oh, you smug pricks. if you think all that Frankie has been workign towards will be undone by that mediocre king orleans, you are in for a rude awekening!

oh, you smug pricks. if you think all that Frankie has been workign towards will be undone by that mediocre king orleans, you are in for a rude awekening!
I suspect it was Friedrich August II who recommended to his stepmom she go visit her brother in Italy. Case of saw how she was making things... difficult. Then the woman gets to Lucca - where they no doubt hate Frankie's mom for taking Parma from them and Clémentine d'Orléans is the duke's daughter-in-law - and she heard all this. She might not LIKE her cousins or Clémentine, but she's had a long road from Frankfurt to sit alone in a carriage and spin all sorts of theories about how evil he is.

As for their "gossip" about Amélie/Sophie/Mariaan of the Netherlands, the duchess of Cadiz refused to speak to her sister after the news broke about the latter's marriage with Munoz. She did the same with the Comte Lucchesi-Palli and her mother's toyboy, It's a woman who cannot believe that Amélie really is someone "deserving" of a golden rose because no other royal woman she knows is capable of such restraint. And how dare a "commoner" like Amélie do it better than people who are to the manor born? Again, her cutting her daughter off is also OTL, and there Comte Gurowski did sorta do what she accused Poniatowski of doing. Amelia to Württemberg is also not unlikely - especially if she bears as strong a resemblance to the late Marie as Ferdinand de Chartres bears to Frankie/Henri - but Cadiz robs her of all agency by believing that Belita or Amelia could've been the one to decide this. And Amelia might have seen the way that Württemberg looks at her, realize that the proposals are drying up and not be a fan of joining a convent, so she decides to leverage his late wife's memory. It sounds despicable until you remember that that's how Frankie's grandfather chose his third wife (in a griefstricken haze) and how Konstantin Nikolaïevich chose his wife (Alexandrine of Altenburg), because she reminded him of his deceased sister, Adini

Furchtlos und Treu [a]
Soundtrack: Carlo Evasio Soliva - Overture to Elena e Malvina

*interior of a carriage* *Grand Duchess Charlotte is sitting in the seat* *there's a little boy [1] seated alongside her*
Charlotte: Lyosha [2], don't fuss so. We're almost there.
Lyosha: *typical ten-year-old on a roadtrip* that's what you said hours ago, mama.
Charlotte: it was ten minutes ago when you asked that last time.
Lyosha: Marusha keeps talking about *disgustedly* Frants like that so it feels longer [3]
Marie: *looks venomously at her mother* we should've left you in Prague then, you little-
Charlotte: *mom tone* that's enough. We've exhausted the topic.
Marie: I don't see why we had to come with, Mama. Surely we could've stayed in Vienna and you could've come along to Stuttgart alone.
Charlotte: because they're your cousins, Marie. You should know them better than you do.
Lyosha: *eagerly* look! soldiers! *looks out of windows*
Marie: that's Prince Adam's dragoons [4].
Charlotte: coming out to meet us, no doubt.

*cut to Stuttgart* *we see sights around the city before we cut to King Wilhelm's study* *Charlotte is there, so are Alexander and Peter of Oldenburg [5]*
Wilhelm: *irritably* so it's not enough that he's gallivanting around Italy with my sons, now he wants me to forgive my brother-in-law for thinking with his cock?
Charlotte: a mistake that, no doubt, many men have made, sir.
Wilhelm: and are we to pretend, cousin, that your own absence from St. Petersburg has little to do with your husband's own-
Charlotte: indiscretions, uncle? Not all of us are the duke of Reichstadt's woman that we will accept our husband's infidelity with such good grace. I saw no reason to dignify my husband's behaviour with my presence.
Wilhelm: but you're willing to act as Reichstadt's lackey?
Charlotte: not a lackey, sir. I simply mentioned that my next stop after Prague would be Stuttgart to see my father. The duke simply asked me to convey his congratulations on Prince Eberhard's birthday, as well as that your daughter in Greece is once more pregnant.
Wilhelm: and then ask me to forgive my brother-in-law?
Charlotte: *trying a different tack* he has also asked for your Majesty to consider re-instating the alliance treaty that existed between Württemberg and Venice before the last war [6] and in exchange, he will gladly allow the duke to stay in Venice- or Florence, whichever he prefers- rather than trouble your doorway
Wilhelm: last I checked, Venice was under his grandfather's rule, not his. So he'd have no right to prevent Sandro from settling there, even if he wished.
Charlotte: that may be, Majesty, but I'd rather doubt that the emperor - kind and gracious though he may be - would be so inclined to allow it if his grandson were to oppose it. That is the reason Prince Metternich fell as he did to be replaced by Count Kolowrat.
Wilhelm: and if I were to refuse, tell him that I have no wish to honour an alliance treaty that would bring me little. What would he do?
Charlotte: nothing sir. He would simply speed Sandro and his new bride on their way to your loving arms, Majesty.
Wilhelm: which of course would mean that the king of the French will use that nice shiny army of his that he is building to threaten me into giving over Sandro's son.
Charlotte: your Majesty is right to be concerned. Even when my children and I left Saint Petersburg they were murmuring about it. Stroking their chins as you do now sir. Wondering if the French king is truly amassing forces for General Bugeaud's plans in Algiers, or if he has other...more Rhenish notions in mind. His recent conclusions of an agreement with Prussia unsettled my dear sister [in law, the czarina] so. When she should be looking forward to the birth of her first grandchild?
Alexander: Therese [of Nassau] has heard from her brother that the Dutch are looking at the mutual defense treaty of Binche between Belgium and France from last August in a different light thanks to news of the French king's promises at Tournai last month. Even if King Leopold is irritating the French by delaying them until this drama in Westminster plays out.
Charlotte: what drama? The queen's pregnancy?
Wilhelm: with the English, the word Westminster and money are usually synonymous. My father waited on them for years to pay my [step]mother's dowry. I fear the queen's pregnancy has somewhat...obscured matters.
Charlotte: how so?
Peter: with the birth of the queen's child approaching, there is the question of who should be regent were she to-
Wilhelm: emulate her cousin, the Princess Charlotte, but leaves a surviving heir.
Charlotte: surely the duke of Kendal will then be regent for his child.
Peter: therein lies the problem. With his talk of money and economies in the family, he made himself somewhat unpopular in parliament. But now with the prospect of him being regent for roughly the next two decades, as much as politicians are unwilling to upset the apple cart regarding finances, there are many who do not wish to make such a prospective enemy by dismissing his request.
Wilhelm: which, with all Englishmen, means they will equivocate and prevaricate. They are already demanding that the matter of financing be considered separately. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't. On the one hand you've got a prince who makes several valid points - my mother used to tell how that money they were given was never enough even back then - but you don't want him to be too rich and regent of the realm. On the other hand, they don't want to agree to it, and then the unfortunate happens and they wind up with the king of Hannover as king of England. The queen is insisting that her husband be regent, Parliament is trying to force her to accept the dukes of Cambridge or Sussex.
Alexander: The Dutch may have a point when they say that King Leopold is playing a waiting game before he jumps in. He has no fondness for his niece and nephew since they, for want of a better term, cut him off. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's planning on seeing if his niece and nephew won't be more...generous...once the funds are at their disposal. That they will able to play it as "restoring" to him what he so nobly sacrificed on behalf of his nephew.
Charlotte: and you think they will?
Wilhelm: I think he will try to twist their arm. Bernhard [of Weimar] tells me that there is already some talk in certain circles of how wronged he was by being deprived of English support.
Charlotte: but your tone, uncle, says you doubt it?
Wilhelm: why shouldn't I? If the English cull the allowances of my mother's brothers to give her more, they will not look kindly on her taking that and spending it in Brussels. Not to mention that I do not think they are as enamoured of their uncle as he believes them to be. After he made every attempt to sabotage the suggestion of Karl for the queen, she now writes to me suggesting her cousin, the Princess Louisa Ernestine of Hannover [7] for him.
Charlotte: *half approvingly* my, she does work fast. When we left Saint Petersburg, la belle Hanovrienne [8] was being offered for the czarevich.
Alexander: unfortunately "la Belle Hanovrienne" was no match for Amelise [9] of Hesse.
Charlotte: and you would accept such a marriage? Knowing how the mother is?
Wilhelm: the offer was broached last year at Frankfurt already. Either Ernst's son marries Katharina, or Louisa marries Karl. But then along came your brother-in-law and proposed his son for Louisa. Ernst didn't think much of the idea but agreed to let him "look". Unfortunately, he met the Hessian girl first.
Charlotte: so back to the Karl-Louisa idea.
Wilhelm: if he likes her. Otherwise Katharina could hardly do worse than the cousin to the queen of England and the king of Prussia.
Charlotte: am I to take that as an indication you will not hear the duke of Reichstadt out, uncle?
Wilhelm: you can take it however you damned well please, Lolotte. At the moment, I have no desire to forgive my brother-in-law's...rash behaviour. Whether he remains in Naples, joins your father in Paris or takes up residence in Timbuktu is of little concern to me.
Peter: sir, if I may...if Cousin Alexander remains in Naples, it is one thing, but were he to move to Venice or Vienna - both of which Aunt Charlotte has mentioned, the French king could view that as you siding with Austria anyway. And use that to-
Wilhelm: *tiredly* invade. And if I allow him back, and support Sandro's defiance, he'll invade.

*fade to black*

[a] motto of the house of Württemberg: translates as "Fearless and Faithful" or "Brave and True"
[1] in some sources, her 1831 pregnancy is listed as "Alexander", not "Alexandra", so we're going with that. Why's he with Mamushka instead of back in St. Petersburg? Because Grand Duke Mikhail was many things, "parent" was not one of those things. Considering that even Czar Nikolai took her side against her husband OTL, she's been allowed to take the little boy along.
[2] Russian diminutive for Alexei. Due to the aforementioned "glut" of people with the name Alexander, I decided to go with something different. Was going to go with Georg, until I remembered there's like ten of those as well.
[3] Lyosha's disgust is that of a little boy who still finds the idea of kissing disgusting, rather than actively disliking Frankie
[4] All of Mikhail Pavlovich's daughters were well-schooled in matters of military dress and signals etc. In fact, he used to often use them as an example to an officer who he pulled up short. The Adam mentioned is Queen Pauline's half-brother, and the adjutant to Czar Nikolai. This regiment of dragoons later became Queen Olga's dragoons in the 1840s
[5] Alexander survives his 1829 death (not sure what killed him OTL). And he's the one married to Therese of Nassau instead of Peter. Both men apparently had decent relationships with their stepfather OTL, Peter was even left stuff in Wilhelm's will (that caused a scandal by leaving nothing for his wife)
[6] since 1687 until the Fall of the Venetian Republic, Württemberg had a "deal" with the Republic to supply two regiments (one infantry, one cavalry). The dukes and the Württemberger diet had nearly as perennial a conflict over a standing army as the king of England and Parliament. By "hiring" their regiments out to other countries (France, Denmark, the Dutch and Venetian Republics, Austria, most of the troops that the prince-bishop of Würzburg was obliged to provide for Imperial service were actually Württembergers), the duke ensured that they were being paid, and trained and that he was paid a lump sum in return that he didn't have to keep asking the Diet to raise money. While the state of Württemberg might not seem like much, in January 1815 Frederick I was able to call a "standing" army of 112 thousand soldiers (quality of those soldiers is open to debate) where Prussia was only able to provide 50 000 for Waterloo.
[7] another one of those changes which wouldn't affect the running of things - even if Cumberland had had a surviving daughter in April 1818 (OTL the girl was stillborn), it won't affect the Kents' marriage in May 1818. She's named Louise for the late queen of Prussia as well as Louise of Anhalt (who married Ernst's stepson in 1817), Ernestine for her father
[8] given how beautiful her mother and aunt were when younger, I honestly don't think it's unlikely that Ernst August's daughter is the Welf family beauty (and I could see Victoria hating her for this)
[9] elder daughter of Ludwig II of Hesse-Darmstadt and his wife, Wilhelmine. Died in 1826. Here, she's the one to catch Alexander's interest instead.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @nandalf @Lascaris @pandizzy @Aghasverov

Frankie: they're not whores. Their father is the economist, Friedrich List. He came to Vienna just before I came back to Venice. To see to the bank in my home on the Strauchgaße. I guess that that's where it happened.
Amélie: you guess? Its pretty clear what happened, Frank.
Not entirely, even after the explanation.

As I read it:

The two women are Elise List and her sister. (Why the sister?)

The two children are the bastard children of Henri de Bordeaux, by Elise List and by Countess Caroline von Holnstein. (There's a typo there, BTW.) Frankie has accepted paternity of both children to spare Henri's aunt embarrassment.

Henri isn't going to recognize the kid, which means not only will Holnstein have to shoulder the costs of the upbringing but will have to tolerate being known as a cuckold.
Wouldn't Holstein be known as a cuckold if Henri does recognize the child? (typo again)

Little Boy Blue Come Blow Your Horn
Soundtrack: Charles Louis Hanssens - Violin Concerto no. 1 in D Major

*exterior* *Brussels* *former palace of the Prince of Orange has just been opened as the Académie Royal des Médecin de Belgique* *King Leopold climbs into the coach* *next to him is seated Queen Louise*
Louise: *her body language is stiff* *like they've just had or about to have an argument*
Leopold: I think this will be a great boost to Belgium. Can't have that damned little Bonaparte being the only one who is starting hospitals. *looks at Louise* for the love of God, smile, woman. Wave to the people. Let them see that we're happy. *dutifully smiles and waves*
Louise: *obligingly does so as the coach starts moving*
Leopold: *takes some letters out of his coat pocket* *settles back in to read them* let's see what Albert has to say. I might not approve of that friendship of his with Bonaparte, but it has its uses.
Louise: that's all people are to you, Léopold. Oranges to be sucked dry until only the rind remains. My father wanted your support and you hung him out to keep him waiting because you need to look what your precious nephew is doing instead of for our son.
Leopold: *ignoring her as he reads* *shocked tone* by God, the boy has done it! He actually got those stingy old misters to return some of the crown estates to him *gleefully looks up at roof of coach* just like Charlotte and I wanted to do all those years ago. Oh, how many times I wished when Victoria was a child for this day.
Louise: *ironically* and if you cared as much for our son's inheritance as you do for your niece's, Belgium would rule the world.
Leopold: and he even thaf he will do what he can about matters relating directly to me. *carriage stops at royal palace* *kisses Louise's cheek* now I shall see your father's envoy.
Louise: thank you *her posture relaxes*
Leopold: you are right, you know, the Coburg will rule the world. I'm already broaching the matter of Catherine marrying the crown prince in Portugal. And opened negotiations with Spain for the Infanta Luisa for little Leopold. It's not the Spanish match I hoped for, for August, but don't ever accuse me of not looking my family's interests.

*cut to the next day* *Leopold is sitting at the table with former president of the Belgian Sénat and current ambassador to Sardinia, Stassart; as well as the Prussian ambassador, Heinrich von Arnim*
Leopold: *to van Arnim* I trust you will convey our most sincere congratulations to her Royal Highness, Princess Wilhelm on the birth of her second daughter [1]. I have every hope that should my niece in England give birth to a son, the young girl may look forward to a future as princess of Wales and then queen of England. And should it be a princess royal, that Prince Wilhelm's son may look no further for a bride. So that Prussia may know the firmness and devotion that we of Coburg bear towards the great Hohenzollerns. *hands piece of paper to Armin*
Arnim: your Majesty is most kind.
Stassart: *puts piece of paper in front of Leopold while taking another from Armin* these are the basic terms that thr that the king of France is offering, your Majesty. That the grand duchy of Luxembourg as well as the remainder of Brabant shall be made over to the kingdom of Belgium. The port of Antwerp shall be returned to the kingdom [2] of Belgium. In exchange, your Majesty will commit [Insert number] troops towards his Majesty's campaigns in the Rhineland, along with conquests in the Bavarian Palatinate, Oldenburg, Lichtenburg and Homburg. To Prussia, in return for her loyal friendship, and her pledging of [Insert number] troops, rewards shall be given in Nassau, Hesse, Brunswick and G öttingen as well as freedom of the ports of Bremen, Hamburg and Lubeck, the dismantling of the King of Hannover's customs union. To the king of Sardinia shall go the territories of the kingdom of Lombardy, the duchies of Parma, Modena and the March of the Romagna. In exchange for surrendering Parma, the kingdom of Etruria shall be restored to include the duchy of Lucca, the duchy of Spoleto and the island of Sicily. In exchange, the king of the French pledges to wage unceasing war on Austria and her allies until the Habsburg are driven from Italy and cease their support for this pretender, Napoléon le Deuxième, dit the duke of Reichstadt dit [lists a few more of Frankie's aliases] and that he is brought to justice for his murder of Comte Léon, his kidnapping of Ludwig von Wirtembourg, grandson of the king of the French, his destruction of the harmony under which Europe has functioned since 1815. That he is either to be exiled to Saint Helena or executed for his crimes as a panel of his judges deems fit. Austria shall then also be made to pay remuneration for all the damages the called Reichstadt has inflicted on countless sufferers should his own fortune be insufficient.
*all three sign their copies* *then swap sheets again*

*cut to Leopold getting into his coach* *before he can shut the door, a messenger arrives with a letter for him*
*he accepts* *then climbs in* *settles back as the coach drives off*
Leopold: ah, Victoria, what a garden I am building for your children to play in. *opens letter*
Victoria voice-over: to my dearest and most beloved uncle, I am writing to inform you of the splendid triumph that my darling Albert has won in the house of Lords. Not only has the return of parts of the Crown Estate to direct royal control been granted, but also money's from the post office, customs and even some from the Most Honorable India Company in exchange for lands from the Estate which could not be returned. And the victory won by such a narrow margin as seven votes! But as in life, after triumph comes tragedy. Parliament has so constrained royal expenditure of those moneys as to order the Crown to thus be responsible for the salaries of men throughout the ministries of civil government, also the appointment and dismissal of judges is to be by royal discretion, although the judges themselves are to be recommended by the houses of parliament. The crown is also to be responsible for these men's salaries. There are other constraints on our spending almost without number so that I wonder would it not have been better for Albert to simply leave matters as they were and we would muddle along somehow. But in happier news, they have finally agreed to appoint my darling angel as sole regent for in the event that I should be unable to exercise the functions of monarch either due to my current condition or to decease. Naturally, this will come with such conditions as to make it completely impossible to acquiesce to such matters as returning Camelford House, Claremont House, or Longwood House [3] to your custodians. It will also place Albert in a frightfully compromised position were we to grant your petition for the restoration of your allowance or even your requests that we join in the French king's clear folly in the Rhineland when there would be little interest or benefit for us to do so. Adieu, dear uncle. I hope you will think kindly of your devoted niece and darling nephew who should never have found such happiness and contentment as we have had it not been for your hand guiding us. Ever-loving Victoria R.
Leopold: *goes absolutely white* *clutches letter as though about to tear it in two*

*fade to black*

[1] Auguste of Weimar had two miscarriages in 1841/1842 and 1843
[2] Frankie's Treaty of Middleburg may have deliberately left out the Antwerp question or ordered it to be returned to the Dutch. Not with the intent of creating a casus belli but it becomes pretty difficult to take a province (Limburg) away and give them some underdeveloped land in Luxembourg that Belgium isn't using anyway without compromising your impartiality.
[3] a few miles from Claremont in Surrey, bought by Leopold for his morganatic second wife, Countess Montgomery (Caroline Bauer). The woman found Leopold such a bore, that when Stockmar approached her requesting she sign a quittance and agree to an annulment, the woman even returned Leopold's gifts of jewelry in her eagerness to be done with him.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @nandalf @Lascaris @pandizzy @Aghasverov

Yes! Albert has scored victories in the name of the crown and will continue to do so!

And at the same time saved the UK from the mess that Orleans will cause, Poor Leo will scramble to reach for a solution to these news.

Not entirely, even after the explanation.

As I read it:

The two women are Elise List and her sister. (Why the sister?)
Elise and Emilie List were sort of a package item, OTL. Even Klara Schumann (another friend of theirs, and who's daughter, Julie, was Elise's goddaughter/foster daughter) commented on it.
The two children are the bastard children of Henri de Bordeaux, by Elise List and by Countess Caroline von Holnstein. (There's a typo there, BTW.) Frankie has accepted paternity of both children to spare Henri's aunt embarrassment.
Bingo. Also for other reasons in the explanation
Wouldn't Holstein be known as a cuckold if Henri does recognize the child? (typo again)
Cuckold to a king is one thing (as Athénaïs de Montes pan's husband found out) since there's a certain "honour" to it. Being a cuckold to an exiled pretender who isn't even willing to pony up for his kid's expenses is another (TBF this may be due to the fact that Henri has very limited funds, it's why his marriage to Maria Teresa d'Este was arranged, and why Caroline of Salerno's mom refused OTL, he's essentially no better off than Bonnie Prince Charles was at the end of his life. Not sure where Henri got his premarriage money OTL, but here his Cardinal-Duke of York analogue who just quietly went on covering Charlie's debts, is Reichstadt. Henri's aunt and uncle might get a pension from Vienna, much like D. Miguel and the Carlists did OTL, but they have expenses of their own, and Henri probably only gets an allowance from that. Same for his mom)

Oh this is gonna be fun.

Be funny, if after all of this, The Austrians and friends make Frankie King of Italy.

Oh, thats for sure

Well, Ferdinand is king of Lombardy already, and the kingdom of Sicily is in the south. Would King of an independent Corsica work :winkytongue:
Nope. All of Italy or nothing at all.

Tbf, After this war, it might dawn on the Austrians that Italy is so not worth it and they happen to have this Italian based, former King of Rome, half-breed Habsburg whose related to them, and most of the other italian rulers about, who wants nothing more than stability around and think "Hrmmm....."

Yes! Albert has scored victories in the name of the crown and will continue to do so!
First I imagine he's gotta use that accountant brain of his to disentangle that mess of the Crown Estate to be able to get it functional. I have no idea in what state it was, but I imagine parliament hasn't been too interested in how its running so long as there IS money coming out of it.
And at the same time saved the UK from the mess that Orleans will cause, Poor Leo will scramble to reach for a solution to these news.
Think he's just realized he might've bought a pig in a poke. True, if France wins, he wins, but if France loses, he's shattered any and all credibility. Mostly because the UK can wade in at some point and say "time to pick up your toys and go to bed, kids"

First I imagine he's gotta use that accountant brain of his to disentangle that mess of the Crown Estate to be able to get it functional. I have no idea in what state it was, but I imagine parliament hasn't been too interested in how its running so long as there IS money coming out of it.
Yep, many reforms for him to do are at hand.

Think he's just realized he might've bought a pig in a poke. True, if France wins, he wins, but if France loses, he's shattered any and all credibility. Mostly because the UK can wade in at some point and say "time to pick up your toys and go to bed, kids"
And France will definitely lose, yep, Uk will make the best out of the resulting fiasco.

Tbf, After this war, it might dawn on the Austrians that Italy is so not worth it and they happen to have this Italian based, former King of Rome, half-breed Habsburg whose related to them, and most of the other italian rulers about, who wants nothing more than stability around and think "Hrmmm....."
Its not a bad idea. In theory. But I guess it depends if they win or get curbstomped like they did in the First Italian War of Independence OTL. France has been pretty much permanently at war in Algeria since Charles X's reign. Austria - for all the reforms Frankie might have encouraged in the military - hasn't fought a full scale war since 1815 (neither has Prussia, and Belgium's army is only just getting started), their repressions in Naples in the 1820s and North Italy in the 1830s not really being against anything more than rabble. Closest Austria would've gotten to fighting an actual western style military are the regiments that fought in the Middle East during the campaign against Muhammed Ali. Which means that France's troops' tactics are at least better (in theory).

I'm actually struggling to find info on how big of an army either could field in 1840 OTL, so if anyone can provide figures, that'd be great.

Oh, thats for sure

Well, Ferdinand is king of Lombardy already, and the kingdom of Sicily is in the south. Would King of an independent Corsica work :winkytongue:

The kingdom of Italy historically is limited to North Italy (and maybe the upper part of Center Italy) and nothing more so Papal States and the kingdom of Sicily are excluded by default

Yes Bertie!
Why can I see that parliament kicked those salary things over to him as a preventitive measure to keep the king from squandering it on the continent. Or else knowing that there isn't enough and soon Bertie will be discredited when he can't pay salaries. And he'll be begging Parliament to take it back as he and Victoria's family expands.

The kingdom of Italy historically is limited to North Italy (and maybe the upper part of Center Italy) and nothing more so Papal States and the kingdom of Sicily are excluded by default
Fair point