I wonder how Louis Philippe is going to react to this! He loses his daughter and now he can’t meet his grandson.
This was a beautifully written chapter.
And Marie died of pulmonary tuberculosis after she gave birth IOTL.

Last edited:
Did Marie die from complications of childbirth, then? Or was she already sick?
She already had consumption (it was why she was in Pisa) when she got pregnant OTL. Here, the childbirth is what "finishes" her, as it were. Whereas OTL she died 6 months later,her pregnancy is timed slightly different here so she's already pretty far advanced.

Figured, if I changed her husband to the OTL Duke of Teck's dad, his wife also died horribly, although there are three accounts of her death: first, she suffered a miscarriage or a traumatic (breech) birth and died due to lack of adequate medical attention. The second is that she was on her way to Pettau when her carriage took a turn too sharply and she was flung into a roadside ditch,dying a week later from her injuries (which included a broken back and severe blood loss due to a miscarriage, delay in the doctor arriving) . The third version is that she was attending a cavalry review when her horse spooked, threw her... And she landed under the hooves of the regiment being reviewed (no mention of birth or miscarriage) . Any of the three is horrific enough. Especially since versions 1&3 her husband was forced to stand by watching helplessly

Water Water Everywhere But Not A Drop To Drink
Soundtrack: Bernhard Henrik Crusell: Clarinet Concerto no. 1, E-flat Major

