From the Ashes, the Purple Phoenix rises once more.

Origins
-What do you think of the city? - I asked

-It looks awesome! There’s so much here! That “forum” has so many statues, all of them so big! - he replied, extending his hands trying to show the size with them.

I giggled.

-It was an emperor named Constans who built this right?

-No, he was named Constantine.

-Ahhh. Was my brother named after him?

-Well, not really. We just like the name.

Not much was said until we started seeing the Theodosian walls.

-And those were built by an emperor named Theodore, like me, right?

-No, they were built by an emperor named Theodosius.
-Was there ever an emperor named Theodore? - he asked in a sad voice.

-No. But there was an empress named Theodora.

-And what did she do? - he asked, now with the sadness gone away, being replaced by the curiosity he shows to everything, except religion, he gets bored at the mention of it.

-Well, she was the wife of Justinian. -

-Justinian!! The first one?! - he said, with more excitement than even when we “inspect” the garrison.

-Yes, Justinian. - I replied, giggling - The plague made him so ill that he couldn’t reign, and, whilst he was recovering, Theodora reigned for him, managing to keep the Empire together when most people wouldn’t have been able to - Sure, I embellished the story a bit and didn’t talk about her heresy and prostitution, but the last thing I want is for him to become heretic just because of a woman.

-So you named me after a woman?

- No, again, we just liked the names

By now we were halfway up the stairs.

-Ok then, but does it mean something?

Suddenly, I started feeling weird, going in and out of consciousness. Then I fell, my vision was blurry and my ears felt like they were exploding, but through the pain, I could hear a few screams:

-DAD! DAD! WHAT’S HAPPENING?!?! NO! GET AWAY FROM ME! I WANT MY DAD! WHAT IS HAPPENING!?! SOMEONE HELP ME! HELP ME! PLEASE! PLEASE! I WANT MY DAD! SOMEONE!

I forced myself to say something:

-I love you, Theo. - my voice was weak.

-DAD?! - I could feel two hands on my chest - I love you too. Please, stay with me! Promise me?

-I do, I will be with you. I promise, Theo. - Then, black.

...Leo’s will surprised many. Firstly, the Empire was to be inherited by Constantine and that Zoe should either be the regent or choose one. Nothing surprising there, it would have happened even if he didn’t want to, what was surprising was the part dealing with Theo. He wouldn’t gain money nor land, instead, he would get a copy of all of Leo’s works, including: “Basilika'', a codification of all existing Byzantine laws along with newer ones made by Leo, “Tactica'', a military treatise which drew on earlier works such those of Aelian, Onasander and the Strategikon of Emperor Maurice, the “Kletorologion'' the longest and most important list of Byzantine offices and court precedences, and, finally, the “Book of the Prefect'' a commercial manual. This was only notified to Theo once he was 8 years old.

Only two short weeks after Leo’s death Theo would catch what is today believed to be smallpox, though sources aren’t detailed enough to reach a final conclusion. Regardless, for two months, the boy would be bedridden, from sunrise to sunset the boy suffered, suffered and suffered some more. He would often wake the entire left wing of the Great Palace, forcing every person wanting to sleep to do so on the right wing. It eventually passed and the boy recovered but its effects would be massive as it not only shook, but alt-right shattered his core beliefs, no more would Theo be the extroverted, agitated child he had once been, being replaced by the cold, cruel yet determined Theodore.

This change started right after Theodore had become nine years old, he would only leave his chamber to eat, use the bathroom, its 10th-century equivalent that is, and get new books, something which would only worsen with time, by 919, when the boy was only 11, he started to only leave to use the bathroom, eating his food in his room and having books delivered by two servants. Days would pass by without anyone but Imperial servants seeing him as he often only left in the dark of night. He would even abandon his own bedroom at 12 years old, choosing to stay in a more secluded, office-like room, sleeping in a mattress he had taken from a nearby room.

You might, rightly, be asking what he was doing? Well, he was reading, reading and reading. He probably read more in those years than most people hearing this did in their entire lives. As said before, right after his ninth birthday Theodore isolated himself from the outer world, staying only in that office-looking room, where he would study nearly all of the works he had inherited, even writing notes in every single work he studied. Furthermore, he would also start reading books from the Library of Constantinople, including all but the tenth book in “The Republic'', and books 1-45 and 108-142[1] from Titius Livius’s Ab Urbe Condita.

Again, you might be asking “why?”. Well, we don’t actually know, though we do have some things to work with. Firstly, Theodore had a significant amount of cuts in his body, including one in his right hand that went, diagonally, from just below his index finger to the other side of his hand, just above the wrist. That and grief have led a slim majority of historians to believe that he started due to grief so he could somehow honour his father, then he developed depression and to distract himself he continued reading. This hypothesis does have some criticisms that it doesn’t have a criticism, for example, how did he get a knife? And why did he distract himself with only that? But I digress.

