Asia.

159px-Portrait_Brutus_Massimo.jpg

Marcus Junius Brutus​

Scipio was sorely disappointed, commenting how the Senate “reached a new low” by treating with barbarians who, in his mind, openly defied Rome. But his poor management of the situation and inability to break through costed him his credit: initially present during the negotiation, he was quickly put aside by Brutus, in complete disregard for his proconsular rank. Brutus later trumpeted in Rome that he cowed the Gauls into stopping their aggression with his words where Scipio (and through him Pompey) have been ineffective with their swords.

The Romans ex-hostages returned to Rome quasi incognito, and if it wasn’t for their senatorial status and family wealth, they would have been scorned (11). Any hope for a political career or a new command of any significance was lost, for Rome didn’t give second chances.

(1) Those provisions already existed before, but the rules were often flouted.

(2) Meaning 'the gathering'. Credit to The Professor for finding the name. (The aerial picture is the amphitheater of Cirencester)

(3) While living in Aquitania, the Vivisci were Gauls, and not Aquitanians. They had some long forgotten common ancestry with the Bituriges.

(4) The Aulerci were already a grouping of four tribes: the Cenomani, Diablintes, Eburovices, and Branovices, the latter having been under Aeduis influence for a long time.

(5) After the murder of Clodius Pulcher by Annius Milo, Rome erupted in city-wide riots. To restore order, Pompey was temporary and exceptionally given the title of “sole consul” (as an alternative to dictatorship) for a few months, later he ended the rest of his mandate as a regular consul, along with Metellus Scipio.

(6) Local name of Lugdunum, at the time a very small settlement a bit north of OTL Lyon, oppidum of the Segusiavi.

(7) Public contractors. They managed a lot of things for the Roman State, from construction projects to supplying the legions. In the late Republic, they even collected taxes on behalf of the Senate, for a share of the total. Syria and the other wealthy eastern provinces made them rich and highly influential in politics.

(8) “In the name of the Arverni and their friends” would be a more accurate title. Neither the Aeduis or the Belgaes were consulted on this.

(9) Several British tribes had blood links with the continent through population migrations. Their involvement with the Veneti prompted Caesar’s punitive expedition in 55 BCE.

(10) The fact that his brother Quintus is among the hostages may have influenced him a bit.

(11) Rome had a long-standing tradition of “come back victorious, or don’t come back at all”. Rank and file soldiers captured in war were usually purely and simply abandoned to their fate. These men were an exception in a sense that they had powerful and rich families willing and able to pay ransom and reintegrate them in the Roman society.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.