*exterior* *Sansovino's Biblioteca Marciana* *a pile of Venetian newspapers is delivered to the Piazza de San Marco* *announcing that the Arsenale is launching a new ship, the Neriene[1]* *according to the subscript, the Neriene will be the first Austrian ship with a "new type" of hygrometer* *although one can see from the look of the crowd buying the newspaper that they're "disgusted" that the inventor of this hygrometer is a Tuscan*
Venetian: Tuscany doesn't even have a navy! *tosses the newspaper aside* *the paper falls on the ground and also notifies us of the death of Princess Charlotte Bonaparte, King Joseph's daughter and Monsieur Louis Napoléon's wife[2]*
*vignette of the funeral held in Santa Maria della Salute for the Princess* *we see Frankie, her widower, parents, father-in-law, sister and two brothers-in-law in attendance* *unlike Madame Mère's funeral, this one is more restrained* *more Bonaparte only affair* *although there are several members of the Frohsdorf court who have married into the family present*
*after the service* *Frankie climbs into a covered gondola* *takes place opposite his uncles* *neither of whom look well pleased with him*
Frankie: The way you stare at me, Uncles, one would swear I've sprouted a second head.
Joseph: *coldly* it would be an improvement.
Frankie: one I am sure would drive me absolutely insane. After all, look how much trouble me just having one causes.
Joseph: excluding Jérôme from the funeral was unnecessary
Frankie: I didn't exclude him. He wrote to me asking me to pay for his travel from Trieste. I told him to stay there then.
Louis: you dare-
Frankie: *rolls his eyes* yes, I dare, Uncle. Your Emperor dares. I arrange a marriage for him - one he wanted - for his eldest two children, to some of the highest names in France, and you know what he tells me? Mathilde deserves a prince. A son of King Pear, at least. Maybe the tsetsarevich - who, to be entirely frank, I was not impressed by - so he could remind of the tsar of his promise about a kingdom as compensation for Westphalia. His wife, the Queen, controls his income, and yet he still begs me for money because he will not ask her. *to Joseph* by the way, we are very grateful to you, Uncle that you brought Little Bo to meet his grandmother*
Joseph: his grandmother was...most insistent that the boy be "educated properly".
Frankie: I have no doubt she was.
Louis: *spluttering* that's all you have to say? After your...disgraceful behaviour towards my son, your father would never-
Frankie: ah...uncle...wasn't it always you who never believed that Monsieur Charles was your son to begin with?
Louis: your father didn't agree.
Frankie: nor did the pope. Or the Austrian emperor. And evidently, the king of France given that lovely new title I've managed to acquire for your sons, Uncle Louis. Monsieur Louis is to be comte de Saint-Leu, Monsieur Charles is to be comte de Triel-
Louis: empty titles.
Frankie: you know, her late Majesty calling this family of "pit of vipers" was really too kind. If this gondola were to sink right now and we all were to drown in this canal I have no doubt Europe would breathe a sigh of relief. Both are to be received at Frohsdorf. Anybody who dares question my devotion to this family need only look at how I've endeavoured to shield them from scandal and opprobrium by acquiring for them the veneer of nobility my father so desperately sought. The Bonaparte name is now tied to Craon's new daughter - so Tante Elisa's family will live on - Mathilde is pregnant with Crussol's heir. Your granddaughter, Uncles, will be princesse de Polignac. The only thing that would have made this better would be if the late duc de Richelieu had married and had children. *more as an aside* Think what a sight that would've been...a Richelieu's brains with a Bonaparte's military talent. -still, the current duc [3] is not married, perhaps there's still time.
Joseph: perhaps your Majesty should marry...
Frankie: I already have one wife who's more than I can handle.
Joseph&Louis: *visibly shocked*
Frankie: my work. What I've accomplished...those are my children.
Joseph: *tightly* I was hoping your Majesty would opt for a less...philosophical approach-
Frankie: of course, one sees suitable princesses lining up all around the block to marry me. But since you seem to be so eager, Uncle, then you clearly don't mind waiving the mourning so that Monsieur Ch- I mean the Comte de Triel- can marry.
Joseph: who would want to marry him?
Frankie: his mother arranged it before she regrettably passed. And if we keep up the mourning, Madame Mère, Queen Hortense, beloved Charlotte...her father will lose interest and marry her elsewhere.
Joseph: who did your Majesty have in mind? Some obliging princess of Furstembourg- I heard your Majesty is quite esconced with the Prince.
Frankie: the duc de Padoue's daughter, Marie Louise.[4]
Louis: she's hardly suitable for a prince, even an illegitimate one!
Frankie: Uncle...while your son is a gentleman of the first waters, and has more tact than either of you combined to be used in delicate negotiations...he is a second son, worse, a second son with two nephews in front of him and nothing to inherit aside from what his grandmother left him. Which means that rather than marrying well, he'd do better to marry rich. And to a girl who will be so dazzled by her good fortune at being able to marry him she will overlook qualities where he is...sadly lacking-
Louis: *irritably* and what qualities are those?
Frankie: he's a skirt chaser. Not a bad man, but among the ladies - and their fathers and husbands - in town he has a...reputation. Him being married will hopefully at least put somewhat of a damper on those -opens window of gondola* what do you think?
Joseph&Louis: *both look out*
Louis: its a well.
Frankie: *sarcastically* well spotted, Uncle. Do you know where Venice gets its water from, Uncles?
Joseph: *blank* lower a bucket into the canal?
Louis: its salt water Bepe [5]. You'll get sick or go mad if you drink it.
Frankie: *gives look like "gold star for you"* this was actually the comte de Triel's idea. See...he found out that for all my father's...*distastefully* vision in giving Paris water...he closed down nearly two hundred wells in Venice. We have no idea if he planned anything...like a new aqueduct. And Prince Maximilien [de Beauharnais] is unaware that his father did when we consulted his papers. Although much was sadly lost after that idiot Murat popped early as a virgin visiting a whorehouse...so who knows?
*Closes window and gondola moves on*
Frankie: in Spain, the comte de Montizon, encountered among the carbonari I sent...a man who had some remarkable ideas for well...much... like the new hygrographs I plan for each new ship to possess. Best thimg is that they can be made from the stays of a woman's old corset[6]-
Joseph: when he babbles like this he reminds me of Nabuilon [7].
Louis: *nods*
Frankie: and one of Monsieur Meucci's other interests is water supply. In Spain, he was involved with improving the water supply in several of the larger metropolises, such as Madrid, Barcelona, Pamplona, Cadix and Seville[8]. *innocently to Joseph* did you ever try such a plan Uncle? Or were you too busy closing down convents and running for your life?
Louis: *snorts at how Joseph makes like a guppy trying to answer*
Frankie: anyhow, Monsieur Meucci was kind enough to correspond with Trel to discuss ideas for how not only to improve the city's water supply, but also to improve the water quality...he's done some- *airy wave of his hand* some studies on the quality of water and found that it's too much this way and not enough that way. I can't remember exactly, lots of words that sounded the same. -and, when this project is finished, Venice will have one of the most efficient water supply systems in Italy.
Louis and Joseph: *look at one another like their nephew is completely insane*