All that we know for certain is that in May of 922, just before his 14th birthday, Zoe, his mother, forced him to be trained in combat by the new strategos of the Thracesian theme, Nikephoros Angelos, the founder of the Angelos dynasty. Whilst this was mainly done to force her son out of his room, it is here where we can see the first signs of the man we know today as Theodore ‘the Valiant’.

Next Wednesday I’ll be talking about the regency and its troubles regarding the northern border, so stay tuned.

[1] Ab Urbe Condita talked about the entire history of Rome from 753 to 9BC. Books 1 to 45 dealt with 753 all the way to the Third Macedonian War (171-168) and 108 to 142 went from Caesar’s consulship to 9BC. OOC: Actually, IOTL, book 46-120 are lost and we don't know what each talked about, so the 108-120 part is creative liberty, 121-142 talked about 42BC to 9BC though. And in this work, Livius argued that Rome had taken a moral decline and that a nation’s level of morality is connected to their successes, and I'm sure this will have no impact later on.

Hope you enjoyed this first chapter, I’d like to know your opinions on this TL, both my writing and the premise itself. I hope it wasn’t too difficult to understand what’s going on. In short, the POD is that in May of 908 Leo VI and his last wife, Zoe Karbonopsina, had a son named Theodore. ITTL we will be following Theodore and his successors. Since he now has a second son Leo's death is delayed and instead happens in November of 914, unlike OTL in which he died in May of 912
At least for now, I’m trying to make the first part of the story an anecdote of something that happened ITTL involving Theo or other major characters, and the second part is a podcast that focuses on the early Macedonians and Theo’s and his successors’ reigns.

Last edited:
Is the title directly inspired by the name of the @Basileus_Komnenos ' TL?
If it is, I'm flattered.

Hope you enjoyed this first chapter, I’d like to know your opinions on this TL, both my writing and the premise itself. I hope it wasn’t too difficult to understand what’s going on. In short, the POD is that in May of 908 Leo VI and his last wife, Zoe Karbonopsina, had a son named Theodore. ITTL we will be following Theodore and his successors. Since he now has a second son Leo's death is delayed and instead happens in November of 914, unlike OTL in which he died in May of 912
At least for now, I’m trying to make the first part of the story an anecdote of something that happened ITTL involving Theo or other major characters, and the second part is a podcast that focuses on the early Macedonians and Theo’s and his successors’ reigns.
@Plmd So a Macedonian dynasty story. It sounds quite promising as there's a lot of potential during the reign of Constantine VII.

If you're going for a novel/narrative type format you should check out The Mauricians: A Medieval Roman Novel by @Pururauka for inspiration.

Though I'm a bit confused though. Is this a type of SI fic, as the character seems to have a lot of modern attitudes towards certain subjects which seem anachronistic.

Is the title directly inspired by the name of the @Basileus_Komnenos ' TL?
If it is, I'm flattered.
Nope, it's just that Phoenixes tend to rise from ashes.

@Plmd So a Macedonian dynasty story. It sounds quite promising as there's a lot of potential during the reign of Constantine VII.
Thank you.

If you're going for a novel/narrative type format you should check out The Mauricians: A Medieval Roman Novel by @Pururauka for inspiration.
Thank you for the recommendation.

Though I'm a bit confused though. Is this a type of SI fic, as the character seems to have a lot of modern attitudes towards certain subjects which seem anachronistic.
No, it's not an SI. I do understand where you're coming from though so I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Trouble in the North
Whilst Theodore was metaphorically shouting “this is not a phase, mom” for five years straight, other things were happening in the Empire, firstly, the regency. Zoe’s regency started off badly. The two Bulgarian envoys sent to confirm the peace demanded double the normal tribute, Zoe, knowing that Simeon simply wanted to go to war, reluctantly accepted. This, as you’d expect, angered many people.

Simeon was angered since she expected her to refuse, which would give him a casus belli to attack the Byzantine so he could get proclaimed emperor. The court and the people of Constantinople saw it as a woman fucking up everything that Basil and Leo had done, and thus got extremely mad. It is important to say that a lot of the anger was due to the fact that it was a ‘she’ who was regent, and that said ‘she’ had been a mistress before becoming empress.

To make things worse, Euthymius, the Ecumenical Patriarch, died in July of 915 and due to pressure by the nobles and the people she was forced to pick Nicholas Mystikos as the replacement, the same man which had been deposed by Leo VI after he didn’t agree to his fourth marriage. Now, not even the church supported her. The only reason she wasn’t immediately deposed was due to the fact Constantine Barbaros, the parakoimōmenos [1], and Leo Phokas, the Domestic of the Schools [2], still supported her, but only because they wanted to secure the power they had whilst planning their next move.

