From the US to the World: A Spring Football TL

Introduction
Q5xbaKD.png

Nearly 40 years ago [This thread began in October 2020], very few people believed football would ever work in the spring. But that didn't stop New Orleans antique dealer David Dixon from outlining his grand vision in the early 1980's.

After two years of preparation, Dixon formally announced the birth of the United States Football League on May 11, 1982. A month later, Dixon hired sports television pioneer Chet Simmons as the league's first commissioner.

Over the summer and fall of 1982, Dixon successfully signed the USFL to television deals with ABC and a fledgling cable channel called the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, or ESPN for short.

One important codicil that Dixon cleverly snuck into the USFL's constitution was that the league must stick with its spring schedule and abstain from competing directly with the more-powerful National Football League.

For the twelve cities that will take the field in the Spring of 1983, Dixon selected these twelve:

ATLANTIC
Boston, MA; Co-owned by George Matthews and former Patriot Randy Vataha.
New York/New Jersey; Owned by Oklahoma-based oilman J. Walter Duncan.
Philadelphia; Owned by Myles Tanenbaum.
Washington, DC; Owned by Berl Bernhard.

CENTRAL
Detroit, MI; Owned by Alfred Taubmann.
Tampa, FL; Owned by Canadian-born and former WFL Memphis Grizzlies owner John Bassett. Actor Burt Reynolds is a minority partner for the club.
Chicago, IL; Owned by Eddie Einhorn.
Birmingham, AL; Owned by Marvin Warner.

PACIFIC
San Francisco Bay Area; Owned by Sacramento-based businessman Fred Anderson.
Los Angeles, CA; Owned by Stockton-based businessman Alex G. Spanos.
Phoenix, AZ; Owned by Dr. Ted Dietrich.
Denver, CO; Owned by Ron Blanding.

Ficboy

Banned
Some teams ITTL will be different while others stay the same. For instance, here are the Arizona Wranglers:
4DDZFhN.png
I wonder how a successful USFL wil effect pop culture and especially sports. A second league in the spring might inspire other examples in baseball, basketball and hockey. What movies, TV shows, video games, comic books and animated series are going to evolve from the USFL still existing.

I wonder how a successful USFL wil effect pop culture and especially sports. A second league in the spring might inspire other examples in baseball, basketball and hockey. What movies, TV shows, video games, comic books and animated series are going to evolve from the USFL still existing.

If the USFL stays in spring, here's what could happen...
- The USFL could have more NFL guys jump to their league as a result of the '82 and '87 strikes.
- The IHL, a longtime minor league on the same level as the current AHL, could be a potential NHL rival after the WHA had folded.
- I dunno about basketball because David Stern hasn't taken over for Larry O'Brien yet.
- If the USFL sticks around long enough, you could see a USFL team hat on one of the characters from Stranger Things or the recent It movies.

Ficboy

Banned
If the USFL stays in spring, here's what could happen...
- The USFL could have more NFL guys jump to their league as a result of the '82 and '87 strikes.
- The IHL, a longtime minor league on the same level as the current AHL, could be a potential NHL rival after the WHA had folded.
- I dunno about basketball because David Stern hasn't taken over for Larry O'Brien yet.
- If the USFL sticks around long enough, you could see a USFL team hat on one of the characters from Stranger Things or the recent It movies.
Good.

The second of twelve franchises for the 1983 season:

The Tampa Bay Bandits, who will play their home games at Tampa Stadium, normally home to the NFL Buccaneers.
dhzyUNg.png

Tampa-stadium-big-sombrero-.jpg

1982 NFL Strike
@Unknown

Your wish is my command!

