Freedom Dies in Darkness: The Story of the 1968 Election and Beyond

Mini Chapter 2: The Life of Vaclav Havel
Mini Chapter 2: The Life of Vaclav Havel

In the aftermath of Prague Spring, Soviet control over Czechoslovakia increased greatly. Gustav Husak had been chosen as General Secretary of the communist party and there was more a more hard line approach. The Kosygin tenure didn’t yield much difference. The threat to Kosygin’s policy proved too great and an iron fist was focused on Czechoslovakia. One person who was a victim of this was playwright Vaclav Havel. Havel was a playwright and dissident of the communist government and as such, was watched by state police and KGB. He was focused upon and made isolated to prevent the spread of his democratic ideals. Here is an excerpt from Havel’s memoirs written in prison but were unfinished at the time of Havel’s mysterious death in 1977:

On The Warsaw Pact Invasion of Czechoslovakia:

“The event was a scary and tragic thing. Many people being attacked by Soviet, German, Bulgarian, Polish, and Hungarian troops was unlawful and the lack of response from the western world disgusted me to my core. They either didn’t know or didn’t care but in any event, I was not happy with how it was handled. The handling of events boiled down to us dissidents who took it into our own hands via radio broadcasting.”

On Kosygin:

Alexei Kosygin was a noble man at first. He seemed liberal at first and actually making progress towards a more open and free Eastern Europe. However, we saw that out and out, he didn’t care about the bloc. Compared to Brezhnev who sent soldiers and tanks like Khrushchev in Hungary before him, no major incidents occurred in the bloc. It’s a shame he didn’t even try to reform the bloc. Though compared to the current General Secretary, I’d prefer Kosygin.”

The last written part:

Life in Czechoslovakia is not at all free. There is no freedom of speech, freedom to choose politicians. The police keep a watchful eye on all of us and an iron fist. The freedom to express our thoughts no matter what they are. It is a terrible place to have thoughts against the government. Democracy must come to Czechoslovakia because this iron fisted rule of tyranny can’t and won’t be tolerated. The need for freedom is now. I do believe that it is possible to bring democracy to this country.... (ends there)”

Vaclav Havel died in 1977 under mysterious circumstances with the official cause being labeled heart attack due to stress of imprisonment and the government stole his memoirs and the whereabouts were unknown for the longest time with most people accepting it to be lost and probably destroyed by the communist party.

In November 2009, the Czech government opened up a new investigation with confessions from prison guards and other witnesses. It was confirmed after the investigation concluded in February 2010, around the 33rd anniversary of his death, that Havel was murdered by gunshot wound. The government apologized for these crimes on behalf of Havel’s surviving family and honored him by posthumously allowing the release of his newly discovered, long lost memoirs in its entirety with surviving friends and family close to him filling in the gaps with what he would probably say and giving insight to some of Havel’s thoughts via added chapters. Havel is gone but he remains an icon of Czech and Slovakians everywhere and his story and memoirs were an important reminder of the dark repression of the communist era.

6a0120a69a468c970c01675ef57e56970b-pi

Vaclav Havel :
5 October 1936- 3 Febuary 1977 (Aged 40)

Last edited:
Chapter 34: Space Race Disgrace
Me: Wow I actually did the chapter early. Maybe I can post it at a reasonable time.

Also Me: Oh well won’t you look at the time.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Chapter 34: Space Race Disgrace

While Richard Nixon finally had a desperately needed propaganda win, Alexei Kosygin had quite the opposite reaction. The Soviets were embarrassed. They after all, were the first to send a man in space and a dog into space. They had been working on space for years. America was only working for 8 years at this point with many failures and setbacks. This was a setback for the Soviets and most of all Alexei Kosygin.

Kosygin was no more liked than when he first became general secretary just 6 months prior. The politburo had not respected his ideas and the idea of a Khrushchev esque coup was brewing. Andrei Gromyko was leading the push towards a coup and was gaining support from the likes of Mikhail Suslov, Dmitry Polyansky, and Nikolai Podgorny. With top politburo members in seeming mutiny. Kosygin had to find a solution to,appease the situation.

The space race took a toll on Kosygin, between the propaganda loss the possibility of a coup which he was knew would happen and the overall stress, Kosygin had to resort to grave measures to maintain his grip on power and even that wouldn’t be assured. .”- Leaders of the Soviets Episode 3: The Tragedy of Alexei Kosygin

andrei-gromyko-assiste-en-tant-que-chef-de-la-diplomatie-sovitique-la-picture-id691113206

Gromyko was instrumental in leading a coup

On August 1st, Kosygin held a meeting with Andrei Gromyko and Nikolai Podgorny. Kosygin issued an ultimatum. Providing they didn’t attempt a coup to overthrow him, a leadership troika would be formed. Kosygin would remain general secretary, Podgorny as premier, and Gromyko would keep his current job as foreign minister but have more say in the end. This seemed satisfactory enough for them as they accepted the demands seeing any power as better than none.