You see, everyone knew she would be deposed, just not by who and as the court fought over it, two candidates appeared, Leo Phokas and Romanos Lekapenos, the former was the commander-in-chief of Byzantium, son of Nikephoros Phokas the Elder and brother of Bardas the Elder, whilst the latter had been the general of the Samos theme and was currently the admiral of the fleet. However, through bribery, intimidation and a few assassinations here and there, by April of 916 Leo had gained the upper hand, even if only barely, and he would use this to the fullest of extents.

He convinced Zoe to double the amount of palace guards, guards which mostly came from the army, men that, even if not loyal to Phokas himself, certainly supported him more than they did Lekapenos, but just to make they would follow his orders, he, I mean she, doubled their pay. He then convinced Zoe to throw a big party, saying that it would help convince people that she wasn’t that bad.

A few hours into the party, when everyone was already drunk, he had his guards send everyone into two different rooms, one was made up of people who either supported him or were neutral and the other was made up of those who helped Lekapenos. Suffice to say, Lekapenos didn’t have many supporters after this event[4]. Talking about him, Romanos would flee to Bulgaria shortly after hearing news of the event. Leo, however, had taken the reins of regency after Zoe stepped down, she knew Phokas would become the regent one way or another, and she chose the one which allowed her to keep her family above the shoulders whilst assuming a position of influence as the Emperor’s mother.

Leo’s regency wouldn’t be an easy one…

The soldiers push me into the ground, forcing me to knee. Thankfully, that doesn’t last long and I quickly get back up again, removing the dust from my clothes.

Simeon sighs and then asks:

- Who are you and why are in my court? You claim to be the former Roman admiral, Romanos Lekapenos, correct sir?

- Yes, I am indeed him.

Another sigh

- How did you end up in Bulgaria?

- I lost the power struggle for the regency of Constantine VII, and I escaped here. Now, I’m asking you to help me become regent - The words felt bitter. A Roman, asking a Bulgar for help. They claim they’re Christians but I wouldn’t be surprised if they still held their pagan beliefs, even if in secret.

- And what would I gain from this? - Here it comes, he’s going to demand a tribute, isn’t he?

- Well, I heard Leo, the de facto regent, wants to be remembered by his glory, and a kingdom closer to the Capital is much more threatening than one blocked by mountains.

- So if I win this hypothetical war of yours, which I doubt will occur, all I’d gain is a potentially not hostile southern border. - He wants a bigger tribute. Not that I’d offer it, that would be insane.

- Well you could gain some lands close to the sea which wou-

- Say, a bustling port? That has direct access to the Aegean? And what about the Ecumenical Patriarch?

Wait a second. He wants a different patriarch? He really wants to be independent. And Thessaloniki. I guess I could negotiate it some more, maybe a joint condominium, like Cyprus.

- Maybe we could negotiate this later?

- Sure.

“Your Excellency Zoe Karbonopsina, I have heard about your attempts to exile the most loyal man that still lives, Romanos Lekapenos. I’ve also heard that it was due to the fact that you feared he would overthrow your son. Well, fear not for Romanos is a man of god and would never try to overthrow God’s regent on earth. Therefore, may I humbly ask you to lift his exile and make him a regent? For I am sure he will make a good one.

King Simeon of Bulgaria.”

- WHY DID NO ONE INFORM ME THAT HE ESCAPED?!!? - Leo shouted

He took a chair and smashed it against a nearby pillar, breaking both.

- You should calm down. Smashing things won’t help - Zoe said.

- Well at least it makes me feel better.

- What’s happening? - Theodore asked.

Zoe ordered a servant to follow the Imperial brothers to their chambers.

- You know what? Do me a favor and at least tell the Greek and Asian themes to gather in Thessaloniki. We delay the Bulgars for as long as we can whilst trying to get the Magyars, Serbs and whoever else on our side. I’ll lead the army myself.

It was the 28th of April 917 was the date that the war started. 20 years of peace, 20 years of tension, all came crashing down, for this would be one of the last Byzantine-Bulgarian War, and probably the last important one as the one following just confirmed and expanded upon the result of this war. This war would forever change not only the Roman Empire, but everything west of the Himalayas. This was: Simeon’s war.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for taking a couple days to update, real-life got in the way of things. Hopefully I can be a bit more consistent with updates from now on. Also, a map of the situation as it is right now.
1617151999611.png

Wiki said the Bulgars controlled it, but they also said the Magyars had a part of the stake, and then there's the Pechenegs, Euratlas however doesn't state anything besides that borders were fluid and that there were a bunch of tribes. As such, I'm going out on a limb and putting Romania as one big contested area, also added Magyars and Pechenegs.

Last edited: