Fun for fans of wince-inducingly wrong maps!

Thande

Donor
I actually used to own an inflatable globe myself. It certainly had issues, most notably re-using the sea colour for some countries ("Underwater Libya!!") but the borders and shape of continents were about a million times more accurate than the one I show here.

I posted this an another thread a while back, but here's a recreation of a map of the Roman Empire at its height found in a 10th grade history text, modern borders and all.

THAT IS NOT ROME.png

FDW

Banned
I posted this an another thread a while back, but here's a recreation of a map of the Roman Empire at its height found in a 10th grade history text, modern borders and all.

Where my BEFRIENDING bat? I need to go and "BEFRIEND" the people who made these maps.

While at Whitby the other day my friend, a primary school teacher, was considering getting an inflatable globe...this photo should reveal to you why I talked him out of it :eek:

(Come back, Wikipedia maps, all is forgiven!)

I had an inflatable globe that was accurate, you just have to pay attention to what you're buying.

What a world!

I like that mixed in with all the craziness is an almost perfectly-formed "United Bulgaria" as if the mapmaker was just against Macedonian independence, rather than, as is more likley, having forgotten about it.

Another one: in a video we watched in histroy, which was actually rather good, the 30s maps were correct... except that Ireland was annexed to Britain, Macedonia was independent, and the modern borders of the Kaliningrad exclave already existed. But since both Germany and the USSR had great-power highlighting, Koenigsberg was apparently an independent state! That they could have missed this was made more absurd still by a moment when a perfectly accurate phantom-border of Germany's pre-war frontiers appeared, taking in the Koenigsberg Free City, obviously.

Jumping up and down on spacehoppers on top of Swiss banks.

"Yes, I'm afraid despite our best efforts, sometimes we do suffer from bouncing Czechs..."

Reminds of a joke from Basil Brush

Do you take checks?

Sure

(A man appears)

This is Bruno, he's from Prague

Susano

Banned
What a world!
Did you make that map? Its quite cool :D
Of course, it lacks Polish Gotland ;) And I guess Albanias not fat enough and Serbia too big, but that gets into nitpicking territory already :p

"Yes, I'm afraid despite our best efforts, sometimes we do suffer from bouncing Czechs..."

:D :D :D

And now I have to kill you :p

And causing rippling shocks across Europe, that causes Berlin to shift about 35 miles west from its actual location.:D:D:D

The Czech republic probably felt very flattered by this ever-popular classic from CNN... :D ;)
And on a similar note, there's this now-or-probably-soon-to-be classic from the ever-reliable Fox News. :D

fox_news_middle_east_map.jpg

So wait, where have we been fighting all this time? Although this might explain Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. :p

I'm surprised they didn't mark the Palestinean Territories as Israel. Seems to be the kind of thing Fox would do. Then again, I don't watch them to protect myself from excessive doses of crazy.

Actually... if one looks closer, there is a border between Slovenia and whatever that is in what would have been northern Italy. In other words, between Switzerland and Italy is a country with no name!:eek:

This globe must have been by a Padanian nationalist.