The whole debacle was a stressful time but unfortunately for Kosygin, being a reformer in a country of hardliners, this would probably not be the last time something like this would happen. He could just hope there would be some time between this time and the next one.

220px-Podgorny1963.jpg

Podgorny had gained further power as a result of the new troika government

Also of note would be one of Kosygin's only supporters in the Kremlin. KGB chief Yuri Andropov. Andropov was a Brezhnev appointee and closer to Brezhnev. However, he wanted to defend Kosygin on economic issues. Being that Andropov was KGB chief, he had a iron grip on politburo members and would provide a beleaguered Kosygin with protection. Because of this, Kosygin grew closer to Andropov.

With this new alliance, Kosygin was looking strong internally. But was this to be? Would it fall apart?

Kosygin had survived his first coup attempt. He also made an alliance with Yuri Andropov, KGB chief. Now, the Kosygin reforms would take full swing. Now with his economic agenda in place, what would he do next? (Commercial break)”- Leaders of the Soviets Episode 3: The Tragedy of Alexei Kosygin.

Last edited:
Chapter 35: Hay Otros También
I’m in Control
-Gentleman Biaggi

Chapter XXXV: Hay otros también

Most in the pre-<RETRACTED> party system remember the major “third parties” as the AIP and Progressives. However, the 1970 midterms brought on an onslaught of new, yet minor, parties. The first and most major, was the Libertarian party. The Libertarians were built out of an anti-Vietnam conservative sentiment. Enticed by anger built out of Nixon’s alliance with the American Independence party, Libertarian Roger MacBride ran a strong campaign against Republican Robert Stafford in Vermont’s At-Large District. Stafford notably voted for Nixon in the House following his deal with Wallace (a deeply unpopular move in Vermont). While MacBride’s campaign largely ran attacking Stafford for voting for Nixon, it had the uneasy support of many Vermont conservatives. Also, MacBride’s anti-Vietnam War politics garnered him support from anti-war activists, and after rising in the polls with his uneasy coalition of sorts, the Democratic candidate decided to support Stafford and drop out of the race (He wasn’t even at 10% so it didn’t matter). This actually hurt Stafford, as MacBride was able to run an “anti-establishment” campaign blasting Stafford for aligning with the Democrats and the Republicans with the AIP. Despite an uneasy coalition, MacBride pulled off a narrow victory.

Results of the 1970 House Election in Vermont’s At-Large District:
Roger MacBride (Libertarian): 77,078 (49.76%)
Robert Stafford (Republican): 74,987 (48.41%)
Others (Various): 2,834 (1.83%)

Meanwhile, Alaska, which was known for its independent and libertarian streak, also had a major Libertarian candidacy. However, the State’s Libertarians were largely former Alaskan Independence activists, who supported the Libertarians because they thought they would help them push for sovereignty and later Independence. The perfect example of this was Joe Volger, who as late as 1969 declared his “Hatred for the United States” decided to run as a Libertarian in Alaska’s At-Large District. However, he anticipated a fierce four-way race, with liberal Republican Frank Murkowski, Democrat Nick Begich, and American Independent former governor Wally Hickel running. Hickel had served in the Nixon White House for 3 months before quitting out of anger that his views weren’t listened to. Vogler failed to make much of a dent, as Hickel took much of the vote from him, but he did get 10% of the vote, and that would give the state Libertarians some relevance in the future.

Results of the House Election in Alaska’s At-Large district
Nick Begich (Democratic-Progressive): 38,574 (40.51%)
Walter Hickel (AIP): 24,451 (25.61%)
Frank Murkowski (Republican): 20,101 (21.11%)
Joe Vogler (Libertarian) 11,340 (21.91%)

While the Libertarians had gains in Alaska in Vermont, their candidates in other spots in the nation made an impact. Many of them took the vote from Republicans and American Independents and a few won state legislative seats. The Libertarian rise shocked some and the party would begin to impact larger elections in the future. While they weren’t the only party born out of the chaos of 1968 and 1970, they certainly were the most important.

The Next time @20thCenturyBoy lets me out of my cage- the rise of La Raza Unida...

