Kellan i have a curiosity ? for the can you remove please, how are things going in Switzerland (since 1848 and the civil war is approaching? also considering the interests of Prussia (Neuchâtel)
and Austria ( Ticino and the Catholic cantons ) with France always looking to Geneva ) ?

we will see the confederacy resist or implode or even remain intact but losing pieces ?

Kellan i have a curiosity ? for the can you remove please, how are things going in Switzerland (since 1848 and the civil war is approaching? also considering the interests of Prussia (Neuchâtel)
and Austria ( Ticino and the Catholic cantons ) with France always looking to Geneva ) ?

we will see the confederacy resist or implode or even remain intact but losing pieces ?
I'll admit that my "knowledge lacuna" on Swiss history in general has been what has made me shy away from anything more than an off-hand reference to Switzerland- Frankie visiting the dying Hortense de Beauharnais at Arenenberg and Henri and Ney getting chased by Neuchâtelois-Prussian soldiers shortly after they arrived in France. -so I'd be open to suggestions

I'll admit that my "knowledge lacuna" on Swiss history in general has been what has made me shy away from anything more than an off-hand reference to Switzerland- Frankie visiting the dying Hortense de Beauharnais at Arenenberg and Henri and Ney getting chased by Neuchâtelois-Prussian soldiers shortly after they arrived in France. -so I'd be open to suggestions
well mainly we are close to the Sonderbund war (i.e. the war where the separatist league composed of 8 Catholic and conservative cantons (i.e. the historical ones of Lucerne, Uri, Schwyz, Nidwalden, Obwalden,
Zug to which Friborg and Valais were added) opposed the plans for greater centralization of the confederation implemented by the liberal cantons (among which Ticino and Solothurn stood out, the only liberal Catholic cantons, the others were all Protestants) and radicals, The conquest of power by the Radical Party in the confederation had led to anti-Catholic and secular measures, such as the closure of convents in Aargau (1841), when Lucerne recalled the Jesuits in 1844 in retaliation, armed bands of radicals invaded the canton. this was the straw that broke the camel's back (although it should be added that the party's centralized policies scared the rural cantons of losing their privileges)

Last edited:
[11] Vienna transitioned to a "civilian" police force around this time OTL as well. And Pius IX also reformed his Gendarmerie at this time. @Fehérvári I don't know what Hungarian police history was like at this point, could Frankie try to implement them there as well
I don't know much about this particular topic. From what I gathered with a quick search, the rural police answered to the county district, and ultimately to the county. Despite being called rural, this police was also in charge of towns that didn't have "Free Royal City" or similar status. Free Royal Cities and other special administrations had their own independent police forces. There were plans for centralisation in 1848, but there was no time to realise them, although the "National Police Office" was nominally established at the time.
(and was there any history of a similar policy to Gesindezwang in Hungary)?
Not really. There was only the robot (the serf's obligation to work on the landowner's directly owned land once a week), but that was also abolished when serfdom was abolished.

In Hungary, ultimately 44% of the peasantry came to possess 56% of the land, the rest remained in the hands of the nobility, royalty and state. The rest of the peasantry (56%) didn't possess land before, and remained landless after the abolition of serfdom too, but at least they were freed from their feudal obligations.

There were some calls for land reform during the revolution and the war with Austria, but ultimately it didn't happen, not even after the Ausgleich.

that he does. Now let's hope that a bundle of joy follows soon. Although I'm torn between wanting it to be a girl (and Henri junkets Salic Law* as a result) and let the boy only be born after Angoulême dies. Or let it be a boy straight out of the gate (which wouldn't have happened since the duc de Bourgogne in 1704 that a French king/heir has had a boy born first).
Bit of a late comment here, but it would seem a bit strange for the French monarchy to start meddling with the succession right after the restoration of the legitimate line against all odds (and in the context of an international situation where the Carlists, who had rather less of a leg to stand on when it came to historical precedent for Salic Law than France did, have just been established in a position of power in Spain). Granted, the French monarchy does benefit from the remarkable fact that - after the deaths of Louis XIX and Madame Royale - Henri will be, as most Bourbons were from Henri IV onwards, both the heir male and the heir general to Hugues Capet, but I don't know if that provides enough of a basis for saying Philippe V was wrong (which would also mean that the Hundred Years' War was basically fought for nothing). I know that abolition of the Salic Law was proposed OTL around the time Henri was born, but it didn't happen in the end because of his birth, and this was in a period in which France had at least one fewer rival dynasty. So, even with Frankie disinterested and the Orleans relegated to the sidelines once more, I can't imagine Salic Law being abolished without Henri having no sons for years on end and without it causing a major controversy. Just having the girl be born first would not be a very likely reason. Most countries in Europe use (semi-)Salic Law at this point, after all.

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Soundtrack: Nicola Porpora - Ezio - Se tu la reggi al volo [1]

*exterior* *Venice* *we see a funeral procession passing along the canal to the Church of Santa Maria della Salute*
*Interior* *the church is filled with a host of Bonaparte faces* *even the wastrel, Jérôme, is there* *although he is keeping a wary distance from Frankie who is standing bareheaded between Desirée, Dowager Queen of Sweden, and Julie Clary, Dowager Queen of Spain* *also present are the Bonaparte women: Elise, Princesse de Craon, Mathilde, duchesse d'Uzès, Julie, princesse de Polignac* *even the French ambassador to Venice, the marquis de Rumigny [2] is present in full diplomatic uniform*
*Cut to the coffin being lowered*
*Cut to the gravestone* *it reads Louis Bonaparte, Comte de Saint-Leu [3]* *we pan to the rest of the "crypt" as the funeral party leaves and see gravestones for "Joseph Bonaparte, Comte de Survilliers", "Caroline Murat, Comtesse de Lipona", "Charlotte Bonaparte, Comtesse de Saint-Leu" and "Lucien Bonaparte, Prince de Canino and Musignano"*
*Cut to La Fenice* *Frankie is sitting in his box* *alongside Amalie with his daughters and their sons* *none wear any trace of mourning garb [4]* *in fact Léopold is dressed in a miniature hussar uniform* *on stage Verdi's Attila is playing out* *the baritone is singing the aria "E gettata la mia sorte" [5]*
Frankie: *not taking his eyes from the stage* what is it Marmont?
Marmont: news from Urbino, sir
Amalie: what news could possibly come from Urbino? *but we see her pose shifts, tenses* *in fact, everyone in the box seems to stiffen*
Frankie: *puts his hand over Amalie's* *then lifts it and kisses it* nothing for us to worry about.
15yo Therese: perhaps it is the pope telling you that you can march in, Papa.
Frankie: if things go my way, Therese, I won't need to march anywhere.
7yo Eugène: *climbing onto his father's knee* and will things go your way?
Frankie: it's not my way I'm worried about *kisses his son's head*

