From Talbot to Reichsadler: Ascent of the Hohenzollerns (Paradox AAR)

Welcome. Some of you may remember my older than old After Action Reports from EU3. This time, I will be starting as far back as I can, starting with CK2 and moving my way forward, possibly as far as into HoI3. Yes, this will be a Mega-Campaign. I will periodically update as my only time available will be weekends. I may have my first update this weekend.

I'll be playing as the House of Hohenzollern, better known as the Count of Nürnberg. I will attempt to style it to 25 years per update, posting as many screenshots as possible (thank you imgur). There will also be some unique attributes to the game. I am also running 2.1.6 and all currently available DLC. No mods.

House rules:
1. No cheating. Exception: "marry_anyone" to allow for some Game of Thrones style marriages.
2. No gamey tactics.
3. No ragequits/reloads.
4. No save editing (unless needed for technical reasons.)

Goals:
1. Acquire Brandenburg. The small town of Berlin is ideal for the capital of a mighty empire.
2. Raise the Hohenzollern dynasty to prominence within the Holy Roman Empire
3. Expand into desirable territory. From the Rhine to the Dniester.
4. Deny the Imperial Crown for as long as possible.
5. Survive to 1399. For the sake of conversion.

Another, optional goal will be to maintain the most prominent houses of the Holy Roman Empire as subjects without their lines becoming extinct. Hohenstaufen being one example.

Additionally, I will be holding off raffles for board members to name my the children of the dynasty. Those who have posted will be chosen at random. The winner will receive a PM, where they will have the choice of selecting a name, one male and one female. I reserve the right to reject names that are downright outlandish. Originality is welcome, but I shall not accept names such as Apple, North, or Moonunit.

Raffle Winners:

Last edited:
Table of Contents

The Reign of Friedrich I, Count of Nurenburg and Baron of Zollern

Part One: Herzog Friedrich von Hohenzollern

Part Two: Herzog Konrad von Hohenzollern

Last edited:
Prologue: Ascension to the Throne (opening moves)

Greetings, I am Friedrich, Graf von nurenburg und Baron von Zollern. My time on this earth has been blessed. As you can see, I am not a man of immense wealth or power. I have earned my position in life, and this court.

9LmSdf0.png

My demesne is not the most grand, yet it, along with its people, will prosper. It is my tasking in life to ensure of that.

rg8ptg7.png

My greatest desire is to serve my liege as the commander of his armies. To prove my mettle at the sword will serve to greatly increase my relations with the Kaiser so that I may one day serve him in the same role.

wUNCKp5.png

My beautiful wife, Sofie, is a powerful woman in her own right. However, I sensed much reluctance to our marriage. I catch her eying me with intrigue at moments. I oft wonder what is going through her mind.

oe6Q3mS.png

My family has served the Kaiser for some time. As my father, and his father before him, all served alongside the Kaiser's armies for the most just causes. I myself have great relations with my half-brother, Berthold. He has been a good friend and confidant throughout the years. My son Konrad will one day inherit my demesne. It is his god given right. His brother Friedrich will serve at his side as well. Their sister, my beautiful daughter Elisabeth, will one day aid in strengthening our family. For now, her role is to live as her brothers, in a life of joy and civility.

nCj4YSi.png

My Council was inherited from my Father-in-law, the former Graf of Nurenburg. Though skilled, I feel as though some of these men would be better suited to different positions within the council. Others would likely better serve as members of the court.

iHLczF0.png

Only time and the will of The Lord will determine the fate of our family. Yet I will ensure that our rightful place will never be forgone.

---------------

So... This is a first. most of the games I've started have had some good traits mixed with some bad. I suspect that this will make things somewhat easier for me in terms of diplomacy. Also, the poll I made yesterday will affect only Friedrich I. All other characters will fall in line with their traits once they reach adulthood and are playable. At the time this post was made, the votes are thus:

• Lawful: 7
  • Social: 0
  • Neutral: 3
  • Rebel: 2
  • Chaotic: 5
As such, Friedrich I will be played as a generally lawful Count. He will remain fair and just to his subjects, yet stern and ambitious towards and against his enemies.

Chapter One: From the Holy Land to the Homeland

January 1st, 1192
Council of Nurenburg

---

Friedrich I entered the council with a heavy head. The stresses of having the crown thrust upon you had worn him down as of late. However, now was the time for action and change. The council stood for their liege as he took his place at the head of the bureau. The remainder of his court who were present remained standing.

"Gentlemen, please, be seated. We have much to discuss today and little time to do so."

The men of his council took their respective seats. As was custom, the Chancellor was to speak first about the matters at hand. However, as the Chancellor, Bishop Thietmar began, he was interrupted by Friedrich.

"I understand that it is tradition for the Graf von Nurenburg to listen as his council speaks to him about the matters at hand. And under normal circumstances, I would do so without hesitation. Unfortunately for us all, I must speak first at this time. Thietmar, you have served well in your role as Chancellor to the Reichsgrafen. However, this position does not appear to suit your talents as well as they would to serve as my Chaplain. After our meeting today, you will be replacing Heinrich in that role. My cousin, Friedrich will henceforth by my Chancellor. His aptitude for such dealings is far beyond that of anyone else in my court. If we, as a whole, are to be taken seriously, we need the best of the best in the positions at my side.
Heinrich, I shall grant you a suitable retirement for your service to the Reichsgrafen. Please, know that it is not personal in any way, this is for the good of the nation."

"I understand my liege. I thank you for the opportunity to serve. I shall await for my report before I take me leave." Heinrich Vorrade said. He had spent years in the court of the previous Graf in an effort to make his way into the nobility. Yet when he was offered the role of Chaplain, his heart sunk. He was never cut out for the work of the lord. And a personal disdain for the Pope hadn't helped his position either. An early retirement from the dirty work of politics to focus on his personal hobby of hunting would be well appreciated.

"Now, Thietmar, please continue."

"Of Course my liege. The Council is in agreement that the crown of Bavaria is beyond the reach of the Hohenzollerns at this time. We need to improve your standing as well as the prestige of Nurenburg if we are to ever make a serious request to the Kaiser." Thietmar paused for a moment as the members of the Hohenzollern Family listened intently to the words of the former Chancellor. "An attempt to claim the titles of any Grafschaft within Bavaria would likely be discovered. The end result would be War." Both Friedrich I and Friedrich Buchard nodded in agreement. "There is another option. The Grafschaft of Brandenburg. It is small and their Graf is a member of the Askanian family. Though powerful, they rule over a land which is under constant threat from the Danes. The Kaiser has made it well known that he is not pleased with Herzog Otto's decisions within the Herzogtum. Though my skills are lacking, one with greater prowess might be able to fabricate a claim to there."

The two cousins looked at each other without speaking. Friedrich I motioned for the remainder of the court to continue as usual.

When the meeting and adjourned. Friedrich turned to his cousin and newly appointed Chancellor. "It is your duty, for the family, to aid us in seizing Brandenburg for the realm."

