Full(est) House - Constitutional Apportionment Amendment

What data should be used to determine party share?

• 2020 Presidential

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 2016 & 2020 Presidential

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Whatever automatic composite DRA gives me for each state

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Introduction

As a geek with equal amounts of love for mathematics and American history, it was only a matter of time before I stumbled upon the Congressional Apportionment Amendment. To briefly summarize the CAA such that those with more of a life than I can have some understanding, it was an amendment proposed by James Madison that would define the number of seats in the House of Representatives by a certain formula.

Following this formula using 2020 Census data yields 1,723 seats in the House.

The purpose of this thread is not to ruminate on how the passage of this amendment would turn the nation on her head, how the Senate's power would balloon, and the utter havoc this massive paradigm shift would wreak on American history.

Rather, this is my interpretation on a "wow it's the House but big" scenario, but using an objective, historically plausible (only one state away from ratification!) method to determine the size of the House. I've already crunched all the numbers, so this thread will be solely devoted towards Dave's Redistricting maps made with these parameters

This is technically collaborative - while I plan to make plenty of these maps myself, I heartily welcome the prospect of outside contributions.
If you wish to map out a state, simply let me know and I'll provide you with whatever resources and assistance you may require.

Also, if this is the wrong place for such a thread, please do correct me.

State List
State - # of Districts
(Completed areas will be bolded and hyperlinked to the Dave's redistricting map.)
USA Total - 1,723
California - 206
Texas - 152
Florida - 112
New York - 105
Pennsylvania - 68
Illinois - 67
Ohio - 61
Georgia - 56
North Carolina - 54
Michigan - 53
New Jersey - 48
Virginia - 45
Washington - 40
Arizona - 37
Massachusetts - 37

Tennessee - 36
Indiana - 35
Maryland - 32
Missouri - 32
Wisconsin - 31
Colorado - 30
Minnesota - 30
South Carolina - 27
Alabama - 26
Louisiana - 24
Kentucky - 23
Oregon - 22
Oklahoma - 21
Connecticut - 19
Utah - 17
Iowa - 17
Nevada - 16
Arkansas - 16
Mississippi - 15

Kansas - 15
New Mexico - 11

Nebraska - 10
Idaho - 10
West Virginia - 9
Hawaii - 8
New Hampshire - 7
Maine - 7
Rhode Island - 6
Montana - 6
Delaware - 5
South Dakota - 5
North Dakota - 4
Alaska - 4
Vermont - 3
Wyoming - 3

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.58.13 PM.png

Wyoming: 3R-0D
The least-populous state and, unsurprisingly, one of the easiest to map out - all three districts are ironclad Republican.
Like always, I tried to make these compact, proportional, and with minimal county/city/precinct splits. If anyone wants to take a crack at improving this one, be my guest, I'm excited to see what ideas y'all may have!

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 3.03.26 PM.png

Vermont: 0R-3D
Wyoming's evil twin. Mountainous? Yep. Sparsely populated? Yep. Solidly Republican? Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 9.37.06 PM.png

South Dakota: 5R-0D
I've run out of funny quips. The prairie states just have a way of killing all humour and errant livestock. The only joke I can think to make here is "haha funny SD-5 secession movement to join Iowa."

I'll be stopping here for tonight with 6 states and 24 districts done. Running total is currently 17R-7D. If any of y'all are interested in mapping out an incomplete state, or redoing an already completed state, just let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate. Have a good night!

Looks interesting. Your apportionment is correct. I got the exact same seat distribution with my own spreadsheet. If you're interesting, I can make a Wikipedia-style election map off of the shapes of the districts.

I'm wondering - will this still end up as "literally just GOP or Democrat, with maybe 0.5% third party if they're lucky", or will third parties actually get a proper look in.

I'm wondering - will this still end up as "literally just GOP or Democrat, with maybe 0.5% third party if they're lucky", or will third parties actually get a proper look in.
This is based off DRA, iirc it’s a composite of 2016 and 2020 presidential votes, and a few congressional votes to boot.
Due to America’s FPTP system, I doubt I could gerrymander a 3rd party district into existence no matter how hard I tried