*cut to Urbino* *exterior of the Piazza Nuova [6]* *we see women emerging into the piazza from the five streets that converge on it [7]* *these women are all dressed alike in red skirts and yellow blouses [8]* *on one of their signs is painted "Cittadini dello Stato"* *or "L'Amarezza e l'Umiliazione!"* *the soldiers around the piazza are looking nervously as the women assemble and a woman - wearing trousers - climbs on horseback and starts addressing the crowd*

*cut to similar thing happening in Perugia, Foligno, Ancona, Macerata and other cities that have declared against the pope* *in all of them, the women - young, old, married, widowed, some leading children by the hand or on the hip, others with husbands or sons in tow - have turned out at the "town square"* *all with similar banners*

*cut to Palazzo Barberini - aka HQ for the Republicans - at Rome*
Aurelio Saliceti: *irritably* my question is what do these women want? It's one thing for them to proclaim that they're citizens of the Papal States, but what is this "humiliation and bitterness" they speak of?
Mazzini: the fact is that the troops are useless against them. Most of them won't dare arrest these women for causing a disturbance, and those that are willing to do so, well...they get shunned by their fellows. One was even shot by his commanding officer.
Danduccio, Crown Prince of Etruria: what disturbance are they causing, exactly? They don't seem to be making a nuisance of themselves. In fact, aside from the work at home that remains undone, I'd rather have female protesters in the streets- it all seems rather...orderly.
Clémentine: of course you would think that, you fool.
Danduccio: one would think that you would be on the side of these women, Clementina
Clémentine: this is all Bonaparte's doing. I'm sure of it.
Danduccio: Clementina, if it rains or it doesn't, you blame Bonaparte. That is you and your father's problem-
Clémentine: and you don't think these women are just a little too organized?
Danduccio: what's wrong with a woman being organized *looks pointedly around the room that is clearly not organized* *pointedly* next you'll be criticizing the fact that I say I like a woman who can keep a tidy house and march in a protest at the same time.
Clémentine: then why don't you go back to Emma [9] and leave the actual business to me.
Danduccio: *stands up* *lighting a cigarette* personally, I'd love to find out what your solution to this problem is. You have women who are down in the piazza, shouting "long live the pope" and soldiers who are too terrified to do anything about them. *walks out of room twirling his cane*

*cut to the Galleria of the Palazzo Barberini* *Danduccio is standing at the window puffing on a cigarette* *his ADC, Salvatore Morelli [10] is there with a woman* *in similar red skirt-yellow blouse to the ones outside*
Morelli: your Royal Highness, this is Signorina Amelia d'Abbraccio, she's part of the Cittadini in the piazza.
Danduccio: *suddenly at his most charming* enchantée, Mademoiselle. *kisses her hand*
Morelli: I thought that she could explain to us exactly what the women outside want.
Danduccio: and those women know what they want?
Amelia: *looks him in the eye* yes, your Royal Highness. We do.
Danduccio: and what is that?
Amelia: exactly what Signor Mazzini promised us.
Danduccio: *looks at Morelli*
Morelli: *shrugs* I knew your Royal Highness would want to hear this.
Danduccio: and what did Signor Mazzini promise you. I honestly can't think at the moment.
Amelia: that the right of citizens to petition can be exercised both individually and collectively, that the right to associate - so long as we do not bear arms and have no malicious intent - is free- [11]
Amelia: but most importantly, we want redress as promised in article thirteen, that nothing shall be taken away without just compensation by the republic: we were not allowed to vote in the elections last month. Despite article seventeen of Signor Mazzini's constitution guaranteeing us that every citizen who enjoys civil and political rights is an elector and eligible for election [12].
Danduccio: *now visibly struggling not to laugh at the foolishness of Saliceti, Mazzini himself and Clémentine*
Amelia: and, as women, we have decided, that since we were promised this in the constitution, and then ignored, we would rather take our chances with his Holiness and the College of Cardinals than with your tinpot republic.
Danduccio: *grinning broadly* if I may, for a moment, signorina, could I trouble you to explain that to my wife? *leads Amelia back to the room where Clémentine and the others were politicking *

*fade to black*

[1] title of the aria translates as "if you can handle it". The plotline of "Ezio" has little to do with Assassin's Creed and everything to do with the Roman general, Aetius, the guy who defeated Attila the Hun
[2] Rumigny was the French ambassador to Sardinia-Piedmont in the 1840s. His wife was a daughter of the Bonapartist duc de Treviso, his brother had been a.d.c. to Louis Philippe, despite their dad owing his title to Louis XVIII. This aside, Rumigny was a capable diplomat, both in Turin and prior to that, in Spain. The Lombard-Venetian court didn't have ambassadors accredited to it or from it OTL (that I can find)
[3] Louis dies some months earlier than OTL. The stress of the war probably finished him earlier
[4] There's two ways of looking at this: the first is that Frankie (as titular emperor) would not wear mourning. He has precedent since while his dad obliged court mourning for General Leclerc (and forced Pauline to wait 13 months before marrying Borghese), there's no record that Napoléon himself wore mourning, either for his brother-in-law, his nephew/heir (Louis-Hortense's son) or for when Josèphine died. And Frankie is simply following this tradition. Explanation two is that this is a calculated insult to his uncle - theatre performances and mourning dress were (at least) expected for the first six months. Given the fact that his uncles have caused him little but headaches, and both Louis' sons know which side their bread is buttered, I tend to lean towards the latter.
[5]
. Title roughly translates as "the die is cast, I'm ready for anything"
[6] nowadays the Piazza Repubblica
[7] the OTL via Raffaello, via Battisti, via Veneto, via Mazzini and corso Garibaldi. Obviously in 1846 they did not have those names (and likely won't here) but they were already laid out in 1829-1835
[8] the colours of the papal flag
[9] Countess Emma Guadagni, Carlo's OTL maîtresse-en-titre. Carlo met her in Florence and became infatuated with her, even taking her as his date to official events (like meeting Queen Isabel II, for instance). It got so bad that there were rumours that Carlo planned to seek a separation from his wife so he could marry "Emma the Liberal". Carlo's dad - aware of the problems this was causing - called in her mom to find Emma a suitable husband. Unfortunately Emma turned down three eligible Austrian bachelors one after the other. The husband they ended up finding for Emma was Pompeo Schmucker. If the name is making you go "who?" his dad, Eduard Schmucker is also the second husband of Maria Isabel of Spain, Dowager Queen of Sicily (and father of her son, Enrico)
715688751_228444463_1706x2219.jpg

^the Countess Guadagni^
[10] by birth, a Neapolitan subject, but he had Mazzinian ideas and he got into trouble for burning a picture of Ferdinando II in the town square back in Brindisi/Carovigno. Instead of getting a decade in jail, he escapes to Rome and winds up embroiled in the city's politics
[11] Article 10 and 11 of Mazzini's Constitution
[12] this was a major oversight of Mazzini's constitution OTL. It did not specify gender in terms of who could vote/stand for election. This was a point raised when the Italian Suffragette movement petitioned the Italian Chambers in 1866 for the restoration of their rights. [13]
[13] Clémentine is right in seeing Frankie's hand behind this. Even if not "deliberately", with his "school for girls" and his "teacher training schools", he has lit the touch paper. It doesn't hurt that, in 1846, the only states in Italy that give women the right to vote? Lombardy-Venetia and Tuscany (this precedent had existed since the 16th century already, codified circa 1849, and abolished under the Unification of Italy). Let's face it though, Frankie stirring up trouble by infiltrating and destroying them from inside, plus discrediting Clémentine-Danduccio and the liberals by letting them hang themselves is pretty much up his alley.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā) @Nuraghe @renard_ @JustinTexas @monteirobert

Soundtrack: Nicola Porpora - Ezio - Se tu la reggi al volo [1]

*exterior* *Venice* *we see a funeral procession passing along the canal to the Church of Santa Maria della Salute*
*Interior* *the church is filled with a host of Bonaparte faces* *even the wastrel, Jérôme, is there* *although he is keeping a wary distance from Frankie who is standing bareheaded between Desirée, Dowager Queen of Sweden, and Julie Clary, Dowager Queen of Spain* *also present are the Bonaparte women: Elise, Princesse de Craon, Mathilde, duchesse d'Uzès, Julie, princesse de Polignac* *even the French ambassador to Venice, the marquis de Rumigny [2] is present in full diplomatic uniform*
*Cut to the coffin being lowered*
*Cut to the gravestone* *it reads Louis Bonaparte, Comte de Saint-Leu [3]* *we pan to the rest of the "crypt" as the funeral party leaves and see gravestones for "Joseph Bonaparte, Comte de Survilliers", "Caroline Murat, Comtesse de Lipona", "Charlotte Bonaparte, Comtesse de Saint-Leu" and "Lucien Bonaparte, Prince de Canino and Musignano"*
*Cut to La Fenice* *Frankie is sitting in his box* *alongside Amalie with his daughters and their sons* *none wear any trace of mourning garb [4]* *in fact Léopold is dressed in a miniature hussar uniform* *on stage Verdi's Attila is playing out* *the baritone is singing the aria "E gettata la mia sorte" [5]*
Frankie: *not taking his eyes from the stage* what is it Marmont?
Marmont: news from Urbino, sir
Amalie: what news could possibly come from Urbino? *but we see her pose shifts, tenses* *in fact, everyone in the box seems to stiffen*
Frankie: *puts his hand over Amalie's* *then lifts it and kisses it* nothing for us to worry about.
15yo Therese: perhaps it is the pope telling you that you can march in, Papa.
Frankie: if things go my way, Therese, I won't need to march anywhere.
7yo Eugène: *climbing onto his father's knee* and will things go your way?
Frankie: it's not my way I'm worried about *kisses his son's head*

*cut to Urbino* *exterior of the Piazza Nuova [6]* *we see women emerging into the piazza from the five streets that converge on it [7]* *these women are all dressed alike in red skirts and yellow blouses [8]* *on one of their signs is painted "Cittadini dello Stato"* *or "L'Amarezza e l'Umiliazione!"* *the soldiers around the piazza are looking nervously as the women assemble and a woman - wearing trousers - climbs on horseback and starts addressing the crowd*

*cut to similar thing happening in Perugia, Foligno, Ancona, Macerata and other cities that have declared against the pope* *in all of them, the women - young, old, married, widowed, some leading children by the hand or on the hip, others with husbands or sons in tow - have turned out at the "town square"* *all with similar banners*

*cut to Palazzo Barberini - aka HQ for the Republicans - at Rome*
Aurelio Saliceti: *irritably* my question is what do these women want? It's one thing for them to proclaim that they're citizens of the Papal States, but what is this "humiliation and bitterness" they speak of?
Mazzini: the fact is that the troops are useless against them. Most of them won't dare arrest these women for causing a disturbance, and those that are willing to do so, well...they get shunned by their fellows. One was even shot by his commanding officer.
Danduccio, Crown Prince of Etruria: what disturbance are they causing, exactly? They don't seem to be making a nuisance of themselves. In fact, aside from the work at home that remains undone, I'd rather have female protesters in the streets- it all seems rather...orderly.
Clémentine: of course you would think that, you fool.
Danduccio: one would think that you would be on the side of these women, Clementina
Clémentine: this is all Bonaparte's doing. I'm sure of it.
Danduccio: Clementina, if it rains or it doesn't, you blame Bonaparte. That is you and your father's problem-
Clémentine: and you don't think these women are just a little too organized?
Danduccio: what's wrong with a woman being organized *looks pointedly around the room that is clearly not organized* *pointedly* next you'll be criticizing the fact that I say I like a woman who can keep a tidy house and march in a protest at the same time.
Clémentine: then why don't you go back to Emma [9] and leave the actual business to me.
Danduccio: *stands up* *lighting a cigarette* personally, I'd love to find out what your solution to this problem is. You have women who are down in the piazza, shouting "long live the pope" and soldiers who are too terrified to do anything about them. *walks out of room twirling his cane*

*cut to the Galleria of the Palazzo Barberini* *Danduccio is standing at the window puffing on a cigarette* *his ADC, Salvatore Morelli [10] is there with a woman* *in similar red skirt-yellow blouse to the ones outside*
Morelli: your Royal Highness, this is Signorina Amelia d'Abbraccio, she's part of the Cittadini in the piazza.
Danduccio: *suddenly at his most charming* enchantée, Mademoiselle. *kisses her hand*
Morelli: I thought that she could explain to us exactly what the women outside want.
Danduccio: and those women know what they want?
Amelia: *looks him in the eye* yes, your Royal Highness. We do.
Danduccio: and what is that?
Amelia: exactly what Signor Mazzini promised us.
Morelli: *shrugs* I knew your Royal Highness would want to hear this.
Danduccio: and what did Signor Mazzini promise you. I honestly can't think at the moment.
Amelia: that the right of citizens to petition can be exercised both individually and collectively, that the right to associate - so long as we do not bear arms and have no malicious intent - is free- [11]
Amelia: but most importantly, we want redress as promised in article thirteen, that nothing shall be taken away without just compensation by the republic: we were not allowed to vote in the elections last month. Despite article seventeen of Signor Mazzini's constitution guaranteeing us that every citizen who enjoys civil and political rights is an elector and eligible for election [12].
Danduccio: *now visibly struggling not to laugh at the foolishness of Saliceti, Mazzini himself and Clémentine*
Amelia: and, as women, we have decided, that since we were promised this in the constitution, and then ignored, we would rather take our chances with his Holiness and the College of Cardinals than with your tinpot republic.
Danduccio: *grinning broadly* if I may, for a moment, signorina, could I trouble you to explain that to my wife? *leads Amelia back to the room where Clémentine and the others were politicking *

*fade to black*

[1] title of the aria translates as "if you can handle it". The plotline of "Ezio" has little to do with Assassin's Creed and everything to do with the Roman general, Aetius, the guy who defeated Attila the Hun
[2] Rumigny was the French ambassador to Sardinia-Piedmont in the 1840s. His wife was a daughter of the Bonapartist duc de Treviso, his brother had been a.d.c. to Louis Philippe, despite their dad owing his title to Louis XVIII. This aside, Rumigny was a capable diplomat, both in Turin and prior to that, in Spain. The Lombard-Venetian court didn't have ambassadors accredited to it or from it OTL (that I can find)
[3] Louis dies some months earlier than OTL. The stress of the war probably finished him earlier
[4] There's two ways of looking at this: the first is that Frankie (as titular emperor) would not wear mourning. He has precedent since while his dad obliged court mourning for General Leclerc (and forced Pauline to wait 13 months before marrying Borghese), there's no record that Napoléon himself wore mourning, either for his brother-in-law, his nephew/heir (Louis-Hortense's son) or for when Josèphine died. And Frankie is simply following this tradition. Explanation two is that this is a calculated insult to his uncle - theatre performances and mourning dress were (at least) expected for the first six months. Given the fact that his uncles have caused him little but headaches, and both Louis' sons know which side their bread is buttered, I tend to lean towards the latter.
[5]
. Title roughly translates as "the die is cast, I'm ready for anything"
[6] nowadays the Piazza Repubblica
[7] the OTL via Raffaello, via Battisti, via Veneto, via Mazzini and corso Garibaldi. Obviously in 1846 they did not have those names (and likely won't here) but they were already laid out in 1829-1835
[8] the colours of the papal flag
[9] Countess Emma Guadagni, Carlo's OTL maîtresse-en-titre. Carlo met her in Florence and became infatuated with her, even taking her as his date to official events (like meeting Queen Isabel II, for instance). It got so bad that there were rumours that Carlo planned to seek a separation from his wife so he could marry "Emma the Liberal". Carlo's dad - aware of the problems this was causing - called in her mom to find Emma a suitable husband. Unfortunately Emma turned down three eligible Austrian bachelors one after the other. The husband they ended up finding for Emma was Pompeo Schmucker. If the name is making you go "who?" his dad, Eduard Schmucker is also the second husband of Maria Isabel of Spain, Dowager Queen of Sicily (and father of her son, Enrico)
715688751_228444463_1706x2219.jpg

^the Countess Guadagni^
[10] by birth, a Neapolitan subject, but he had Mazzinian ideas and he got into trouble for burning a picture of Ferdinando II in the town square back in Brindisi/Carovigno. Instead of getting a decade in jail, he escapes to Rome and winds up embroiled in the city's politics
[11] Article 10 and 11 of Mazzini's Constitution
[12] this was a major oversight of Mazzini's constitution OTL. It did not specify gender in terms of who could vote/stand for election. This was a point raised when the Italian Suffragette movement petitioned the Italian Chambers in 1866 for the restoration of their rights. [13]
[13] Clémentine is right in seeing Frankie's hand behind this. Even if not "deliberately", with his "school for girls" and his "teacher training schools", he has lit the touch paper. It doesn't hurt that, in 1846, the only states in Italy that give women the right to vote? Lombardy-Venetia and Tuscany (this precedent had existed since the 16th century already, codified circa 1849, and abolished under the Unification of Italy). Let's face it though, Frankie stirring up trouble by infiltrating and destroying them from inside, plus discrediting Clémentine-Danduccio and the liberals by letting them hang themselves is pretty much up his alley.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā) @Nuraghe @renard_ @JustinTexas @monteirobert
this is a real stroke of genius I grant you (the clothes with the colors of the Vatican flag are a touch of class) now since the republic in Otl had been dissolved with an army, here instead the pontifical women who go down to square to bend their arm (a touch of class, even more if you then make some of them prominent figures in the state, perhaps one of them enters the papal army: not impossible, the history of the 19th century is full of women who have this above all German and Italian (like the lieutenant Francesca Scanagatta who served under the Habsburgs under the name of Franz in the revolutionary wars until 1802 and in 1843 was honored with a letter from the emperor which nominated her among the best students of the Teresian Academy)

let's see a first female empowerment for the vote ? (that would be great), what stage are the trade union movements in Italy (because we were born in Turin in 1848 under the name Tipografi which brought together all the working classes but were not recognized as non-terrorist organizations until 1891)
instead the question of the historic left and right party (with annexed transformism: a typically Italian political phenomenon where people of various alignments changed their political orientation several times during the ongoing legislature, it mainly occurred between the ruling party and members of the opposition, which is usually historically started in 1882 but which had among its percussions the union Cavour - Rattazzi of 1852 and the Marais of the French revolution) how these things develop now ?

Last edited:
this is a real stroke of genius I grant you (the clothes with the colors of the Vatican flag are a touch of class)
thank you
now since the republic in Otl had been dissolved with an army, here instead the pontifical women who go down to square to bend their arm (a touch of class, even more if you then make some of them prominent figures in the state, perhaps one of them enters the papal army: not impossible, the history of the 19th century is full of women who have this above all German and Italian (like the lieutenant Francesca Scanagatta who served under the Habsburgs under the name of Franz in the revolutionary wars until 1802 and in 1843 was honored with a letter from the emperor which nominated her among the best students of the Teresian Academy)
I'll admit, I sort of fell down the rabbit hole a bit when I was reading up on the 1849 Roman Republic (not to mention the constitutional oversight like Signora d'Abbruccio pointed out). Then I read that Tuscany and Lombardy-Venetia gave women the right to vote in 1848 (not sure if Ferdinando II's 1846 constitution for Sicily said anything about it), and it got my brain going
let's see a first female empowerment for the vote ? (that would be great),
I don't think they'll be getting it straight out the gate- Tuscany and Lombardy-Venetia both had precedents stretching back several centuries that they simply worked off of. -but not having to get it, then see it taken away again for almost a century would probably help it. Also, how the Pope feels about it is another matter: mean, Bonifacio might be liberal, but OTL, it was usually the "liberators/liberals" like the Orléanists, the Savoys, Napoléon, who were against women's emancipation.

I think the first order of business would be to open schooling up to girls before they get to a vote. Frankie's already (sorta) started that (if by accident).
what stage are the trade union movements in Italy (because we were born in Turin in 1848 under the name Tipografi which brought together all the working classes but were not recognized as non-terrorist organizations until 1891)
I'll admit I'll have to read up on those
instead the question of the historic left and right party (with annexed transformism: a typically Italian political phenomenon where people of various alignments changed their political orientation several times during the ongoing legislature, it mainly occurred between the ruling party and members of the opposition, which is usually historically started in 1882 but which had among its percussions the union Cavour - Rattazzi of 1852 and the Marais of the French revolution) how these things develop now ?
See my previous answer.

thank you

I'll admit, I sort of fell down the rabbit hole a bit when I was reading up on the 1849 Roman Republic (not to mention the constitutional oversight like Signora d'Abbruccio pointed out). Then I read that Tuscany and Lombardy-Venetia gave women the right to vote in 1848 (not sure if Ferdinando II's 1846 constitution for Sicily said anything about it), and it got my brain going

I don't think they'll be getting it straight out the gate- Tuscany and Lombardy-Venetia both had precedents stretching back several centuries that they simply worked off of. -but not having to get it, then see it taken away again for almost a century would probably help it. Also, how the Pope feels about it is another matter: mean, Bonifacio might be liberal, but OTL, it was usually the "liberators/liberals" like the Orléanists, the Savoys, Napoléon, who were against women's emancipation.

I think the first order of business would be to open schooling up to girls before they get to a vote. Frankie's already (sorta) started that (if by accident).

I'll admit I'll have to read up on those

See my previous answer.
don't worry, it was just me who went too far with possible changes 😅, but yes Bonifacio can use these "demonstrations" to his advantage and I see him setting up girls' schools ( since Otl with him in Pius government restructured the state apparatus and the scholastic one as well as creating specialized clinics to assist the disabled of all kinds and train first-rate doctors) and if we consider the upcoming jubilee then it is a good opportunity to restructure and implement better in urban infrastructure (railway stations and tramways, resting places for pilgrims and tourists, expand the monumental sites of the city and adjust the popular neighborhoods.. etc) in the Urbe

Last edited:
And The Righteous Hurry Past, They Don't Hear The Children Crying
Soundtrack: Fromental Halévy - Overture to Les Mousquetaires de la Reine

*exterior* *Sedan* *we see various sites around the town* *still more surprising is that we see Henri and Élisabeth touring the town, alongside most of the "young court" [1]* *they visit the Hôpital de Sedan [2] where the nurses, the "Grey Sisters" in their cornette headdresses tend to the patients* *then we see them visiting the Manufacture Royal de Draps le Dijonval [3]* *at several points in the "tour" of the factory we see either Henri or Élisabeth stopping suddenly and either asking the owner, Alexandre Bacot, something, or, in Henri's case, simply talking to the workers*
*suddenly we see a flash, while Henri's talking to one*
Alexandre: *suddenly very angry as he stalks over to a young man* Edmond! how many times have I told you to put that blasted thing away! We have visitors! What must his Royal Highness think of us!
Edmond: Pa, I just-
Alexandre: those books aren't going to keep themselves, now get back to your office like y-
Henri: *calmly intruding* is there a problem, Monsieur Bacot?
Alexandre: your Royal Highness, I'm terribly sorry for hthis. *through clenched teeth* my son has decided to try his hand at photography instead of *pointedly* keeping to his job which is balancing the books.
Henri: nothing wrong with a young man having a hobby.
Alexandre: when it intrudes on his work, or that of others, then I should say there is, your Royal Highness.
Henri: *nods* *returns to his group* *in a few moments, the entire cluster is moving towards the door*
Alexandre: *short of snapping his fingers at Henri to get his attention* your Royal Highness, there is still the entire north wing of the factory to be seen.
Henri: *pauses at the door as he puts on his hat* some other time, Monsieur. I wouldn't my hobby to intrude on either my work or that of others. *tips hat to the owner*

*cut to the Académie de Sedan* *Henri and Élisabeth are sitting in the front row of the hall watching a piano performance* *seated alongside Henri is a rather rotund male specimen with curly hair and spectacles*
Henri: *sad tone* so, as you see, Monsieur Cunin-Gridaine, I come to you, hat in hand, admitting my faults. After such an incident, I am sure that as a father and a grandfather yourself, you can commiserate that the crown would have difficulty doing business with Monsieur Bacot.
Cunin-Gridaine [4]: *nodding* of course, your Royal Highness, after all, if that is how a man treats his son in front of his future king, how does he treat his son in private?
Élisabeth: Henri is more concerned with how the man treats his workers.
Cunin-Gridaine: quite, quite, your Royal Highness.
Henri: I'm sure you must treat your workers quite well, Monsieur.
Cunin-Gridaine: of course, your Royal Highness. I would be remiss not to.
Henri: *leans chin on his walking stick* good good. No doubt since you have retired from government you have found more than ample time to get your factory running like a Swiss watch.
Cunin-Gridaine: certainly.
Henri: perhaps we could pay it a visit. I'm sure you would not dare to be as rude as Monsieur Bacot.
Cunin-Gridaine: *nervously* does your Royal Highness mean now?
Élisabeth: no time like the present.
Henri: *pats Élisabeth's hand* *cocks head to stage* mignonne, music at dinner is as much an insult to the chef as it is to the violinist. What will Mister Gottschalk[5] think of us if we were to get up and leave in the middle of his playing?
Élisabeth: *makes a motion to indicate her carelessness*
Henri: and we are returning to Paris in the morning, but all the same, I should like to visit your factory at some point.
Cunin-Gridaine: your Royal Highness would be more than welcome.
*looks relieved as Henri and Élisabeth turn their attentions to speaking to the guest on their other side, Arsène Thiebaut de Berneaud [6]*

*after the concert* *Henri is on his way out* *pauses in front of Cunin-Gridaine*
Henri: Monsieur, I still meant to ask you, if you had found a suitable husband for your granddaughter yet? The duchesse d'Orléans tells me there was some...difficulty. Something about the match falling through?
Cunin-Gridaine: changed circumstances, your Royal Highness, nothing unusual.
Henri: perhaps I can help.
Cunin-Gridaine: your Royal Highness, I couldn't possibly impose.
Henri: nonsense. It will make me feel like I have done something of worth to you since I cannot grant your request that it would be the "Manufacture Royal de Gros-Chien".
Cunin-Gridaine: it would be subject to my approval of course.
Henri: what objections could you have to a king's grandson?
Cunin-Gridaine: *looks shocked* *then nods fervently*
Henri: very good. You may make the arrangements as is fitting. I shall tell my brother of the good news.
Cunin-Gridaine: *stammers* y-y-y-our b-b-brother, sir?
Henri: yes, my father's bastard by Mademoiselle de la Roche. *innocently* who did you think I meant? *sly smile* oh, you thought I meant the duc de Montpensier? *chuckles* *pats Cunin-Gridaine on the back as he climbs into his coach*

*fade to black*

*title card appears telling us that Henri's half-brother, Charles de la Roche, was married to Cunin-Gridaine's granddaughter, Sidonie Talabot [7], a month later*
*next title card tells us that Edmond Bacot[7]'s photograph of Henri speaking to the workers became almost as iconic a depiction of the monarch as Rigaud's portrait of Louis XIV. It remains, to this day, the most famous of Bacot's photographs*

[1] the young court would be (naturally) Henri and Elizabeth Mikhailovna, but then further extending to the duque de Cadix's children, his daughter-in-law, Eugènie de Montijo, then the duchesse de Nemours would be included as Elizabeth's cousin rather than for her Orléans connections, the prince de la Trémoïlle, the duc de Rohan-Chabot, the ducs de Noailles, Fitz-James, Richelieu and Uzes (plus their wives), and Fritz Levoy-Bachiocchi, Marquis de Talhouët and his wife. They are not all of an accord - their political views are all over the place from hardcore Legitimistes like Fitz-James and Eugènie to liberals like Noailles and Mathilde Bonaparte, duchesse de Uzes
[2] founded in 1521. The Grey Sisters, or Soeurs Grise, are the Filles de la Charité de Saint Vincent de Paul who ran the hospital until the Revolution.
Browne%2C_Henriette_-_The_Sisters_of_Mercy_-_1859.JPG

^the distinctive headdress (cornette), abolished in 1964 in favour of a simple blue veil that earned the sisters their other nickname Les Oies de Bon Dieu (the Good Lord's Geese)^
[3] one of the first factories that installed steam powered machines (in 1820) in France. Henri's visit is symbolic - not just because he's interested in workers - since the factory was established by Cardinal Mazarin and there's a dedication on the entrance to Louis XIV (who, AFAIK, never visited the factory)
[4] Cunin-Gridain sat as minister of trade and agriculture in a nearly unbroken tenure from 1839 until 1848. He was a fervent Orléanist, supporter of freedom of the press and opposed to Charles X and Henri on principle. He was also the manager of the rival clothworks (Gros-Chiens) in Sedan
[5] Louis Moreau Gottschalk - the American composer - kicked off his European tour in Sedan in April 1846
[6] a soldier, engineer and agronomist, Berneaud became the curator of the Bibliothèque Mazarine in 1848. Berneaud was well-travelled, having visited Illyria, Greece, Egypt, the coasts of Mauritania. He was also the secretary of the Linnean Society for nearly a decade, wrote on yellow fever - expressing anti-contagionist opinions which then were adopted by most French doctors -and was involved in the study of the rural economy during most of Charles X's reign. In 1824-1826, he published "On the Education of Domestic Animals" (a treatise on animal breeding and healthcare), in 1829 "For the French Cultivator" (a treatise on cultivating the land to the most efficient means to derive the most possible benefits), revised in 1841; in 1833 a tract "In Praise of Abbé Rozier, the Restorer of French Agriculture" and most recently, in 1842, an Analytical and Critical Treatise on Dairy. Henri demonstrated an interest in farming and livestock in Hungary OTL, around this time, and with a far more "modern" education, it's not unthinkable that he would be interested in talking to Berneaud. As for Elizabeth Mikhailovna, if her mother was anything to go by, she's likely to have read all the works and formed opinions on them. Berneaud may have been anti-monarchist (in the spirit of Voltaire and Diderot), but I have no doubt that like those two encyclopedistes, he's a sucker for a free lunch. And perhaps, pleasantly surprised at how "well informed" the future king and queen are.
[7] Sidonie married François Jean Clary in April 1846. Henri likely has no intention of allowing Cunin-Gridaine's sinfully wealthy granddaughter to marry the wealthy Comte Clary. So it's a nice way of securing an inheritance (double, since her father is from the Talabot banking/railway dynasty of Limoges) for his bastard half-brother without costing him a cent. Also, it's a nice way of getting Cunin-Gridaine "on-side". The man has his uses. And I could easily see Henri playing Cunin-Gridaine and Bacot off against one another
[8] I can't find when Edmond Bacot took up photography, but he's most famous for his pictures of Victor Hugo in exile on Guernsey from 1852 OTL.

Last edited:
Great chapter and Glimpse onto Henri.
Thank you. Figure him reviving the ancien regime practice of endowing royal bastards is not likely to raise much comment from the aristocracy- after all, his mother DID promise to look after Berri's bastards as he lay dying. A promise that the entire court was likely aware of- while at the same time not letting it cost him a franc in terms of land/money. The industrialists get entrée to court in an equally Ancien Regime manner of "Savonette à vilains" (soap for serfs)[1] but don't swamp the place. Not to mention that Henri has a whole raft of half-siblings, nieces and nephews he can use à la Wydeville, to extend royal influence into the factories, railways, etc,while also wielding the license of "Manufacture Royal" like a whip.

This "visit" to Sedan is also Henri continuing his tour around France-he didn't really get further north than Brittany, showing himself. Bacot's photograph - and photography in general - does wonders for the crown, since it's not Henri talking to the owner, but rather the workers. Combined with his recent action against the labor unions on the side of the carpenters, it helps sell the image that the king is on the side of the little guy.

[1] rich bourgeois/bourgeois daughter would marry a poor nobleman/nobleman's daughter in order to gain entrée at Versailles (although the practice goes back to the Valois). Maximilian of Mexico's OTL disgusted/snobbish comment about the Belgian court "the nobility rub shoulders with their tailors" would likely have been equally horrified at Louis XIV/XV/XVI's Versailles [2].
[2] this is a lie the Revolution sold, and Metternich, Thiers and others ironically perpetuated. They created an image of an Ancien Regime autocracy [3] that didn't exist OTL in order to justify their behaviour. Charles X didn't dissolve the chambers to rule as an autocrat, he dissolved the chambers to summon the Estates (or whatever the higher body was called). Louis d'Angoulême saw through the Orléanist movement very quickly, commenting that "dynastic Légitimism is a doctrine that is compatible with every political class, even Republicans. The Orléanants have built a system that requires the king to protect a single political class/order". Henri that is often shown as dyed in the wool reactionary echoes this when he announced in 1848 and again in 1870 that he would be king of ALL France, not a political party.
[3] Louis XIV - an absolute monarch, potentially the absolute monarch par excellence - had less powers than Napoléon, just like Charles I had less powers than Cromwell.

Thank you. Figure him reviving the ancien regime practice of endowing royal bastards is not likely to raise much comment from the aristocracy- after all, his mother DID promise to look after Berri's bastards as he lay dying. A promise that the entire court was likely aware of- while at the same time not letting it cost him a franc in terms of land/money. The industrialists get entrée to court in an equally Ancien Regime manner of "Savonette à vilains" (soap for serfs)[1] but don't swamp the place. Not to mention that Henri has a whole raft of half-siblings, nieces and nephews he can use à la Wydeville, to extend royal influence into the factories, railways, etc,while also wielding the license of "Manufacture Royal" like a whip.

This "visit" to Sedan is also Henri continuing his tour around France-he didn't really get further north than Brittany, showing himself. Bacot's photograph - and photography in general - does wonders for the crown, since it's not Henri talking to the owner, but rather the workers. Combined with his recent action against the labor unions on the side of the carpenters, it helps sell the image that the king is on the side of the little guy.

[1] rich bourgeois/bourgeois daughter would marry a poor nobleman/nobleman's daughter in order to gain entrée at Versailles (although the practice goes back to the Valois). Maximilian of Mexico's OTL disgusted/snobbish comment about the Belgian court "the nobility rub shoulders with their tailors" would likely have been equally horrified at Louis XIV/XV/XVI's Versailles [2].
[2] this is a lie the Revolution sold, and Metternich, Thiers and others ironically perpetuated. They created an image of an Ancien Regime autocracy [3] that didn't exist OTL in order to justify their behaviour. Charles X didn't dissolve the chambers to rule as an autocrat, he dissolved the chambers to summon the Estates (or whatever the higher body was called). Louis d'Angoulême saw through the Orléanist movement very quickly, commenting that "dynastic Légitimism is a doctrine that is compatible with every political class, even Republicans. The Orléanants have built a system that requires the king to protect a single political class/order". Henri that is often shown as dyed in the wool reactionary echoes this when he announced in 1848 and again in 1870 that he would be king of ALL France, not a political party.
[3] Louis XIV - an absolute monarch, potentially the absolute monarch par excellence - had less powers than Napoléon, just like Charles I had less powers than Cromwell.
beautiful chapter, Henry showing up and being photographed in the middle of the lower class is good news (as well as continuing the journey to France, in line with the theme I will be the king of all France not only of Paris) nice that Elisabeth it's set well
eh finally someone who says this truth (Louis dreamed of Napoleon's powers some he couldn't even imagine, because not only did he have to keep the aristocracy under control (putting them against each other and removing them from their places of power to avoid strange ideas from their part but he also had to contend with the clergy (who did not completely obey him) instead the good Nappy did not have these problems because the revolution swept them away (or weakened them very much) true absolutism was possible in Protestant countries such as Prussia ( where even the church was subject to the will of the monarch).

it can be said that Henry became a frankish king with an intoning court eh 😁

Last edited:
or a question in Otl Nappy iii in 1863 I try a monetary union between the Latin countries (France, Spain, Italy and Belgium) to counter the English dominance and increase internal trade between the countries involved (but it fails due to the different cash currencies in circulation between the same countries as well as for an infinite series of internal protectionist rules) will we see Henry try something similar (perhaps with Spain and Habsburg Italy) ?

In the meantime, can you remove a doubt from me, that is, what is happening in Constantinople ( is the Tanzimat continuing without a hitch ?, we will see an Ottoman prince touring Europe long before Otl ( undertaken by the sultan Abdul Aziz in 63, with special shoes on his feet ....) what are your relations in Vienna and Paris with them now?

Last edited:
or a question in Otl Nappy iii in 1863 I try a monetary union between the Latin countries (France, Spain, Italy and Belgium) to counter the English dominance and increase internal trade between the countries involved (but it fails due to the different cash currencies in circulation between the same countries as well as for an infinite series of internal protectionist rules) will we see Henry try something similar (perhaps with Spain and Habsburg Italy) ?
I'm not sure. I think that for now, Henri and his uncle have got more on their plate like trying to "rebuild France" than meddling around abroad
In the meantime, can you remove a doubt from me, that is, what is happening in Constantinople ( is the Tanzimat continuing without a hitch ?, we will see an Ottoman prince touring Europe long before Otl ( undertaken by the sultan Abdul Aziz in 63, with special shoes on his feet ....) what are your relations in Vienna and Paris with them now?
The Ottoman Empire is proceding more or less as OTL. Although I imagine that Ismail Pasha making that tour in 1846 could certainly make the Ottomans think "well, we can't let them think we're backwards compared to the Egyptians". Particularly if the Egyptians were to be received favourably enough that it might spark some concerns that European support is shifting.

I'm not sure. I think that for now, Henri and his uncle have got more on their plate like trying to "rebuild France" than meddling around abroad

The Ottoman Empire is proceding more or less as OTL. Although I imagine that Ismail Pasha making that tour in 1846 could certainly make the Ottomans think "well, we can't let them think we're backwards compared to the Egyptians". Particularly if the Egyptians were to be received favourably enough that it might spark some concerns that European support is shifting.
ah ok good to know, is i meant later after they stabilize the situation in france while for the ottomans things get pretty bad if egypt gains support (although i think Vienna and London will support regardless the sublime porta ( Ottomans)
you know how they say best what i know that the unknown!)