Without a word, Friedrich Buchard embraced his cousin, head of the Hohenzollerns. Moments later he mounted his steed and rode north.

bGgFPNd.png

It did take some convincing of the nobility of the realm, but it wouldn't be long before the Feudal Tax Laws were changed. Nurenburg would flourish.

z2WaCjp.png

---
April 4th, 1193
Outside the Walls of Beirut
---

The levies of Nurenburg had been the first to reach the Holy Land. A little over a year ago, the Call to Arms against the infidels of the Levant had been made by Pope Celestine III.

HF9pSKV.png

Friedrich heard of this and quickly dispatched a messenger to request that Nurenburg fight alongside the crusaders. Of course, his request was accepted. It was a just cause to prevent the aggression of the Muslims and to retake Jerusalem for Christendom.

Within days of the Armies of Nurenburg marching for the front, Kaiser Heinrich von Hohenstaufen had offered the position of Chancellor to Friedrich. When your Liege offers you the position you have been striving for, you seize the opportunity.

om6BLuN.png

It wasn't all good news. But not two weeks ago, Friedrich received word that his wife Sofie had given him yet another son. That he had been campaigning in the Levant instead of witnessing Ulrich enter the world caused some heartache.

eZrRka9.png

But it was not enough to deter Friedrich from his goal to seize Beirut from the Muslim heathens. He stood poised with the levies of Nurenburg upon the castle walls of Beirut. Volunteers from Europe had seen his armies on march. Many took up arms and joined the cause themselves. Now, it was time to attack.

oUL6Emt.png

---
May 22nd, 1193
Beirut
---

Defeat... The Armies of Nurnenburg were too quick for the remainder of the Crusaders. The volunteers that had joined fled as soon as the Battle of Sidon began. Friedrich couldn't hold them off forever. Eventually, their siege was lifted. Friedrich's first defeat in battle. He would learn from it. He would not make the same mistakes twice.

cC8GNf1.png

---
30 April, 1194
Nurenburg Castle
---

The news had been grim since Friedrich had returned from the Crusades. His cousin, the most skilled diplomat within all of Nurenburg, had been slain. He had fallen victim to Typhoid while working in Brandenburg. His progress on making a claim to the throne there was lost. The new Chancellor, was not up to the task.

Though Friedrich vowed to continue his support of the Crusade, the levies of Nurenburg would not return. The entire defeat of the armies at the hands of Friedrich caused him greatly. His vassals had little confidence left in his ability to fight. Though he didn't share their concerns, Friedrich did guarantee that Nurenburg would no longer fight this war. Deliberately, he made no mention of potential future wars.

Yet the news was not all bad. After a generous donation to the Knights Teutonica, They were granted a Swedish territory to aid in the conversion of the Northern Heathens.

O06yu2k.png

A few nights ago, a strange man came up to Friedrich.

z9ZPmkf.png

He scoured the book for days. Searching. There must be something to this book. But after two weeks, Friedrich came up with nothing. The book itself was nonsense. But he had discovered within him a desire to learn. Scholarly duties became a new passion.

---
November 11th, 1195
Nurenburg
---

It had been three years since Friedrich had announced his support of the Kaiser's motion. Only now had it passed. Wars within the empire had undoubtedly slowed not just the responses, but also likely stymied support for the motions as well.

bjd1MXf.png

Whats more is that the betrothals of Konrad and Fritz had both been accepted by the liege of their future wives.

tE4gp6u.png

UHuHHQB.png

Both maidens had shown promise for the family. Both had desirable traits that were lacking from the Hohenzollern line.

Friedrich's sons weren't the only ones to whom marriage was promised.

PKOTtIY.png

It had taken some time for Friedrich to find a suitable mate for his brother. Yet Berthold trusted Friedrich to find him a suitable mate.

That mate came from a young girl named Christine. She was a brilliant young woman. Her only real flaw was her devotion to celibacy. Yet she was as beautiful as she was a skilled diplomat. Before long Friedrich himself had begun to develop feelings towards this woman.

---
10 July 1197
Nurenburg Castle
---

Pope Celestine III had failed. Friedrich had toyed with the notion that he could have turned the tide of the war. Yet reason got the better of him. He knew well that he could not stop the flood of the Muslim armies as they crashed amongst the walls of the Crusaders fighting for Jerusalem. Though it had been over a year since the Crusade had ended. Friedrich still thought about such things. What could he do to improve his fortunes in the battlefield... to prepare his men for the wars that were sure to come.

HbOmFRu.png

Meanwhile, Friedrich's fancy toward Christine hadn't been one sided. They both knew well that Berthold was infirm. He wasn't suitable to father children in his advanced age thanks to his condition.

LKaszkt.png

Though both hadn't desired it initially, Friedrich and Christine had determined that it was for the best. Though their affections for one another had grown. Friedrich had to remember that Sofie was his wife. Yet Sofie remained ignorant of the goings on. If truth were told, Friedrich thought that she had begun to lose her sanity since Berthold had passed. mere months after Christine gave birth, Berthold fell comatose and passed on in his manor. And since that day, Sofie hadn't been the same as she was. She remained holed up in her bedchambers each day. Servants continued to bring her meals. But as time went on, she ate less and less. It had been two days since she had ceased eating all together before she passed on.

WLSMytp.png

The coroner claimed that her death was natural. But Friedrich suspected that the true cause of her death was heartbreak. He couldn't pin down why that suspicion stayed with him. Maybe it was general depression. Whatever the case, Friedrich and Christine no longer needed to deny their affections for each other. Within the month, they were wed.

---------------

I had intended to make this last for longer. Yet things were progressing slowly and it had been four hours up until this point. I missed some screenshots. But I feel like I got the story straight enough to keep it going.

From this point forward, I will begin the raffle for the names of future children. I will begin playing again tomorrow, and I might have another update by the end of the day.

Some possible names for future Hohenzollerns:

Male:
Uwe
Adalbert
Ludolf
Lothar

Female:
Hildegarde
Dagmar
Kunigunde
Isolde

That isn't how the naming conventions are going to work black.

Depending on who posts, I am going to make a selection based off that post and use it.

I'd likely have much better results in the Paradox Forums, but my account there is old and forgotten. I can't remember my password or the email linked to it.

Also an update, I'll be playing after lunch. Another five years is my goal unless something happens.

Chapter Two: Christine Prodives for the Family

---
January 1st, 1200
Nurenburg Castle
---

"Its been a crazy three years"
Graf Friedrich I thought to himself. Though the death of his first wife Sofie had been tough on his children, they loved Christine as much as he. After their wedding, he felt as though he truly did love her.

Aj1W9CR.png

It wasn't to stop there. Konrad and Friedrich were growing into strong young men. Ulrich had been there along with his brothers. Elisebeth was working diligently in her studies... And there were two new additions to the family.

Zr41KZm.png

Claudia and Klaus were the first legitimate children of Graf Friedrich I and Grafin Christine. That they were twins stunned some of the nobles. Who would have thought that a lowborn courtier would provide a family suitable for their liege.

Friedrich was happy however. He had loved all of his children. Even his secret son, Berthold. Though he was a bit... depraved, when it came to his brother's intellect. He was no less loved than Konrad or Klaus. As his marriage to Christine continued, he saw her former celibacy turn into hedonism. The love between the Graf and Grafin was abundant to be sure.

