The Rumours in St. Petersburg
@King of Danes @Jürgen : hope how I wove the matter of Danish India into the talks makes sense

Soundtrack: Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E Minor - Allegro Molto Apassionato

*Exterior* *St Petersburg* *shots of the Winter Palace, the Admiralty Arch, Kazan Cathedral, and several other notable landmarks*
*Exterior* *shot of a carriage driving towards Palace Square along the Nevsky Prospekt*

*Cut to interior of the Winter Palace* *we see a suite of individuals in full French diplomatic uniform mounting the Jordan Staircase before passing along the various rooms*
*Cut to the Throne Room* *Emperor Nikolai and Empress Alexandra are seated on a dais* *flanked by the Tstsarevich Alexander and Tsetsarevna Amelise of Darmstadt on one side, and their other sons, Grand Duke Konstantin and Nikolai [1] on the other*
Chamberlain: His Excellency, the Ambassador of the Kingdoms of France and Navarre, the duc de Mortemarte.
Mortemarte: *bows to Nikolai* your Majesty, my master sends his congratulations on the birth of your newest granddaughter, and prays that she will grow daily in beauty and intelligence that your Majesty may have a further blessing to bestow upon Europe.
Nikolai: your Excellency is too kind. It is our fondest wish that our dear brother, the king of France, so lately crowned may enjoy not only good health but a long and prosperous reign...that he may see such an eventuality come to pass.
Mortemarte: it is in the spirit of friendship that his Majesty would seek drawing still nearer...through the bonds of holy matrimony between the duc de Bordeaux and a bride of your Majesty's choosing [2].
Nikolai: we are honoured that his Majesty deems our most beloved daughter [Olga Nikolaïevna] as deserving of wearing such a crown.

*Cut to behind closed doors* *Nikolai and Mortemarte are talking*
Nikolai: so let me make sure I understand this correctly...his Majesty wishes for Russia to purchase Serampore and the other places in India from my son-in-law in Denmark, and then include them in Olga's dowry?
Mortemarte: his Majesty apologizes for the subterfuge, sire, but as you are no doubt aware, the situation is such that France would be unable to afford either the purchase of these factories in India nor the war with England that would inevitably result from such a purchase.
Nikolai: but Russia could? Last year when I was in London, the queen so much as accused me of meddling in British affairs in India, or at least intending to.
Mortemarte: but England and Russia are both stable enough that such a war would not topple their monarchy. Should the king of France forfeit England's good will so early in his reign, it would mean disaster for France. England already has ties to the Orléans family and Monsieur Guizot has several allies among the leading liberal elite in London that, should France and England go to war, there is no doubt in the mind of any Frenchman that England would prefer to see a regency for the duc d'Orléans [3] than see a capable government by an adult king on the throne.
Nikolai: and if I weren't to do this? How would his Majesty respond?
Mortemarte: that is not for me to speculate, Majesty. Although the other bidders on the Indian factories - aside from the English - include the king of the Belgians [4], the king of the Netherlands and the Regent of Austria-
Nikolai: the duke of Reichstadt is interested?
Mortemarte: the talk from Austria is rather muddled. There is talk that he wishes to revive the fortunes of the Trieste Company. While according to others, he wishes to buy it from Denmark in exchange for them agreeing to withdraw Holstein from the German Confederation-
Nikolai: a money laundering business then?
Mortemarte: as we understand it in Paris, the king of Denmark is rather intrigued by the offer, since it would enable him to incorporate Holstein fully into Denmark sans the risk of objections from the Confederation.
Nikolai: *nods*
Mortemarte: the other rumour is that he wishes to compensate the king of the Netherlands with those factories - once he has purchased them from Denmark - to agree to cede the duchy of Luxembourg to the duke of Nassau, thus ensuring that no foreign rulers have any stake in Germany.
Nikolai: *after a few moments* he's a crafty one that boy.
Mortemarte: your Majesty could understand how it would be in France and Russia's best interests to...thwart his ambitions.
Nikolai: tell me of the king of the Belgians' offer. What stake does he have?
Mortemarte: after losing face in the late war, the king wishes to...regain some lost honour by expanding Belgian territory abroad. As I understand it, it would be as a privately held enterprise rather than state-backed...the Belgians have no wish for a colonial empire when money can be better spent closer to home.
Nikolai: *nods* now...what would there be to prevent me from telling what you just told me to the English ambassador?
Mortemarte: *smiles evilly* the duc de Bordeaux said your Majesty might suggest that. Then pointed out that you would have nothing to gain from telling England that. They will not think any better of you for it. In fact, they would likely see your Majesty in the same light as they viewed your Majesty's brother of blessed memory: opportunistic and untrustworthy, not to mention unreliable.
Nikolai: *purses lips* *then folds hands* Olga is to be allowed to keep her religion then. She is not to be pressured to convert.
Mortemarte: that would be quite impossible, Majesty. His Majesty the king of France has made it very clear that the marriage must have the pope's blessing- if only to avoid appearing hypocritical by not standig by their beliefs. And since the pope has already refused the dispensation for the duc de Bordeaux to marry a Protestant, a conversion is a neccessary evil. If only for form's sake. The late duc d'Orléans left many an evil taste in the mouth by marrying his heir to a Protestant and not obliging her to convert, and the duc has already broken off his desire to wed the Princess Augusta [of Cambridge] because he was unable to obtain the neccessary dispensation. To marry a grand duchess who would refuse to convert would serve only to antagonize the English.
Nikolai: would he agree to the matter being Olga's choice?
Mortemarte: her choice, sire?
Nikolai: like my sister-in-law in Berlin [5].
Mortemarte: I would have to discuss it with Paris first. And since that is likely to take time...perhaps your Majesty could sound out whether her Imperial Highness would be willing to agree to such terms?

