Freedom Party flag exists

Attached is an image I found at the Louisiana State Historical Society's webpage dealing with the Siege of Port Hudson

Flag.PNG

Thande

Donor
That's not exactly the same as the Freedom Party flag...it's a St George's cross, not a St Andrew's (though admittedly it looks like one at the angle that you see the flag) and there's a white X in the centre. I think I've seen it before as the flag of one of the Confederate Armies or regiments.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :)

Thande said:
That's not exactly the same as the Freedom Party flag...it's a St George's cross, not a St Andrew's (though admittedly it looks like one at the angle that you see the flag) and there's a white X in the centre. I think I've seen it before as the flag of one of the Confederate Armies or regiments.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :)

This is true. The flag in the picture is the Polk's Corps Battleflag, designed by Leonidas Polk in 1862 (shortly before Shiloh). Since he was an Episcopalian bishop, his flag was based on that of the Episcopalian Church (that's why it has a St. George's Cross).

However, the "Freedom Party" flag did exist during the Civil War. It was a flag flown by the army of General Richard Taylor in Louisiana in 1863 and 1864, during the Bayou Teche and Red River Campaigns. It was a square blue flag with a red St. Andrews Cross on it, on which were either twelve or thirteen white stars. In some, the crosses were edged in white, in others not. Some had a yellow border around the outside edge, others did not.

It is the official flag of the Army of the Transmississippi Department of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, today.

rtaylor.gif

Thande

Donor
Cool! Of course, Turtledove's covers show the flag without a star in the middle, but I think that's a mistake.