Ulrich had come of age. It was time for him to learn the ways that he might best help the family to grow and prosper. With Konrad as heir, and Friedrich developing a knack for combat, it was Ulrich who would learn the ways of stewardship. One with the desired skill in stewardship was Hildegard of Geneve. Christine had been a friend of hers some years ago. She felt Hildegard would be perfect to teach Ulrich. Graf Humbert approved as well.

n4XPcaN.png

Things were looking up for Graf Friedrich. Though the Chancellorship hadn't produced any results yet on Brandenburg, he remained hopeful his work would come to fruition.

---
May 10th 1201
Nurenburg Castle
---

Friedrich and Christine had done it again.

hrpQ0ci.png

Wolfgang was born on February 24th and was has much a Hohenzollern as his brothers and sisters. He was still young. Yet cried little. Even young Friedrich had seen his new brother with open arms. And had changed as a result. He had begun to take less for himself so that his brothers and sisters could have more.

OoOyNQK.png

Meanwhile, Elisabeth had spent much time with Christine helping with the new baby. The Family von Hohenzollern was blooming with love, and strength. It seemed that little would hinder their growth. And when the local monastery had fallen into disrepair, Graf Friedrich I felt it only right to spread the joys of his family to the remainder of his realm. The request for gold was of little concern when compared to the piety in the eyes of The Lord.

J8NTm8M.png

---
December 25th 1202
Nurenburg Castle
---

Peace had befallen Nurenburg. The former Chancellor, a stand-in after the passing of his cousin Friedrich Buchard, hadn't made any progress. Instead, Graf Friedrich had made the choice to replace him. Heinrich Vorrade was a diligent man. And he was more skilled in the way of the pen than the man he had replaced. Friedrich couldn't remember the fellows name. No matter, he made little impact on things. Heinrich was given the same task as his predecessors... to aid Graf Friedrich in laying claim to Brandenburg.

However, now was a time of celebration. The last year had been joyus, and difficult.

Berthold needed a tutor... yet none seemed to desire him within their court. He was slow, unable to understand the world around him with the same finese as his brothers and sisters. Friedrich had wanted to keep his secret child within the realm. But that proved impossible. To his credit, he found a suitable tutor in Grafin Ermesinde. She was young, sure. But Berthold would learn much from her.

dopsFWJ.png

Or... would have if the worldly situation had been vastly different.

uIb1ykj.png

Caught amidst a revolt, Friedrich feared for Berthold... yet knew there was little he could do to protect his kin.

Besides, he had to turn his attentions back to his immediate family. Christine had given him yet another son.

zMJvSBS.png

Heinrich had scared the family at first. Christine had been in labor for nearly 72 hours. Friedrich and Konrad had both been by her side during the ordeal. Each trading places to rest and take care of her as best they could while the court physicians did everything they could to save Christine and Heinrich. They succeeded. And now, mother and child were as healthy as the rest of the family.

When Friedrich II had come of age, his skill with the blade proved to make him a more competent Marshal than Mathias. Yet within months of being given the position, many amongst my court felt as though he wasn't suited to the role.

wuW1GP2.png

On three separate occasions, I needed to remind my subjects that I am to make the decisions in regards to my council. And that Friedrich proved to be the best suited to the task was the only reason he had the position. It wasn't enough for some. Friedrich I had nearly ordered Otto von Oldenburg imprisoned for his insubordination. Levelheadedness won out however. But the anger within him remained.

---
October 3rd 1203
City of Erlangen
---

Friedrich and Christine had taken a short vacation into Erlangen. The year had been tough so far. War had come through their territory. Though none were harmed, the sight of the armies of Luxembourg this far east had taken many by surprise. The Kaiser had fought them hard and drove them from the territory as quickly as they arrived.

It wasn't long after that when they had received word on Berthold.

dycN4FU.png

The news that the young Grafin had been slain troubled Christine. She worried her son might be a target. When word came that he was safe, they were both relieved and frustrated. Berthold was their son. Regardless of the legality of the situation. They knew the truth and loved their son as much as the rest of their children. Yet Berthold hadn't been the most studious of pupils. Finding a replacement tutor had taken months. They soon did, much closer to home. Karl Vorrade was the best option when Berthold returned to Nurenburg. And with their son now closer to home, they would be able to protect him as they would their other children.

Yet issues within the realm continued to grow. Friedrich found himself more often plagued with solving the disputes of his subjects, approving the construction of new infrastructure or the advancement of technology within his realm. It was tiring. One night, Friedrich had turned to Christine. His love for her hadn't diminished over these last few years. In fact, he felt he loved her more and more as each day passed. He asked her what he should do in the face of this tiresome work.

"I fell in love with a man who had never shied away from the tasks fallen to him. His perseverance is but one reason why I have given as much to him as I could. If you were to falter now, I would have no choice but to leave his loving embrace. For I can not love a man who would let the world race past him."

At that moment, Friedrich had embraced his wife. He said no words. He hadn't any need to. Instead he knew that he would provide for his wife, just as she had provided for him.

FCcfRu5.png

It wouldn't be easy. "But," he thought, "it never has been."

---------------

Not much had happened in these five years. I wish more had. But it's hard to fight a war when there is no war to fight.

Anyway, Things appear to be going relatively well. Hopefully they stay this way.

Kinda... It just so happened that you are one of three people who has made a post. In addition, I wasn't expecting such a high fertility rate so there are babies everywhere. And Heinrich happened to be a stock name that came out. I remembered I needed to select a winner for the raffle and it was you. It just kinda worked out like that.

Cool idea! I wasn't aware the Hohenzollerns were already around by the 12nd century - I thought they only came into prominence later.
I suspect at some point you'd have to try to make sure that you don't win too early (i.e. that you actually make it all the way to HOI before world conquest or something). I suppose it depends on your difficulty level though :)

Chapter Three: The Askania Rivalry

---
February 15th, 1205
Outside of Oranienburg
---

"At ease men!" Graf Friedrich commanded to his men. They were within a days march from Brandenburg. The levies of Brandenburg had been waiting for the arriaval of the Nurenburg Army. The trek for the men rallied under the banner of Friedrich von Hohenzollern were weary. They had been marching throughout the winter. Friedrich himself looked back to where he and his men called home. His wife had blessed him with yet another child.

ZqUjeqP.png

And his chancellor had done excellent work in Brandenburg. The claims he had forged for Friedrich had been so intricate and flawless that his claim to the throne was nearly assured.

H7ELE3e.png

The Declaration of War against Brandenburg for the crown came within days of the news.

RysvVaf.png

However, this was back in October. It was now February. his men had been marching through the wind and snow and rain for five months. He'd already lost a small handful of men to the marshes. He knew well that he needed to plan for the attack.

"It will be alright father. The title will be yours once again. I assure you." Konrad spoke with conviction. He was a fine soldier.

"It is not the title I am worried about. It is your mother." Friedrich spoke i a hushed tone. "Your mother was a strong woman. Perhaps too strong. She wanted nothing but the best for you. As do I. Your brothers and sisters are lucky that you will soon take my place. But Christine, she is a woman unlike your mother. The love I share for her is boundless."

"We know father, Its only a matter of time before the entire county is a member of the Hohenzollern clan. I know she is with child, and I can assure you that you will witness the birth of your next child."