I’m in Control
-Gentleman Biaggi

Chapter XXXV: Hay otros también

Most in the pre-<RETRACTED> party system remember the major “third parties” as the AIP and Progressives. However, the 1970 midterms brought on an onslaught of new, yet minor, parties. The first and most major, was the Libertarian party. The Libertarians were built out of an anti-Vietnam conservative sentiment. Enticed by anger built out of Nixon’s alliance with the American Independence party, Libertarian Roger MacBride ran a strong campaign against Republican Robert Stafford in Vermont’s At-Large District. Stafford notably voted for Nixon in the House following his deal with Wallace (a deeply unpopular move in Vermont). While MacBride’s campaign largely ran attacking Stafford for voting for Nixon, it had the uneasy support of many Vermont conservatives. Also, MacBride’s anti-Vietnam War politics garnered him support from anti-war activists, and after rising in the polls with his uneasy coalition of sorts, the Democratic candidate decided to support Stafford and drop out of the race (He wasn’t even at 10% so it didn’t matter). This actually hurt Stafford, as MacBride was able to run an “anti-establishment” campaign blasting Stafford for aligning with the Democrats and the Republicans with the AIP. Despite an uneasy coalition, MacBride pulled off a narrow victory.

Results of the 1970 House Election in Vermont’s At-Large District:
Roger MacBride (Libertarian): 77,078 (49.76%)
Robert Stafford (Republican): 74,987 (48.41%)
Others (Various): 2,834 (1.83%)

Meanwhile, Alaska, which was known for its independent and libertarian streak, also had a major Libertarian candidacy. However, the State’s Libertarians were largely former Alaskan Independence activists, who supported the Libertarians because they thought they would help them push for sovereignty and later Independence. The perfect example of this was Joe Volger, who as late as 1969 declared his “Hatred for the United States” decided to run as a Libertarian in Alaska’s At-Large District. However, he anticipated a fierce four-way race, with liberal Republican Frank Murkowski, Democrat Nick Begich, and American Independent former governor Wally Hickel running. Hickel had served in the Nixon White House for 3 months before quitting out of anger that his views weren’t listened to. Vogler failed to make much of a dent, as Hickel took much of the vote from him, but he did get 10% of the vote, and that would give the state Libertarians some relevance in the future.

Results of the House Election in Alaska’s At-Large district
Nick Begich (Democratic-Progressive): 38,574 (40.51%)
Walter Hickel (AIP): 24,451 (25.61%)
Frank Murkowski (Republican): 20,101 (21.11%)
Joe Vogler (Libertarian) 11,340 (21.91%)

While the Libertarians had gains in Alaska in Vermont, their candidates in other spots in the nation made an impact. Many of them took the vote from Republicans and American Independents and a few won state legislative seats. The Libertarian rise shocked some and the party would begin to impact larger elections in the future. While they weren’t the only party born out of the chaos of 1968 and 1970, they certainly were the most important.

The Next time @20thCenturyBoy lets me out of my cage- the rise of La Raza Unida...

You fool. You expect me to let you out of my cage? I mean... yeah you did a good job but still.

Hi everyone. Quick little statement. I’m sorry I haven’t been updating as of late. I really have writers block. I don’t even know where to take things since the story is going through a boring period before conflicts flare up again. So sorry again. I’ll try to post something soon but I don’t know.

Hi everyone. Quick little statement. I’m sorry I haven’t been updating as of late. I really have writers block. I don’t even know where to take things since the story is going through a boring period before conflicts flare up again. So sorry again. I’ll try to post something soon but I don’t know.

Take your time. No use in rushing through. Besides, I'm sure @Gentleman Biaggi would be willing to do another sports update as filler.

you can always just fast forward through some boring bits, providing a single update that summarizes the period we skip through.

Chapter 36: Another Year Gone
Chapter 36: Another Year Gone:

After the first 7 months, the next few months were uneventful. Nixon finally could stop hearing the complaints of Wallace and Vietnam and start to improve the country. No significant events would occur for the next 3 months. However, here are events that did happen.

Woodstock was a concert which promoted peace for 3 days from August 15th-18th. The concert successfully showed to millions of people the effect of the counterculture movement on America's youth. It remains one of music's most iconic moments and it would shape the next generation of youth's.

There was also a small recession that August. It was very mild

In September, The Beatles released Abbey Road. The album was a back to basics attempt in some ways. After the recent in fighting in the group, the album was made with few fights. However, despite it all, the album received mixed reviews. Although the album would become vindicated by history, at the time, that was the final gasp of the band. By the next album, the band had all but broken up.

"After Abbey Road, we were done. We fought too much and weren't in to it anymore. We had by that time broken up and we didn't want to do it again.That was of course until the events of XXXXXX"- John Lennon interview, 1997

original_441.jpg

The cover of Abbey Road

Also of note was a coup in Libya putting the young Col. Muammar Gadaffi in power. Gadaffi was a man who did many things throughout the cold war but he was probably best known for his actions during the XXXXX when he allowed XXXXXXXX to XXXXXX

In October, The Mets in upset fashion won the world series. There was also a rally in Washington to further praise Nixon for allowing an end to the war in Vietnam. It was a stable month like the rest.

