any ideas of how we can get Abdülmecid to undertake a European tour? Since most of the connections Frankie has built up are from personal contact (excepting Pedro II of Brasil) rather than just randomly dashing off a letter to someone
I am talking about his half brother, Abdulaziz. In otl he went to Paris to participate world's exposition in 1867. Perhaps Frankie can be the founder of this event. And I expect he and Frankie will have fun talks because Abdulaziz's grandma Nakşidil Sultan. Several accounts identify his paternal grandmother with Aimée du Buc de Rivéry, a cousin of Empress Joséphine.[12]

Since this article has tag of restoration, I wonder if Frankie has plan to restore House of Afshar in Persia and Ming dynasty in China.
Nader Shah has son who exlied in Austria as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_von_Semlin . And he was godmothered by Maria Theresa. He served in Austria army for most of his life.
Upon his retirement from the military, Von Semlin caught the attention of the French government. An ambassador of Napoleon requested Von Semlin to attempt to take the throne of Iran, offering him military support. Von Semlin rejected the offer, saying "Neither me nor my children think about the Peacock Throne. Even if I have any rights to become king of Iran, I cede them to Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor, who supported me to this age."[9]
I believe perhaps Frankie can have a word with desandents of Von Semlin, using their name to gain advantage even help them retook Persia.
Ming after conquered by Qing, many chinese has resentment against Qing. Perhaps it's fun to made up a self proclaimed ming royal desentdent made his way in front of Frankie and when he does, Frankie can help him restore Ming by sending European advisors and generals so that a pro Austria in Far East against Russia is huge gain for Frankie.

I never see any non-Chinese literture mentioning restore the Ming movement, I kinda hope to see that happened

I never see any non-Chinese literture mentioning restore the Ming movement, I kinda hope to see that happened
I'll admit, I'm not overly familiar with Chinese politics (at any period), so I'll admit it could be interesting. However, ATM, I think Frankie has his hands a bit full with cleaning up Germany and managing Austria rather worrying about anything further than the Ottomans. He involved himself against Muhammed Ali because Russia and Louis Philippe was getting involved there on respective sides and he wanted Austria to have a seat at the table (and to keep everyone from dismantling the Ottoman Empire - a genuine consideration in the OTL London Convention). Plus, at the moment, Frankie isn't likely to try to involve Austria in anything abroad (not saying it'll stay that way), but, for instance, he's offering to be the middleman in the sale of Danish India to the Dutch or indirectly to the French (via the Russians), rather than attempting to grab it for Austria itself. But a bigger Austrian footprint abroad is always a fun exercise

because Russia and Louis Philippe was getting involved there on respective sides and he wanted Austria to have a seat at the table (and to keep everyone from dismantling the Ottoman Empire - a genuine consideration in the OTL London Convention)
Austria empire always has very bad geopolitics, and its multi ethnicity makes it in weak position during age of nationalism. How does he planing to deal on nationalism both in and out? eventually German will call for German unifation. And ethics within Empire will cry for more autonomous even independent. Hapsburg under Franz has to make choice between unite German nation state or remain universal imperium

I wonder if he led army attack Egypt like his dad
no. His army skills were only in Europe, and there's only one instance where he's credited with actually being responsible for a victory, even if he was present at many of them. I was imagining that while Frankie is a good tactician (this is borne out by contemporary descriptions of him), he s more the stuff of a colonel than a general (as Napoleon described Eugene de Beauharnais OTL).