"That too is not my concern. My love for Christine as well as Sofie is evident in my children. No, my concern now is for these men before us. I must bring them back to their families. The title is the prize, but these men will be the cost. And of that I'm not certain I can bear. But I digress. We must plan for the events of battle."

Returning to their tent, Friedrich and Konrad had met with Bruno. Bruno was a man who had distinguished himself during the Crusade for Jerusalem with Friedrich. He was an older man, but skilled as the best.''

Friedrich looked at the numbers presented to him. "I shall lead the smaller force. With their liege along side them they shall see me fight amongst them. Their numbers are smaller. But here we can funnel the enemy in whilst you two sweep their flanks. We will fight hard, and we will not be beaten." All three men rose their steins in toast before the night befell them.

---
March 5th, 1205
Laustiz
---

The battle had been awful. Friedrich had rallied his forces and by mid morning they were ready to fight. They had marched into Oranienburg only to find the city abandoned and the enemy nowhere to be found. It was against the policy of Friedrich to pillage the village. Instead he had ordered his men to continue the march. On the other side of town however, the Brandenburg Armies waited. Their numbers small, but they entrenched. The battle commenced at mid day and it was vicious. Initially, the plan had worked. The pincer was closing on the Brandenburgers. But a small cavalry detachment had completely circumvented Friedrich's men and attacked from the rear. Most of the men under his direct command had lost. His Friend and Son had managed to pull back enough to save Friedrich's life. But the battle was lost. And few men survived...

DeyJKcK.png

For as skilled a warrior as Friedrich was, he had lost more battles to his recent memory than he had liked. "War is a young man's game. I must not be as capable as I had once been." Friedrich lamented. But it wasn't over yet. And he refused to let his name fall into the ranks of obscurity.

---
September 1st, 1205
Inside the halls of Brandenburg Castle
---

Five months later, Friedrich was sitting within the dining hall of Brandenburg Castle with his commanders. Bruno and Konrad had rallied their forces and struck from the rear while Captain John's Mercenary Army took the brunt of the next attack. Berlin fell within a week and all of Brandenburg fell soon after. The Armies of the Askanian Family had been thoroughly defeated.

1kHAoBi.png

The good news was compounded when a messenger had come to Friedrich with news of his wife.

iHjVuNw.png

"Another son. That woman is a god-send. I am truly blessed to have such a beautiful wife. My family grows ever larger and I couldn't be more proud."

However, with that same messenger came more news. Burchard von Hohenzollern, Friedrich's cousin and Spymaster, had left his court to pursue new ambitions. A new spymaster was needed.

"Konrad, tell me, who within my court has the intrigue to foil any attempts made by our enemies on our family?"

Konrad was taken back for a moment. The feast was bountiful and the entertainment... entertaining. To speak business during a time of celebration such as this was cause enough for concern. "I can think of none who would be suitable father. Why do you ask."

"Your uncle Burchard has resigned his position and chosen to serve another lord." Friedrich saw Konrad's temper flare and intervened. "Fear not. He is only doing what he must for his family. Just as we are. He is still your uncle and there is no animosity between us. We simply need a new Spymaster is all."

Konrad visibly relaxed before thinking again. "What about Christine? I know that it would be difficult while with child, but she is a skilled and intelligent woman. She may not have the necessary talent for it, but would definitely be able to learn."

Friedrich looked to his son. It wasn't often when he was so bold. "She had been speaking of such desires before the campaign. She might just make a fine Spymaster indeed. You are wiser than your years Konrad. May that stay with you." The Father and son toasted before the messenger was sent off with the letters.

HlXC0C9.png

Some hours has passed and the celebration had begun to die down when a man burst into the hall and requested audience with Friedrich. Normally, in interruption of festivities would infuriate Friedrich to no end. But he made an exception in this case. He'd had nothing but good news as of late and thought it could slide this once. "Let him speak."

"Thank you sire. I know you. I know your face, and your history. You will not remember me and I am fully aware of this. But I do know that you are a fair man. I am Ruprecht. I was once a member of the council here. I was fully aware of your intentions before the war began. My liege didn't understand that he would lose. He didn't know that the family von Hohenzollern would achieve their goals no matter the cost. I warned him after your defeat at Oranienburg that you would return stronger. He'd had me imprisoned. My wife killed, and my son sold into slavery. I am a broken man. But I am not dead yet. My lord, I humbly request that I may be welcomed into your realm and provide for you the services that I am best adapted for. I wish to aid you in the destruction of the Askanien's for what they have done to me."

Friedrich took in the man's words. "It is not about the destruction of the Askanien's. It is about the empowerment of the Hohenzollern's. It is my goal to attain the Duchy of Brandenburg. I do not wish to wipe out the family itself. Your vendetta against them is yours alone. Yet if you wish to seek asylum within my court and lend your services to me and my family in a manner we deem best fit, then you are more than welcome. Just remember, I do not take kindly to the villainy of mankind. Nor does my family."

The man was please and stood to approach Friedrich, his arm extended. At that moment, he was seized by the guards, taking him as a threat. Friedrich waved them off and shook his hand. Ruprecht had been graciously welcomed into the Hohenzollern circle.

xnIJO4B.png

---
February 25th 1206
Brandenburg Castle
---

Two months ago, Kaiser Heinrich VI had become infirm. The regency of his title fell onto Friedrich. It wasn't long, but the time served fueled his ambitions further. He had a vision. A Hohenzollern would sit upon the throne of the Empire. It was only a matter of time.

kSNDrzx.png

Today however was cause for more celebration. The Army of Brandenburg had retreated into Danish Pomerania. The Battle of Stralsund was quick and decisive for Friedrich and his men.

bcSMrtO.png

And not more than a day later, had a messenger come to Friedrich with word directly from the Askanien Duke Johann. Surrender.

BbpP4Ux.png

They had won. Brandenburg was under the jurisdiction of Graf Friedrich von Hohenzollern.

v7f9YwS.png

And to solidify his rule in the region, Friedrich made a bold move.

M6FJFl5.png

Brandenburg, Nurenburg, and Zollern were in celebration. Konrad was to be wed soon. his betrothed would be of age in a few years. Friedrich only hoped he would live long enough to see the marriage.

---
September 7th, 1206
Brandenburg Castle Halls.
---

Several months ago, rumors had spread throughout the demesne. It seemed as though a once clever group of assassins had been entirely wiped out.

EO71cA0.png

Friedrich personally cared little about that affair, but is citizens seemed to be somewhat more at ease. Of course this meant that they worked harder. and provided better yields, which was to the great benefit of everyone.

In fact, Brandenburg and Nurenburg had become somewhat wealthier under his rule. Bavaria was no longer his desire... Germany. Germany was where he would establish his dynasty. It was his goal... his ambition to become the King of Germany.

952WuXt.png

The death of Kaiser Heinrich VI had been a tough blow. However, with Friedrich having personally served alongside him for some time, he wasn't surprised when his successor had requested he return to his court as Marshal.

yCuEOFW.png

Friedrich had made a name for himself and his family. Konrad would do the same. And it would only be a matter of time before the rest of Europe knew the Hohenzollerns.