Last edited:
Pax Vobiscum
Soundtrack: Francisco de Sá Noronha - Variações sobre um tema de "A Filha do Regimento" de Donizetti

*exterior* *Lisbon* *Queen Maria is driving in the streets with her children, uncle, stepmother and half-sister* *a person runs up to the side of the carriage* *the guards stiffen and try to intervene*
Person: your Majesty? Have you not heard? The conde de Tomar [1] has been assassinated!
Maria II: *to the driver* to the Palacio Cabral, I must-
D. Miguel: *looking at crowd gathering* disregard. Keep driving. *to Maria* the man is dead. There is nothing that you can do for him. To go there, Majesty, would show all of Europe that you are exactly as they accuse you of being [2].
Maria II: *viciously yanking her hand away from her uncle* I am the mistress here, not you uncle. Or perhaps you've forgotten that.
D. Miguel: I have not forgotten that. *patronizingly* I have not forgotten that Sebastião is currently in Porto dealing with the reaction to your Majesty's decisions [3].
Maria II: it would suit you, uncle, for me to do nothing-
Amélie de Beauharnais: *smiling reassuringly at the children [4]* your uncle is right, Marie. *you can hear from her tone that it took a lot for her to say this*
Maria II: next you will suggest I abdicate.
Amélie: no need for anything quite so drastic. But Tomar being removed can work in your Majesty's favour. You running to his side as he lies dying will not.
Maria II: so I am to leave a man unshriven and unattended.
D. Miguel: it is no less than he deserves. With his law about burials. [5]
Amélie: *rolls her eyes as if to say "just when we were getting along"*
Maria II: and you wish me to believe that you are not glad he is gone?
D. Miguel: I will not lie, your Majesty. Cabral has blamed me for the most heinous crimes that, were I still the king, he would not have a tongue left in his head to spout such calumnies. [6] I am glad the man is dead. Your aunt will be glad he is dead [7]. Your mother-in-law will be glad he is dead [8]. And I am under absolutely no illusions that whomever it was that assassinated him will somehow find themselves linked to me. But I assure your Majesty before the Virgin Mary herself, I had no part in it.

*cut to Porto* *we see various views of the city* *the Palacio da Bolsa (Bourse)* *the São Lazaro Gardens* *the Santo António Hospital* *suddenly the silence is shattered by an artillery salvo from the Serra do Pilar* *on horseback, looking every inch the general, D. Sebastião II, rides into the Praça da Batalha without a single bodyguard*
Sebastião II: *addressing the crowd* citizens of Porto! We are deeply distressed by your behaviour. We have shown you the greatest favour of all the cities in our kingdom. The heart of our beloved uncle [9] rests in your city!
*murmuring from the crowd*
Sebastião II: the very queen, let us recall, that you yourselves fought against ourselves to keep! Has your change of heart been as drastic and permanent as mine? That you would now set your faces against her? To side with anarchy and calumny against her rule [10]!
*couple of shouts from the crowd* *things like "Down with Cabral!" are heard from the crowd
Sebastião II: *holds up hand for silence* we have heard your complaints. And Heaven has answered them: the source of your ills is dead. The conde de Tomar was murdered this morning as he stepped from his carriage. It is a tragedy to imagine that there will be those rumours circulating that will say that you had a part in this. That the murderer was one of your men.
*crowd is silent now* *shifting uncomfortably*
Sebastião II: we will defend your complaints, Porto, to her Majesty, but we will not defend this deed. No matter our own sentiments regarding the conde, a man who rose this morning in the flush of health, now stands before St. Peter. The villain responsible will be caught and punished. As we would demand he be were that assassin to strike any one of you!
*crowd seems to be mulling this over*
Sebastião II: now go, return to your homes in peace. Remember the Queen and my children in your prayers. And let us all pray for wisdom for whomever it may be who shoulders the mantle. *quietly to himself* Lord knows, the conde had none.

*fade to black*

[1] this would be Antonio Bernardo da Costa Cabral, the prime minister since 1842. He's been the cause of much of the unrest leading to the so-called Maria da Fonte Revolt since March 1846. The revolt was driven by a lot of the constitutionalist vs conservative resentment, exacerbated by the potato famine, drought, the government tightening tax control and military recruitment laws
[2] namely, to close to the Cabrals. The ministers actually attempted to pressure her to abdicate between 20 April and 17 May 1846 in the hopes of heading off the insurrection
[3] OTL, this Cabral's brother who was sent to Porto to "do what he could" after the cities of Porto and Santarém both broke into open revolt. Miguel is telling her that "we can't use the same line of thinking to solve a problem as we did what caused the problem in the first place"
[4] Maria II's children are: Maria Leopoldina (b.1837), Pedro Diogo (b.1838), Francisco Affonso (b.1840), Luiz Henrique (b.1842) and Isabel Vitoria (b.1844). The names are her mom, her dad and St. James (as in the Order of St. James of the Sword), Frankie, Afonso de Albuquerque, Louise and Henri d'Artois, Isabel II of Spain, Sebastião and Maria's joint ancestress, Mariana Vittoria of Spain (not Queen Victoria)
[5] the spark that lit the Maria da Fonte Revolt was that it was prohibited to bury the dead in churches, but also, a local health commissioner actually had to view the body to pronounce and record the death, then the family had to pay a burial fee as well. One can understand that, in a weak economy, that this could turn into a spool that breaks the camel's back
[6] OTL Cabral attempted to blame D. Miguel in a speech to the Chambers: "there is a permanent conspiracy against current institutions, against the established order, and hidden hands that manage these conspiracies". Here, Miguel's return to Portugal just before the revolt started makes him a convenient scapegoat, even if Sebastião marrying Maria has diluted the Miguelist support some
[7] D. Isabel, the former Regent and Maria's surrogate mother
[8] Sebastião's mom, the Princess of Beira
[9] Emperor Pedro I's heart is buried in Porto's Church of Our Lady of Lapa, as per his last request, in honour of the contribution that the citizens of Porto had made towards the cause of Maria II in the Liberal Wars
[10] Sebastião has an advantage playing the repentant rebel who has seen the error of his ways here. Plus, sending the arsonist to put out the fire (like Maria II did OTL by sending Cabral), not really a brilliant idea. I doubt that Cabral's murder and Sebastião's speech will miraculously put an end to the revolution (after all, the causes are still there), but it might buy the government time. Not to mention, her stepmother, uncle and husband here might hopefully guide Maria II to a successor for Cabral that doesn't lead to eight months of civil war as OTL

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā) @Nuraghe @renard_ @JustinTexas @monteirobert @RedAquilla @ToasterOven456