Thought this was interesting:
The gift of a hospital, rather than a monastery or nunnery, as would have been the preferred manner of largesse during King Robert’s reign, reflects an obvious attempt to cope with the recurring horror of the plague. The queen’s approach to public health care, particularly as it concerned the poor, was strongly influenced by the doctrine of benevolence practiced by the Spiritual Franciscans, a tradition handed down to her by her grandmother Sancia. Under Joanna, all licenced doctors and medical practitioners were obliged to treat the poor free of charge. This enlightened approach to the general welfare was uncommon for Eu rope. In nearby Florence, for example, “only the rich could call in a physician.”
The practice of medicine in Naples under Joanna was unique in other ways as well, owing in large part to the presence within the kingdom of the University of Salerno, the oldest and most respected medical school in Europe. As early as the eleventh century, this port city was celebrated as a center of learning. “Salerno then flourished to such an extent in the art of medicine that no illness was able to settle there,” boasted its archbishop in 1075; a hundred years later, a Spanish Jew traveling through Italy described Salerno as the place “where the Christians have schools of medicine.” As a result, the medical profession flourished in Naples, and between the years 1273 and 1409 a remarkable 3,670 medical licenses were issued within the kingdom, dwarfing those in other parts of Italy. Even more novel was the number of these licenses issued to women.
Again, this anomaly can be traced to the medical school at Salerno, which in the twelfth century produced a famous text dedicated to women’s health, the Trotula. There are strong indications that at least parts of the Trotula were authored by a woman, and that a woman actually taught at the medical school during this period. But it was was highly unusual for women to be licensed. Only four women matriculated as doctors in Florence in the fourteenth century, and two of these were daughters of doctors who “could not claim to be physicians in the strict sense, lacking doctorates.” From 1100 to 1400, the kingdom of France recognized seventy-four women as some form of physician, but a large percentage of these were untrained and unlicensed. England listed only eight women in eight centuries as “healers”; the crown of Aragon recognized none. By contrast, in the fourteenth century alone, Naples conferred thirty-four medical licenses on twenty- four women. Since a test or inquiry of some sort
was involved for each medical condition, this meant that some of the women obtained expertise in multiple specialties. The license issued to a woman named Raimonda da Taverna in 1345, for example, read: “The aforesaid Raimonda . . .has been examined by our surgeons . . . and has been found competent to cure the aforesaid illnesses [‘cancers,’ wounds and fistulas]. Although it is unsuitable for women to associate with men, lest they compromise their feminine modesty and fear the blame of forbidden transgression, [nonetheless] they have a legal right to practice medicine.” Thirteen of the twenty-four women licensed as practitioners were specifically authorized to treat other women, although they were apparently not limited to standard female ailments. Some of those who matriculated were trained to perform surgery.
Historians, confronted with the anomaly of so many licensed female physicians in fourteenth-century Naples have struggled to explain the data.
Might we see Ferdinando of Naples dusting off this "law" - that doctors and medical practitioners are obliged to treat the poor free of charge? I don't know if having female medical students is possible (i.e. how much opposition there'd be to it), but I could definitely see Louise d'Artois (with her interest in nursing/medical/the poor) pushing for Naples to wind up having some of the best hospitals in Europe, no?

@isabella

@David T which of the presidential candidates: Clay, Webster, van Buren, Tyler or other was in favour of annexing Texas or the Mexican-American War of the 1840s?
The Whigs (Clay, Webster) were opposed to annexing Texas and the Mexican-American War. Then-Whig Representative Abraham Lincoln gained some national recognition with his "Spot" resolutions, calling on President Polk to identify the spot where (in Polk's words) Mexico had "shed American blood on American soil" - his point being that the skirmish had actually taken place deep in the disputed border area.

However, Clay's son served in the war with Clay's blessing.

Van Buren opposed annexing Texas, which probably cost him the 1844 nomination.

Tyler, who was not really a Whig, tried to use annexation to build up his own faction.

@David T which of the presidential candidates: Clay, Webster, van Buren, Tyler or other was in favour of annexing Texas or the Mexican-American War of the 1840s?

Tyler was detinitely pro-annexation, Webster against. Both Clay and Van Buren hedged somewhat; they weren't against annexation "in principle" but Clay at least put conditions on it that were unlikely to be met. (More or less, "I'm for annexation if it doesn't risk a war with Mexico or a sectional conflict over slavery." Good luck with that!)