---
December 5th, 1207
Brandenburg Castle Bedchambers
---

The last year had been somewhat of a blur to Friedrich. The days seemed to pass with little variation. He did remember that his son Konrad had been wed to the Ukrainien Princess Pereyaslava. The wedding was small, but that didn't seem to matter to the bride and groom.

dHnsLDO.png

And she had also converted to Catholicism

JYk68rF.png

In addition, Elisabeth was promised to the Askanien Prince Walther. Elisabeth was older than her future husband, but the marriage would bring a great alliance between the Askanien and Hohenzollern Dynasties. And Elisabeth knew that is was in the best interests of the family. The family she loved. She was honored that it would be her role to serve the family in this manner.

H9I2jnJ.png

However, one event stood out above the others. Chancellor Heinrich Vorrade had returned from a mission in Altmark... And with it brought some excellent news...

DynsQg6.png

In a few years, He would use this to his advantage. But for now... He would rest. He was happy and waiting for a time when his life would become much simpler.

---------------

Sorry for the long delay. I've had some issues come up on my end. So this is the culmination of my last play through over a week ago. I'll play some more tomorrow and post what happens. I missed the Brandenburg Claim snapshot at some point. But alas no matter.

Chapter Four: The Kitten of the Eastern March

---
December 24th, 1208
Brandenburg Castle Banquet Hall
---

It had been a slow year. At the years beginning, Friedrich had felt it best to change the inheritance laws. Though there initially had been some heated discussion over the argument, Friedrich had made it clear that it was best for the realm and the family as a whole.

fInEx7s.png

In this way, the family's realms would be consolidated under a singular leader. One whom would have his brothers and sisters at his side. Konrad assured that he would not allow for his brothers to be forgotten once he assumed the throne.

Some months earlier however, Friedrich had awoken in horror. He had been bleeding from his hands and feet. The news spread quickly to the local Bishop who, upon hearing this, had rushed to Friedrich's side to tell him of the Blessing of the Stigmata.

cW4karr.png

Friedrich was skeptical at first, however he felt no ill come from what he was witnessing. So too he embraced the Stigmata and began to pray.

The halls were lively this year. The harvests had been well. And Friedrich's generosity had been shared with the townspeople. All of Brandenburg's citizens had been invited to his court to partake in the feast. Of course their portions were understandably smaller, as they had to feed many people. It was nevertheless a time of celebration.

Everyone was enjoying themselves immensely. The nights events had reached the apex of celebration when Heinrich Vorrade had stepped to the side of Friedrich.

"Sire, a word."

"Not now Heinrich. It is a time to celebrate! Come! Let us drink with the locals."

"I must insist my liege. This is a matter of importance and personal fortune."

At Heinrich's words, Friedrich turned to his trusted Chancellor, "Very well then, the festivities can wait." The two men turned back towards the Grand Hall. On the way they had passed Christine. Friedrich affectionately kissed his wife, "Heinrich has some news dear, I shall return soon." Christine knew that it must be something big if Friedrich would leave his banquet to speak to him. Instead of raising any concern, she simply nodded and turned back to the party herself.

The two men moved towards the Council's Room. As they walked, the conversation remained idle and personal. The matters relating to the realm could wait for a moment longer so as to avoid the ears of any passersby. Normally, the council would be gathered for a meeting such as this. The Christmas celebrations didn't allow it and so the meeting here would be informal.

"Friedrich, I have served you for the last fifteen years. In that time, I have been sent here, Altmark, and Marienburg. Each time I have brought you news of my success."

Friedrich was puzzled. He had only sent Heinrich to Marienburg not more than a month prior. And had received no word of the success in which Heinrich was known for. Friedrich was quick to understand what he meant.

"So soon?" Friedrich had said while looking upon the maps he'd commissioned of the region.

tYLHIFi.png

"Yes. And the claim is so strong that no one can deny it should you decide to press it. The heathens in the region won't subject easily. But they respect power. With the best generals at your command, and the weight of your levies, we can overwhelm them all."

"Very well then. Press the claim. After the New Year begins, we will unleash the might of the Hohenzollern Family on Prussia. I am going to return to the celebrations. Thank you for your work Heinrich."

"Of course my liege."

---
October 18th, 1209
Outside of Elbing
---

The war had begun back in March just days after Ulrich had come of age.

gT6H4CJ.png

He was an astounding steward. His skills with the purse were the best of any Hohenzollern.

Not more than two months after the levies had been raised and the invasion began, had the Pope sent an emissary with enough gold to fund the war for a year.

RC2mCEb.png

Just a month prior Friedrich had been touring a monastery in Nurenburg. The visit had initially been on matters regarding the local constable. However, the monastery had offered him a bit of wine from their newest vineyard. It was amazing.

10jAJ7Q.png

Friedrich sent word back to Brandenburg to utilize this Vineyard's wine for all banquets from this point forward. Friedrich himself however, would not indulge outside of any celebrations.

Today was one such celebration. Friedrich and his men, along with his sons Konrad and Friedrich were gathered in Elbing. The Pruthenian force that had engaged them there was handily defeated within a matter of hours the day prior. The war was going well. Marienburg was occupied. Elbing had been captured. And soon all of Prussia would belong to Friedrich, the Hohenzollerns, and to the Empire.

---
September 20th 1210
Brandenburg Council Chamber
---

"We can't just sit by and watch as the heathens amass on our borders. We need to act."

"We can't. We are bankrupt. Our men are tired and the local lords won't be willing to pay up for another war so soon."

"Enough." Friedrich spoke with disdain. His court calmed and looked on as he stood and looked out onto the Castle Gardens. "We have been in this situation before. But we have new options. Elisabeth has been married into the Askanien Family through Walther."

SY5ajNO.png

"We have allies. And we will call upon them if necessary. But for now we will wait. A retoration of the treasury is what we must focus on. In addition, Konrad has just had a son. I would have for him to have to spend that time in war instead of with his little boy."

zjBRpY4.png

"We crushed them handily. Marienburg is ours. When the time is right, we can expand further. Crushing them once and for all."

wlDASJY.png

Everyone took his words carefully. Not everyone was satisfied however. After some moments of silence, Konrad spoke up.

"Father, I appreciate the concern, But I had a thought. If I am granted the County of Marienburg, I can deal with the heathens then and there. The council can then focus on matters closer to Brandenburg."

Friedrich looked to his son with some concern. "Konrad, you know that in doing so you will be putting yourself in danger. You will not have our funds or armies to fall back on in times of danger. You must be self sufficient if this is what you wish."

"I can manage it father. As long as you have faith in my abilities, and as long as we have the Lord's blessing then there can be no doubt of our success."

Friedrich knew Konrad could succeed. But the odds weren't in his favor. He had barely survived battle when they had attacked Kulm. He had always been a lucky boy. "Alright. I will make the preparations."

mXQPn6o.png

"I won't let you down father." Konrad kneeled before leaving the council.

"Disappointment isn't my concern.. It is your safety... and that of your family that worries me most" Friedrich thought to himself before returning to his seat. Now, on to matters in Muncheburg..."

---
December 21st, 1212
Julich, Seat of the Holy Roman Emperor
---

It had been a year since the untimely death of Kaiser Heinrich 'the Holy.' In that time, Kaiser Friedrich was unfit to rule, being far too young. In a small twist of fate, Friedrich had become the Regent to the Kaiser. Rumors of "Jihad" or whatever else plagued the backward Muslim world had reached his ears.

hecE5de.png

Friedrich simply brushed it off. He couldn't be found to care for those tales when more pressing matters demanded his attention.