[1] Neriene was the goddess of military valour, companion of Mars.
[2] Charlotte inherited her mother's heart problems OTL, and already in 1831, Joseph was using she and her mother's illnesses as a guise for obtaining a passport to come back to Europe. While Joseph was a cad and an opportunist extraordinaire, he was genuinely concerned with his wife and daughter's health and tried to persuade them several times to either seek treatment from doctors in Switzerland or England. Julie refused to leave Florence and given how the French reacted when Napoléon III arrived in Switzerland for his mother's funeral, it's unlikely they'd have allowed either woman to settle there*
[3] after the duc de Richelieu died, a royal decree announced that the title would be inherited by his sister's grandson, Armand Henri (who'd only marry in the 1840s).
[4] this was OTL unfortunately Napoléon III's foolish attempt at a coup and his having to go to England and America, the near continuous mourning the household was plunged into (first Madame Mere, then Queen Hortense, then Charlotte Bonaparte) and finally his imprisonment meant that Marie Louise married Edouard Thayer
[5] apparently Joseph's nickname in the family
[6] how Antonio Meucci came up with the idea for his new hygrograph on the voyage to Cuba after the ship encountered bad weather off Corsica OTL.
[7] Napoleon
[8] I have no idea what Spanish water infrastructure was like at this time @Drex @Kurt_Steiner but Meucci did this in Cuba in the late 1830s, early 1840s

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @LordKalvan @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell

PS: from what I read, Venice only got a steady source of clean, running water in 1888. Before that it basically remained at pre-Napoléonic levels. And yes, Boney did close up a lot of those wells OTL as well, mostly because they were either in the private homes of nobility or monasteries - although the Venerian Senate had signed several drcrees over the years that required both church and nobility to open their wells to the public at set times of the day. It was actually in your licensing for excavating said well that you had to agree to do this. And if you didn't, the Senate could order the reservoir to be filled in.

From what I remember, the water infrastructure in Spain was quite slow at growing due to the troubled caused by the "owner" of the water sources until the 1860-1870s period, with the "liberalization" of Spain ('68 Revolution et al). Cuba was something outside of the common rule, so to speak. So, unless you make Spain more liberal two decades ealier...

From what I remember, the water infrastructure in Spain was quite slow at growing due to the troubled caused by the "owner" of the water sources until the 1860-1870s period, with the "liberalization" of Spain ('68 Revolution et al). Cuba was something outside of the common rule, so to speak. So, unless you make Spain more liberal two decades ealier...
Was actually thinking that the Carlists get onto it as an order of business (Juan de Montizon was a fan of this type of thing OTL). It's a pretty "liberal" idea to have, but as Frankie points out to Uncle Joseph "did you try to do this when you ruled Spain?" (A question to both underline his failures and the fact that this would be "untainted" by liberal hands). The idea can be sold to the Carlists as "you know what King Joseph/the Afrancescados didn't do?"

But if it doesn't work, I'll just change it to that Meucci PROPOSED it in Spain but they weren't interested in the idea.

Damn. Frankie really doesnt fool around as The head of the Bonaparte family
Its good to be the king (or emperor), isn't it? :winkytongue:

Was thinking that by doing what he has, he follows Richelieu's advice of "royaliser la nation, nationaliser la royauté". All those things he has done for the Italians - the hospitals for the poor, the new parts of the Arsenale, Trieste, the water, the École Polytechnique that he has founded in Venice etc etc - has all gotten the names of "Ludovica", "Re Francesco", "Re Ferdinando", "Carolina" and "Maria Anna" stamped on it in a way that reminds the people making use of those things far more of who's to think than putting up statues of the monarch. He has made it so that the king is interwoven in the fabric of society in such a way that one cannot "remove" him without changing the whole society. And no matter how objectionable someone like Metternich may find it, not like they can then go and take these things away without doing the same as the very radicals they claim to despise would.

out of curiosity, what would happen if Carlo III of Parma were to die before marrying and having issue? Ex-Empress Marie Louise is duchess of Parma, and Frankie was barred from inheriting in 1818. Carlo II is too old and too unlikely to be able to obtain the dispensation to marry. His sister has no kids...the main claimants would be the Wettins, correct?

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Soundtrack: Vivaldi: Violin Concerto no. 4, F Min, RV297 "Winter" - Allegro non Molto