Tyler was detinitely pro-annexation, Webster against. Both Clay and Van Buren hedged somewhat; they weren't against annexation "in principle" but Clay at least put conditions on it that were unlikely to be met. (More or less, "I'm for annexation if it doesn't risk a war with Mexico or a sectional conflict over slavery." Good luck with that!)
The Whigs (Clay, Webster) were opposed to annexing Texas and the Mexican-American War. Then-Whig Representative Abraham Lincoln gained some national recognition with his "Spot" resolutions, calling on President Polk to identify the spot where (in Polk's words) Mexico had "shed American blood on American soil" - his point being that the skirmish had actually taken place deep in the disputed border area.

However, Clay's son served in the war with Clay's blessing.

Van Buren opposed annexing Texas, which probably cost him the 1844 nomination.

Tyler, who was not really a Whig, tried to use annexation to build up his own faction.
How would the mostly Protestant US feel about taking over a Texas that, thanks to Frankie's maneuvering, has a lot more German, French (mostly Lorrainer) and Italian Catholics in it. I realize they didn't care much about taking land from Mexico (or the Louisiana Territory) , but there's a difference between taking (mostly) empty land and taking land that has a population (Frankie mentions that there are several Italian carbonari that fought for the Spanish crown but had no desire to stay in Spain, have also settled in Texas).

Carbonari/European ideas of liberty/republicanism are different to Washington, D. C's ideas, no? Even Tocqueville commented on this.

How would the mostly Protestant US feel about taking over a Texas that, thanks to Frankie's maneuvering, has a lot more German, French (mostly Lorrainer) and Italian Catholics in it. I realize they didn't care much about taking land from Mexico (or the Louisiana Territory) , but there's a difference between taking (mostly) empty land and taking land that has a population (Frankie mentions that there are several Italian carbonari that fought for the Spanish crown but had no desire to stay in Spain, have also settled in Texas).

Carbonari/European ideas of liberty/republicanism are different to Washington, D. C's ideas, no? Even Tocqueville commented on this.
There were a not small number of Tejanos as it was in Texas already, and a good bit of the German population in OTL was Catholic. I don't think it will be an issue.

How would the mostly Protestant US feel about taking over a Texas that, thanks to Frankie's maneuvering, has a lot more German, French (mostly Lorrainer) and Italian Catholics in it.
Texas is still basically empty ITTL. And OTL, there were no significant religious objections to the Louisiana Purchase or to statehood for Louisiana, nor to the annexation of Florida, nor to the acquisition of New Mexico and California - all predominantly Catholic areas.

Furthermore, only a few years later, there was strong agitation for the acquisition of Cuba. And AIUI, the "War Hawks" of 1812 thought the US could and should annex Canada, including Catholic-majority Quebec.

Texas is still basically empty ITTL. And OTL, there were no significant religious objections to the Louisiana Purchase or to statehood for Louisiana, nor to the annexation of Florida, nor to the acquisition of New Mexico and California - all predominantly Catholic areas.

Furthermore, only a few years later, there was strong agitation for the acquisition of Cuba. And AIUI, the "War Hawks" of 1812 thought the US could and should annex Canada, including Catholic-majority Quebec.
There were a not small number of Tejanos as it was in Texas already, and a good bit of the German population in OTL was Catholic. I don't think it will be an issue.
fair enough, just wondered if Frankie might summon the American ambassador to Austria (was there one?) if he hears about it and tell him "don't make a non-issue an issue (maybe points to a portrait of his father and Comte Leon on the wall while doing so)"

How was the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_of_Mexico_Movement going on in this timeline?

VVD0D95

Banned
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where to go/any events to cover for May 1845? I'm sort of suffering from writers' block at the moment and looking to get back in the swing of things

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā) @pompejus @Parma
Brazil? Pedro should be coming of age no? Seeing that would be fun.

france with how henri and company are settling in.

the two sicilies?