Poachers had been raiding the fields of local farmers. Friedrich was busy tending to the matters of the Kaiser so he instead sent Christine and Ehrenfried to investigate the matter.
If16IBj.png

It turns out, the poachers were just young men whom had been living off the land. Friedrich turned away from reason. Justice demanded that they be punished for their crimes.

QGF9n3r.png

I had never seen Christine so infuriated before. "What if that had been your son. Would you have offered the same punishment. Those boys were just trying to survive. They did not deserve that fate."

K4H8Thr.png

"I can not show mercy to those who commit crime for their benefit. To steal from a man to fed yourself is tantamount to murder."

Christine didn't reply to my words that night. Nor for the rest of the month. She went about her business and I mine... Though I still loved her, I could not stray from the path of justice.

Months after this, Berthold, the first child between Christine and I, had come of age. His time spent with the Bishops had paid off. Though he was still incapable of ruling, his skills would be of use in the future.

DPmaoVu.png

For the past few nights, Friedrich had spent his time reflecting on the events of the year. Konrad had grown and strengthened his realm. It was a good time for the Hohenzollerns. Soon everything would be even better. But for now, he returned to his studies. Imperial Law was complex, to say the least. But what was even better was that he had discovered that, as Regent, he could lower the Imperial Crown Authority.

UDw85QU.png

For a leader who wished to expand his realm, this was absolutely essential. The vote passed quickly and the measure went into effect immediately.

---
September 7th, 1213
Julich, Seat of the Holy Roman Emperor
---

While reflecting upon his life, Friedrich had come to discover something about who he was.

QTVMu2N.png

A man free from sin. As he pondered the thought he knelt at his bedside to pray. "Oh blessed Lord. Thank you for these gifts you have sent me over the years. Recently you have provided unto me the opportunity to serve my church."

crZxNxu.png

"And you have seen fit to persuade the people of the empire to retain my position as Heir Regent."

XxMNR97.png

uHyfBoe.png

"I thank you for these blessings, Oh Lord. And I ask that you continue to see my family and myself in your graces until the end of days. Amen."

Friedrich then turned back to the matters of the empire. The treasury was full. And the Empire booning. "No one would notice if I..."

pAgzSng.png

"No. I am a man of God. To pocket the treasury for my personal gain is as wicked a sin as adultery. Forgive me Lord for the thoughts of sin. May you perish the evil from my heart." And with that, Friedrich set off to pen a letter to Kaiser Friedrich II. After all, he would be 16 within a few days. And Friedrich would no longer be required as Regent.

---
June 5th, 1215
Brandenburg Castle Bed Chambers
---

For nearly two years, Friedrich had been unfit for his role.

QJaBz2Z.png

Strucken infirm at his rather advanced age wasn't uncommon. He had hoped that he might have lasted longer. But the sands of time were running out for him. and Friedrich knew it.

Looking back he couldn't have been more happy. Friedrich had since mended the relationship with his wife, Christine. He had seen his son Klaus and daughter Claudia grow up into fine young adults.

XsYQLGC.png

The stories of the Menace from the East had reached his ears. He knew now, with Konrad's great success in Prussia, that the horde wouldn't be able to defeat him.

WRhPfy5.png

And now, as he lie in bed... He found one last comfort in his rapidly depleting life.

hbsTkjd.png

The Kitten had been at his bedside for the past few days. He knew that his time remaining was short, but Christine and this little kitty had made it more bearable. "Soon..." He thought, "I shall depart from this world. To be reunited with the Lord God. My time here has been full of joy. And I will soon find that joy with the Father."

Friedrich closed his eyes to rest. His thoughts and memories still fresh on his mind.

Last edited:
Chapter Five: The Rise of the Prussian Duchy

---
December 13th 1215
Brandenburg Cemetery
---

Konrad knew this day would come. His father had seen countless wars. he'd ruled over Nurnburg for over thirty years. But he hadn't expected the old man to go out like this.

6KzlAd0.png

Konrad loved his father dearly. Though he never spoke much of it. He loved both of his mothers as well. Sofie and Christine. He'd loved all of his brothers and sisters. Now, it would be up to him to lead the family. He was the leader of the dynasty. He would need to take the reins and lead the Hohenzollern name into the future.

There was little time to grieve however. So it goes. It was the way it was. Konrad had been fighting a war in Prussia. The heathens had been raiding the country side for months. Konrad would put an end to it and claim the entire region for himself and his family.

There was discontent within this court however.

kBFAf6R.png

Konrad had personally granted the title to Humbert not more than a week earlier. He knew the man was no heretic. Bishop Emich would hear about this. And Konrad would remember this. Unlike his father, Konrad did not forgive easily. And his brutality on the battlefield was legendary.

Enemies of the Hohenzollern Family would soon learn to fear Konrad.

---
April 11th, 1216
Brandenburg Castle Courtyard
---

Konrad was furious! He had been pacing the castle courtyard for nearly an hour. His father had served loyally as Marshal to Kaiser Heinrich for years. He had even served as Regent to Kaiser Friedrich II. To receive a letter such as this was an outrage!

PKHmlhv.png

Konrad had proven time and time again that he was a master of the battlefield. "He must fear my power. He must want to keep me down." Konrad thought to himself. "Well no matter. He is not of my concern. I will keep my attentions focused in Prussia. Then I can return to the Empire itself. Perhaps even Pomerania should be my next target."

It was then that Konrad saw something behind the stables. He approached with caution, wary that it might be a wolf. Instead what he saw would horrify him.

lUeWsT5.png

Konrad pulled the boy aside and spoke with him about the virtues of kindness. He mentioned how the kindness of his father had been what had earned him his place in history as the man who brought prosperity to his realm. And a legacy that Konrad would continue.

The boy simply nodded, his brow furling as if in thought, before he ran off. He brought some cakes to the local children to enjoy. Konrad smiled and continued about his thoughts.

Even know, Kaiser Friedrich was trying to crush any possible revolt.

Pjddibv.png

Limiting the authority of his vassals would weaken Konrad directly. Making his bid to take Neumark from Poland that much harder...

---
October 15th, 1216
Brandenburg Castle Council
---

Konrad looked at his council. He knew what was happening. He'd replaced much of his earlier, inept council from Marienburg with his Father's old council. For now. He knew he would soon replace them with his family. They might not be the best, but they would always come first.

For now there were other matters. The Chaplain spoke of news from the Pope himself.

ByfNQKS.png

The heathens of Persia had been butchering themselves and it has finally come to a head. Konrad didn't care, nor did anyone else. But it was news that the Chaplain was required to share.

His Marshal, Bruno, had been giving the report on the conflict in Prussia. The resistance there had fallen completely. German units were sweeping out the last vestiges of the heathens who once ruled as German settlers began sweeping into the territory.

"Good. Soon we can turn our attention elsewhere." Konrad said. Just as he stood to adjourn the meeting, the Bishop Emich entered the chambers.

"Ah, good to see you again. Come, we have things to discuss. Gentlemen, Pereyaslava, you are free to go. I have a private matter I must speak to Emich about.

The council cleared out as Emich and Konrad moved towards his personal study.

Konrad closed the door behind them. "Are things ready?"

"Of course my lord. It is only a matter of time now."

NuVvfNb.png

"Excellent. Soon he will be gone. And we can finish off this war once and for all."

---------------

This was a shorter update because it was residual from the last playthrough/update. I'll likely update again tomorrow.

Just googled, apparently that kitty event is ludicrously rare. As in "it happens once every couple thousand in-game years" rare.
If so, you getting that - even discounting the particularly symbolic time for it - was pretty darn lucky.

Yeah. I'd looked into it as well.. And it blew my mind. And that it happened when it did just further helped my story along. I feel like this is going to be an incredibly awesome playthrough.

Anyway, we have another update coming up later today.

Chapter Six: The Forgotten Years

---
May 10th, 1995
Berlin Municipal Library
---

"Right this way madam." The librarian had directed the elderly woman and a young boy down an oft forgotten section of the library

"Thank you. Come now." Christopher's grandmother said to him as they perused through the towering shelves of books. Chris had never seen so many books in his life before.

"Oma... What is this place?" The young boy inquired.

"This is a Library. And in this particular section of the library is something very special to us."

"Is it candy!?" Christopher excitedly shouted.

With a chuckle his grandmother responded. "Sadly no. But instead, we will hear of a tale from long ago. From before even my Oma was born."

"How long ago was that?" Christopher asked puzzled.

"Well, how old are you now?"

"This many!" He said, holding up his entire hand to show he was five. Christopher knew how to count. He was bright for his age. But he enjoyed making his family smile, so his childish tendencies remained with him in spite of his intellect.

She knew this as well and played along, "Oh my! Well.. your mother is all that separates you from me. If you were to take me, and add my mother, and my Oma, and her Oma, and her Oma, and then her Oma, you'd only be half way there."

"Wow..." Christopher looked a bit puzzled He couldn't really imagine that many people he was related to. He tried the math in his head really quickly. "So that's... ten... Omas?"

"About that." She said as she was searching through the books before she found the one she wanted. "Come now, we'll find a nice, quiet spot to read." The two walked from the rows of books into a small reading nook. "This book... is ancient. Not many know of its existence. And in it lies a secret."

"What kind of secret Oma?" Christopher asked. His curiosity was peaked but knew it was something important.

"The secret of our family." She replied firmly.

"But Oma... Our family isn't special." Christopher knew what she was implying.

"On your father's side, you'd be right. But on my side, we are very special indeed. The man who wrote this book, you could say is your Opa from a long, long time ago." Christopher looked at her a bit confused before she continued. "This man, Herzog Konrad the second of Brandenburg, is your direct ancestor. Our particular branch of the family fell out of the royal line long after his passing, and long before my birth. But the relation is still there."

"So I could be a king!?" Christopher said with excitement. He'd never felt so good before in his life.

"Possibly, should the world need you in that role, I'm certain it will come to you. Now, this book... is his journal. He wrote in it Whenever something important happened. What is the date the first passage was written." She said, showing her grandson the book for himself.

"January... third... TWELVE-NINETEEN!?!?"

"Keep it down young one. And yes, Twelve-Nineteen." She continued "Now let me read to you."

---
January 3rd, 1219
Journal of Herzog Konrad II von Hohenzollern of Brandenburg
---

Klaus approached me after the council meeting today. He spoke of the Knights of Santiago and their role in fighting the infidel. I knew that he was a skilled tactician. I'd known it since we'd fought the heathens in Prussia. He mentioned that he wanted to join their righteous cause.

NIVnYvP.png

I warned him of what it would mean if he continued through with his plan, but I gave him my blessing. Who am I to stop a man from fulfilling the will of the Lord.

---
April 9th, 1219
---

Friedrich and I hadn't seen one another in some time. He had been campaigning in the Prussian Wilderness against the heathens who had started raiding the farmland again. I'm proud of him. His position as Marshal is paramount to my success as Herzog.

When he returned this evening, for the first time in nearly a year, I brought him into the dining hall and hosted a feast in his honor. When all was done however, he'd requested that we speak in private.

Yurd6in.png

I understood his desires. I too had wanted my own title. But my destiny was different than that of my brother. I was slated to rule when our father passed. I need Friedrich here, as my Marshal. When I told him, he was visibly upset. But he understood. And he knew that I would never turn my back on my family. His role, as well as those of Heinrich, Ulrich, and Wolfgang were permanent as long as their loyalty remained. Friedrich confirmed that his loyalty was unwavering. And wished to know where he was needed next. I simply informed him that he should begin training our soldiers here in Brandenburg. When I informed him that he would be able to spend time with his wife as well, He smiled and went off to his bed chambers.

---
May 24th 1219
---

Today was a wonderful day. Pereyaslava has given me another son. Peter is as healthy as can be. I couldn't be more happy. My wife and my Family are wonderful.

WwjLPAj.png

---
September 24th, 1219
---

Heinrich has been learning well. I have noticed that he eats less than others his age. I asked him way and he mentioned that it would be wrong to consume more than most could ever have access too.

P7HXMAh.png

His temperance is admirable. The lad is learning well.

---
July 5th, 1220
---

While discussing how best to improve our armies in the event of an invasion, Friedrich suddenly stood. The council stopped as he began laying out his plans. He made note that better weapons and armor would be needed. I understood his plans for the most part. But some of what he had been saying sounded odd.

EsZFwb9.png

Then again, his experience in the field trumped mine at this point. With a smile, I approved of his proposal and Friedrich left to put them into affect immediately.

---
August 8th, 1220
---

Oh joyous day! Pereyaslava and I have had yet another daughter. Ingrid is as beautiful as her mother.

82RRNsL.png

My family is growing... I must do whatever I can to protect them.

---
February 6th, 1221
---

Johann Askanien has heard the tales from my brother Klaus. He has approached me today seeking permission to join my brother. I had no qualms with his desires and gave him my blessing as well.

zvDGVmg.png

The Knights of Santiago are growing stronger. And with Johann and Klaus, they will succeed in any endeavor. I am certain of it.

---
February 28th, 1221
---

King Bogislaw of Pomerania sent a emissary today. After some discussion, it was decided that my son, Wilhelm would marry his daughter, Svetlana.

OahfJpY.png

When, of course, they were of age. Bogislaw has no heirs to the throne. Svetlana is to inherit the crown upon his passing. Which in turn grants my future grandson dominion over Pomerania, Prussia, and Brandenburg. Access to the Baltic would mean that we could further expand our trade network. It will take time, but it will be done.

---
March 7th, 1221
---

Finally! Kaiser Friedrich has finally come to his senses. An emissary arrived today with a request from the Kaiser to take a seat on his council.

4vhh53g.png

As his Marshal! Finally. I can move forward with my life. And expand upon my diplomacy skills. They aren't as... developed, as I would like.

d7IXCx8.png

Serving the Kaiser as Marshal and ruling over Brandenburg will undoubtedly be enough to further my negotiation kills.

---
April 24th, 1221
---

My younger brother Johann has finally come of age. He has been bouncing strategies off of myself and Friedrich for the past few years. He has become more skilled than the both of us.

eeFTZjV.png

I have given him command of the Brandenburg Armies. Friedrich deserves the rest. And the training he will provide can only help Johann in the event of war.