*Cut to Olga's drawing room* *Nikolai is explaining the situation to her* *Olga is looking dreamily at a portrait of Henri*
Nikolai: but finally, Paris would require you to convert.
Olga: convert, Papa? You mean become a Catholic?
Nikolai: *nods*
Olga: *looks at the portrait* *then down at her bare ring finger* *we can see how torn she is on her face [6]* *then at her father* what do you think I should do?
Nikolai: it makes no difference to me, Ollie. Nobody's proposing to me.
Olga: *looks at him nervously* then if it is all the same to you, I should prefer to remain here...with you and Mama...rather than convert.
Nikolai: *nods understandingly [7]* then we shall leave it in God's hands

*Fade to black*

[1] to avoid a Romanov family tree that's too lush, since I gave Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich a surviving son, Aloysha, I made the executive decision to kill of Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaïevich
[2] this is the usual diplomatic mating dance. Mortemarte can't come straight out and say he wants a grand duchess to wed (no matter how eager he may be for it, Nikolai might refuse such a request as smacking of desperation).
[3] Louis Philippe's grandson
[4] Léopold I genuinely made an offer OTL according to some sources
[5] Elisabeth of Bavaria's marriage contract stipulated - not unlike Astrid of Sweden's when she wed Léopold III - that she could marry the king, and would convert, but there was no time stamp on it. Think Elise made it to the 1830s/1840s before she coverted
[6] Olga was the last of her sisters to marry OTL and in her memoirs she describes how heavily her still being single weighed on her. She also has a history of failed engagements by this point (to Stephen of Hungary, Fritz of Hesse and Max II of Bavaria), so Henri's proposal but with a conversion requirement is a Godsend and a crown of thorns at once
[7] everything I've read about Nikolai I indicates that he was a softie when it came to his daughters. His response is OTL (only difference was it was after she refused to convert to marry Archduke Albrecht of Teschen)

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā)

Merry Christmas

Oh, man. Looks like Henri will have to look for a bride elsewhere. Religion really separates people insted of bringing them together sometimes huh?

Mortemarte: the talk from Austria is rather muddled. There is talk that he wishes to revive the fortunes of the Trieste Company. While according to others, he wishes to buy it from Denmark in exchange for them agreeing to withdraw Holstein from the German Confederation-
Nikolai: a money laundering business then?
Mortemarte: as we understand it in Paris, the king of Denmark is rather intrigued by the offer, since it would enable him to incorporate Holstein fully into Denmark sans the risk of objections from the Confederation.
Very interesting, but while Denmark might be interested in withdrawing Holstein-Lauenburg from the confederation, I am quite unsure that they'd want to incorporate it into Denmark proper? They desired it with Slesvig otl, but that was because Slesvig was considered sufficiently Danish (even with a German minority), while Holstein was considered completely German. Holstein had little desire to join Denmark either afaik