Overall the three months proved to be a quiet stable time.

"Finally, with Wallace off the table and Vietnam becoming a non issue. I have full freedom to do what I want.

Indeed. We could work on the Civil Rights issue.

I'd love to but Wallace won't budge. Talking to him about the issue is like talking to an empty chair.

Now that's an offense to the chair there. The chair would probably do a better job imposing civil rights laws.

Sadly you're not wrong."

Conversation between Richard Nixon and Hubert Humphrey

November and December proved just as insignificant. Of note was the K-19 Soviet submarine crash which would prove helpful to lead up to the possibility of a summit. The U.S. officially returned Okinawa to Japan. Nixon did have a setback with the denial of Clement Haynsworth as justice but overall Nixon was doing alright. Nixon was gaining respect and finally seemed to have a good presidency towards him. But the first year went well after the initial setbacks. 1970 would be a year of midterms and would officially see the U.S. withdraw from Vietnam. How things would play out was yet to be seen.

It is 1970. Due to the new open minded Soviet leadership and the effect of the nuclear reduction treaty of 1968, and a stabilizing U.S. government there is some peace but the Soviets have established strengthened tie with China endangering Southeast Asia and perhaps the U.S. and NATO. As a result of these developments, The Doomsday Clock is 5 and a half minutes to midnight.

Well, at least there would be more updates. Let's hope we get to see the story get off its feet again.

Yeah, the problem is the story is very character driven (with the Kennedy, Nixon, Kosygin subplots and everything) and the last few chapters are just ebbing along. Now it's 1970. We'll see more Kennedy and Nixon will have more at stake. Hopefully things will kick off and you loyal readers will enjoy it once again. I know my recent output hasn't been great but it will get better soon.

Chapter 37: New Decade New Challenges
Chapter 37: New Decade, New Challenges:

The 1970’s had officially begun. After the tumultuous ending to the last decade, people seemed optimistic towards the new decade. They hoped that with the war in Vietnam ending soon and the bruises from Nixon healing, they could feel national pride restored.

The 1970’s. It was a new decade and there were hopes of a better decade and to leave the nightmare of the previous decade behind. Evidently, history shows it was going to be perhaps the most tumultuous era in recent times. (Laughter)”- The Age of Desolation Episode 2: The Ball Rolls Down

In 1970, two men faced grave challenges.

Richard Nixon has a terrible start for a president but was rallying back to middling approval numbers. This year would be midterms. Nixon had the task of uniting his party and country. Nixon wanted to appeal to America’s working class who he would dub “The Silent Majority”

I believed, and still hold the belief, that the silent majority would propel us forward. They are the heart and soul of America and without them, you would not get far as a politician.” - The Nixon Diaries

On the subject of midterms, one senator was very worried. This was Robert Kennedy. After the Wallace confirmation, Kennedy had trouble burnishing his liberal credentials. People saw him as costing Johnson the nomination and allowing the corrupt Nixon and Wallace into power. Kennedy seemed particularly vulnerable on all fronts.

“Kennedy seems to be the weakest democratic candidate for any position at this time. His core liberal constituents aren’t motivated and conservatives will stop at nothing to help get rid of the Kennedy dynasty”- Washington Post article about the midterms 3/22/1970

robert-f-kennedy-01f3963a38c8332e.jpg

Kennedy may have had reasonable crowds but he couldn’t quite whip as many of them into the frenzy he used to

“But Robert you shouldn’t worry, we have the money to run a good campaign.”

“But I am worried. My own base isn’t wild about me and republicans would kill for a chance to say they unseated a Kennedy boy.”

“I think it’ll all work out in the end. Between, the name, the family campaigning for you, you have some celebrities who will endorse and campaign with you. It may be tough but you may actually win.”

You better be right.”

Conversation between Robert and Ted Kenendy

The only light RFK had so far was his celebrity friend and candidate for California governor Robert Vaughn. Robert Vaughn was running for the new Progressive Party against Ronald Reagan and any Democrats. Vaughn, always with a political interest, felt now was the best time to run. He and Kennedy were close friends and endorsed each other and occasionally campaigned for each other throughout midterms. Only time would tell if either men would be successful.

225px-Robert_Vaughn_Napoleon_Solo.JPG

Once star of the Man from U.N.C.L.E, now running for California’s governorship

Nixon had his goal to win Republicans seats in the mid terms. But little did Nixon know, that someone would be working against him. Someone he would have forgotten all about.