---
June 10th, 1221
---

My Brother Wolfgang has just started a family of his own.

JyfAHb4.png

Helga seems to take after her mother more than Wolfgang. I guess it can't be helped. Wolfgang has already shown unyielding devotion to his daughter. I'm impressed.

---
August 6th, 1221
---

Heinrich burst into the Council Chambers today with tears in his eyes. The briefing I was being given at the time from Ulrich was suddenly cut short through his wailing.

XqAd5JX.png

I spoke to Heinrich as if her were my son. I told him how those who would bully him were only jealous of him. And that their words couldn't really hut him if he didn't want them to. If he learned the reasoning behind their cruelty then he would grow stronger from it. I hope the lad takes my words to heart.

---
November 26th, 1221
---

Another blessing has been bestowed upon me and Pereyaslava. Another daughter. Katharina was welcomed into this world by her entire family. Brothers and sisters all waiting to meet her upon her arrival.

ISCf0bt.png

I feel as though this is what my Father had intended with his children. The love I feel for everyone grows ever larger each day. I wonder if I can truly protect them all. Especially now... I haven't been feeling well for the past few days.

8Dc3XKX.png

Hopefully the feeling will pass soon.

---
February 28th, 1222
---

Lord please end my suffering! I have been getting worse and worse throughout the winter. This can't be the end.

eOcOATv.png

I still have too much on this planet that I need to accomplish before I perish. I can not be finished yet.

---
March 6th, 1222
---

The lord has heard my prayers and seen fit to answer. I am healed.

TQKflZu.png

Truly a miracle. I am back to perfect health and will soon be able to resume my role as a leader for my people.

---
July 3rd, 1222
---

Several Months ago, I thought it would be a great idea to host a summer festival.

B58PSit.png

Initially it was a great success. But then the Mummers arrived.

Tqxg63V.png

Mayor Hartmann voiced his concern. But when I mentioned the revenue he would gain, he pondered for a moment before leaving.

XihyO1M.png

And soon too did the festival end. It was a remarkable success considering the commotion it caused amongst the peasants.

---
May 10th, 1995
Berlin Municipal Library
---

"This book is full of stories little one. Some of the ones you can read further on will stir your imagination."

"But Oma, what happens next? Does Konrad save his family?"

"Well Chris.. you'll have to read that for yourself. But not today. We need to go. Your mother will be upset if we aren't home in time for dinner."

"Oh Boy! I hope she makes bratwurst tonight!"

Chapter Seven: The Hunt and the Feast

---
March 25th, 1224
The Binging Barnacle Tavern, Artois
---

Konrad had been in Artois for a few days. The battles had taken their toll and as such, he had ordered to give his men a reprieve. A few days ago however, he'd heard of two local families that had been feuding since time immemorial. Wanting to become a better diplomat, he arranged a meeting.

oszUrpT.png

The feud was over! Konrad was impressed that he'd been able to sway the minds of the families as easily as he had. He'd learned that diplomacy was a matter of knowing the audience. And with that he returned the the battlefield.

---
October 14th, 1226
Brandenburg Castle, Council Chambers
---

"War! At Last!" Konrad shouted elatedly as he returned to the Council hall for the first time in months. His wife was still in Rome on her mission, But his brothers had all gathered for his return.

"What do you mean?" Friedrich asked. Surely he'd know of war before his brother.

"I had run into the messenger on my way in. As of today, the Pope has issued a Crusade for Anatolia."

BXmETzZ.png

The brothers all looked at one another. This was the opportunity that they all needed.

"I understand your elation Konrad, But what of our designs on Pomerania?" Heinrich turned back to the ledgers upon his desk. "If we don't press the claim soon then we might lose Rana for good."

SeiuqXh.png

"I know Heinrich. However, it might be necessary to let it pass for now. Bringing the Hohenzollern name to the world must be our first priority. When our armies move to fight the Muslims, we can then use the prestige our family carries to bring all of Pomerania into our midst."

"You seem to have learned much in your travels." Wolfgang quipped.

"Indeed I have. I truly wish I'd had my brothers with me at all times. I trust your opinions more than you know. But as the Marshal to the Emperor, duty comes first."

2blHKNC.png

"And, I was incredibly pleased to hear your report on the conversion of Galindia. You have done well Wolfgang. The Word of The Lord should be known to all men." Konrad said with a single pat on his brothers shoulder.

JOVliVl.png

"Now, We will make the preparations for a feast. Tonight we will dine, not as politicians, but as family." Konrad spoke as his brothers agreed. They soon left to their respective duties.

---
November 7th, 1227
Artois Campaign
---

Soon after he'd prepared his armies for the Crusade, Konrad was ordered to return to the front in Artois. He wished his brothers well in the battles ahead. He knew they'd need it. While in Artois, putting down peasant revolts, He'd received news from home.

yEehTtO.png

"Excellent." He thought, "With this we can hopefully gain an edge in our future endeavors."

Nq1cVcl.png

"Perfect! If we can inherit Pomerania and Bohemia then nothing can stop the Hohenzollern Name from ever falling from the annuls of history."

RjAaXSc.png

This last piece of news was jilting. He'd heard the stories from his father about how brutal the Muslim warriors were. He hadn't expected the war to end so soon. A small joy leapt in his heart. He knew that his brothers would be spared from their brutality. He'd be able to see them all upon his return. Life was looking well.

---
May 19th, 1230
Brandenburg Gardens
---

Konrad had taken leave from his duties to return to Brandenburg for some relaxation. The past year had been busy. First, his son Wilhelm had gotten married to the Queen of Pomerania.

FnIrdvJ.png

He'd organized a Hunt while in Artois.

gp1Fnx9.png

And he'd stumbled upon a creature that would forever change his heart.

diV6RiU.png

He'd been blessed with another beautiful daughter, Anneliese.

PYTZkiC.png

And even prepared a feast for those less fortunate than he.

mAF5Fnm.png

It had been a huge boon to his likeness amongst his vassals.

2aY68vJ.png

But now he spent his time relaxing in the gardens. His children played as he read. Spending his time in the books and learning from Pereyaslava had proven useful.

hjnq9hJ.png

As he looked from his reading, he saw that Peter and Ingrid were playing chase. He smiled and closed his book. "Come along now, you two need to get some lunch."

---
August 2nd, 1231
Brandenburg Castle, Council Chambers
---

Johann approached Konrad about joining the Knights of Santiago. He wanted to join his brother Klaus. He couldn't fault him for his desire to help the Family and the Knights. Konrad felt he had no choice to to allow him serve the will of the Lord.

BRIKR3g.png

As Konrad returned to his studies, his thoughts returned to the past few months.

Allowing Eberhard to duel was foolish. But he'd survived. So there was that.

0TZVIlF.png

Pereyaslava had managed to learn more about the advances made in Rome.

zyAT6Wj.png

He looked back and thought well about it. He'd be returning to Artois to help raise arms. He had a feeling that something was brewing.. But he couldn't be sure as to what.

---------------

I had intended for this chapter to be far more in-depth. However, I was running low on time to post it and lost most of my notes about the events. As such this is much shorter than I'd liked. I'll see if I can make it better in the next one.