Oh, man. Looks like Henri will have to look for a bride elsewhere. Religion really separates people insted of bringing them together sometimes huh?
Remember, while a Protestant to Orthodox conversion is fine, Orthodox and Catholics regard each other as a sort of "conversion equals willingly damning yourself to Hell". As a father, Nikolai (or the comte de Paris OTL) just didn't want to take the risk.
Merry Christmas! Wonder how henri will take this
I think it's less how Henri will take this and more how France will view it.
Very interesting, but while Denmark might be interested in withdrawing Holstein-Lauenburg from the confederation, I am quite unsure that they'd want to incorporate it into Denmark proper? They desired it with Slesvig otl, but that was because Slesvig was considered sufficiently Danish (even with a German minority), while Holstein was considered completely German. Holstein had little desire to join Denmark either afaik
that's true, although Frankie might wish to remove any bone of contention between Germany and Denmark (or deliberately "overshooting" Denmark's expectations - case of, leaving Denmark to deal with the problem)

Ok, With format of the Chapter's I am struggling to ynderstand the changes in the tl.
What actually happened?
Welcome aboard. The original POD is that Francis "Frankie", Duke of Reichstadt (aka Napoleon II) doesn't catch tuberculosis in 1826, and goes on to live a reasonably healthy life. After being thwarted in getting a throne in the Greek, July, Belgian Revolutions and November Uprising of 1830-1831, Frankie puts his ambition and arrogance to work by taking Henri, Comte de Chambord, under his wing (not so ASB, Napoleon I had this idea on St. Helena, of returning to France to become regent for Henri). And the Bonaparte and Bourbon heir end up as history's most unlikely friends. As a result of Frankie's influence, Henri gets a far more modern education than he did OTL. Along the way, Frankie - having army connections - manages to talk Prince Ernst and Albert of Coburg down from their "my godfather's the head of the Austrian army, I shouldn't have to train with the grunts" snobbery of OTL and ends up becoming that friend all older siblings hate to Prince Albert. Frankie manages to prevent Albert from turning into OTL's prude. And he's used his friendship with Henri to put a stop to the Cariist Wars in Spain, to marry Louise d'Artois to Ferdinando II of Naples, to get Maria II a different second husband to OTL and to topple Louis Philippe (who died in June 1844 instead of the duc d'Angouleme). Meanwhile, Frankie's outfoxed Metternich and wound up as regent for Emperor Goodinand in not only Austria, but Hungary, Lombardy and the German Confederation (although in the last, he is represented by Leopold, Grand Duke of Baden). Frankie's also made use of a war with Prussia to curb some of Prussia's Congress of Vienna gains in the Rhineland (which he distributed to Austrian allies, rather than taking them for Austria itself - part of punishing Prussia but also making the other German powers equally guilty so they "need" Austrian protection) and SIlesia (which he did take for Austria).

Think that brings us up to February 1845 (the last post).

U Dienswillige Dienaar [1]
Soundtrack: Heinrich Marschner - Kaiser Adolph von Nassau - Overture