NFL SEASON CUT SHORT DUE TO PLAYER STRIKE

pete-rozelle-97f23596-a1be-46a6-bdfb-feac829db6b-resize-750.jpeg

Pete Rozelle
Commissioner of the National Football League

November 30, 1982

"I've said before that we owed it to the National Football League's fans to resolve the current work stoppage as quickly as we could. Now, it is becoming clearer with each passing day that the NFL owners and the players' union are much further apart than they were when the strike began. Because of the breakdown in communication between the players and owners, it is my deepest regret to announce the cancellation of the remaining games of the 1982 NFL season."​

Ficboy

Banned
@Unknown

Your wish is my command!

NFL SEASON CUT SHORT DUE TO PLAYER STRIKE

pete-rozelle-97f23596-a1be-46a6-bdfb-feac829db6b-resize-750.jpeg

Pete Rozelle
Commissioner of the National Football League

November 30, 1982

"I've said before that we owed it to the National Football League's fans to resolve the current work stoppage as quickly as we could. Now, it is becoming clearer with each passing day that the NFL owners and the players' union are much further apart than they were when the strike began. Because of the breakdown in communication between the players and owners, it is my deepest regret to announce the cancellation of the remaining games of the 1982 NFL season."​
This will boost the USFL a lot. Good luck on your timeline.

Ficboy

Banned
Since Donald Trump never owns the New York/New Jersey Generals you can bet that the USFL will never compete with the NFL and move to a fall schedule. They will be a formidable contender for years to come.

Since Donald Trump never owns the New York/New Jersey Generals you can bet that the USFL will never compete with the NFL and move to a fall schedule. They will be a formidable contender for years to come.

I wasn't really planning to include him anyways because of the rules concerning current politics.

Ficboy

Banned
I wasn't really planning to include him anyways because of the rules concerning current politics.
But he was part of the USFL and him not owning the New York-New Jersey Generals helps the organization stay afloat as the title of this timeline indicates.

The Oakland Tribune has leaked a prototype logo for the city's new USFL squad. The team is planning to compete in the Spring of '83 as the Oakland Condors.
c3l4yRr.png

For the remaining teams yet to be unveiled, here are the name ideas:

ATLANTIC
Boston

-> Breakers
-> Beacons
-> Shamrocks
-> Cannons
-> Blizzard
-> Bruisers
-> Brawlers

New Jersey
-> Generals
-> Knights

Philadelphia
-> Stars
-> Bell Ringers
-> Spirits

Washington
-> Federals
-> Regulators
-> Sentinels
-> Commandos
-> Commanders

CENTRAL
Michigan Panthers
Tampa Bay Bandits

Birmingham

-> Stallions
-> Flames
-> Forge

Chicago
-> Fire
-> Blitz
-> Crusaders
-> Shamrocks

PACIFIC
Arizona Wranglers
Oakland Condors

Denver

-> Apex
-> Gold
-> Grizzlies
-> Cougars

Los Angeles
-> Action
-> Express
-> Jaguars
-> Titans
-> Guardians
-> Breakers
-> Lasers
-> Lancers

Ficboy

Banned
For the remaining teams yet to be unveiled, here are the name ideas:

ATLANTIC
Boston

-> Breakers
-> Beacons
-> Shamrocks
-> Cannons
-> Blizzard
-> Bruisers
-> Brawlers

New Jersey
-> Generals
-> Knights

Philadelphia
-> Stars
-> Bell Ringers
-> Spirits

Washington
-> Federals
-> Regulators
-> Sentinels
-> Commandos
-> Commanders

CENTRAL
Michigan Panthers
Tampa Bay Bandits

Birmingham

-> Stallions
-> Flames
-> Forge

Chicago
-> Fire
-> Blitz
-> Crusaders
-> Shamrocks

PACIFIC
Arizona Wranglers
Oakland Condors

Denver

-> Apex
-> Gold
-> Grizzlies
-> Cougars

Los Angeles
-> Action
-> Express
-> Jaguars
-> Titans
-> Guardians
-> Breakers
-> Lasers
-> Lancers
I suggest going with Breakers, Generals, Gold, Blitz and Express they're pretty catchy nicknames for the teams themselves.