*interior* *Frankie's at breakfast* *with his kids and Amalie* *even if he's more reading the newspaper than paying attention to his kids* *we aren't shown what he's reading, just the headline "Greece Has an Heir!"* *zoom in shows the subtitle that tells us that King Othon and Queen Sophia are happy to announce the arrival of their firstborn, a hale and hearty son and heir they have named "Alexander"*
Raguse: *enters* your Majesty?
Frankie: *not even lowering the paper*
Raguse: your brother is here to see you.
Amalie: *looks up from where her hair is being combed out* Comte Walewski is here? I thought he was in Paris.
Raguse: No, madame. It's-
Frankie: the other one. *puts down the paper* *to Raguse* How much do you think he'll ask to go away?
Raguse: he wants to see you.
Frankie: pity we can't always get what we want, isn't it.
Raguse: shall I se-
Frankie: *sternly* Leopold, do not throw porridge at your sisters!
Leopold: *ignores the directive and next thing Karoline has a face full of porridge*
Karoline: *naturally does not take this lying down* *and next thing she is throwing food at her brother*
Frankie: *rolls eyes* *climbs up from the table* *scoops his son and daughter up* *puts them facing one another* *arranges it that Leopold's arms are on Karoline's shoulders* *Karoline's are on Leopold's* *like they're dancing* now...you both stand like that until you say you're sorry to one another and that you love one another, or you can keep standing like that all day. *to Amalie* keep an eye on them. And if they move before they've done what I said...you have my permission to Austerlitz them. *to his other daughter* come Therese *holds out hand*
Amalie: were are you going?
Frankie: well, in life, we might not always get what we want. But sometimes you get what you need.
Therese: *takes her father's hand* *sticks her tongue out at her siblings when she thinks her dad's not looking*
Frankie: Therese, do that again, and I will make you stand with them. *walks out of room*
Raguse: *looks down at two kids* you know...when Bonaparte said I needed to do more to deserve being named maréchal, I don't think this was what he meant. *watches as Leopold licks porridge off Karoline's face like a dog*
Amalie: *laughs at the picture*[1]

Therese: *practically skipping alongside her father* is vis like Uncle Riton? [2]
Frankie: *as they walk* more like...daddy's uncles Joseph and Louis.
Therese: I don't like Uncle Louis. He scares me.
Frankie: don't worry, lammchen, he used to scare his wife as well *looks at the Gerard portrait of Josephine, flanked by Gerard's portraits of Hortense and Eugène* *Hortense's portrait is still hung with black crepe*[3]
Therese: *seems mollified by this answer*
Frankie: *sits down in armchair in salon* *to footmen* remove the other chairs.
Therese: *watches them carrying the sofa out the other entrance to the room* why vey doing vat?
Frankie: *pulls her onto his knee* so that your uncle doesn't get any...ideas [4]
Usher: *opens doors once the sofa is gone* Monsieur Charles, Comte Léon
Léon: *pompously strides into the room*
Frankie: *whispers to his daughter* my-my, Toad of Toad Hall would probably have fit better [5]
Léon: beg your pardon?
Frankie: I wasn't talking to you, Monsieur Léon.
Léon: can we talk?
Frankie: you can speak, I can't promise that I'll listen
Therese: *leans into her dad to watch*
Léon: alone
Frankie: *at footmen* you heard the man.
*once alone*
Léon: *looks pointedly at Therese*
Frankie: *whispers something to her* *she jumps off his knee and starts walking around the room looking at the pictures of her various relatives* my good behaviour guarantor. Means that I won't say anything I'll regret.
Léon: of course.
Frankie: of course, your Majesty or your Serene Highness, whichever is comfortable for you, Monsieur Léon.
Léon: *baulks at this* *then seemingly decides to "catch more flies with honey"*
Frankie: *folds hands in lap* *amiably* now that all the...cock measuring is out of the way...how can I be of assistance?
Léon: *clearly surprised* since your Serene Highness offers...there is the matter I spoke of in my letters.
Frankie: I get more than twenty letters in a single day, how *pointedly* my father coped with running all of Europe...I have no idea.[6]
Léon: our father, sir.
Frankie: *innocently* isn't that what I said? So...what did you write about? *flashback to him burning the letters without even having opened them*
Léon: the terms and conditions of our father's will.
Frankie: *nods* what about them, Monsieur?
Léon: I wish to know if you plan to honour the terms, your Serene Highness.
Frankie: or?
Léon: pardon?
Frankie: the way in which you asked the question suggested that there is a second half to it, probably with what you will do if I do not respond in the way you wish. Or do you simply plan on throwing a tantrum like so many of my uncles do when I tell them "no".
Léon: no threats, no tantrums...I was simply hoping we could settle this as a matter between two gentlemen.
Frankie: I am glad to hear that. i was afraid my refusing to see you in London was going to be a matter of issue. Now...which were the terms you wish me to honour.
Léon: His Majesty, our father left me an inheritance. A rather sizeable one, three hundred thousand francs per year [7], from the timber harvested in the Moselle Département.
Frankie: that is a rather sizeable amount. After all, with that amount, the Mexican Republic could pay off the king of the French inside a decade.
Léon: *look like "why do I care?"*
Frankie: my sons were both only granted fifteen thousand francs by his Majesty, the king of France. Economies and all that, you understand hopefully. [8]
Léon: then your Serene Highness will not keep to the will?
Frankie: *snaps* Standeisky! [9]
Standeisky: *pops in through the other door* yes, sir?
Frankie: *to Léon in French* he's my treasurer, secretary, aide-de-camp, valet and coachman if need be. *to Standeisky in German* would you bring me my ledger? I can't remember where i left it. *Standeisky leaves* *calls Therese to him* *makes a fuss with her on his knee as he makes small talk with Léon while they wait for Standeisky* *turns out Léon has several more requests based on terms of the will* *he wishes to be entitled "prince" and to be allowed the surname "Bonaparte"*
Frankie: so we can have another Prince Napoléon Bonaparte to cause misery to the world?
Léon: not all sir, it was simply the wishes of our father.
Frankie: *bored tone as he looks up from remonstrating with Therese who is pulling at a loose thread where a button on his jacket has come off* why is it that when a man dies on a small island in the south Atlantic, watched over by loyal lackies and enemy guards alike...with nothing to leave as an inheritance, he thinks he can freely dispose of the inheritances of others?
Léon: our father was a far better ruler than many in Europe-
Frankie: do you know what our father also said? That there is no excusing a general who has taken knowledge acquired in the service of his country to deliver up her borders and her towns to the yoke of foreigners. That such an act condemns you by every principle of honour, religion or morality. And where was France in 1815? We had foreign troops in Paris. The Prussians wishing to blow up the Pont d'Iena. We were left in debt to foreign powers that took us until after his death to pay off. He preached liberté, egalié, fraternité by giving a liberty that multiplied the amount of widows and orphans in France by hundredfold, an equality that simply aped the actions of kings - he referred to Louis XVI as the grand bumpkin before he became emperor, and as "our beloved uncle" to my mother - and a fraternity that still tears France in two. *sarcastically* Of course he was a better ruler than many in Europe.
Standeisky: *returns with ledger*
Frankie: thank you, Colonel. *opens ledger* *piece of paper falls out* *Therese picks it up and hands it to him* thank you. *opens it* *to Léon* well, what do you know...found my copy of my father's will as well.
Léon: *shifts uncomfortably*
Frankie: *holds will up* *scans it for his place* *reads* ah- here it is. To my son, Charles Léon, I leave a sum of three hundred thousand francs -*to Léon* nothing about three hundred annually it seems. *reads* for the purchase of an estate. This is conditional of him entering the magistracy so that...blah-blah-blah *over top of page* were you planning on entering the magistracy, Monsieur?
Léon: *swallows*
Frankie: *reading* this amount is to be settled on him out of moneys due to Charles on a debt of honour and gratitude to me by his Royal Highness, Eugène, Viceroy of Italy, and through the kindness of her Majesty, the Empress. *to Léon* here's that part I was talking about where I said that a dead man feeling he has the right to request things no living man would dare. Unfortunately for you, once that sentence finishes, it goes on to the bequest to Comte Walewski's son. There is nothing about you being awarded the title Prince, the surname Bonaparte or that I am somehow beholden to a man such as yourself-
Léon: the Empress said that she has signed over the administration of the funds from Reichstadt to you.
Frankie: administration in terms of actually ensuring there are funds. I do not see a centime of that money. As for her not paying for you, don't worry, she doesn't even give me pocket money. *smiles* now, let's have a look and see what I can do for you. Now...I already settled your debts that you left behind in London - if I hadn't settled those debts, that lovely gentleman caller would've been there to slit your throat, not just beat you up. -Then there were other debts you've left in your wake in your journey from Innsbruck to Parma, then Parma here. Those are settled. Then we have the cost of your lodgings in Venice, that's twelve thousand francs a month. I have settled those. We have settled the financial inconveniences you caused to Monsieur le Baron Méneval- *smiles* how is he, by the way, I haven't seen him in years. If you see him, you must tell him to come visit me- *carries on running fingers down the ledger* then the inconvenience you caused to your mother and stepfather by taking them to court in an attempt to extort money from them. Then the same extortion racket towards Comte Walewski. Your outstanding rent on your apartments in Paris, your outstanding accounts to various tailors and that leaves us with a grand total of- Rezi, lammchen, can you read that *to Léon* my handwriting's terrible and she's just learning to read.
Therese: three...four...one...six...f...r
Frankie: *looks at her proudly* *then turns to Léon* so, three-thousand-four-hundred-and-sixteen francs is all I owe you, Monsieur. *hands it to Standeisky* *then stands up*
Standeisky: sir...?
Frankie: would you see that a cheque is given for Monsieur Leon to draw at the Banco Imperiale-Royale? I don't think there's that much money in the house.
Standeisky: before you do that sir...that amount is actually what the Comte Léon owes your Serene Highness.
Léon: *looks worried*
Frankie: *looks at ledger* *then hands it to his brother to confirm* it seems we're at an impasse, Monsieur. You have no money to pay, yet you owe me. When you return to Prince Metternich or King Louis Philippe- I'm not sure which of them funded this wild goose chase- tell them...maybe next time. I'm willing to cancel the debt provided you leave town within the hour. You do not ever trouble Comte Walewski, Baron Méneval or your mother for money again...I don't care if you go home to France, or go to America and settle among the Iowa or board a ship bound for Bombay...all non-discussable options, but we *this is the royal we* never want to even know that there exists a man such as Charles Léon ever again. Do we understand one another?
Léon: *doesn't say anything*
Frankie: I'm glad we had this opportunity to catch up. *smiles* enjoy your day, Toad of Toad Hall. *walks out of room with Therese and Standelsky*

*fade to black*

[1] this isn't Amalie being a disinterested mother, but more something along the lines of that she might be the main "maternal presence" that Karoline and Therese have (outside Tante Delinde). And rather than being the evil stepmom, she is probably more accepting of Karoline/Therese than what Fanny would be of Leopold (psychological case of the resentment of the absent mother for the ever-present "governess")
[2] Henri de Chambord. let's face it, I could see Frankie simply explaining it to his kids like this: it's simpler than dumping them into politics of who hates whom to simply play it off as "friends of daddy". "Oncle Riton" is probably just in private.
[3] mourning tradition that the portraits of the deceased would either be taken down or covered or festooned with black crepe until eighteen months after their death. And I wouldn't put it past Frankie that there are more portraits of the Beauharnais in the house than Bonapartes*
[4] aka sit down in Frankie's presence. It sounds petty, but Frankie allowing it is an immediate sign that he can be "soft"
[5] I know Wind in the Willows is still 70 years in the future, but this is more just to indicate both Frankie's low opinion of Léon (ironically, the previous name for Schloss Frohsdorf was "Krotenhof" (Toad Hall))
[6] Léon's guardian, Baron Ménéval. Even Napoléon berated the man's replacement (he got some severe freezer burn in Russia in 1812, and had to take off a few months to recover) with pointing to an overflowing inbox and saying "if Méneval were here, he'd have gotten rid of all of that. I wouldn't have to keep stopping to repeat myself!"
[7] actually, FWIG, that 300 000 francs was a once-off
[8] this is Frankie saying "no" to his brother by pointing out that his sons are both entitled to far less than the extravagant amount that Léon is claiming. Even when Léon was born the duc de Rovigo said of Napoléon's settlement on the boy that he will "cost the country's finances dearly as well as those of many gentlemen under the Empire and beyond"
[9] FWIG this is the same guy that became Governor of Illyria in 1849 OTL (he was a sort of equerry/ADC to Frankie since 1830, so likely, much like Marmont, he's been chilling in the background) from what I can find.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @LordKalvan @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell

Greece will have another Alexander! YAY! *Ottomans sweat proffuesly*

And damn! Way to put that arrogant snob on his place franz! you rock as always!

Greece will have another Alexander! YAY! *Ottomans sweat proffuesly*
It was either that or Constantine, but I figured there were enough Alexanders in the house of Württemberg to make it plausible. But Othon having a son and a reasonably politically savvy wife probably means that the political landscape looks very different in Greece. Yes, Amalia of Oldenburg played politics as well but Sophie's the sort of woman - my reading of her - that would go to Athens and insist on converting to Orthodoxy or remove Othon's Bavarian councillors - who'd read the situation far better than Amalia did. Sophie managed to live with her mismatched Dutch husband despite their massive differences for their whole marriage, so I suspect she knows how to play to the audience (I hope Alexandrine of Baden has it better than OTL).
And damn! Way to put that arrogant snob on his place franz! you rock as always!
Thank you
Charles Leon is going to end up in Sarawak, isn't he?
Undecided. Although that would be funny

brilliant way to resolve a big trouble
Figured it was probably easier than what Napoléon III did OTL where he even settled a pension on Léon (who naturally wanted more) but then engendered further bad blood by not acquiescing to other demands of Léon (the aforementioned terms of the will; something to do with the railways as well IIRC), so Léon took to doing what he always did: shaking down Walewski, Empress Eugènie, Comte Morny, even the Prince Imperial, for money. Napoléon III responded by banning him from Paris.

It's also why I decided to cut off with the dismissal instead of Frankie telling Standeisky to give Léon the cheque anyway.

Is it weird to think that Frankie's "school" includes swimming lessons for the girls as well as the boys? I know it took until the OTL 1860s for swimming to be seen as not "not entirely proper" for women of the upper class, However, they are in Venice and a prince/princess falling out of a gondola on a trip somewhere and drowning because she can't swim is...well not a good look. Worse because the "chaperone" is a Bonaparte.

Is it weird to think that Frankie's "school" includes swimming lessons for the girls as well as the boys? I know it took until the OTL 1860s for swimming to be seen as not "not entirely proper" for women of the upper class, However, they are in Venice and a prince/princess falling out of a gondola on a trip somewhere and drowning because she can't swim is...well not a good look. Worse because the "chaperone" is a Bonaparte.
Hard to tell. Considering the location, swimming lessons might be deemed vital, but perhaps a proper justification is needed, like one of the girls actually falling into the water and nearly drowning at some point. Such incident could easily make people forget what is "proper" or "not proper".

Morgenblätter (Morning Papers)
Soundtrack: Paul Wranitzky: Symphony in C Min, op. 31 'La Paix' - Andante Grazioso - Allegro Vivace

*establishing shot of Frohsdorf* *exterior* *the vicereine of Italy [1] and the duchesse de Berri are walking in the garden at Frohsdorf* *the duchesse de Berri has turned parts of it into a menagerie à la her establishment at Rosny* *so there are various animals wandering around* *we see a zebra* *and some gazelles mixed in with the fallow deer and sheep*
Duchesse de Berri: you've heard no doubt how the king of France has been forced to make peace in the most ridiculous circumstances.
Auguste: of course, Madame, your son *looks at Henri walking on ahead with his aunt and uncle by the kangaroo enclosure* is to be congratulated on the role that he played in being the architect of such a scheme.
Berri: I suspect he has been taking lessons from your late husband, cousin, on how to rule well rather than how to rule greatly as some might wish him to. *looks pointedly at some of the more hardcore courtiers that are not impressed by this scheme*
Auguste: Eugène would have no doubt been flattered by the hommage, Madame. Although I suspect that he owes it more to the tutelage of another.
Berri: that is what the duc d'Orléans tells. After all, what other conclusion can be drawn when you don't know that his Serene Highness was the one who was hoping for armed intervention from the other powers to depose the duc [2]
Auguste: would it not have been better for your son to attempt to take power by such means though? Every passing year no doubt undermines his chances.
Berri: and then he will be in the same position the duc de Reichstadt should've been in 1830 had Prince Metternich had his way. A ruler of France imposed on the French by foreign bayonets. If there is one thing that his Highness has taught Riton it's the value of waiting for your opportunity. As of this moment, the duc d'Orléans' government is weak - changed three times since the elections in March - and it shows. His heir might have two sons now, but they are the sons of a Protestant mother who the duc has not obliged to convert. His spare is married to another Protestant. His eldest two daughters are married to Protestants. France can still remember the terreur blanche [3] and no one wishes for a third such Saint-Barthélemy.
Auguste: Amélie writes to tell me that your daughter is now charged with raising his grandson.
Berri: she doesn't keep the boy out of spite as the duc claims. Then again, he believes a great many things about my children and I that are best left unsaid. As soon as they got back to Naples, Louise offered the boy to his grandfather. On the condition that his father be allowed to raise him- *aside* poor man, to lose his wife in such horrific circumstances, then faced with the prospect of losing the only link he has to her, is it any wonder that he saw accompanying Louise to Naples as a better prospect? -the duc refused to agree to those terms unless Ferdinando lifted the embargo. My brother is many things...stubborn as a mule is one of them.
Auguste: he did not fear the French king sending ships to Naples?
Berri: for the French king to do that while the czar and czarina are both in town would no doubt have caused...considerable awkwardness. Given how the baby's uncle is the czar's adjutant.
Auguste: the duc de Reichstadt's doing or?
Berri: indirectly yes. Reuniting myself with Louise and Riton...no doubt played a big role in why Louise agreed to such a thing, even if she might've found it otherwise repulsive. But I suspect that he would've been in two minds about it, given how he was raised by his grandfather and your sister.
Auguste: if he's anything like his father, he'd hate being put in such a spot.
Berri: exactly.
Auguste: you aren't worried that the duc's children have families of their own while his Royal Highness remains unwed...your daughter has no children of her own yet?
Berri: *smiles enigmatically like she knows better* in time...as my sister-in-law would say...it's all in God's hands. My sister in Florence remarked on how charmed the czarina was with Henri. And the princesse de Salerno has invited him around to call several times in the last month.
Auguste: *looks at Madame Royal who is now reading something her husband's given her* *the woman is frowning* will she allow a Russian grand duchess? Or the czar allow his daughter to Paris? After how she treated his brother-
Berri: his brother was a boor. Who thought that it was his goal to be the new Bonaparte. And if I look at his nephew in Holland, it seems to run in the family.
Auguste: *smiles* still Orléans has finally succeeded in his aim of getting an emperor's daughter for his son- You know that he offered Chartres for Théodelinde? *tone of relief* -had Amélie not told me that he was encouraging the suit for the duc de Nemours instead, I would've agreed- albeit that it's the wrong emperor for the wrong son.
Berri: I heard. Although given Riton's descriptions of how her sisters' behaved when they first arrived, I'm not sure that Mademoiselle Janvière will be quite what the French are expecting.
Auguste: Amélie has tried to manage with her, but I'm afraid that being forced to direct an education by letter to D. Pierre [4] and avoiding the Sénat thinking she is sitting in Venice and trying to manage their heir and spare's education...one can only imagine how that has fared. Still, she has done better with Paulette and Françoise...and I dare say she took your example, cousin, in taking in Isabelle and Marie [5]
Berri: Louise tells me that she has managed most admirably with all the girls, not just Pierre's children. And there are many who adore her. Even the Veneziani in public.
Auguste: when she first informed me that she was going to Venice, I'll admit, that I had my doubts. When she told me that his Serene Highness had summoned her...I thought perhaps he had marriage in mind. I do not have any condescension towards him, you understand, but I have been trying to disentangle my children from the Bonaparte legacy for so long that...all I could do was want to scream at her not to go. But she is a married woman, a widow with a child, what right do I have to tell her how to manage her affairs? But when I found what he actually wanted her to... To be frank, to be his wife would've been a step up from that at least [6].
Berri: if he had married her, they'd have called her social climber. From what I saw when I went to Naples with his daughters, his general setting is absent-minded bachelor who forgets to eat and sleep. I suspect he wanted Amélie to not only grant a veneer of respectability but also the sort of woman who wouldn't run screaming from the challenge. All my experience of him tells me that he intended it as a gesture of kindness to a lonely young widow, two children who are homesick in a strange country, and not, as the duc d'Orléans portrays it... That Amélie is the keeper of some harem.
Auguste: *makes a "I know, but I still don't like it" face*
Berri: it once more shows that the duc has no mind of his own coming up with such slanders. Lord Melbourne has a sex scandal with Mademoiselle Hastings and suddenly that is what the duc de Reichstadt and Amélie are doing. Maybe if the duc discovered some originality, Europe would take him seriously.
Henri de Chambord: it seems he has, maman *hands her the same newspaper clipping Angoulême gave Madame Royal to read*
*headline reads as "Prince Bonaparte to be acknowledged as father's heir: Napoléon's will to be honored".

*fade to black*

[1] Auguste Amalie of Bavaria, Eugene de Beauharnais' widow. While there are probably some of the stuffier courtiers who can't believe the "insult", the fact is that Auguste is the sister of Empress Karoline, and half-sister to the Archduchess Sophie, mother-in-law to the late emperor of Brasil, future king of Sweden and duke of Modena
[2] this might be Frankie playing to the stereotype of a Bonaparte being a war-mongerer, and attempting to cajole the powers into war so that they accepted Henri and Modena's "milder" sentiments about a trade embargo.
[3] of 1815. Many of the victims were Protestants or non-Catholics (in Nîmes, for instance, the Protestant women of the city were publicly whipped; while the Mameluke Imperial Guard were massacred at Marseilles; to say nothing of the happenings in Anjou, Avignon and Toulouse). Ergo, Louis Philippe catering to the Protestants has alienated the same portion of the middle class that were responsible for that chaos. It was only after 1830 that the term "White Terror" was used for it and various aristocratic names came to be coupled with it, particularly names of ones who were "enemies of the regime". It's why the saying came about that "you haven't known true hatred unless you lived through 1815".
[4] Pedro II of Brasil
[5] Isabel, duchess of Goias (who Amélie adopted OTL) and Maria, duchess of Céara (OTL countess of Igaucu who despite it being a provision of Pedro I's will, her mother declined to send her to Europe for a European education). As friends with Frankie, once Maria II marries Sebastião, Amélie gets the Brasilian senate to "uphold" the will, using the Marchioness dos Santos' remarriage as a "rationale". Maria's legitimated and granted the title of duchess of Céara by his will TTL, although how much standing it has is debatable
[6] this is less Auguste being disdainful of Frankie putting Amélie to work as his office manager-cum-secretary than possibly her conveying the scandal it's perhaps caused in Germany: a widow moving in with a bachelor and essentially managing his affairs without the "respectability" of being his wife.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
if the people of France revolt against Orleans, Henri should or rather needs to head that rising. Better to become king with French swords, than be invited back after the fact. A king who is made by the people can be unmade by them as well.