*exterior* *The Hague* *we see a party of gentlemen, accompanied by Maximilien, Duc de Beauharnais, being shown into the Gothic Hall of Kneuterdijk Palace*
Usher: His Serene Highness, the duc de Beauharnais, and the Delegation of the Republic of Natalia, Colonel Nicolaas Esterhuizen, Commandant Johan Mocke, Mijnheer Willem de Beer, Mijnheer David Marais and Dominee Jakobus Stapelberg.
Willem II: *looks up from his meal as Maximilien bows*
*Delegates simply remove their hats* *Esterhuizen and Mocke - in military uniform - salute*
Willem II: you gentlemen have travelled a long way to be here. For that we are most grateful. May I present her Majesty, the Queen of the Netherlands. *motions to Anna Pavlovna* my son and his wife, the prince and princess of Orange, and the Princes Alexander and Hendrik. Minister van Rappard [2]you've already met.
*the delegates nod politely*
Willem II: you gentlemen have caused me a great deal of difficulty with the British regarding your agreements with Mijnheer Ohrig [3] and Captain Smellekamp [4]. As a matter of fact, the British seem convinced that you are raiding into the local villages for slaves.
Esterhuizen: lies, sir. These were children abandoned by their village, were we supposed to let them starve? What sort of Christians would we be? [5]
Willem II: be that as it may, one can understand how it would not be a good look, given the duke of Kendal's stance on slavery.
Esterhuizen: and the Markgraf Beauharnais will vouch to your Majesty that we abhor slavery as much as the English do. Why would we take these Bhaca for slaves?
Willem II: *to Beauharnais* is this true?
Beauharnais: as far as I could see, your Majesty, there was no slavery. These children were taken in by farmers, and put to work on their farms, but they were... *to Stapelberg* what is the word?
Stapelberg: vrije zwartes, Majesteit.
Beauharnais: they were taught a trade or given some form of rudimentary education - not unlike these men's own children - the labor was certainly not anything like I have seen on the American plantations or in Brasil, sire.
Willem, Prince of Orange: *looks at the men* if my father is to accept this protectorate, I will not see him be made to look a fool to the rest of the world. While slavery still continues in the rest of the Dutch Empire [6], I see no reason we should expand into areas where such barbarism is practiced instead of attending to rooting it out like a weed.
Willem II: my son is quite right. I will agree to your request to be placed under Dutch protection only inasmuch as you obey Dutch Law, and since slavery in the Netherlands has been prohibited since my father became king, that will thus count for Natal as well. I will not have the British constantly using it as an excuse to check in. I will agree to your request to be allowed to expand further inland, so long as you do not cause trouble with the British. You will enjoy the protections and privileges of other citizens of the Netherlands. The Dutch military and navy will be for your protection and defense. And I will not stop the immigration of Dutch and German citizens to Natalia. Are these terms acceptable to you gentlemen?
*delegates look at one another* *confer for a moment then nod individually*
Willem II: good. Then Minister Rappard may prepare the documents and we shall sign them together.

*cut to a few days later* *the agreement is being read out in front of the assembles Eerste and Tweede Kamers* *the Natalian delegates are smirking as they're basically getting everything they want* *the Dutch deputies, on the other hand, are looking rather concerned at essentially being stuck with the bill for what seems no benefit*
Rappard: it is also our wish that a university be established in the town called Pietermaritzburg in order to facilitate the training of locals in both matters of theology and law-
*delegates look shocked at this clause*
Rappard: this university is to be set to Dutch specifications and its students trained in Dutch law so as to enforce the laws of the kingdom of the Netherlands in the Republic of Natalia. Furthermore, a dozen schools are to be established throughout the Republic of Natalia for the education of the inhabitants' children [7].
*Dutch deputies, even ones who don't like Rappard are now looking at one another in surprise*
Rappard: it is also his Majesty's wish that the Dutch fleet will be allowed to make use of the Harbour of Annasbaai, formerly known as Durban, for both its outward bound journeys to the East Indies, as well as when returning from India or Nagasaki. Of the ships arriving in Annasbaai, at least one will be allowed to land its cargo to be sold locally, while at least one local ship will be allowed to accompany the convoy either to the Indies or to return to Amsterdam.
*Natalian delegates smile in triumph*
Rappard: his Majesty further requires that all local administrators, church ministers and magistrates be obliged to swear an oath of allegiance to the Dutch crown on risk of fine or imprisonment should they refuse-
*Dutch deputies smirk*
Rappard: it is also a further requirement that while only Natalian born citizens are to be employed in the administration of the Republic, a colonial guard is to be established under the aegis of the Dutch Army, recruited from the local citizenry. This guard's duties will include not only defense against foreign enemies but also law enforcement duties. Until such time - within seven years - that such a guard can be deemed up to standard, the Dutch Army will discharge these duties. [8]
*Natalian delegates look completely dismayed at this*

*fade to black*

[1] your willing/humble servant
[2] Anton Gerhard Alexander, Ridder van Rappard, Director of the King's Cabinet from 1841-1854
[3] George Gerhardus Ohrig, head of an Amsterdam based trading house, J. A. Cluijn en Kie, which, since 1841, had been attempting to set up a trading relationship with the Republic of Natalia.
[4] Johann Arnold Smellekamp, Ohrig's supercargo. The British convinced Willem II he was an agitator and persuaded the Dutch not accept the protectorate of the Natal Republic. Here, Frankie's "exporting" of German settlers to the region has meant that the Republic - having more men available - has given the British a bloody nose, meaning Willem is sort of "forced" to reconsider. He might not be overly sold on the idea, but he might've made it conditional on a delegate traveling to the Netherlands to discuss this,in the belief they wouldn't.
[5] the British used this excuse to justify their annexation OTL and the Natalians made the same response. Given that these were 17 children abandoned by British allied indigenous tribes, and said indigenous inhabitants had been formerly caught stealing livestock from the Natalians and raiding their crops, I think we could easily chalk it up that neither side comes out smelling of roses.
[6] I have no idea whether Willem III was pro-abolitionist or not. He might not even be pro-abolitionist here, but rather, simply looking at it through a political lens (i.e. that the slavery question will be a running sore with the British and that will not benefit either the Dutch or the Natalians)
[7] Rappard was minister of religious affairs and involved in promoting education OTL so neither of these seem as much of a leap. Especially since the first universities in OTL South Africa (with law and theology faculties) were only established in the 1860s at Stellenbosch and Potchefstroom. While this seems weird, what Rappard is actually doing is tightening the Dutch hold in Natalia at the cost of helping the locals. The Natalians likely don't have teachers/professors to staff these schools, which means that Dutchmen will have to be sent out to Natalia to do so. This ensures that the new generation of church ministers/magistrates will be Dutch trained.
[8] essentially, Rappard is forcing the Natalians to put up with a Dutch colonial army in their midst. Granted, the Natalians probably wanted access to the Dutch army IF they got attacked, now they're stuck with one. Because these Dutch officers are not likely to just "go back to Holland" in a few years. Seven years thousands of miles away from home likely means they marry and sprog off locally. So they aren't going to want to just leave. But again, binding the republic very close to the Netherlands in a way that the delegates can't refuse. Since to do that would be tantamount to Willem II saying to the British "do what you like with them".

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā) @pompejus @Parma

Last edited:
Interesting developments in the part of the Dutch
Thank you. @Parma and @pompejus, @HJ Tulp @H.Flashman(VC) and others more knowledgeable about the area can weigh in, but Dick King didn't complete his ten day ride to get reinforcements from Grahamstown (maybe eaten by a lion), so the British never manage to defeat the Natalians. Granted, they don't just go lick their wounds, but Frankie sending them settlers (what they requested from Willem II in 1841/1842) meansthat they have a "fighting chance". I could see a lot of the settlers now being soldiers from the late war actually (both Dutch and German).

Willem II is thus forced to accept that while he might not want this, the Natalians aren't going to let up. The English and French (under Louis Philippe) have already been sniffing around, and if he acquires the factories at Serampore etc from Denmark, he's going to be expanding the Dutch Empire anyway. Plus, in 1844 he sent a letter to the Shogun about the possibility of opening up Japan to international trade*. Here, he's now acquired a decent harbour (and a good swatch of land) for the best deal of all: free. Unlike the Dutch colonies elsewhere though, Natalia was majority white (probably even more so than OTL) which means he can impose Dutch law without too much problem. The problem comes in in enforcing that law: nearest church minister was at Cradock or Burgersdorp, and you often had whole families being baptised at once when the ministercame to town. And ICR what there as in the way of law/order. Willem uses that gap as "leverage" to ensure that the appointees might be local, but they will be trained by the Dutch and loyal to the Crown. He likely will administer it the same as Indonesia, where he'd leave it to run itself for the most part, rather than trying to appoint a magistrate for Pietermaritzburg from the Hague (six months travel either way renders such an attempt useless).

The Boers might still go kaalvoet oor die Drakensberge, as the Afrikaaners say, to get away from this sort of centralizing of authority (they did it in the Cape), but the difference is they asked for this. All Willem asks in return is that they pay the same taxes as any other Dutchman, and they don't cause him trouble with England. Since the Natalians just want the English to leave them alone, I could see them agreeing, even if they aren't happy about it. And Willem hasn't (like the VOC and the British did) limited their spread. He acknowledges they're gonna wanna spread, and so long as it doesn't cause problems with Britain (or Portugal up north) he's fine with it.

As for the renaming of Durban, its an English name (for Benjamin d'Urban, the Governor/Commissioner of the Cape), so I can't see Willem agreeing to keep that any more than the English kept New Amsterdam.

*This letter was not - as often supposed - the Dutch trying to do what the Americans did later and trying to open Japan. Rather, the Dutch were the only Europeans allowed to trade with Japan at that point (via Nagasaki). So the letter was to gouge whether there was any possibility of the Dutch losing that monopoly by Japan opening her doors. They were especially worried about British aggression in the area after the Opium Wars and that Britain would "force" Japan to trade with them.

So the Dutch are not going quietly into the night here: they still have Antwerp and a "decent" navy. They're going back to basics (trade). They're just making sure that they're in a strong enough position to "maintain"that trade (i.e. not stepping on toes but also making sure no one else steps on their toes either)

Is it crazy to think that Alexandra "Adini" Nikolaïevna has not died here, so the Russian court wouldn't still be in mourning for her? Her health is perhaps still "frail", perhaps more along the lines of Eugènie de Beauharnais, Auguste of Tuscany or Amélia of Brasil: spends most of her time in warmer climates or going from spa to spa to improve her health?

Is it crazy to think that Alexandra "Adini" Nikolaïevna has not died here, so the Russian court wouldn't still be in mourning for her? Her health is perhaps still "frail", perhaps more along the lines of Eugènie de Beauharnais, Auguste of Tuscany or Amélia of Brasil: spends most of her time in warmer climates or going from spa to spa to improve her health?
Well if she had not caught the tuberculosis who killed her in OTL (that happened between her engagement and wedding) there is no reason for which she could not have gone with her husband in Hesse after the wedding and carry her son to term (so he will be born around the half of November 1844)

Thank you. @Parma and @pompejus, @HJ Tulp @H.Flashman(VC) and others more knowledgeable about the area can weigh in, but Dick King didn't complete his ten day ride to get reinforcements from Grahamstown (maybe eaten by a lion), so the British never manage to defeat the Natalians. Granted, they don't just go lick their wounds, but Frankie sending them settlers (what they requested from Willem II in 1841/1842) meansthat they have a "fighting chance". I could see a lot of the settlers now being soldiers from the late war actually (both Dutch and German).
Thanks for the mention. Now I'll have to read all 72 pages of this thread :D Will do so in the new year!

Yeah, plus the "loss" of Holstein would certainly outrage the German public. If you want to remove foreign stakes from Germany, Holstein remaining in the confederation, but going to a different heir as Denmark would make more sense, imo.

Yeah, plus the "loss" of Holstein would certainly outrage the German public. If you want to remove foreign stakes from Germany, Holstein remaining in the confederation, but going to a different heir as Denmark would make more sense, imo.
Would that be possible if Frederik VII has a legitimate son?

Rappard: it is also our wish that a university be established in the town called Pietermaritzburg in order to facilitate the training of locals in both matters of theology and law-
*delegates look shocked at this clause*
Rappard: this university is to be set to Dutch specifications and its students trained in Dutch law so as to enforce the laws of the kingdom of the Netherlands in the Republic of Natalia. Furthermore, a dozen schools are to be established throughout the Republic of Natalia for the education of the inhabitants' children [7].
Thank you for mentioning me. I hope i can help you somewhat with my very general knowledge of Dutch education, religious and financial politics of the period.
About this passage i have one big question: "Who's going to pay for all that?" That's certainly something that many members of parliament are going to ask when the yearly budget proposal will be put before them (This is taking place sometimes in the early 1840's, right?) I think the for the government cheaper solution more likely that at first reverends and some governmentofficials must acquire an accredation from a Dutch university that's recognized by the state, if they don't already have that. A university in South Afrika proper financed by the state will be seen as a generous gift, and it will be a future task to show that this is necessary.
This accreditation might become a problem, as the Dutch universities might be seen by the orthodox calvinists as too much influenced by modern ideas. (I must admit i haven't read everything here. What did happen with the Belgian revolution? I saw Antwerp was still Dutch, so there are differences there. Could you point me to that part, please? There is an influence on educational and religious policy.
Rappard was minister of religious affairs
Yes, but for clarity this was after 1853. But i don't see that as a real problem here.